shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The articles I read in Chinese re: jadeite quality factors frequently cite a Chinese saying. Found an English one that translated it:

https://www.lostlaowai.com/blog/general/an-introduction-to-jade/
There is a Chinese saying, “nèiháng kàn zhōng, wàiháng kàn sè” – an insider looks at kind, an outsider just looks at color. When an expert appraises jade, the texture and transparency of the water are first and foremost. It is the texture of the Jade that determines its kind or type. The color then improves upon the value of the Feicui. So don’t get too distracted by the pretty colors, you’ll want to make sure it’s a good stone first.

I’m still very much a noob and color is mostly what attracts me but having seen different quality jadeite side by side I can understand why the saying. Good quality lavender is soooo expensive tho, I can only afford a trade off. :P2

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You're all making me want lavender danglies with this talk of lavender even though I can't see them going with anything!

Lol. I was actually looking at blues and reds and unusual colors (even though reds are usually heated but not beyond 580 C, higher heat makes them opaque). There is hardly any text in these colors. The reds have in Chinese so my google translate have been very busy lately. :lol:

The blues seem not popular but I like them and the dark purer color is actually very rare.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys saved me from buying a $4000 (AUD) ring with a stone with waaaaay dodgier colour and texture than the one I bought (I am 95% sure from the vids mine is much better but my ring hasn't arrived yet) so at this point I'm like "I may be a littttle ripped off but not brick and mortar ripped off." :lol-2:

The onslaught of blues she has recently are really pretty! Need to make bows or butterflies with them! The Buddhas are not my thing!

Lavender danglies next year! My fear for starting on lavenders is that I'll want matching rings etc. Not sure I want to open that box. Right now I wear my light lavender necklace with just about EVERYTHING! Especially in the hot Aussie summer it is soooo cooling!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The blues are probably because I inquired but the Buddha is also not my thing. @mellowyellowgirl I thought you would have received by now because don’t they ship by DHL or something?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The blues are probably because I inquired but the Buddha is also not my thing. @mellowyellowgirl I thought you would have received by now because don’t they ship by DHL or something?

They do and it's fast once it gets picked up but I pay via bank transfer and that always takes a few days until it hits their account. Then the item has to be driven to Hong Kong and get shipped from there!

If everything goes smoothly should be in my hands tomorrow!!!!!

Lol did you ask for blues and get a bunch of Buddhas? They should carve cute stuff! I'd totally buy lavender grape earrings! Actually I would snag them up right away, colour and texture be damned! I am a terrible jade shopper! I focus too much on shapes!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They do and it's fast once it gets picked up but I pay via bank transfer and that always takes a few days until it hits their account. Then the item has to be driven to Hong Kong and get shipped from there!

Lol did you ask for blues and get a bunch of Buddhas? They should carve cute stuff! I'd totally buy lavender grape earrings! Actually I would snag them up right away, colour and texture be damned! I am a terrible jade shopper! I focus too much on shapes!

Good luck! The dark blues are carved Buddhas and Guanyin. I like cute stuffs. I can take calabash, ruyi , grapes, leaves and those sorts but they don’t have them in darker blue color. The reds I want the purer red, not the orange or browns and with high water. But I have to settle thin because the reds are usually from oxidation of the rind of the boulder. The thick reds don’t have high transluscency or are opaque.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

I think I asked before but have you or @Burmesedaze or anyone else who bought from the jadeite Facebook lady tested her stuff for A jade quality? Asking as I am eyeing some gorgeous stuff but they are so pricey.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I asked before but have you or @Burmesedaze or anyone else who bought from the jadeite Facebook lady tested her stuff for A jade quality? Asking as I am eyeing some gorgeous stuff but they are so pricey.

The pricey stuffs seem to usually come with a lab report from Zhongkuang Jewelry Testing Center. But I saw at the page you can request for a report for a fee.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
How do you ask for a discount from her? And does she have a return policy?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pricey stuffs seem to usually come with a lab report from Zhongkuang Jewelry Testing Center. But I saw at the page you can request for a report for a fee.

Is that centre legit do you know?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you ask for a discount from her? And does she have a return policy?

Umm the others will give you proper advice.

Mine is "Can I pretty please have a discount?" followed by lots of pouty emojis which is obviously not a very good strategy!

Yes but if you get a ring resized or beads restrung then that voids your return policy.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is that centre legit do you know?

