color
clarity

Shades of green...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2010 1:21:21 AM
Author: crasru
They practically cost me nothing because the place was going out of business. Round tsavorites, 0.5 mm each, green-blue color IRL. Unfortunately, the hapless jeweler set them in WG huggies with stones dangling from them. I need to make something out of them since they are not bad at all but have no idea. I do not want earring, maybe a ring with a square central stone and two tsavos flanking it. What do you think? Or leave them as they are and not bother?
And I threw this in just for fun. A "stone" but not a gem, just a malachite, but I like the setting. It is pretty old.

DSC00492.JPG

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
I hope everyone''s not yet bored by many greens... I gotta post my (recut) peridot ring (Thank God it finally arrived!)

8.2mm in Argentium Silver

1MSWP.JPG

Messiah Khan

Rough_Rock
My .52ct Russian Dematoid (I haven''t seen it in person yet as i had it sent direct to my jewellers)
34342.jpg

And the ring it is going in (except it is now only having the side knots, not the front and back ones)
5ccra.jpg

1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru,
Those are lovely looking tsavorites. I''ve seen some set as sidestones for a 3 stone ring, so that''s a definite possibility.

Blithe,
There''s never any boredom with so many gorgeous greens in this thread. Post away! I may have missed it but who did the setting for your peridot? It''s very different and beautiful.

Khan,
I kept up with your search for a green stone and wonder how''s the ring coming along?

Messiah Khan

Rough_Rock
Hey Chrono. The ring is about to start. I have just signed off the designs, so the jeweler is just waiting for the contract to be returned and the stone to arrive (tracking says it arrived in the UK yesterday.) So hopefully it should be done within a month or so. In the end I went with a design similar to above, except only two knots, with a small ''v'' detail between the shank and the knot. The shank & detail will be in Stirling silver, and the rub over setting in Platinum, with a circular holes cut in the setting to allow more light through.

I have also been designing and commissioning a bespoke box for it to go in. I''m having it made by a local woodcraft workshop who do some really nice work with hardwoods. It''s probably going to be made out of either Walnut or Imbuia with silver & green resin detail. I have also been busy today picking out the fabric for the cushion the ring will sit in. Going for a silk with a slight velvet feel at $220 per metre. Fortunately I can get a free sample that should be big enough. I am also making a plaque for the bottom of the box by acid etching silver plate. The plaque will list the details of the stone, ring & box.

Really looking forward to see it all coming together.
1.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More GREAT greens. Thank you all for sharing. The jade is really cool.

Here''s Barry''s photo of my new Peridot...

Stone Hunter BB Peridot.jpg

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Chrono,
Thank you for the compliment. It''s made by Andrea Norie (Etsy seller customadornment). I hope a lot of PSers too would try out her shop ''cos she''s very nice, artistic and cool
2.gif

Messiah Khan,
Wow! The setting for your demantoid looks fab. Can hardly wait to see its lovely result.

Stone hunter,
That''s a nice gem... & your avatar looks gorgeous.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to add my 5.04 ct. tsavorite ring. Stone from Gene...

P304123512.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obviously not a fine piece of jadeite but I like it because of the pattern.

chronosbangle1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The gamer side is showing through but makes for a nice support.
9.gif

gamerbangle1.jpg

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 1:21:21 AM
Author: crasru
They practically cost me nothing because the place was going out of business. Round tsavorites, 0.5 mm each, green-blue color IRL. Unfortunately, the hapless jeweler set them in WG huggies with stones dangling from them. I need to make something out of them since they are not bad at all but have no idea. I do not want earring, maybe a ring with a square central stone and two tsavos flanking it. What do you think? Or leave them as they are and not bother?
You mean 5 mm, right? If you aren''t wearing them, I''d take a pair of wire snippers to the huggies and just wear one of the tsavorites on a chain, just to get them out of my jewelry box.

