shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for an AVR...poll

Which setting would you choose for an AVR?

• The classic Vatche Tiffany so multiple wedding bands would work, including the Victor Canera french

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • The Van Craeynest setting because it is perfect with an old style cut stone.

Votes: 49 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
DISCLAIMER: Did not read anything more than the first few posts.

I voted for the VC but I would really just get something else entirely. I find that when I am debating between 2 options - it usually means that neither is the right answer (especially for settings). I think the Victor Anya was linked earlier - love that setting and think it will look awesome with an AVR.

Not sure how helpful I am .. as I always take forever to decide on the setting (longer than on the diamond itself).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1347139524|3264421 said:
DISCLAIMER: Did not read anything more than the first few posts.

I voted for the VC but I would really just get something else entirely. I find that when I am debating between 2 options - it usually means that neither is the right answer (especially for settings). I think the Victor Anya was linked earlier - love that setting and think it will look awesome with an AVR.

Not sure how helpful I am .. as I always take forever to decide on the setting (longer than on the diamond itself).

Oh, yes, I also can choose a diamond MUCH faster than a setting! You have multiple rings, though, and that is how you resolve the conflict! I adore the Anya, but it would cost considerably more than the VanC, and for some reason, I think I'd choose a cushion for that setting.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vatche for sure! I think it'll look fab with a bunch of vintage stacking bands.

ETA: I love Burk's set below; she has a vintage stone in a solitaire, and the stacking possibilities are endless!!

burk_set.jpg

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347138167|3264411 said:
Cookie...I am braindead...I remember the 558! Hopefully you can post a picture over on the VC thread!

DS, I just posted a couple pictures in the VC thread! :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1347143442|3264451 said:
Vatche for sure! I think it'll look fab with a bunch of vintage stacking bands.

ETA: I love Burk's set below; she has a vintage stone in a solitaire, and the stacking possibilities are endless!!

Ahhh....I had forgotten about her new set! Beautiful! This illustrates why this is hard!

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347123654|3264314 said:
Mike R|1347091379|3264172 said:
Hi DS
My vote is for the VC ring, I think it will look great with the old cut style diamond and to my eyes it's just more interesting and unique looking, if your going to have a change why not go for something a little different this time.
(I would have someone set it that can finish the prong tips into slightly more duplicate looking claws also)

Hi, Mike! How very nice of you to take the time to comment! Since I consider you one of the world's best ring designers and makers, I greatly value your opinion! The VanC is die struck with the original 100 year old dies and then all hand carved. I do think that is rare these days just as hand forged rings like you make are. I will definitely ask for claw prongs, but I am not sure what you mean by "duplicate looking". I have seen good and no so good prongs on VanC pieces, but I think the person I would be going through to get the ring would be receptive to improving the prongs.

Thank you again...you vote counts double! :))

Thanks DS, your too kind.
You know what, it is really just that more special to have a ring that has been created by an artist rather than something that's cast in the thousands, it sort of gives the piece a soul and is a real luxury (to me this is what jewellery is about)

A big oops regarding duplicate looking claws, that's what you get for posting at 2am while waiting for your girlfriend to call, it was meant to read delicate looking claws before the auto correct fixed it for me.

Good luck with your choosing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Mike! I thought there was a new term I didn't know about prongs! :bigsmile: I hope your girlfriend finally called! You are absolutely right about the art aspect. That is what I love so much about your work, so I take your advice very seriously!

You might enjoy seeing this..created by a Van Craeynest artist:

http://www.luxist.com/tag/van+craeynest/

americaneggkaufman.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And Mike, look at the bottom of the box where I am posting. :))

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347148287|3264479 said:
Thank you, Mike! I thought there was a new term I didn't know about prongs! :bigsmile: I hope your girlfriend finally called! You are absolutely right about the art aspect. That is what I love so much about your work, so I take your advice very seriously!

You might enjoy seeing this..created by a Van Craeynest artist:

http://www.luxist.com/tag/van+craeynest/

No problem. I did get the call thanks ;-)

I saw some of VC's work at JCK this year, I only looked for less than a minute but what I saw was very well done and pretty.

Your too funny DS, that's a great signeture :lol:

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Since you already have the Vatche setting, I would pop an AVR in there to test drive it!

I voted for the VC because it is such a beautifully crafted item that I could not not love it for what it is. I find Baudrey (sp) to be a completely different style of vintage look so I would not take that into consideration, especially since you will only wear them when you dress up.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
shimmer|1347193701|3264621 said:
Since you already have the Vatche setting, I would pop an AVR in there to test drive it!

I voted for the VC because it is such a beautifully crafted item that I could not not love it for what it is. I find Baudrey (sp) to be a completely different style of vintage look so I would not take that into consideration, especially since you will only wear them when you dress up.

Oh, if only we could pop stones in and out of settings! That would solve the entire problem because I could have both! I'd pop one in if the setting was empty, but it does have a diamond in it at the moment!

That is true, I might wear a RHR once a week max, so that shouldn't prevent me from getting a certain wedding set as long as the styles are complimentary, which they would be.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Excited to see your new AVR! Well done narrowing the choice down to two settings, they're both beautiful and I can see why you love them both.

I thought I'd explain my poll answer. I chose the tiffany style for a few reasons:
-You know you like it since you already have one
-Concern that the VC might overpower your stone as others have suggested (I'm not sure about this but I wouldn't want to take the risk)
-More flexibility to change the overall look with bands
-If you get the tiffany style you can always buy other VC pieces (more pics for PS - yay!)

