shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Like Icy, I have been shopping during their recent sales too. Mine is a lavender jade pendant which I love ++. 20181101_141928.jpg 20181101_142101.jpg

Yummy. I'd get this too if it were still available!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm learning a huge amount about jade here, thank you so much for all your very learned posts. My beginner's understanding of jade texture is that tighter grain, higher density stones can be polished to a better, higher luster, and it's this finish that determines the quality of the texture. Am I even in the ballpark on this?

I know lavender jade never has much water, but presumably texture quality is still important? Would appreciate your comments on the quality of this lavender jadeite bead necklace
Lavender Jade beads 3.jpg
Lavender Jade beads 12.jpg

If the price is right, GRAB.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
KJ has very stylish settings, compared to FB Jas.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is difficult to find a strongly colored, highly transluscent lavender jade. So it’s a balance of what you want. Even opaque strongly colored lavenders are expensive. Highly transluscent lavenders with a noticeable color also command price.

The photos you posted are a balance of both for beads. It is a good color though not high on transluscency is still a nice strand and at 14mm if Type A, is not easy to find.

The strand I got is higher on transluscency but lighter in color.
At first glance, the smaller strand vs. the larger strand seems the same, but if you look closely, the smaller strand has better texture. The bigger strand is approx. 8mm and the smaller is 5.5mm.

2B121AC3-8172-4BD9-8CBF-75E81D3F69A6.jpeg
44ED2C10-3419-402D-BEF5-3CC6C483CDFF.jpeg
644517A2-07A2-49E3-AF27-FB7256BD2C94.jpeg

Same mine for both strands? The smaller may have better translucency because it's smaller too.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Same mine for both strands? The smaller may have better translucency because it's smaller too.

The 2 8mm strands are the same mine. The smaller strand I bought at Mandalay more than a year ago.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is difficult to find a strongly colored, highly transluscent lavender jade. So it’s a balance of what you want. Even opaque strongly colored lavenders are expensive. Highly transluscent lavenders with a noticeable color also command price.

The photos you posted are a balance of both for beads. It is a good color though not high on transluscency is still a nice strand and at 14mm if Type A, is not easy to find.

The strand I got is higher on transluscency but lighter in color.
At first glance, the smaller strand vs. the larger strand seems the same, but if you look closely, the smaller strand has better texture. The bigger strand is approx. 8mm and the smaller is 5.5mm.

2B121AC3-8172-4BD9-8CBF-75E81D3F69A6.jpeg
44ED2C10-3419-402D-BEF5-3CC6C483CDFF.jpeg
644517A2-07A2-49E3-AF27-FB7256BD2C94.jpeg
@Seaglow your necklaces are lovely! In thinking about color I'm guessing the molecules that color jade lavender are more opaque than the molecules that color jade green. This would explain why as lavender color increases the stones lose their translucence. I also know that thickness has an additive effect on color, so even if the jade raw material contains a fixed % of color, as thickness increases the jade would appear increasingly opaque. This might help explain why smaller beads can be more translucent than bigger beads, and why it's just not possible to find big, translucent lavender beads.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve long had the sense that magnesium may have a clouding effect, as opposed to other mineral colorants.

Reactions: prs

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Seaglow expressed it so well. I’m impressed by the size, and the color is very beautiful, restful and dreamy. Though the Texture is not as fine as jadeite can get, it’s very nice for large beads in the lavender color. it’s about finding a balance of many factors. Also, when worn, an observer will likely notice the overall consistency of the color in all of the beads, and it makes a statement given the size.
What do you think of them?
I very much like their size, and more importantly so does DW. I wish they had a stronger lavender color, but I know it's a balance between color and translucence, and if they had great color the price would likely be astronomical.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
So how does the unpolished section go? I was told that you buy material half way polished and you sort of gamble a bit, then they fully polish it.

These are the other butterfly wings I got from the Unpolished section. Butterfly wings 1.jpg Butterfly wings 2.jpg

These are my thoughts:

1. If you want to buy from unpolished section, you have to look at pricing. I paid very little for this pair. I want to make them into earrings.

2. I have seen really ugly stuff at very ridiculously high prices - at this point, you are better off buying the jade already set from her other pages.

3. I have also seen similar items at price points that are too extreme. Buddhas at 666 USD and then very similar buddhas at 1888 USD. So a bit ridiculous.

4. The good thing is, if you tell her you don't want cracks stone lines or fractures, she will tell you before polishing it. This way, you can decide whether to still go ahead.

5. Some very opaque items are sold at a very high price. This is when she says you take the gamble. Frankly, I would rather not gamble on 4000 usd on an opaque cabochon, when I know I can get, at that price, a ready set one, maybe much larger, and I know exactly what I am buying.

6. You can see from the butterflies. I bought them opaque intentionally. I did not expect them to be translucent. I like this kind of jadeite for earrings. The colour is very good. And the dragon I bought, I love that too.

7. I suspect, though, I could find something of the quality like those of the butterflies in HK or Singapore at below 300 USD. With her, I paid around 500 USD. Or her buddhas. At 888 USD for three tiny buddhas, when I can get them at 388 all set with white gold, at a much larger size and better quality on her wholesale page - it just does not tally.

8. Trouble is, I don't want ready set buddhas as I need them for my lavender necklace project.

9. You can ask her about colour. But her reply will be that she sees the item as you see it on your computer, that it is unpolished, so she cannot tell you level of translucency or level of colour.

