shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know when we can tell its come off? Is it less shiny?
I haven’t really noticed with any of the pieces which I have..even the ones which I’ve had for years. I think it’s probably only a slight change. I guess there’s no harm in adding a little more wax at some point. It’s a very thin layer.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I agree, my sense from my experience with jadeite is that so far she is legit. It’s so easy for caution to cross over into paranoia and resulting anxiety. It’s important to remember why we are doing this.

Trust but verify works for me. The sg based sellers are always willing to send in jadeite to the local lab for testing which I do request for pricier items. No different from how I expect to see reliable certs like GRS for expensive CS like unheated sapphires or rubies. But if you ladies feel like there’s absolutely no need to test the fb lady stuff that’s fine too.

@mellowyellowgirl Re: the China labs, I asked a vendor before and was told that they don’t trust the China labs themselves. That was a while back though so maybe things have changed.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok slightly off topic but I just got a lavender!

0032A339-5836-4489-9119-95DA615D8FEA.jpeg 2D85A61A-9680-47DA-A875-25D78990D2AC.jpeg

I don’t think the jadeite shows good ‘water’ or translucency but as @Burmesedaze has mentioned above, it’s about compromising as the color looks decently saturated.

Please post a picture of it when it comes. It would be interesting to see.

Got it and I love it. The more bluish (vs pinkish) toned purple that I like and was hoping for.

7FA9E566-97DC-45C1-81FC-4E9E0FE64A4F.jpeg 0A696A47-6078-492B-86B3-2D976A03021C.jpeg
First pic is shaded in my balcony, second is completely indoor. Pics make the Color more saturated. Irl the lavender is a bit lighter toned. More like the leaves pic from the vendor but a touch lighter.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Do you know when we can tell its come off? Is it less shiny?

I thought the modern jades are no longer waxed? Read somewhere that it’s about the polishing technology being better now. Let me see if I can find something...

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade I'm going to totes sit around and polish that ring if it ever looks dull :lol:

Your pendants are very shiny!!!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Found these while I was organizing this morning. They’re beautiful but don’t get worn much cause they’re a bit big for my taste. I usually wear my bangle if I’m in the mood for jade on my wrist.

042CE164-372F-480B-AD30-BDF6A2C075C3.jpeg A94C1ED4-EC6E-4208-8E72-D217B48095B0.jpeg

Hetian jade. Love the purity of it :)

Reactions: AV_

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Too much blue is not sought after but I like that color! If you don’t mind, I’d like to see your dragon jade. :)

Here it is. I got this from the unpolished jadeite section.

jade Dragon.jpg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm learning a huge amount about jade here, thank you so much for all your very learned posts. My beginner's understanding of jade texture is that tighter grain, higher density stones can be polished to a better, higher luster, and it's this finish that determines the quality of the texture. Am I even in the ballpark on this?

I know lavender jade never has much water, but presumably texture quality is still important? Would appreciate your comments on the quality of this lavender jadeite bead necklace
Lavender Jade beads 3.jpg
Lavender Jade beads 12.jpg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I like all jade, so of course I would say this is lovely. I like the colour. What is the size?

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like all jade, so of course I would say this is lovely. I like the colour. What is the size?
ChaiK, the beads are 14mm.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Got it and I love it. The more bluish (vs pinkish) toned purple that I like and was hoping for.

7FA9E566-97DC-45C1-81FC-4E9E0FE64A4F.jpeg 0A696A47-6078-492B-86B3-2D976A03021C.jpeg
First pic is shaded in my balcony, second is completely indoor. Pics make the Color more saturated. Irl the lavender is a bit lighter toned. More like the leaves pic from the vendor but a touch lighter.
Like Icy, I have been shopping during their recent sales too. Mine is a lavender jade pendant which I love ++. 20181101_141928.jpg 20181101_142101.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the necklace @prs but it depends on your budget. I think it has good colour and bead size is huge!

I bought a sugary one that is really light but it was an ok price and I didn't want to spent more $$$ on one. Wearing it to death so it was worth every dollar.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@ChaiK did your bangles end up arriving?

No. I did not buy in the end. I ended up buying buddhas and tiny bits from FB lady and now, I want a huge cabochon ring. Actually, I want two huge cabochon rings. Green and lavender. First stop is to set those items I bought, though .

