shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I always assumed they just cut it from a piece of jade that has different bits of green. Like the beads which sometimes are light and then have a few good green specks.

Is that legit?

It is usual to have a mix of colors but usually the color spread is more gradual... not really gradual but there is a certain natural look to it? I dunno. Not an expert but something about the color mix throws me off. Let me look for an article re dyed jadeite.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
As I explained earlier, The test from GIA shows no polymer impregnation. Color origin unknown. I called and spioke with a gemologist there who tested it. He explained that with about 10% of the lavender jades which they get, they are unable to conclude color origin. This is specific to lavender jade, in which color has been known to harder to test.

Not such a small amount, 10%. Thier tests are based on magnesium levels, but they only test one small part of a piece, and often magmesium levels are unevenly dispersed in lavender jade.

It also came with a report. I believe it is A grade completely. But I was annoyed with GIA for not testing it again. At this point, I am not willing to send it out.

If anyone needs more assurance, The best thing would be that they send another lavender piece, or any piece be sent for testing, or pay a fee for additional testing.

Thanks for posting again!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
The uneven mix/concentration of colors don’t look quite right. Will you be testing them? @Burmesedaze as I think she’s the most experienced amongst us re jade.

Oh, maybe I should test these ones. These are from FB lady. She swears they are Grade A.

@icy_jade , how can you tell about the unevenness? I wish I was as experienced as you.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Are you removing the gold backing or just attaching the earring bit on top?

@mellowyellowgirl I am having the backing removed. Completely reset with diamonds around the buddha's head and a bit of small marquise Tsavorites at the bottom.

Then, right at the top, I have a fantastic pair of tsavorites which I will use as studs. All detachable. So I can just wear the tsavorites alone or with my other pair of jade coins.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s one. Usually splotchy colors makes me wary. I am sorry @ChaiK if the jadeite are totally legit. But in case not I would have felt bad about not voicing out while you were in your return period.

http://www.ultimatejadeite.com/how-to-identify-treated-jadeite-b-jade/

Don't be sorry. Better safe than sorry. One time, I thought my sister's paraiba was fake. Turned out to be a real one from Brazil when certified by AGL. Another time, I thought a piece of jade was real (but I am bad at looking at jadeite because it is so complex), and it was dyed jade. Better to be safe than sorry. And thank you for this.

That Ultimate Jadeite Article, well, I think her declaration that all Grade A jadeite should be at 3.33 specific gravity is not true. She sells some jadeite, at lower than 3.33 too. That is not to say that Nandar is not a good seller. Just that we all don't know, until it is tested.

The problem is, I love splotchy jade in bangles, provided they are grade A.

Last edited:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. My thin green earrings contain jadeite from the tin long san mine (approximation of how it sounds spoken). The texture and colour mix unmistakeable. Usually small and thin. No point treating.

2. White jadeite leaves eyeballed by jeweller and jade mine owner also ok. Not a colour for type B/C.

If I really want to the local lab can test at 12 bucks with a memo, but I don't see a point for these.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I’ve gotten dyed jade before too. It’s fine if it’s not too pricey but if you paid a fair bit, then best to be sure.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We should investigate whether those included memos are legit or not!

Question! You know when you get those REALLY dodgy memos that aren't worth the paper they are printed on?

Is that done by an actual lab with a set up (albeit a dodgy one) or do they pay some shady guy in a garage to print them out?

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve gotten dyed jade before too. It’s fine if it’s not too pricey but if you paid a fair bit, then best to be sure.

Nothing worse than getting dyed jade, regardless of amount paid. I agree with you. Best to be careful.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so I did a whole lot of google translate on the website for the memo that I posted. They have a customer hotline that you can ring to order test and it seems like anyone can bring anything in and order a test from them.

So it seems they are public facing. That said it could be an EGL situation where K diamonds are declared to be E colour.

Mission Statement Page:

http://www.nqtc315.com/a/about/gsjs/

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
1. My thin green earrings contain jadeite from the tin long san mine (approximation of how it sounds spoken). The texture and colour mix unmistakeable. Usually small and thin. No point treating.

