shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We are in the process of setting DW's oval shaped, green jadeite cabochon, and would appreciate a little help from our experts here. Our US jeweler hasn't had much experience with jadeite, and I think our cab is sitting too low in the setting as designed. I just don't know enough to offer advice on how to correct the issue.

When I look at settings on the Kathy Jade site it appears their cabs are set on a flat disc shaped to match the base of the stone, and with the prongs being the only thing holding the stone in place. This allows the stone to be raised up level with the top of the surrounding halo such that the entire stone is visible.

Am I correct, or is there some additional mechanism that helps hold the stone in place? This is a typical example of what I'm seeing on Kathy

Insp 4.jpg

Secondly, is the flat disc the cab sits on usually fully closed or is there an area open to the finger similar to how DW's boulder opal was set?

Opal Pendant DK 4.jpg

Thank you so much for your help. Our design is done except for this little problem.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
@prs I have a Kathy Jade ring. The cab is thin, 3mm with a flat base, open back and sits above the metal rim. The prongs are the only thing holding it in place. There's a metal structure underneath the metal rim giving it more height.
20211114_192352.jpg

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
We are in the process of setting DW's oval shaped, green jadeite cabochon, and would appreciate a little help from our experts here. Our US jeweler hasn't had much experience with jadeite, and I think our cab is sitting too low in the setting as designed. I just don't know enough to offer advice on how to correct the issue.

When I look at settings on the Kathy Jade site it appears their cabs are set on a flat disc shaped to match the base of the stone, and with the prongs being the only thing holding the stone in place. This allows the stone to be raised up level with the top of the surrounding halo such that the entire stone is visible.

Am I correct, or is there some additional mechanism that helps hold the stone in place? This is a typical example of what I'm seeing on Kathy

Insp 4.jpg

Secondly, is the flat disc the cab sits on usually fully closed or is there an area open to the finger similar to how DW's boulder opal was set?

Opal Pendant DK 4.jpg

Thank you so much for your help. Our design is done except for this little problem.

Usually prongs holding the cab in place. Fully closed backing only if your stone benefits having the backing for glowy effect. If your stone doesn’t glow, then don’t bother with backing. Usually the back doesn’t sit so low such that it’s touching the finger. Should be slightly elevated though it’s all design specific of course.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lovinggems how did the bangle hunt go? Did it work out? Pics?

Or was it not the bangle of your dreams?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a blue. I now want everything green again!!!!!!! I just thought to own one blue. I don't dislike it.

The earrings were bargain bin finds from Jasmine in the very very early part of buying jadeite when I knew nothing.

Blue Bangle.png
Blue bangle 2.png

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl still in the works.
What colour is next for you?
Emojis disabled?

Emojis do not work for me at all!!! Really frustrating as I like using them.

I would like a cheap full green. Haha those are contradictory terms I know but a girl can dream!

My other super green one is so pretty I'm only wearing it out on special occasions. I checked the prices and they are totally yiiiikes for anything green. No idea how I managed to buy that one but I sure as heck can't afford to replace it if it broke! It's bright green in real life. Like bright, easily spotted from across the room green!

PXL_20210919_005648123.jpg

This latest one is meant to be an everyday one as it's more modestly priced and probably more replaceable.

PXL_20211118_235543059.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guess who watched Wish Dragon and wanted to copy the drop pendant from the movie?

Guess who has an awesome big sister who found her a bright green drop pendant?

Little Sis that's who!!!

So pleased I found this for her. Bright green. Came back from the lab marked as bright green.

mmexport1635827015695.jpg

mmexport1635494993588.jpg

IMG-20211119-WA0004~2.jpg

Also absconded with my lavender flower ring but she's my baby so who cares!!!

