color
clarity

Show Me Your Antique Cuts - Part 2

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/23/2007 9:14:20 AM
Author:Ellen
I was searching for an old cut chart and ran into the first thread started by ecf8503, and I was going to add my ring but it''s locked. So I''m starting a new one, as there have been many new antique rings posted on here since then.

Wow! I''ve been away for a while, and how wonderful it is to see so many new posts of old cuts! Thank you Ellen for continuing the thread I started; I''ve enjoyed seeing all the new beauties since I was last here regularly!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No problem ecf, great thread you started, so thank you!
2.gif

I wish I would have thought of asking at the time, but I''ve since learned we can send a link to Andrey and he''ll unlock it. I wish I''d known that then, but, at least it''s continuing!

Skippy, that brooch is so utterly devine, words fail me.
30.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2007 12:34:51 PM
Author: Ellen
Skippy, that brooch is so utterly devine, words fail me.
30.gif
You are so sweet Ellen, thank you ma''am! I love your oec, swoon!

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Fellow posters, I had to go *looking* for this thread and then get Andrey to unlock it -- no new posts in 2+ months? A crime against nature!

I''d seen Skippy''s amazing present in her other thread, but missed BlinkyDoll''s run of fabulous photos. Is there any follow up with the loose diamonds yet? Amazing!

Aside from hoping for more eye candy, I have a second-party contribution: my sister''s vintage ring that she bought when visiting me in the PNW last summer *cough* enabler *cough*!

Long story semi-short, when my sister visited me last summer she fell in love with an antique setting/OEC stone and ended up trading in her (rather bulky setting/chain store stone) for it. The vintage ring''s selling price was ~ 3K, give or take some negotiation -- though she did a trade in and paid out some cash.

I overlapped with her for just a few hours while I was in sunny (!!!111!!!) San Diego this holiday and got a few shots. I''ve never gotten to play with an OEC for that long; I didn''t want to give it back! You can definitely tell my European Cut is a close sibling, but that open culet is so fun.

It''s def a warmer stone than many would like, but like many old cuts it tends to face up well. The cut is *miles* better than her old stone -- it''s a fireball -- and the .88 center looks bigger than her former center did despite being a bit smaller.

Not to mention that IMO the platinum setting is beautifully fluid and much more flattering on her finger than her prior one -- we have the same non-long.and.elegant fingers and tapered bands work wonders. I also love the triple-claw(?) prongs and just adore how flush to her finger it sits; it would be much more practical for me, ha.

B_vintagering_cu_lorez.jpg

It''s showing its body color more in the handshot; I can''t quite figure out what lighting factors cause the fairly dramatic shifts. Maybe it''s just that it reflects everything darn thing?

B_vintagering_newband_lorez.jpg

* She hasn''t cleaned it since purchasing (eeeek) so I did what I could with a toothbrush and some Dawn and told her to borrow her friend''s ultrasound asap.

* She''s a 6.5 -7 ring size; wedding band is modern but works pretty well with her old beauty!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hey Vix! Lots of new additions to the OCC (Old Cuts Club) around here these days. Have you seen Ringster''s new OEC? Lovely! Your sister''s ring is lovely. Wish we could see what she traded in for comparison...I noticed her wband seems very contemporary. Has she considered taking the stones out of that band and making up a more vintagy band to go with the new/old ering? That would be really pretty!

You said you never played with an OEC that long but dont you own one and isn''t that it in your avatar? I was confused...!

I have a few new ering shots in this thread...I suppose I should put them here to but I hate to double up on different threads...Hey, show us some new shots of your ring soon...

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/op-requested/at-last-my-antique-ering-t61580-240.html

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
You all probably seen this a million times from this thread here but I thought I would add better pics to this since the earlier pic is fuzzy.
2.gif

Wow, Vix, that ring is beautiful!
3.gif

IMG340169.JPG

IMbskippys384.JPG

Vix

Shiny_Rock
I am catching up with the OCC -- and yes, Ringster's is amazing! Anyone else I'm missing, ha? Maybe having this thread pop up will lure them to post here, too.

My sister's band is contemporary, but I don't think she's going to embark on resetting the stones. [Doubt it'd be worth it, frankly, and her husband would take that to heart.] I -- surprisingly -- actually like the pairing. But that may be because I know her personality...I was a little surprised that she fell for a vintage stone in the first place! She traded in a 3-stone.

Oh, I know it's been discussed before -- maybe with Cehra? maybe even on this thread? -- but my cut is a European cut. It was a style that slipped in between OEC and Transitional, very big in the late teens through early '30s. No [edit: VERY LARGE] culet. I've often wondered if yours was a European Cut vs a Transitional!

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Skippy, yea! Now I can drool in one thread.

Surfgirl, gorgeous new shots of yours! [Hmmmm, I need some snow.] Come on, ya gotta post at least ONE of those here!