2. White jadeite leaves eyeballed by jeweller and jade mine owner also ok. Not a colour for type B/C.

If I really want to the local lab can test at 12 bucks with a memo, but I don't see a point for these.

Oh, do post those thin green earrings. Am curious. Thank you.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The green and white patterns are called Moss In Snow and dyed jadeite usually do have a blotchy pattern most of the time instead of gradual, but such blotchy pattern can also occur in nature.

Here are a couple of examples from Mason Kay who only deals with Type A jade:

https://www.masonkay.com/blog/2016/08/new-masonkay-jadeite-jade-pin-designs-for-fall-2016

https://www.masonkay.com/blog/2018/...ndant-and-necklace-designs-from-masonkay-jade

A7F4166A-918C-4ED2-8499-FC0922DD1A35.jpeg
E9081E59-4777-47A8-AED1-4478B28EDD75.jpeg

Dye can be introduced to cracks or the color mixed with polymer. Though I myself avoid blotchy patterns as a precaution, it does occur naturally.

Also, the thin jadeites usually tend to be Type A in my experience. Polymer is not durable I think and breaks when carved too thin. Jadeite is tricky and I found it challenging with home instruments but talking to dealers and jadeite factory and mine owners who can “see and feel” in high accuracy whether a material is A or B jadeite by looking and feeling is impressive. So to study it, I gambled buying nice colored green jadeite at the Thai-Burmese border and started with thinner material and placed them for testing at AIGS and the thin ones at 2-3mm turned out A Jade.

The lavenders sometimes can be colored with blueberry juice or other natural colorants I heard without polymer impregnation. In such case, the material is still durable but you might end up with a paler jade after some time.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The articles I read in Chinese re: jadeite quality factors frequently cite a Chinese saying. Found an English one that translated it:

https://www.lostlaowai.com/blog/general/an-introduction-to-jade/
There is a Chinese saying, “nèiháng kàn zhōng, wàiháng kàn sè” – an insider looks at kind, an outsider just looks at color. When an expert appraises jade, the texture and transparency of the water are first and foremost. It is the texture of the Jade that determines its kind or type. The color then improves upon the value of the Feicui. So don’t get too distracted by the pretty colors, you’ll want to make sure it’s a good stone first.

I’m still very much a noob and color is mostly what attracts me but having seen different quality jadeite side by side I can understand why the saying. Good quality lavender is soooo expensive tho, I can only afford a trade off. :P2
@icy_jade I found this article very informative, thanks for posting.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've posted them before on my thread months ago. Here are a few.

If you see similar greens like these but thicker and more translucent, that would be the hua dian mine.

I think there's a fine line between enjoyment, experience and feel, caution and paranoia when learning and buying :)

Fwiw I think the FB seller is legit as of now. My jewellers browse her FB page regularly to view and learn about the intl pricing. Nothing to flag so far that seems suspicious. Just the colour saturation and how certain things are OOS quickly, as they are really resellers with stock held at the factory/factories which they don't own. A lot of jade appears more translucent in photos as vids than irl from my experience.

Just wish I know where the factories are. Might be worth making a shopping trip there to buy direct if they entertain.

IMG-20181102-WA0001.jpg IMG-20181102-WA0002.jpg IMG-20181102-WA0003.jpg IMG-20181102-WA0004.jpg IMG-20181102-WA0000.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've posted them before on my thread months ago. Here are a few.

If you see similar greens like these but thicker and more translucent, that would be the hua dian mine.

I think there's a fine line between enjoyment, experience and feel, caution and paranoia when learning and buying :)

Fwiw I think the FB seller is legit as of now. My jewellers browse her FB page regularly to view and learn about the intl pricing. Nothing to flag so far that seems suspicious. Just the colour saturation and how certain things are OOS quickly, as they are really resellers with stock held at the factory/factories which they don't own. A lot of jade appears more translucent in photos as vids than irl from my experience.

