shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Your Antique Cuts - Part 2

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
wolftress, that ring is gorgeous! Sorry you missed it!

Vix, that stone is GORGEOUS.
30.gif
Love the shots you got of it, enjoy!

Vintage, love the band! Any history on it?

CaityJ

Rough_Rock
My vintage engagement ring!

The stats I know (a formal appraisal will happen soon):

Center stone: octagonal blue sapphire
Side stones: French cut blue sapphires
Accent stones: 8 OEC diamonds (approx. 15 points each?) + 12 single cut diamonds (tiny!)
Material: platinum
Origin: England or France, circa 1910s
Dealer: John Joseph of London

caityjringtop22.jpg

CaityJ

Rough_Rock
By the way, does anyone have any nice rose cuts? I am dying to get a rose cut diamond ring (RHR type thing).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Caity, that ring is just gorgeous! Any side views?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2007 9:59:31 AM
Author: CaityJ
By the way, does anyone have any nice rose cuts? I am dying to get a rose cut diamond ring (RHR type thing).
Yes, there have been some posted on here. Do a search on rose cuts and several threads should come up!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wolftress -- thanks for sharing with us!

Vix -- WOW your ring/stone look great -- sorry you got it due to problems.

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Wow, gone for a few seconds and two more rings pop up -- nice to see some summertime action on this thread!

CaityJ, what a stunning trio of sapphires; they set off the OECs and baby single cuts so well (and vice versa). I had to go visit your ring''s thread and see that baby in multi-dimensional glory.

VintageBling, you''re going to kill me with all your colored treats; love the craft on that band. Why do I think you''ll end up with an old cut solitaire to keep it company, hmmmm?

And thanks to you, SimplySplendid, Ellen, and StoneHunter for the stone compliments. I''ll try to get a pic of what I see most of the time -- and of course I''m still waiting for my sister to get some good pics of her new/old ring. Since the original ring was under 1K, I admit don''t feel *quite* as bad about we-could-make-a-case-for-needing-because-of-damage-but-yeah-coming-down-to-wanting a new stone (especially one as pretty as this)!

Vix

Shiny_Rock
I went to pick up my resized band today and had a few minutes when there wasn't another butt trying to get into my jeweler's one-butt shop -- asked if I could take a photo of his 2+ carat dutch rose cut and he said "sure."

Of course I can never get those macro shots without loads of time, grrr. I hesitate to post this as it's so bad, but you CAN see some of the faceting at the top and maybe that's something? Hope so! It sure was a beauty IRL...can't help wondering if it will end up in a ring or??

Sol_RoseCut.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vix, is there a difference between a Dutch Rose cut, and just a Rose cut?

And thanks for the attempt. You get an A for effort!
36.gif

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Ellen, you are too kind. I''m still miffed I blew it!

From what little I know, Dutch rose is just one of the twenty or so terms for rose cuts. But there are some variations with special names (see below). Good thing that pic is so blurry -- no one can correct me if my memory got the name wrong! [I kid...please correct if needed/possible.]

Invented in the mid 16th century, the Rose Cut is also known by the the Antwerp rose, Crowned Rose Cut, Dutch Cut, and the Full Holland Cut. The Rose cut can form a single hemisphere for a total of 24 facets or it can be two back-to-back hemispheres (Double Dutch Rose) forming a total of 48 facets.

The "Senaille Cut" is a Rose cut with irregular or non-symmetrical faceting. The "Briolette Cut" is a modified Double Dutch Rose cut with one of the hemispheres being elongated.

http://www.khulsey.com/jewelry/old_european_diamond_cuts.html

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2007 10:48:50 AM
Author: Vix
Ellen, you are too kind. I''m still miffed I blew it!
Oh for heaven''s sake, don''t be!! Even with macro and all the time in the world (which you clearly didn''t have), great shots still aren''t that easy.
2.gif

Thanks for the info! Going to read the link.
34.gif

CaityJ

Rough_Rock
That is gorgeous. Really and truly.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful Stone!!!!! I love it. I also really like the setting.

Linda

Vix

Shiny_Rock
I just saw your beautiful stone in another thread, but didn''t realize you didn''t have that beauty on your finger yet! How exciting. Hard to go wrong with a setting, I''d think, and the one you''re considering seems like a natural match.

I''ll be staying tuned....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2007 11:37:27 AM
Author: Vix
I just saw your beautiful stone in another thread, but didn''t realize you didn''t have that beauty on your finger yet! How exciting. Hard to go wrong with a setting, I''d think, and the one you''re considering seems like a natural match.

I''ll be staying tuned....
Indeed.

Beautiful!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
erica, that setting is diVINE!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2007 11:11:56 AM
Author: ericad
My new 2.09 carat, K (w/strong blue fluorescence), VS1 Old Mine/Cushion. It''s still loose but is on its way to singlestone for polishing and setting.
That is a lovely lovely stone!! More photos of the stone please.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
HOLY MOLY I just freakin LOVE that 2 ct OMC & Singlestone setting............. *thump*

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
More of the stone. The side shot makes the color look pretty saturated, but in reality it's not that yellow. It was taken at night under my kitchen lighting, surrounded by my yellow walls. Very misleading on color, but shows the wonderful depth of the stone!

Es100_3591-1.jpg

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One more! This is a "real life" pic of the ring setting (at least I''m pretty sure it''s the same one) although the prongs are different. I prefer the regular prongs in the first pic over the large claw prongs in this version.

1.44_KVS2.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
erica, absolutely go with the flat deco-era prongs in the SingleStone photo! I agree with you that they are far more flattering than those claw prongs, which I normally love, but in this case, the flat prongs are IT! I have them and I love them...

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is an image of a 17+ carat Antique Old-Mine Cut Diamond that came out of an important Russian Crown jewel sold by the Bolsheviks during the Russian Revolution in 1917.

Its a Rare High Quality OMC.

17caratsOMC.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2007 10:25:07 AM
Author: DiaGem
Here is an image of a 17+ carat Antique Old-Mine Cut Diamond that came out of an important Russian Crown jewel sold by the Bolsheviks during the Russian Revolution in 1917.

yikes2.gif

Oh. My. Gosh.
30.gif

Please, any more info??!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/21/2007 10:45:28 AM
Author: Ellen

yikes2.gif

Oh. My. Gosh.
30.gif

Please, any more info??!
It came out of a jewel created by Swedish jeweler Bolin circa 1850!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock

wholly heck!
23.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results