shape
carat
color
clarity

Super ideal cut appearing yellow in some lighting

beigenarwhal

Rough_Rock
Yes WF will definitely understand the color in the stone. Their quality control knows all about it no doubt
What a shame OP has to go through this disappointment and re-do her whole engagement ring.

I apologize as I'm not sure I am following your response to my post (I haven't had coffee yet, so maybe that's why!) I wasn't trying to imply WF was pulling the wool over OP's eyes, or that their quality control did something wrong. It is hard to choose a stone online and generally PS recommendations are to see superideal stones in person, in a range of colors, so you can gauge your tolerance. Once you you know what range you are comfortable with, then you can select online stones in that range. Especially with a WF ACA, I'd feel extremely comfortable purchasing sight unseen if it was in the color range I wanted.

That being said, each diamond has its own personality and falls on the color scale differently (there are high Gs that are really close to Fs, and low Gs that are closer to the H side). Add to that, we all have different skin tones and environments that the diamond will reflect back. So there is still a little gamble, which is where great return policies come into play!

My reading of OP's comments is that she is surprised by how the diamond is viewing in some situations, and again it's going to be her call whether she wants to try with another stone or keep the one she has. I don't think she'll have to remake her whole ering as it should be fairly simple to swap out a stone of similar proportions (and all ACAs fall in a pretty tight range of measurements).

But in any case, I am confident OP will find a solution she is happy with! :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire I would ask if you could tell a difference when you went from an I to an H, but I am not sure you would give me a straight answer :)
It would take me two color grades to see the difference from top view.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot I had this picture on my phone but thought it would be a good one to illustrate how surroundings can affect a diamond’s color. This is my first super ideal, an ACA .4ct D. This is the only area at my house I can get beautiful black arrow pics. But, as you can see, my beige house made this D look yellow.
D5C19A71-8FD8-42F1-A6F4-3E049A06EB9E.jpeg

That’s not to say what you are seeing in your I is not actual tint from you diamond. I’m currently trading in my I for a G because the tint in my I bothers me.

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
My recent J ACA is definitely a 'high J, white from top, side, in all lighting. I feel blessed to have found such a white J. Can't wait to see what you decide on ( I LOVE high colour DEF stones but we wanted to maximize size and got lucky!)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@daydreamer24 You’ll find a variety of opinions and experiences on here, but in the end none of that changes what your eyes see. Anyone can look at a picture on the internet and make assumptions (and accusations, even), but the example @Wewechew shared above — with her D-color diamond demonstrating pretty obvious environmental impact — would definitely give me pause about rushing into any sort of diamond swap & expense without first doing the most due diligence I could. Is it possible to order in another diamond one or two color grades higher than your current diamond so that you can compare it to your current diamond for yourself — in your environment — and see what difference if any a higher color may make? That would be the ideal way to ensure you end up with the right ‘ideal’ diamond for you. :wavey:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You don't have to be "color sensitive" to know that an I color is classified as having tint. It's a fact. How it "faces up" has nothing to do with it. The body color will be the TRUE color of the damond.

The best way to purchase a diamond is NOT sight unseen and/or mounted in a setting. You need to see it loose, in your own environment and go from there. The mounting can play a part, too, either partially masking or enhancing the color depending on the metal and prongs.

10000% agree.

I have an E SI2 superideal. I also have several other color grade diamonds. I brought my E around the house along with a yellower stone. I went into all lighting situations. There were some lightings where you could see the transparent color of the stones from face up (direct very bright overhead lighting). There were some where you could see the diamonds transparent color from face up (diffused side natural light from the sides). I looked at both stones with the blue LED light in the refrigerator. My conclusion, my E literally never looked anything but white. My ungraded diamond turned anything from pale transparent vanilla white to bright lemony yellow. There were times when the two side by side were fairly close in color, but the second stone always retained body color. As a consumer I highly respect the idea of a superideal being worth the extra cost. The light play and otherworldly laser like light flashes are a valuable aspect of their beauty: a superideal has a three dimensional faceting plan that results in unexpected “rolling” bursts of light. This is delightful. But body color is still body color and you can still see body color in a tinted stone even in a superideal if you are color sensitive. And some secondary tints (green, grey, brown, yellow which are not mentioned on the grading report) can make the body color more or less obvious. I don’t agree with people who say that a superideal’s face up color is just because it’s throwing off the light it sees in the environment. Some Superideals have body color and you can see it. A Sales Associate -should- be able to articulate color differences just as well as I can.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot I had this picture on my phone but thought it would be a good one to illustrate how surroundings can affect a diamond’s color. This is my first super ideal, an ACA .4ct D. This is the only area at my house I can get beautiful black arrow pics. But, as you can see, my beige house made this D look yellow.