Just wish I know where the factories are. Might be worth making a shopping trip there to buy direct if they entertain.

IMG-20181102-WA0001.jpg IMG-20181102-WA0002.jpg IMG-20181102-WA0003.jpg IMG-20181102-WA0004.jpg IMG-20181102-WA0000.jpg
I agree, my sense from my experience with jadeite is that so far she is legit. It’s so easy for caution to cross over into paranoia and resulting anxiety. It’s important to remember why we are doing this.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely earrings. My dragon from the FB lady glows like that - blue green white colour.

I think mixed in with the paranoia is the obsession with Jade. It is so beautiful. For example, I can wear my bangles every day and every day, it will look like it is changing or moving in colour. Maybe it is a Chinese thing.

I don't believe, of course, that my jade will become more green (my mum used to say that about hers). But I think, in different lighting, jadeite changes in look and colour. For example, as we head towards winter, the green in one of my bangles is more blue. In summer it is a more yellowy green.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe that jade love also runs deep. It’s a soul thing...anything so powerful brings out the full spectrum of emotions, both light and dark, clarity of thought combined with thought distortion.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The enigma with jade is it is a rock, not a crystal, yet is can be highly transluscent.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a pair of my bangles. My husband bought them for me after we got married and we lived in Singapore. On one of them, you can see bits of grey stone. I love that about this bangle. This pair, when I wear them together, makes a pleasant jingling sound. The one to the left, that one turns slightly blue green in winter because of the greyness of the light here.

Jade Bangle Pair.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a pair of my bangles. My husband bought them for me after we got married and we lived in Singapore. On one of them, you can see bits of grey stone. I love that about this bangle. This pair, when I wear them together, makes a pleasant jingling sound. The one to the left, that one turns slightly blue green in winter because of the greyness of the light here.

Jade Bangle Pair.jpg
Whoa, those are gorgeous!!!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. My husband, he is not Chinese. He is from Europe. And I thought it was very sweet of him to try his best not to get ripped off and buy a decent pair, at the same time. I found it funny at that time and laughed at him for it. Now, I think of the anxiety he must have felt - to buy this to impress me. There is a Nanyang Gem Lab Cert somewhere. I can't find it :(. It got lost in our move across to London. One more reason to go to GCS soon.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. My husband, he is not Chinese. He is from Europe. And I thought it was very sweet of him to try his best not to get ripped off and buy a decent pair, at the same time. I found it funny at that time and laughed at him for it. Now, I think of the anxiety he must have felt. To buy this to impress me. There is a Nanyang Gem Lab Cert somewhere. I can't find it :(. It got lost in our move across to London. One more reason to go to GCS soon.
Omg, that is an adorable story! I just love it. He did a great job lol!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @ChaiK you have some beautiful pieces! I love love love the colour of those bangles!!!

JELLY!!!!!!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chaik - very well done by the hubs. Those are lovely and such a fresh evergreen green!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely earrings. My dragon from the FB lady glows like that - blue green white colour.

I think mixed in with the paranoia is the obsession with Jade. It is so beautiful. For example, I can wear my bangles every day and every day, it will look like it is changing or moving in colour. Maybe it is a Chinese thing.

I don't believe, of course, that my jade will become more green (my mum used to say that about hers). But I think, in different lighting, jadeite changes in look and colour. For example, as we head towards winter, the green in one of my bangles is more blue. In summer it is a more yellowy green.

Too much blue is not sought after but I like that color! If you don’t mind, I’d like to see your dragon jade. :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found these while I was organizing this morning. They’re beautiful but don’t get worn much cause they’re a bit big for my taste. I usually wear my bangle if I’m in the mood for jade on my wrist.

042CE164-372F-480B-AD30-BDF6A2C075C3.jpeg A94C1ED4-EC6E-4208-8E72-D217B48095B0.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question gang:

Does the shiny polish on jade have a coating? Is it going to rub off on a few years? :eek2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results