shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Piece!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Wild! It sold on eBay for that amount?

No, auction house. So @luluma made a good point, as there would have been additional charges involved. And I didn't intend to disparage the seller, to be fair. That's how the antiques business works, right? Stuff needs to be sourced from somewhere. I just always image search things, whether it's to look for comps, or end up learning a bit about its origin. Sometimes you find nothing, and sometimes you get a surprise.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, auction house. So @luluma made a good point, as there would have been additional charges involved. And I didn't intend to disparage the seller, to be fair. That's how the antiques business works, right? Stuff needs to be sourced from somewhere. I just always image search things, whether it's to look for comps, or end up learning a bit about its origin. Sometimes you find nothing, and sometimes you get a surprise.

Gotcha! Well that’s a different story as I would never buy from a random local auction and so if a reseller wants to haunt those and sell on eBay/etsy more power to them I guess. It’s still a great price! And with option to return/buyer protections on eBay.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock

The total cost with the fees was around 500, so the profit margin is approx. 33%

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Image searching is very clever!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I was also thinking that at a minimum they could size it and make it a bit of an oval. That wouldn't bother me either, and probably would help to diminish any spinning, which is a plus. Thank you for all of your comments on this ring, you have a better eye than I do, so the insight is appreciated.

Just to close the loop, the local jeweler that I use for minor things has resized it for me. On his and my mandrels, it really was a 7, not a 6.75 as listed (authentication didn't deal with this). So we discussed it and he felt he could still bring it down to 5.75 if I was willing to take it a bit out of round as @Dreamer_D figured. But considering the amount of downsizing and the setting, I'm very happy. It is a 5.75, but slightly out of round, which I told him was okay.
IMG_7483.JPG

now if only my knuckles hadn't gotten bigger over the years, because otherwise I
would probably wear a 5.5 or even a bit smaller.

IMG_7450.JPG
IMG_7472.jpg

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Just to close the loop, the local jeweler that I use for minor things has resized it for me. On his and my mandrels, it really was a 7, not a 6.75 as listed (authentication didn't deal with this). So we discussed it and he felt he could still bring it down to 5.75 if I was willing to take it a bit out of round as @Dreamer_D figured. But considering the amount of downsizing and the setting, I'm very happy. It is a 5.75, but slightly out of round, which I told him was okay.
IMG_7483.JPG

now if only my knuckles hadn't gotten bigger over the years, because otherwise, I'd wear more like a 5.5. View attachment 971695 IMG_7472.jpg

It looks great. Can we see a distance shot?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is just a quick one
IMG_7484.jpg

Stunning and so unique too! I don’t think I have seen quite these proportions on an antique piece before. Did your jeweler think the mount was old too?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning and so unique too! I don’t think I have seen quite these proportions on an antique piece before. Did your jeweler think the mount was old too?
Yes. As soon as he looked at it he said “antique”. I haven’t looked up the the name of the maker but will do.

Last edited:

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Speaking of Wilson's.... You could not make this for the price.
1716642714261.png

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Update. I bought this because I could not stop thinking about it and they lowered the price
again. I was hoping the size would be incorrect because TRR often is. It was only a little bit larger than a 4 though. DK said he did not think he could get it up to a five. I took it to a local shop and they were able to shave the inside and bring it very close.

I’m not usually a fan of princess cut stones, but these are very small and all you see is shimmer. I really love it!

IMG_0763.jpeg
Vid here

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
That looks fabulous on you! I'm having a thing about princesses lately, have one coming from B2C next week. Your band is TDF, I'm glad you took a chance on fit.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Speaking of Wilson's.... You could not make this for the price.
1716642714261.png

10% off at check out they say

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
@caf - Oooooooh this is so tempting. I can't. Someone else needs to buy it!

@Mreader That's an INSANE deal!!! Congrats! It looks so expensive and beautiful in person!

Reactions: caf

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@caf - Oooooooh this is so tempting. I can't. Someone else needs to buy it!

@Mreader That's an INSANE deal!!! Congrats! It looks so expensive and beautiful in person!

Thank you! I was pretty pleased with myself :mrgreen:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question for the group. Are we staying away from posting items that are being auctioned so we don't compete against each other. I want to make sure I don't post something that I shouldn't. Thanks.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Question for the group. Are we staying away from posting items that are being auctioned so we don't compete against each other. I want to make sure I don't post something that I shouldn't. Thanks.

I’ve never seen an explicit rule or discussion but I’ve been avoiding posting auctions for that reason. EDIT not only do we don’t compete against each other but just generally not to bring added attention to an auction we or another PSer might be hoping to snipe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results