That’s not to say what you are seeing in your I is not actual tint from you diamond. I’m currently trading in my I for a G because the tint in my I bothers me.
Yup, this is exactly the issue. All diamonds reflect colors in their environment. That said, H/I will have more tint than D/E, but this pic is a great example of how no stone ever looks icy white 100% of the time

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@daydreamer24 You’ll find a variety of opinions and experiences on here, but in the end none of that changes what your eyes see. Anyone can look at a picture on the internet and make assumptions (and accusations, even), but the example @Wewechew shared above — with her D-color diamond demonstrating pretty obvious environmental impact — would definitely give me pause about rushing into any sort of diamond swap & expense without first doing the most due diligence I could. Is it possible to order in another diamond one or two color grades higher than your current diamond so that you can compare it to your current diamond for yourself — in your environment — and see what difference if any a higher color may make? That would be the ideal way to ensure you end up with the right ‘ideal’ diamond for you. :wavey:
I was thinking the same thing... if you could bring in 1 or 2 other stones to see the difference in your world that would help you make a change or make peace with it.
I do think that people are taking about 2 different things here. If the diamond has body color, that’s it’s body color. It’s not just environmental reflections.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go back to her original post and look at her pictures, you clearly see that in the first picture it looks yellow and in the second and third it looks white. Body color is body color and it can’t change that drastically. An I color stone is an I color stone and that doesn’t change. Environment certainly can change the look of what the diamond picks up. A higher color might give you a better chance of lessening the environmental effect but it won’t take it away completely.
Realistically most people can’t purchase two or three diamonds outright to bring them home and test them out in their different lighting. Most folks try to find the balance in their budget for size, color and clarity. It might be that she decides to exchange the stone for another but I doubt that she can go from an I to a couple of color grades higher without giving up size. We can only go by her story and her photos and she finds most of the time that the diamond is white enough for her - not just in every room. I think it is unfair to tell her to return the stone - period - unless you know for sure that it would change her circumstance. I wouldn’t want to bear the responsibility of telling someone to spend more money only to find out that it wasn’t the total answer. I think she can think this through and decide for herself - considering her budget and circumstances - what is the right choice for her. For the most part, most of us are not diamond experts - only consumers. We can share our experiences with her but can’t guarantee a different outcome for her. The good news is that she chose a reputable vendor to deal with so she doesn’t have to be stuck with a diamond that she may be unhappy with forever.

Last edited:

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
While I appreciate the SA's input, it sounds like a SA. She is essentially saying both are great but clearly there is a difference or there wouldn't be a color grade differential nor would there be a price difference. It is honestly, coming from my position of being married 30 years this Fall, ridiculous to ask a woman on the verge of being proposed to "which would she be upset to have lost"... listen, we've all been there. I was there many years ago. We started dreaming of that proposal from as far back as we can remember so when that ring is like literally mere breaths away, we are like WE WANT IT! At that point of the journey, we could care less about H vs I... we don't even hear what the SA is saying to us. The only thing we hear is the voice in our head saying, "Get that ring on my finger STAT!".
Just tell your wonderful fiancé that it was very overwhelming and this was just something that isn't something one can conceptualize until it is experienced. So you didn't know what the I color would actually be like, ESPECIALLY GIVEN you selected the diamond over the INTERNET. Just be honest and say that you saw IMMEDIATELY when he presented you with the ring that it screamed "yellow". And then go into the whole thing about that this is THEEE ring, the beginning of your starting your lives together and it just has to be right. "We can never get this moment back", so we need to make it "right" from the get-go. Bottom line: The SA clearly made it sound as if the difference was negligible yet it clearly isn't IRL.
As for your mounting, as long as a new diamond is of relatively similar measurements they should be able to mount the new diamond in it. Gosh, you sound like me... I always have some "special situation"... I completely get you!
Thank you for your advice - I think you are absolutely right - at the time I just wanted the diamond ASAP, and I thought I was ok with the colour and was not colour sensitive, so told my bf to go ahead with an I. I guess, maybe when the SAs are assessing the colours, they also only look at it in one type of lighting/environment which may not bring out the colour differences? (I may be incorrect in that assumption).

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock

WOW, thank you @Wewechew for sharing this picture and experience. The arrows are indeed beautiful! I love being able to see clear distinct arrows in a diamond, but its also helpful for me to know that this "sudden striking yellow" can happen to any colour. This tells me that it really is the environment that can make a huge impact on the colour appearance of the diamond. Thank you!

