shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Piece!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband got me the garnet halo for Valentine’s Day! It’s so pretty IRL. The rosecuts glisten all the time and garnet glows beautifully esp in the sun. It’s my permanent right hand ring. IMG_9265.jpeg

So pretty! Does he stalk this thread or did you send him the link?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband got me the garnet halo for Valentine’s Day! It’s so pretty IRL. The rosecuts glisten all the time and garnet glows beautifully esp in the sun. It’s my permanent right hand ring. IMG_9265.jpeg

I was wondering who bought the garnet! It’s so pretty, great Valentine’s present!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
It’s funny that these pics are good for TRR. They’ve posted pics where I’ve been like :confused:. But the listing says it is available to view in their NYC SoHo store, so that’s not too bad for someone who is local & interested.

If anyone wants me to check it out, say the word! I'm in NYC.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
If anyone wants me to check it out, say the word! I'm in NYC.

One thing I am curious about (but not to buy for myself so don't take the trouble on my account!) is whether that Single Stone ring that claims to be size 1.25 is really a 1.25 or if it's a typo. It's in the Madison store. Has anyone confirmed? I love TRR but we all have seen how often details in listings just don't make sense. It would be such a good purchase if it were a more usable size.

1710873031842.png

Edit: here's the same ring with a 2.30 N VS2 rather than a 2.38 O/P VS1 directly from Single Stone for $31,500 vs $15k for the one on TRR. Here's the side view of that, which says it's a size 6. The one from TRR doesn't look much smaller to me? But I'm no expert, I have giant hands, and am not in the market. Just looking because it was fun to look.

1710874335705.png

One of my favorite recent bad photos is of this opal clicker from Maria Tash that they only photographed backwards and sideways! No face-on views at all.

1710873241668.png

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I am curious about (but not to buy for myself so don't take the trouble on my account!) is whether that Single Stone ring that claims to be size 1.25 is really a 1.25 or if it's a typo. It's in the Madison store. Has anyone confirmed? I love TRR but we all have seen how often details in listings just don't make sense. It would be such a good purchase if it were a more usable size.

1710873031842.png

One of my favorite recent bad photos is of this opal clicker from Maria Tash that they only photographed backwards and sideways! No face-on views at all.

I was wondering as well about a typo. It seems to me that a 2.3 ct stone on a size 1.25 finger would have a shank of a different proportion to the stone, if that makes sense. When I see how small a 1.25 is on my mandrel it would seem that it should more like this.
1710873031842.png

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree. Size 1.5 seems like it’s not even possible. My little finger is apx 4 and it’s tiny.

HOWEVER, I recently bought a non returnable bracelet from the RR, and the size was a wierd Acronym. I can’t recall, it wasn’t standard. It turned out to be child size! Luckily, my wrists are tiny and it fit barely. But they tried to disguise the extremely small size with vagueness. I felt kind of tricked (even though I like the bracelet and price.)

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
I was wondering as well about a typo. It seems to me that a 2.3 ct stone on a size 1.25 finger would have a shank of a different proportion to the stone, if that makes sense. When I see how small a 1.25 is on my mandrel it would seem that it should more like this.
1710873031842.png

Looking at a mandrel is much more precise than what I did! I saw that the GIA report said 8mm for the small dimension and the inner diameter seems to be twice that when I counted how many pinky-widths it was on my screen. That would make the ring 16mm in diameter which is a perfectly reasonable 5.5-ish. That seems so much more plausible to me than a 1.25!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock

1710873031842.png

Edit: here's the same ring with a 2.30 N VS2 rather than a 2.38 O/P VS1 directly from Single Stone for $31,500 vs $15k for the one on TRR. Here's the side view of that, which says it's a size 6. The one from TRR doesn't look much smaller to me? But I'm no expert, I have giant hands, and am not in the market. Just looking because it was fun to look.

1710874335705.png

1710873241668.png

I didn't even notice it was on the UES! If I find myself heading that direction any time soon, I'll happily pop in and do some recon.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I love that we’re all on the case! The Single Stone is returnable and at the Madison store. IMO they put the best stuff at the stores so that’s a good sign (I mean sometimes they put random crap there but I find cool pieces by searching by store). TRR has historically been very good for returns for me. I had a $2k ring shipped back via their label that got lost with the carrier and they still refunded me, no problem.

Also, does anyone know when it flips to final sale? I’m seeing 25% off with the return option. I need to see if it’s consistently 30% or more that it flips to final. This really sucks. Sometimes they price things completely absurd.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
1710873031842.png

Someone posted this ring awhile back, and they confirmed the size on some sort of paperwork but I don't remember where.