BTW, Here's PS' Richard Sherwood's take on things. I was typing fast above and meant to say my sister's very LARGE culet was fun...mine is tiny by comparison.

1860-1900 Old Mine Cuts (cushion shaped outline)
1900-1915 Old European Cuts (round outlines)
1920-1935 European Cuts (more streamlined)
1940-1950 Transitional Cut (transitioning from European
to Round Brilliant Cut)
1950-2003 Round Brilliant Cut

These dates are not absolutes, but generalities.

I have only heard the term transitional cut used referring to the transition from Euro to RBC. I don't think it's correctly used for the period of OEC transitioning to Euro Cut.

You've probably either got an Old European Cut or European Cut. From your description, it sounds like a European Cut, which would be right for a 1920-1925 dating.

Old European Cut characteristics- High crown, small table, short star facets, very large to extremely large culet, very large lower girdle facets, symmetry poor to good.

European Cut characteristics- Lower crown, larger table, larger star facets, medium to large culet, smaller (but larger than modern RBC) lower girdle facets, symmetry usually better (fair to very good).

If you can find out the proportions for your stone, we can tell you what era it falls in. A close up picture using a magnifier or loupe might do the trick as well.

pauly1

Shiny_Rock
While not certified as an old mine brilliant on the lab report, that''s what I was going for. I think this might fall in the antique realm.

cxDSC00689.JPG

pauly1

Shiny_Rock
1 more

cDSC00709.JPG

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 3:32:03 PM
Author: glitterkitty
Sorry for the delay ladies, we were flooded 4 weeks ago during torrential rain here in the UK and its a bit chaotic at home trying to get the house dry and arrange for new floorboards (and possibly joists - fingers crossed not) to be replaced
20.gif

however, here is a picture taken last year when we actually HAD a summer, and the bright round hot thing in the sky put in an appearance!
I''d love to see a side view of that ring. I currently have my eye on a similar ring. It''s exactly what I love.

Thanks

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2007 10:47:12 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 9/30/2007 8:04:32 PM
Author: blinkydoll
last one
4.gif
blinky, I LOVE this shot!! That necklace is going to be amazing....are those truly old stones, or just new ones cut like old?

Thanks so much for sharing your lovlies!
Thanks! yup-- they are truly old stones-- Oh i''m glad this thread was bumped---- I will be adding some new Old diamonds soon-- i have two transitional cuts and one more OEC
emsmile.gif
look for pics soon
emclock.gif

I will also be starting a thread soon with all the stones going in the neclace--- I will definatlly need help figuring out what to do--eeeek

Skippy 123----- Your bracelet is soooooo Beautifull!! I love the craftmanship! i''m not sure if i may have missed this-- but do you have any shots wearing the bracelet?
emteeth.gif
30.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2008 4:31:42 PM
Author: blinkydoll

Thanks! yup-- they are truly old stones-- Oh i''m glad this thread was bumped---- I will be adding some new Old diamonds soon-- i have two transitional cuts and one more OEC
emsmile.gif
look for pics soon
emclock.gif

I will also be starting a thread soon with all the stones going in the neclace--- I will definatlly need help figuring out what to do--eeeek

Skippy 123----- Your bracelet is soooooo Beautifull!! I love the craftmanship! i''m not sure if i may have missed this-- but do you have any shots wearing the bracelet?
emteeth.gif
30.gif
Awesome!! I can''t wait for your thread on designing the necklace.

And there is that swoonable brooch again.... *sigh*

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/5/2008 3:11:52 PM
Author: Vix
Skippy, yea! Now I can drool in one thread.

Surfgirl, gorgeous new shots of yours! [Hmmmm, I need some snow.] Come on, ya gotta post at least ONE of those here!

BTW, Here''s PS'' Richard Sherwood''s take on things. I was typing fast above and meant to say my sister''s very LARGE culet was fun...mine is tiny by comparison.If you dont mind..., just adding some more info...
1.gif

1860-1900 Old Mine Cuts (cushion shaped outline) The earliest known OMC (brilliant) is as early as the second half of the 17th. Century.
1900-1915 Old European Cuts (round outlines) There is a possibility that the first round outlines should be called Old American cut...
27.gif

See: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/american-cut-the-first-100-years-by-al-gilbertson-g-g.71573/

1920-1935 European Cuts (more streamlined)
1940-1950 Transitional Cut (transitioning from European
to Round Brilliant Cut)
1950-2003 Round Brilliant Cut

These dates are not absolutes, but generalities.

I have only heard the term transitional cut used referring to the transition from Euro to RBC. I don''t think it''s correctly used for the period of OEC transitioning to Euro Cut.

You''ve probably either got an Old European Cut or European Cut. From your description, it sounds like a European Cut, which would be right for a 1920-1925 dating.