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
Thank you to each and every one of you that took the time to respond to me and share your advice, suggestions, experiences and most importantly your understanding! I honestly felt so lost and was wondering if I am going a little crazy.. but its been so reassuring to hear from you all. I've been reading your responses over and over again (yes, I did tell you about going a little crazy!)

I took some time to try to enjoy my diamond, and look at it as much as I can in different environments and lighting (even spilled boiling water over my hand, when I was watching my finger on the water filter). I also cleaned it using warm water and washing up detergent - it sparkled so much more despite only having the ring for 10 days I even found bits of dirt come out! I changed the lamp shade of my living room which was previously yellow and found that I haven't seen the diamond as shocking YELLOW anymore, which has been nice.

I previously noticed the slight yellow / warmth tint in some lightings, which didn't bother me, but I don't know if its because of the shocking YELLOW colour I witnessed which may have now messed with my head a little - the slight tint also bothers me. However, based on my many readings on PS, it seems that it would have only been a matter of time till it got to me?

I have hinted things with my fiancé and he is happy to change it to a H - he was previously deciding between the H and I, and I was the one that told him to go with the I... Although I do know that deep down he would prefer to stick to the current diamond, because that is the one he proposed to me with.

Long story short - where I am at now, I am continuing to monitor and see if I am ok with the diamond, but I've also reached out to WF and asked for them to look at some diamonds for me.
I narrowed it down to 3 - 2 G colours and 1 H colour. However, unfortunately the G colours are NOT entirely eye clean and apparently an inclusion can be seen from 5 inches. I've asked for further details on what the inclusions look like, as I am thinking whether I would be ok with it. I have not been looking at my current diamond close up (but that may be due to the fact I know its eye clean). The H on the other hand is eye clean.

Can you let me know your thoughts on the diamonds - I will upload the pictures momentarily.

Thank you in advance!!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Don't you feel empowered? Just knowing you CAN make the change if you CHOOSE to... but you don't have to do ANYTHING should you deicide not to!

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
Order:

4 diamonds: G SI1, H VS2, G SI1
3 diamonds: G SI1, H VS2, G SI1 + I VS2 (for comparison purposes)

For me, I can’t really tell the difference in colours - in fact the H looks a little grey to me?

As for the ASET images etc. They look the same to me? Similar proportions I’d say.

424319E4-4C8B-41EF-B564-806BD90C47B1.jpeg
DB74B268-5D9B-4CAC-A43D-4C3ADB9F6AC2.jpeg
2298F014-3F3B-44DD-B0A2-D177943C7517.jpeg
87A117ED-EED2-4D02-AF7B-9AA089822FC4.jpeg

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
Don't you feel empowered? Just knowing you CAN make the change if you CHOOSE to... but you don't have to do ANYTHING should you deicide not to!
Definitely! I’m so glad I went to a reputable vendor that has such flexible policies. I read another thread about regrets on colour (from enchanted diamonds) and the buyer was in a situation where she wouldn’t be able to upgrade/exchange without making a loss. So I definitely feel a lot more fortunate - I can return (within the next 2 weeks) or upgrade whenever I want.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Yes, they are a really awesome vendor. To my eye, the G on the left appears as the most colorless. And it looks like that one has a smaller table (yum!)?... am I seeing it correctly? If so, I would go with that one.

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
Yes, they are a really awesome vendor. To my eye, the G on the left appears as the most colorless. And it looks like that one has a smaller table (yum!)?... am I seeing it correctly? If so, I would go with that one.
Yes, it does! Haha I didn’t even notice. 55.7 vs 56.7 for the H.

I’ll wait to see what WF say about the inclusion. If it’s an inclusion that is barely noticeable, like a spec of dust, would you go for that, or opt for the H which is completely eye clean?

Also; do u see a big difference between the I and the H and then the G?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I do see it (but obviously I'm looking for it and I know it is there)... but it most definitely is not the contrast that was the case with the photo of your current I and the H you didn't take.
That's interesting... see if you can put that photo up against these. I think that perhaps your I is a warmer I, closer to a J, perhaps. Irregardless, now you are here and you may be getting a G so all is well in the world! I think we need to see what the eye-visible inclusion is to be able to give input on it. So if the G on the left is not eye clean enough for you, what is the deal with the other G?

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
Order:

4 diamonds: G SI1, H VS2, G SI1
3 diamonds: G SI1, H VS2, G SI1 + I VS2 (for comparison purposes)

For me, I can’t really tell the difference in colours - in fact the H looks a little grey to me?

As for the ASET images etc. They look the same to me? Similar proportions I’d say.

