shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Your Antique Cuts - Part 2

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
DG, what the heck?!? Are you trying to give me a heartattack first thing in the morning? Holy cow, that''s incredible. Can we get a shot resting on a finger for some perspective? Please???

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wowzers, DiaGem! Beautiful!

Ericd, I love your ring and brooch!

Vix

Shiny_Rock
DiaGem, echoing those "wows" over here!

Can you tell us if that stone is owned by an individual, a museum, is heading for auction or??

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2007 10:25:07 AM
Author: DiaGem
Here is an image of a 17+ carat Antique Old-Mine Cut Diamond that came out of an important Russian Crown jewel sold by the Bolsheviks during the Russian Revolution in 1917.

Its a Rare High Quality OMC.
OMG, I think I''m in L
30.gif
VE!!!

CaityJ

Rough_Rock
That is incredible. Do you have any information on its original setting? Any old photos or diagrams? Wow.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
DG, do you know its color, clarity, diameter?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Diamond was taken out of its original setting which is a certain type of Antique broach...
The Diamond needed some work on it, and was set right back in its original place...
Unfortunately its the most I can elaborate on....

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMG_2727.JPG

My friends OMC circa 1890''s

mishy

Rough_Rock

Thanks to Ellen, if not for her I would not have known this thread existed.

Here is my grandmother''s art-deco style platinum and diamond engagement ring, which I recently inherited. It is circ. 1920s to 1930''s. Center stone is transition cut, .70 ct., SI-1 clarity, H-I color.

antique-ering.jpeg

mishy

Rough_Rock
One more (ring shows up a bit yellow in this pics, which isn''t the case IRL)

IMG_0334-ring3-ok-6.jpeg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy, your friend''s ring is drop dead gorgeous!!! Can we see more pics, pretty please?

Here''s my .90ct OEC!

CIMG1603.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Another...

CIMG1606.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Last one to show how it glows a soft white from a distance. My RB never did this.

CIMG1624.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could be the size of the file, or the name (already used, contains symbols that are not recognized, etc).

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How about this Antique Diamond Ring (check out the one pointers, they are tiny OldCuts....)
10.gif

AntiqueDiaRing.JPG

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want one!!!!!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, beautiful! Are these actual antique stones, or "new" antique cuts? In the first pic you posted the stones are so symmetrical and have the rectangular culet - they look like the "new" old cushions being cut, but perhaps they are just highly symmetrical antiques? Just curious - old or new, all are gorgeous (though I strongly prefer the old)!

Love the little OEC''s. My eternity band is also set with OEC''s (not sure if they are old or new, my OMC center is old though) - LOVE it!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, wolftress, love the last pic of the "glow". Mine has that effect too! Could it be the K color? I have looked at LOTS and LOTS of antique diamonds (mostly online, a few in person) and they don''t always do this. You have something really special! I wish I could figure out what causes this so I can screen future antiques to try and get this look again (I still need earrings and a RHR, of course!)

Actually my next dream ring is a rose cut halo for my right hand. Mmmmmmm...but I digress...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread has me swooning. Wow, Diagem I love that ring!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/27/2007 9:57:29 AM
Author: ericad
Wow, beautiful! Are these actual antique stones, or 'new' antique cuts? In the first pic you posted the stones are so symmetrical and have the rectangular culet - they look like the 'new' old cushions being cut, but perhaps they are just highly symmetrical antiques? Just curious - old or new, all are gorgeous (though I strongly prefer the old)!

Love the little OEC's. My eternity band is also set with OEC's (not sure if they are old or new, my OMC center is old though) - LOVE it!
Mix....

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2007 10:00:39 AM
Author: ericad
Wow, wolftress, love the last pic of the ''glow''. Mine has that effect too! Could it be the K color? I have looked at LOTS and LOTS of antique diamonds (mostly online, a few in person) and they don''t always do this. You have something really special! I wish I could figure out what causes this so I can screen future antiques to try and get this look again (I still need earrings and a RHR, of course!)

Actually my next dream ring is a rose cut halo for my right hand. Mmmmmmm...but I digress...
I think DiaGem was saying in another thread that it has to do with the right mix of crown height and pavillion angle to achieve that candlelight glow. I''ve seen some completely
14.gif
OECs with almost no crown height and they just look like fish eyes. It just makes you treasure the well cut ones even more
1.gif

I can''t wait to see what you choose for earrings and a RHR. You have great taste!
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, LOVE all the new additions!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto for me. These are so beautiful

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DG,
Do you know how those tiny OECs are set into the "prongs" surrounding the center stone? It looks almost channel like, but is very "thin/fine". That looks like a very interesting way to set a halo. Any face up views?

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
I''m presently obsessed with rose cuts and this ring is driving me nuts. It''s for sale at a price that seems low - $1650! - if the specs are accurate. I want to buy it and yank the stone out of the setting... which is sort of a crime as it''s from the Georgian period (1714-1830). Even at that price I can''t get it right now.
8.gif

"7.6mm in diameter 3.6 mm high 1.2 carat diamond with great I-J color and VS clarity."

rosegeorg1dot2ct.jpg

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry. That pic is obnoxiously huge and I can't remove it in edit mode...

The ring shown is a size 6 3/4. I'm a 4 3/4 - 5... I think I could have a mighty fine time building a ring around that rock!

rose_georg1dot2c.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/27/2007 12:14:31 PM
Author: Chrono
DG,
Do you know how those tiny OECs are set into the ''prongs'' surrounding the center stone? It looks almost channel like, but is very ''thin/fine''. That looks like a very interesting way to set a halo. Any face up views?

Here ya go....

faceUp1.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DG. Check out the koizebe effect on that OMC!
30.gif
Did I spell that right? I like that particular halo setting. Can a modern jeweller replicate that or would it be extremely expensive because it is more difficult?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results