xlent

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the photos. I have been thinking of buying a green stone..possibly emerald or some small stones to have channel set in gold but possibly..silver..small emeralds maybe but..I really like the peridot now that I see the pictures. How well does peridot wear in an everyday ring?
What stones look good in silver?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2010 4:05:20 PM
Author: xlent
Thanks for all the photos. I have been thinking of buying a green stone..possibly emerald or some small stones to have channel set in gold but possibly..silver..small emeralds maybe but..I really like the peridot now that I see the pictures. How well does peridot wear in an everyday ring?
What stones look good in silver?
Peridot is relatively soft and cannot handle the wear and tear of everyday wear.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your lovely green stones.
Messiah Khan, I am so happy for you! The lady you love must feel very special...Congratulations - so much feelings and creative energy went into this project.

hey joe

Rough_Rock
Tourmaline from Barry

bbgreentour.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided to post my demantoid, too - so that I continue the thread

deman405.JPG

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Wow, this thread has really exploded! I love seeing all these green gems.

Most of you guys have seen my new prasiolite, but I figure I should add it to my own thread...

Pra314_sm.jpg

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A very small but beautiful tsavorite I just bought myself. 5x3.5mm and .34 carats.

I don't tend to spend a lot on stones for myself, and I decided I wanted a tsavorite. To keep the cost down and the quality up, I bought a small one. I think I actually want a slightly lighter one too - this color is beautiful but doesn't wow me as much as some of the ligher tsavs I've seen.

Destined for a simple, somewhat broad stackable ring in an east-west setting. First pic is from the vendor.

garnet_tsavorite_oval_gem.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Distinction,
Nice photos. I wish mine were able to capture the green like that.

Here are three Columbian emerald rings of varying tones and saturations. The one on the right is very saturated color and indicative of Muzo material and set in platinum/18K with diamonds, but my photograph is awful. It looks a billion times better in person, and is cleaner than the photo suggests. The one on the left, while larger, is no where near as saturated, and is light in tone. The one in the middle is between these two in saturation and tone, and it is not as clean as the one on the right. I have had them all for over ten years.

They range from 2.5 to around 2 carats.

TLcolumbianemeraldrings.JPG

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/21/2010 8:59:55 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Distinction,

Nice photos. I wish mine were able to capture the green like that.

Here are three Columbian emerald rings of varying tones and saturations. The one on the right is very saturated color and indicative of Muzo material and set in platinum/18K with diamonds, but my photograph is awful. It looks a billion times better in person, and is cleaner than the photo suggests. The one on the left, while larger, is no where near as saturated, and is light in tone. The one in the middle is between these two in saturation and tone, and it is not as clean as the one on the right. I have had them all for over ten years.

They range from 2.5 to around 2 carats.

Wow, I can only imagine how beautiful those emeralds must be in person.

Thanks for the photo compliment. I have a pretty average camera, I had to learn to get very good at photographing jewelry with it. I find photographing unset stones to be a lot harder than photographing jewelry, though
7.gif
Maybe because I haven''t done a lot of it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The tsavorite has a nice color. The emeralds are gorgeous. I think you make stunning photography, but your camera appears to be poorly capturing the green. Mine is simply color-blind. I wonder if color sensitivity can be manually set or is it impossible?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Distinction and Crasru,
I have tried everything on that camera to capture the green of my emeralds and tsavorites. The tsavorites end up looking too yellow, and the emeralds end up looking like blue fuzz. It even makes the emeralds look more included than they are. Oh well.
7.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
those demantoids are gorgeous brandy :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know if this belongs in the blue or green thread, but here''s my 4.5 ct mint tourmaline sitting atop an empty mount. I love the color here, it goes more blue in incandescent light, and more green in daylight. I finally fixed the white balance to get the true color on this gem.

TLmingtourmyg2.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice tourm TL! I thought I''d bump this thread since it''s finally spring weather here in PA!

Here''s my 1.5 ct opposed bar tourmaline

500x375.aspx

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
MTG, I think opposed bar cuts are so cool! Can I ask where you got yours?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results