I’ve been translating in Chinese and one said it is “well-known” but it seems common for the jade factories to use them, and the reports have a QR code as a verification mechanism but I’m still doing more research on it.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been translating in Chinese and one said it is “well-known” but it seems common for the jade factories to use them, and the reports have a QR code as a verification mechanism but I’m still doing more research on it.

My cheap stuff comes with a memo that I must admit looks quite ok. Of course this is china and they can pay anyone to churn these out but it looks so thorough. I've also seen it used for other jade places too.

If anyone wants to see my memo I am happy to post it.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For those who understand Chinese here is the testing center’s website.

http://zk-china.cn/

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Umm the others will give you proper advice.

Mine is "Can I pretty please have a discount?" followed by lots of pouty emojis which is obviously not a very good strategy!

Yes but if you get a ring resized or beads restrung then that voids your return policy.

I’d like to see the memo! The good boulders goes to China and the nice piece usually pays fro the boulder but if there are nice pieces on the entrails that are not pricey.....worth a look. :)

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@Bluegemz got hers tested! I'll let her clarify is she has time. It was legit but there was something about the colour origin being unknown.

This is so pretty! And doesn't look like taro!

I think there was too much magnesium in the purple. I don't know what that means. Does that mean it is impregnated? I never thought to ask. I do buy quite a bit from FB lady. I bought a pair of butterfly wings - turned out ok. I bought a pair of tiny buddhas as earrings, to set with tsavorites that I have. Those buddhas are lovely - you can see the transparency of the jadeite, and then the green streaks through it in different shades. This pair of buddhas were in the bargain bin page.

I bought a blue green translucent dragon which glows in the sun. This one was also very good. To set as a bracelet.

And lately, I have bought 4 buddhas from her - to set with my lavender necklace (not yet arrived).

When I have time this Sunday, I will take pics and post.

Meanwhile, I hope Bluegemz comes on and tells us about her lavender cab test.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Buddha pair.jpg

They are not huge, at around 20 mm in height. I plan to make them into dangling earrings with a pair of tsavorites right at the top. They are so cute! I can't stop looking at them.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg @ChaiK they have such cute pot bellies. They are really well matched. Did you ask her for a pair or did you dig for them from the pile yourself?

They got the cutest green cheeks!!!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Omg @ChaiK they have such cute pot bellies. They are really well matched. Did you ask her for a pair or did you dig for them from the pile yourself?

They got the cutest green cheeks!!!

I got them from the pile. She placed these two together as the same type. I bought them up because measurements were correct. I don't want huge clunky buddhas on my ears......

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got them from the pile. She placed these two together as the same type. I bought them up because measurements were correct. I don't want huge clunky buddhas on my ears......

Are you removing the gold backing or just attaching the earring bit on top?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I explained earlier, The test from GIA for the lavender ring which I bought from her shows no polymer impregnation. Color origin unknown. I called and spioke with a gemologist there who tested it. He explained that with about 10% of the lavender jades which they get, they are unable to conclude color origin. This is specific to lavender jade, in which color has been known to harder to test.

Not such a small amount, 10%. Thier tests are based on magnesium levels, but they only test one small part of a piece, and often magmesium levels are unevenly dispersed in lavender jade.

It also came with a report. I believe it is A grade completely. But I was annoyed with GIA for not testing it again. At this point, I am not willing to send it out.

If anyone needs more assurance, The best thing would be that they send another lavender piece, or any piece be sent for testing, or pay a fee for additional testing.

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Buddha pair.jpg

They are not huge, at around 20 mm in height. I plan to make them into dangling earrings with a pair of tsavorites right at the top. They are so cute! I can't stop looking at them.

The uneven mix/concentration of colors don’t look quite right. Will you be testing them? @Burmesedaze as I think she’s the most experienced amongst us re jade.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry we keep dragging you out here because you're the only person who got it tested @Bluegemz

We should have a sticky or something in one of the threads! Seems like quite a few of use are buying from the Facebook lady!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The uneven mix/concentration of colors don’t look quite right. Will you be testing them? @Burmesedaze as I think she’s the most experienced amongst us re jade.

I always assumed they just cut it from a piece of jade that has different bits of green. Like the beads which sometimes are light and then have a few good green specks.

Is that legit?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry we keep dragging you out here because you're the only person who got it tested @Bluegemz

We should have a sticky or something in one of the threads! Seems like quite a few of use are buying from the Facebook lady!
No problem. I think for a group of buyers to all feel completely confident about A grade products from a seller, it might take a few tests by various people. Especially if more people start to buy. All new buyers have the same questions, which are more easily answered by a common, collective experience.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colors in those Buddha’s look legit to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results