Really too scared to take the plunge and buy elsewhere, even if I want bangles. Anyway, I have around 13 bangles so no point adding on to that. I tend to buy splotchy moss on snow types. Next bangle I buy is a big priced one. I want one green bangle with high translucence and good colour. I would love lavender but they do make me suspicious, if they are coming from FB lady. Not going for the smallies for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
ChaiK, the beads are 14mm.

ohhhh, I think they are lovely. Big too. I hope they tick the price box for you.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I did not buy in the end. I ended up buying buddhas and tiny bits from FB lady and now, I want a huge cabochon ring. Actually, I want two huge cabochon rings. Green and lavender. First stop is to set those items I bought, though .

Really too scared to take the plunge and buy elsewhere, even if I want bangles. Anyway, I have around 13 bangles so no point adding on to that. Next bangle I buy is a big priced one. Not going for the smallies for now.

Would love a shot of all your bangles!!!!!

I only have 2 fairly poor ones I bought waaaay before I knew about jade. They are A grade but pretty poor quality.

On a different note can you guys get a bangle over your right hand? I can't bend that bone and it irks me as being able to take a bangle on and off my right arm would be so helpful!

I've tried the plastic bag trick etc. That bone is really inflexible even though the bangles are heaps big.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've tried the plastic bag trick etc. That bone is really inflexible even though the bangles are heaps big.
I was told that silk works better than plastic.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm learning a huge amount about jade here, thank you so much for all your very learned posts. My beginner's understanding of jade texture is that tighter grain, higher density stones can be polished to a better, higher luster, and it's this finish that determines the quality of the texture. Am I even in the ballpark on this?

I know lavender jade never has much water, but presumably texture quality is still important? Would appreciate your comments on the quality of this lavender jadeite bead necklace

It is difficult to find a strongly colored, highly transluscent lavender jade. So it’s a balance of what you want. Even opaque strongly colored lavenders are expensive. Highly transluscent lavenders with a noticeable color also command price.

The photos you posted are a balance of both for beads. It is a good color though not high on transluscency is still a nice strand and at 14mm if Type A, is not easy to find.

The strand I got is higher on transluscency but lighter in color.
At first glance, the smaller strand vs. the larger strand seems the same, but if you look closely, the smaller strand has better texture. The bigger strand is approx. 8mm and the smaller is 5.5mm.

2B121AC3-8172-4BD9-8CBF-75E81D3F69A6.jpeg
44ED2C10-3419-402D-BEF5-3CC6C483CDFF.jpeg
644517A2-07A2-49E3-AF27-FB7256BD2C94.jpeg

Last edited:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Would love a shot of all your bangles!!!!!

I only have 2 fairly poor ones I bought waaaay before I knew about jade. They are A grade but pretty poor quality.

On a different note can you guys get a bangle over your right hand? I can't bend that bone and it irks me as being able to take a bangle on and off my right arm would be so helpful!

My right hand is definitely stiffer and is harder to get a bangle over. The plastic bag doesn’t work for the smaller ones, i have to use body lotion. I was taught to tackle three points one by one: first the bone under your little finger, then the bone under your index, lastly fold your thumb over the palm and press down while easing the bangle over. Also have your hand raised for a while to drain the circulation first. Btw, taking off is more painful than putting on :o...

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I want to make a bracelet cuff with this.

So how does the unpolished section go? I was told that you buy material half way polished and you sort of gamble a bit, then they fully polish it.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous colour @YC
Thanks Melloeyellowgirl. The price was good for the colour so I grabbed it as soon as I was informed. Their discounted rich lavender colours got snapped up really quickly.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My right hand is definitely stiffer and is harder to get a bangle over. The plastic bag doesn’t work for the smaller ones, i have to use body lotion. I was taught to tackle three points one by one: first the bone under your little finger, then the bone under your index, lastly fold your thumb over the palm and press down while easing the bangle over. Also have your hand raised for a while to drain the circulation first. Btw, taking off is more painful than putting on :o...

On that note methinks I'm going to stick to my right arm and move the clasps bangles to the left arm.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Seaglow expressed it so well. I’m impressed by the size, and the color is very beautiful, restful and dreamy. Though the Texture is not as fine as jadeite can get, it’s very nice for large beads in the lavender color. it’s about finding a balance of many factors. Also, when worn, an observer will likely notice the overall consistency of the color in all of the beads, and it makes a statement given the size.
What do you think of them?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like Icy, I have been shopping during their recent sales too. Mine is a lavender jade pendant which I love ++. 20181101_141928.jpg 20181101_142101.jpg
Really gorgeous piece. What a great size too!

Reactions: YC
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results