10. Overall, no, don't gamble on the jade in the unpolished section. 9 out of 10, you cannot tell what it will be like and she won't advise you either. And if they are not opaque, they will cost a lot more. Why play that game when you can have your pick of set items and you can see the exact quality of the jade from other pages and vendors, at a more reasonable price?

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@prs , I found this pendant from a jewelry store site. Asked them if it’s A grade and if it’s Mason Kay.. ( I think it is) awaiting a response. If you’re interested, I can link it once they reply.

FE5695A7-0D16-40C8-B0A0-1AF6736349B9.jpeg

Also saw these earrings, which I love the style of.
BDA254CF-29E2-4192-BF13-D17E212C95BE.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@prs They are indeed Mason Kay, so definitely A grade.

Reactions: prs

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
C7B7E353-2BC5-49EF-94E2-0C64E1C0ABB5.jpeg
Also they have this hinged lavender Mason Kay bangle. For people who like hinges due to size issues, this is such a pretty color.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B75F6B44-D50D-4110-B8F0-D2656596F73D.jpeg
Ooh, they have this one too with 2 diamonds in the chain mid way up. Great color!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow @Bluegemz those pieces are gorgeous! Thank you so much for thinking of me!

DW loves the pendant and the earrings, so yes please, do post a link, although if the store isn't open on Sundays, it might be best to wait until tomorrow. =)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @Bluegemz those pieces are gorgeous! Thank you so much for thinking of me!

DW loves the pendant and the earrings, so yes please, do post a link, although if the store isn't open on Sundays, it might be best to wait until tomorrow. =)
I’ll check and if it’s closed or open..hold on.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Closed today and I emailed them about tomorrow.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad your wife likes them! First thing when I saw this pendant, I immediately thought of youR lavender jade hunt because of the color and the shape.

Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, not only is the color just what we've been looking for, but pears are my wife's favorite shape!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Purple jadeite.jpg

Quick question. For lavender jade, is translucence better than colour? But I am drawn to intense colours of purple.

Not just blue or lavender, but a bright purple. This isn't my ring. Wish it was. This kind of purple is rare. I have seen something that is less translucent, but this shade of purple. Not sure of it.

Last edited:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Purple jadeite.jpg

Quick question. For lavender jade, is translucence better than colour? But I am drawn to intense colours of purple.

Not just blue or lavender, but a bright purple. This isn't my ring. Wish it was. This kind of purple is rare. I have seen something that is less translucent, but this shade of purple. Not sure of it.

I think that there is lavender jade that is saturated purple and translucent but the majority of us will never see it because it will be packed straight up to the high end private sales in Hong Kong and China. The exception being a lucky estate find or one of us winning a boulder lottery.

I think the lavender jade that regular consumers (not saying that PS-ers are normal by any means haha) will see will either be translucent and less saturated or vivid purple and opaque. If you are drawn to vivid purple, you should go for it. After all, they say you should buy the jade that speaks to you.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purple jadeite.jpg

If you love it and it's the right price I say nab it!

Unless you are personally into translucence too! If you're not too worked up either way I would get the colour you love because you will pay more for the colour you love plus translucence.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
F01AC40B-7AA2-4FD5-9033-17F327C62AA8.jpeg
Here’s another picture of it.
Just a quick update on the pendant Bluegemz was kind enough to help me find. It turns out this jade pear only measures 11x6, and that's the same face up area as one of DW's 7mm diamond studs! It really is very small for a pendant, and IMNSHO the stone would have been better suited for a ring. No wonder the jeweler forgot to include the size in their description of the piece. :))

Despite the fabulous color, but given the pendant is not inexpensive, we are going to give it a pass, and wait for a piece to come along that ticks all the boxes. The hunt continues!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ChaiK, I've been doing some research into lavender jade bead necklace pricing, and the results might help answer your question. Here are the prices of three lavender jade bead necklaces from auctions held in Hong Kong within the last two years. All the necklaces were certified A grade by the Hong Kong Jade and Stone Laboratory.
The beads in the first photo are 13 mm and it sold for US$4,000
Lav Jade Bead HK 13mm $4K.jpg
The beads in the second photo are 15mm and it sold for US$12,800
Lav Jade Bead HK 15mm $12.8K.jpg
The beads in the third necklace are only 10mm but it sold for a whopping US$303,000.
Lav Jade Bead HK 10mm $303K.jpg
I think for sure when it comes to lavender jade COLOR IS KING :mrgreen2:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Purple jadeite.jpg

Looking at so many lavender jade, vivid color and high transparency are hardly seen together, if it occurs, they are hardly large stones because in the boulder, the darker lavender colors occur in patches mostly. So the purple in the photo, most I’ve seen are opaque, yet still command a high price...so dark lavender in general will command a high price. How much color or transluscency one is willing to forego depends on preference. Most will be around the middle. Most transluscent stones will be on the pale side and most vivid colored stones on the opaque side.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ChaiK I saw these, admired their cute fat bellies and immediately thought of you (because you like Buddhas not because I think your belly is fat).

46492685_2173628072697939_5436060009702096896_n.jpg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@ChaiK I saw these, admired their cute fat bellies and immediately thought of you (because you like Buddhas not because I think your belly is fat).

46492685_2173628072697939_5436060009702096896_n.jpg

Where are they from? I need three more buddhas. Thanks for this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results