IMG-20211116-WA0018.jpg

AJadecent Angle

Rough_Rock
Hey! I need your opinions for my upcoming purchase, since I'm looking for landscape carvings now cause they're my favorite type of designs on jade. Color I don't really prioritize as long as it's pretty and goes well with said design. This one caught my eye due to it having spots of green on random areas + the grey giving it an edgy look, although one small nitpick is the odd crystalline structure noticeable next to the left tree that seemed to have been there even before the cutting and polishing process. What do you guys think? The price for this piece will be $412.45 tax included (formerly $450).
il_1140xN.2865196691_j4op.jpg il_1140xN.2865196573_s3rf.jpg il_1140xN.2865196607_rjti.jpg
Piece next to window in a sunny day:
IMG_5898.jpg IMG_5899.jpg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Hey! I need your opinions for my upcoming purchase, since I'm looking for landscape carvings now cause they're my favorite type of designs on jade. Color I don't really prioritize as long as it's pretty and goes well with said design. This one caught my eye due to it having spots of green on random areas + the grey giving it an edgy look, although one small nitpick is the odd crystalline structure noticeable next to the left tree that seemed to have been there even before the cutting and polishing process. What do you guys think? The price for this piece will be $412.45 tax included (formerly $450).
il_1140xN.2865196691_j4op.jpg il_1140xN.2865196573_s3rf.jpg il_1140xN.2865196607_rjti.jpg
Piece next to window in a sunny day:
IMG_5898.jpg IMG_5899.jpg

Nice one. Good price. Maybe if they can change the red bead to a green one, or even a lavender one, that would be
better.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I just realised this pendant is in USD. I don't know about pricing. I feel jadeite has become ridiculous in pricing and some vendors can be a rip-off. Not that this one is a rip-off. Just in general, many items are not worth it.

AJadecent Angle

Rough_Rock
I just realised this pendant is in USD. I don't know about pricing. I feel jadeite has become ridiculous in pricing and some vendors can be a rip-off. Not that this one is a rip-off. Just in general, many items are not worth it.

Yeah I understand what you mean, I've had that discussion with that seller earlier in regards of jade prices skyrocketing, but I find the price still fair as long as I like it and it's untreated of course. Also I probably would replace the beads too but they'll be used as a fidgeting piece. :lol:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I understand what you mean, I've had that discussion with that seller earlier in regards of jade prices skyrocketing, but I find the price still fair as long as I like it and it's untreated of course. Also I probably would replace the beads too but they'll be used as a fidgeting piece. :lol:

Yeah, sometimes, prices are so high but if you like a piece, can't be helped. Plus it isn't like this lovely pendant of yours is so high in price. It's reasonable.

Oh, get them to change the bead to purple or green, and instead of the gold bead, a green spacer to cap it off so it goes with the bottom green spacer bead. It would be so lovely with the black thick rope alone.

Jadeite always looks so quiet and elegant.

AJadecent Angle

Rough_Rock
I feel like I should've updated you guys alot sooner, but you know... Life and the unfortunate new variant that is spreading like wildfire again. :eek2:
Here's some pics of the black jade landscape carving alongside a nephrite carving I took probably 2 weeks ago, now to decide what to get my mother for Christmas :D
IMG_6530.jpg IMG_6532.jpg IMG_6534.jpg IMG_6536.jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My search is over for now. What a long and painful process trying to buy a jadeite bangle. Thanks @mellowyellowgirl for all the useful tips on shipping, paying and how to put the darn bangle on.
Photo_1638839644293.jpg Photo_1638839644561.jpg Photo_1638839644838.jpg Photo_1638831317811.jpg

@Lovinggems I really like your bangle. Not only does it have a great combination of green and ice, but the proportions are very elegantly suited to your wrist. :love:

Does it slide on and off easily?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
@Lovinggems I really like your bangle. Not only does it have a great combination of green and ice, but the proportions are very elegantly suited to your wrist. :love:

Does it slide on and off easily?

Thanks @prs

The bangle is slightly smaller than my preference, I haven't taken it off yet. I have to use body oil and hand cream to put this one on and it hurts a bit putting it on, so I've been squishing my bones everyday to try and soften my hands. Next time I'll buy a larger size or a jade pendant on a watch strap, these seem to be pretty popular as well.

Reactions: prs

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @prs

The bangle is slightly smaller than my preference, I haven't taken it off yet. I have to use body oil and hand cream to put this one on and it hurts a bit putting it on, so I've been squishing my bones everyday to try and soften my hands. Next time I'll buy a larger size or a jade pendant on a watch strap, these seem to be pretty popular as well.

It looks wonderful on you, and very elegant on your wrist. Based on your description i think it would be what’s considered the right size although I understand the preference for a larger size.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
It looks wonderful on you, and very elegant on your wrist. Based on your description i think it would be what’s considered the right size although I understand the preference for a larger size.

@peacechick thank you .
Took 3 goes over 1 week before I successfully put it on.
Anyone else looking at bangles etc? Please share photos.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the sake of tradition I'm going to post my beads on this thread.

I love them so much!!! @ChaiK your advice was spot on regarding size. I don't think I would have been happy with the 6.6mm and this colour is good enough for me.

IMG-20220112-WA0008.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results