424319E4-4C8B-41EF-B564-806BD90C47B1.jpeg
DB74B268-5D9B-4CAC-A43D-4C3ADB9F6AC2.jpeg
2298F014-3F3B-44DD-B0A2-D177943C7517.jpeg
87A117ED-EED2-4D02-AF7B-9AA089822FC4.jpeg

Just adding some more numbers for reference. WF have said both the G diamonds are not completely eye clean, but waiting for them to get back to me at what angle/distance is an inclusion visible and what inclusion it is. I would prefer to go with a G for colour reasons, but if the inclusions are quite easily visible even from 5/6 inches, then I perhaps would be inclined to go with the H.

any help greatly appreciated!

Left to Right in photo (with 3 diamonds)

(1) G SI1 - HCA score = 0.9

Depth - 61.6
Table - 55.7
Crown Angle - 34.7
Star % - 52
Pavilion Angle - 40.7
Crown % 15.3
Lower Girdle - 76

(2) H VS2 - HCA Score = 0.8
Depth - 61.7
Table - 56.7
Crown Angle - 34.6
Star % - 53
Pavilion Angle - 40.6
Crown % 14.9
Lower Girdle - 77

(3) G SI1 - HCA score = 0.5
Depth - 60.6
Table - 56.2
Crown Angle - 34.2
Star % - 50
Pavilion Angle - 40.6
Crown % 15
Lower Girdle - 77

My current diamond
I VS2 (didn't check the HCA score)
Depth - 61.4
Table - 56.2
Crown Angle - 34.7
Star % - 48
Pavilion Angle - 40.6
Crown % 15.2
Lower Girdle - 76

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
Yes, I do see it (but obviously I'm looking for it and I know it is there)... but it most definitely is not the contrast that was the case with the photo of your current I and the H you didn't take.
That's interesting... see if you can put that photo up against these. I think that perhaps your I is a warmer I, closer to a J, perhaps. Irregardless, now you are here and you may be getting a G so all is well in the world! I think we need to see what the eye-visible inclusion is to be able to give input on it. So if the G on the left is not eye clean enough for you, what is the deal with the other G?

In fact the H in the original comparison pic I put up is the same H as the one I've posted today. So you are saying the H has a big contrast with my current I, compared to the Gs and H?

Both G's are not completely eye clean. but will see what WF come back with on the actual inclusion.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

+1. Also, looking at the numbers which are similar to OP’s current stone: table is smaller than others, height of crown is taller proportionally, which gives the crown a nice puffier dimension, and LGF is 76 which broadens the flashes of light, again, just like the Op’s current stone.

OP, you picked a beautiful stone to begin with, and this new G has very similar dimensions. I think it has potential. The dimensions you picked are what I and others here look for (small table, high crown angle and height, smaller LGF percentage). Some feel this gives the flashes of light and the 3D dimensions of the diamond a chunkier look.

So in addition to buying different light bulbs, shades and repainting your walls to eliminate yellow tones, I’d suggest you also compare your current stone with the first G.

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Just adding some more numbers for reference. WF have said both the G diamonds are not completely eye clean, but waiting for them to get back to me at what angle/distance is an inclusion visible and what inclusion it is. I would prefer to go with a G for colour reasons, but if the inclusions are quite easily visible even from 5/6 inches, then I perhaps would be inclined to go with the H.

any help greatly appreciated!

Left to Right in photo (with 3 diamonds)

(1) G SI1 - HCA score = 0.9

Depth - 61.6
Table - 55.7
Crown Angle - 34.7
Star % - 52
Pavilion Angle - 40.7
Crown % 15.3
Lower Girdle - 76

(2) H VS2 - HCA Score = 0.8
Depth - 61.7
Table - 56.7
Crown Angle - 34.6
Star % - 53
Pavilion Angle - 40.6
Crown % 14.9
Lower Girdle - 77

(3) G SI1 - HCA score = 0.5
Depth - 60.6
Table - 56.2
Crown Angle - 34.2
Star % - 50
Pavilion Angle - 40.6
Crown % 15
Lower Girdle - 77

My current diamond
I VS2 (didn't check the HCA score)
Depth - 61.4
Table - 56.2
Crown Angle - 34.7
Star % - 48
Pavilion Angle - 40.6
Crown % 15.2
Lower Girdle - 76
DARN IT!... I LOVE the proportions of the 1st G!
Are these the only 2 Gs they have as viable options? Will they be having any more coming down the pipeline anytime soon?
Do I dare ask or will your fiancé literally hunt me down if I utter these words: What about an F??? (You can't blame a girl for trying LOL!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results