Old European Cut characteristics- High crown, small table, short star facets, very large to extremely large culet, very large (short) lower girdle facets, symmetry poor to good.

European Cut characteristics- Lower crown, larger table, larger star facets, medium to large culet, smaller (longer) (but larger than modern RBC) lower girdle facets, symmetry usually better (fair to very good).

If you can find out the proportions for your stone, we can tell you what era it falls in. A close up picture using a magnifier or loupe might do the trick as well.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
DG, that was a very interesting article...Is the actual book good reading or is it really dry? I couldn''t tell...I did love this last quote, which sums up my personal views on selecting a stone:

In the epilogue Mr. Gilbertson writes, "Today when diamonds can be accurately measured to a much higher degree of precision, we find that there is a relatively wide range of appealing proportions...Diamond grading reports that analyze cut merely help the consumer understand the overall grades and appearances that are preferred. We should look at the diamond itself to see if its appearance is what we personally deem the most pleasing to our eyes, making it our own ideal."

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/7/2008 12:46:08 PM
Author: surfgirl
DG, that was a very interesting article...Is the actual book good reading or is it really dry? I couldn''t tell...I did love this last quote, which sums up my personal views on selecting a stone:

In the epilogue Mr. Gilbertson writes, ''Today when diamonds can be accurately measured to a much higher degree of precision, we find that there is a relatively wide range of appealing proportions...Diamond grading reports that analyze cut merely help the consumer understand the overall grades and appearances that are preferred. We should look at the diamond itself to see if its appearance is what we personally deem the most pleasing to our eyes, making it our own ideal.''
SG..., I didnt have the chance to read the book yet..., but I intend to in the near future..., I hope.
I doubt it can be ''dry''..., for people who are interested on the subject.

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
I finally managed to get a relatively clear photo of my OEC (although after reading this thread I''m thinking it is probably a Transitional Cut as the cutlet is quite small). Specs according to the appraisal that came with the ring were 1.35ct, P/VS2. It''s definitely got a warmer tint to it, but I love it. I''m having it remounted and thinking of putting it in a plat x-prong type mounting as I love the combination of an old cut stone in a modern mounting.

18950.jpg

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
Blinky ~ I love your pieces! I recently got a pair of oec earrings from an antique shop and I love them! I have been trying to get good enough pics to post but it has been so gloomy here in Mich.
8.gif
I love your idea of making a necklace out of all those older cut diamonds! If you don''t mind me asking, where were you able to find so many? Thanks for sharing all of your beautiful pieces!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I bought this stone in a ring on ebay several years ago. It was chiped and has a fracture, so I mounted it in a pendant to keep it safe, and gave it to my sister for her college graduation. I believe it''s a transistional cut. There is a tiny culet, but the table is huge!

jewelry013.jpg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
It's about .5ct, I forgot to have it weighed when it was out of the mounting. Here you can see how shallow the crown is:

jewelry014.jpg

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I think I had confused this thread with the old one and hadn''t been checking it...my BIG mistake! There are some AMAZING pieces and stones on here! I can''t believe I was missing them! You guys have the best antique jewelry!

Here''s my ring to add to the mix. And the specs again: 2.3 ct I SI1 OEC in modern Michael Bondanza plat setting with .3 cttw RBs.

KVSOECringJan08.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your stone is sooooo AMAZING Facetfire!!! Swoooooon!

Pauly, Softlysoftly, Mustangfan and Ringster beautiful! Lots of beauty's
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was hoping more people would show off their beautiful antique cuts. Bumpies for more
9.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 4:33:42 PM
Author: Skippy123
I was hoping more people would show off their beautiful antique cuts. Bumpies for more
9.gif

Super bump Skippy!

I adore these antique cuts. And I got to take another look at your beautiful brooch!
30.gif

Facetfire, I too am swooning over your stone! I could get lost in those facets...
30.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 4:39:22 PM
Author: coatimundi

Date: 3/31/2008 4:33:42 PM
Author: Skippy123
9.gif

Super bump Skippy!

I adore these antique cuts. And I got to take another look at your beautiful brooch!
30.gif

Facetfire, I too am swooning over your stone! I could get lost in those facets...
30.gif
Coatimundi, thank you sweetie! I agree I can get lost in Facetfire''s stone also and so many others
12.gif

glueck

Shiny_Rock
My OEC ering!

0.73 tcw

0.61 J/vs1 with 4-3 point single cuts in the mounting. Original platinum setting and stone from 1910''s

Proud to add a few photos of it to this list of beauties!

DSC01307.jpg

glueck

Shiny_Rock
another

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please try again glueck, your pretty ring didn''t attach.

glueck

Shiny_Rock
Bummer! I am having some technical difficulties... but I will post more when I solve my problems here..... OH! If I were only a computer person!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results