shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Your Antique Cuts - Part 2

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vix, thanks for posting the descriptions!

And your band is beautiful, I love it!! Can''t wait to see your other ring.

Alley, welcome! Glad you came out of lurkdom to post your ring.

I am wondering if it''s possibly an OMC, it looks kind of cushion shaped....But whatever it is, it''s gorgeous. And are those bows on the shank?? (I love bows) Beautiful set!!

Alleyoop

Rough_Rock
Ellen, Thanks for looking! You know, I always thought it was round... but after reading way too much PS, I looked at those pics and thought the same thing, maybe it was cushion-shaped! I was wondering if anyone would call it out and I wasn''t imagining it. Maybe I should have it appraised?

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Alley, it does look a bit cushion-y in that first pic -- and what a beautiful ring and set! It''s tough to find a matched pair like that unless it''s a heirloom; enjoy! [BTW, it looks larger than .5 to me, not that I''m an expert.]

Ellen, thanks! I was hoping to get my ring back while dropping off the band for a wee bit of sizing, but no luck today. I admit that I was also hoping to photograph a few of his loose stones for PScopers if he was game for it....

vintagebling

Shiny_Rock
I''m a little late, but here is my e-ring:

Here is her thread

IMG_6775.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Alley, I would have it appraised, just to know, if not for insurance purposes. Make sure you take it to someone who is familiar with old stones.

Vix, I would have loved to see nekkie diamond pics!
3.gif

Vintage, I was waiting for you to post that beauty!

vintagebling

Shiny_Rock
Ellen, you are so sweet! I started this thread over in Rockytalk about vintage settings but we could probably talk about them here?

vintagebling

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know of any good books written about the history of jewelry (engagement rings in particular - of course
2.gif
). I would like to be more certain about the history of stones and metals and the companies who were crafting all of these baubles!

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Vintage bling I love your set wow Hey Vintage I just read your other thread you mentioned Ashville are you from North Carolina?

Vix

Shiny_Rock
VB, I am so glad you decided to keep your custom setting (at least for now!). I do love old cuts in new streamlined metalwork, but this baby looks so good on your hand.

Here''s a list of rec''d reading from one online vendor:

Vintage/Antique Jewelry Reference books

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alleyoop welcome to PS
35.gif

Your ring is very beautiful!! Enjoy it.

vintagebling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/11/2007 12:40:16 PM
Author: Macie
Vintage bling I love your set wow Hey Vintage I just read your other thread you mentioned Asheville are you from North Carolina?

I am not from N.C., but have lived here for the last 6 years. It really is a fabulous city!
Actually from out west, S.F. area. Will probably return there when all done with my decade of school!

vintagebling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/11/2007 1:24:52 PM
Author: Vix
VB, I am so glad you decided to keep your custom setting (at least for now!). I do love old cuts in new streamlined metalwork, but this baby looks so good on your hand.

Here's a list of rec'd reading from one online vendor:

Vintage/Antique Jewelry Reference books

Thank you Vix! I am thinking about having some very talented engraver/ metal craftsman/woman do some engraving to the side. I think it would give it more of a vintage feel.

Oops...didn't mean to post pic, can't delete it...

L1001b.jpg

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OEC platinum dinner ring. Just another little thing that followed me home against my will.
2.gif
I think the best feature of single life is always being allowed to make a split-second unilateral decision...

This is before it was cleaned & polished. The fire is seen from across a room now.
1a28_1.jpg

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Both are so tempting I can see how you fell twice! Any chance we can see a hand shot of your newest?

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Boy, we have some new out-of-lurkdom members with some beautiful vintage rings! Thank you for sharing them.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW AB27 your rings are STUNNING!!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ada, thanks for sharing your beauties!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
This ring isn''t mine... I hesitated and someone else snapped it up
5.gif
But I want to share it because I think it''s so beautiful and unique. I''ve never seen a canary OEC before!

Specs on centre stone:
.65ct OEC
VS/Fancy yellow?

Ring size 6.9

canaryoec.jpg

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I''m on the fence about the color but the cut and setting would probably help swing me over! Thanks for sharing.

In me me me news, I''m *thrilled* to have my ring back on my non-elegant size 5 finger -- with another .5 carat stone that''s even more beautiful than my old diamond was pre-megachip-chunk!

This baby is shockingly white compared to its warmer-colored predecessor, and may be even more of a fireball. Once again I failed to capture the latter in photos, of course/grrrrr.

Aug07_Eurofacets.jpg

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 11:52:03 PM
Wow, I''m on the fence about the color but the cut and setting would probably help swing me over! Thanks for sharing.

In me me me news, I''m *thrilled* to have my ring back on my non-elegant size 5 finger -- with another .5 carat stone that''s even more beautiful than my old diamond was pre-megachip-chunk!

This baby is shockingly white compared to its warmer-colored predecessor, and may be even more of a fireball. Once again I failed to capture the latter in photos, of course/grrrrr.
Oh wow, it''s beautiful!!
36.gif
It looks bigger than your old diamond? Maybe because it''s so much whiter. I love it!

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a hand shot and a wee rainbow; now if I could just capture the disco ball in action....

Aug07_Euro_handcollage.jpg

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Wolftress, I was admiring that same yellow OEC! Such a pretty cute and I love those fishtail prongs. (Okay, my prong obsession is getting out of hand. ;))

Vix, LOVE the new stone. What a beauty!!!

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Wolftress and Kathy!

And it does look bigger, doesn''t it? I mean, it''s a wee bit larger carat weight: .49 vs .40. The diameter of both were really close, so I don''t think it''s the cut -- I think you''re right and it''s a color/clarity issue.

[My BIL said the same thing about my sister''s "new" vintage ring vs her old 3-stone''s center, and she went down a hair in size.]

I am ridiculously happy to have it back...the stone is really a crutch for me as I use it to zone out when I''m brainstorming/relaxing.

ps I can''t seem to access "edit profile" to change out my avatar -- maybe it''s a Mac thang?

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/14/2007 12:19:18 AM
Thank you, Wolftress and Kathy!

And it does look bigger, doesn''t it? I mean, it''s a wee bit larger carat weight: .49 vs .40. The diameter of both were really close, so I don''t think it''s the cut -- I think you''re right and it''s a color/clarity issue.

[My BIL said the same thing about my sister''s ''new'' vintage ring vs her old 3-stone''s center, and she went down a hair in size.]

I am ridiculously happy to have it back...the stone is really a crutch for me as I use it to zone out when I''m brainstorming/relaxing.

ps I can''t seem to access ''edit profile'' to change out my avatar -- maybe it''s a Mac thang?
I think white disco balls always look bigger
2.gif

Edit profile seems to be working fine. Must be a Mac thing.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Vix, it does look bigger! You''ve got some great finger coverage going on. :) Love the fire that stone gives off. Deeee-viiiiine!!

vintagebling

Shiny_Rock
Vix,
I LOVE it!! That first picture shows so many colored facets! It would be cool to capture the who;e spectrum. Your stone looks so clean and clear and great in that setting!

This is a ring I bought a year ago on ebay from the UK. Sapphires and tiny diamonds.

IMG_8326.jpg

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Vix, your ring is gorgeous and stunning!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results