ETA The valuation report. But maybe that's a typo. It wouldn't hurt to inquire!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I love that we’re all on the case! The Single Stone is returnable and at the Madison store. IMO they put the best stuff at the stores so that’s a good sign (I mean sometimes they put random crap there but I find cool pieces by searching by store). TRR has historically been very good for returns for me. I had a $2k ring shipped back via their label that got lost with the carrier and they still refunded me, no problem.

Also, does anyone know when it flips to final sale? I’m seeing 25% off with the return option. I need to see if it’s consistently 30% or more that it flips to final. This really sucks. Sometimes they price things completely absurd.

I think 40% off is where you hit no-return land.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone posted this ring awhile back, and they confirmed the size on some sort of paperwork but I don't remember where.

ETA The valuation report. But maybe that's a typo. It wouldn't hurt to inquire!

I assumed that they pulled the size for the listing off of the valuation report and that is where the typo probably is. Just guessing though.

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
I called out of curiosity and they put the Single Stone ring on a mandrel and the 1.25 is a typo! It’s actually a size 5! :cool2:

I’m looking for a 3.5-4ct platinum ring or that pretty little thing would be mine, lol!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I called out of curiosity and they put the Single Stone ring on a mandrel and the 1.25 is a typo! It’s actually a size 5! :cool2:

I’m looking for a 3.5-4ct platinum ring or that pretty little thing would be mine, lol!

My size lol!

Glad it’s a typo. I’m surprised the consigner didn’t catch it. Or maybe it’s not an individual consigning it.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock

Wow, thank you for calling! My guesstimating said 5.5, so I hereby declare myself a genius.

My size lol!

Glad it’s a typo. I’m surprised the consigner didn’t catch it. Or maybe it’s not an individual consigning it.

Get it get it get it.

I see a lot of mistakes that I feel like the consigner would catch but maybe they send a lot more things in than I would? I would be watching each of my items like a hawk, especially at this price point!

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
@newtojewels one known gripe and huge issue with TRR is that they don’t send consigners an email or any kind of notification when their item goes live. So it can be really terrible for sellers if they ship in an item, they’re not notified when it’s live, and then it sells instantly with the mistake or bad pricing. I’ve sold stuff with TRR and it’s basically impossible to get something before it goes out or make any changes—- which I’m sure they want so it’s less hassle. But I worry that will be the end of the site because soooooo many consigners are getting burned by their policies.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had no idea there was a physical store in nyc, if it's still there when I'm up there in April I'll go check it out in person! Not that I'm in the market, I just feel obligated to contribute to the sleuthing haha

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@newtojewels one known gripe and huge issue with TRR is that they don’t send consigners an email or any kind of notification when their item goes live. So it can be really terrible for sellers if they ship in an item, they’re not notified when it’s live, and then it sells instantly with the mistake or bad pricing. I’ve sold stuff with TRR and it’s basically impossible to get something before it goes out or make any changes—- which I’m sure they want so it’s less hassle. But I worry that will be the end of the site because soooooo many consigners are getting burned by their policies.

Do you get say in the pricing as a consigner?

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock

That makes sense and is so frustrating! And you're right -- if consigners don't want to use the site, that's the end of it for everyone. I've heard that the people making the listings need to work incredibly fast and of course that leads to mistakes but it seems short-sighted to skip the hassle of correcting them.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I didn't even notice it was on the UES! If I find myself heading that direction any time soon, I'll happily pop in and do some recon.

How have you never been there if you live close?! I think I will be paying many visits Ha ha ha if I lived nearby.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
How have you never been there if you live close?! I think I will be paying many visits Ha ha ha if I lived nearby.

I mean, I live in Brooklyn. The UES is practically another state! :lol:

I do go to the Brooklyn location regularly, but only to make returns. They actually have relatively little jewelry on display. I'm going to have to make an excursion at some point to the other stores just to see how they compare. You know, for research. :geek2:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I mean, I live in Brooklyn. The UES is practically another state! :lol:

I do go to the Brooklyn location regularly, but only to make returns. They actually have relatively little jewelry on display. I'm going to have to make an excursion at some point to the other stores just to see how they compare. You know, for research. :geek2:

I cannot figure out what the acronym UES means

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. I've sold a bunch of stuff w them and you don't get a say. You have to "accept" or "reject" prices, but you don't get to give feedback or anything

Edit. For cheaper items you don't even get to approve/reject.

I've been toying with consigning with them, and they've been soliciting me heavily, but that really puts me off. Especially since most of my items would fall in the "cheaper" category, where the commissions are also insane.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results