With the poll being split so evenly I think you'll have to break the tie yourself. Good luck!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for the VanC! Primarily because you have been chasing after it for a long time, which tells me it's time to scratch that itch.

Let me ask you, can you keep the Vatche and would it fit your potential new stone? If so, why not get the VanC and if worst comes to worst, you can reset back to your Vatche. Then, put a colored stone in the VanC.

Also, with the changes in the midst at VanC, are you willing to risk not getting it while you are sure you have it crafted the way they always have been? Say you stay with the Vatche only to find yourself still craving the VanC a few years down the road... but they have done away with or altered their method of manufacture. Would it mean as much to you? If so, that's great. If not, that's more reason in my book to go for the true piece of art now.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good points Rainydaze! I like your thinking. Get the VC, and keep the Vatche as a fall back so to speak. True, in a few years, you never know if the VC's will still be available and in the same high quality casting they are currently made in.

DS - any feeling one way or another at this point? the votes are now leaning to the VC option!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
quaddio|1347217697|3264801 said:
Excited to see your new AVR! Well done narrowing the choice down to two settings, they're both beautiful and I can see why you love them both.

I thought I'd explain my poll answer. I chose the tiffany style for a few reasons:
-You know you like it since you already have one
-Concern that the VC might overpower your stone as others have suggested (I'm not sure about this but I wouldn't want to take the risk)
-More flexibility to change the overall look with bands
-If you get the tiffany style you can always buy other VC pieces (more pics for PS - yay!)

With the poll being split so evenly I think you'll have to break the tie yourself. Good luck!

Thanks, quaddio! I am glad you like both! It is interesting to see how the vote is split!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainydaze|1347227809|3264865 said:
I voted for the VanC! Primarily because you have been chasing after it for a long time, which tells me it's time to scratch that itch.

Let me ask you, can you keep the Vatche and would it fit your potential new stone? If so, why not get the VanC and if worst comes to worst, you can reset back to your Vatche. Then, put a colored stone in the VanC.

Also, with the changes in the midst at VanC, are you willing to risk not getting it while you are sure you have it crafted the way they always have been? Say you stay with the Vatche only to find yourself still craving the VanC a few years down the road... but they have done away with or altered their method of manufacture. Would it mean as much to you? If so, that's great. If not, that's more reason in my book to go for the true piece of art now.

Hi, rainy! The size of the stone I am most interested in would not fit my Vatche setting. However, I haven't even seen it yet so I cannot be certain that the stone I have in mind will be the one I buy. But as long as I own the diamond in the Vatche setting, I am keeping it in there until I figure out what I want to do with it.

I definitely feel time pressure to get the VC now. I totally trust Paul Emerson that the rings will remain excellent quality since all the hand work will still be done regardless. But just on principle, I would like this one ring made the original way. I am not totally ruling out other antique style settings, but I have loved this one a long time.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1347233806|3264902 said:
Good points Rainydaze! I like your thinking. Get the VC, and keep the Vatche as a fall back so to speak. True, in a few years, you never know if the VC's will still be available and in the same high quality casting they are currently made in.

DS - any feeling one way or another at this point? the votes are now leaning to the VC option!

Enerchi, the VC rings are now die stuck and then hand carved, chased, milgrained, etc. They are experimenting with casting instead of die striking, but the end result should look exactly the same (since all the hand carving, etc. will still be done) while reducing the cost of the rings. Only jewelry nuts like us would really care, but since I know about the history, I want one made the old way just because!

It has been interesting watching the votes. I sort of thought it might go more strongly one way or the other. I think the thing that has had the most impact was what Mike Robinson said yesterday (which I have down in my signature line). The analogy I think of is a beautiful fashion model. She is beautiful when she is at home in her sweats and with no make-up and her hair in a pony tail. But when she has on her make-up, her hair is done, and she has on beautiful clothing, the total picture is stunning. I can have a beautiful diamond, and that diamond can be dressed plainly or with beautiful clothing. I think that diamond deserves to be dressed in something really beautiful. I appreciate the artistry of fine handmade antique style settings. So at this point, I think I am leaning in that direction. If I do it and then worry about missing my Vatche Tiffany, I simply will not sell that diamond or ring and just wear it some of the time. The one unknown I have about the VanC ring is whether my current w-band will go with it or not, and it would make it easier if it would. I am not closing the door to other settings in the event I should find one I love more.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's great! It sounds like you've come to some comfortable closure to the debate of which direction to take - that's such a great feeling to know you have (almost) got "the one"! Terrific news, DS!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Late to the game but my vote is for the VanC. I think it's beautiful and fits an AVR better.

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
One more for the VC, and not just because of my undying love for it :) I know you've seen this setting with your own eyes but maybe I could remind you of how it presents at normal viewing distances, i.e. it looks like two pears against the round, (about as modern classic after standard Tiffany style as it gets), but with a little more oomph even at that level maybe? Anyway, I'd love to see you go for the VC because I strongly suspect you'd be thrilled by it every time you cop a glance! As you and Victor say, a fine dressing for what will undoubtedly be a stunning diamond is an equality you don't want to disturb (this is why I like to set stones I love into these settings -- no more messing and guessing, and I hope the same for you!).

P.S. I can head to Tiffany and take pics of my version with the legacy band if you like? I have a couple of milgrained but tiny diamond bands that probably don't do the comparison justice.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aeolianarpa|1347248566|3265027 said:
One more for the VC, and not just because of my undying love for it :) I know you've seen this setting with your own eyes but maybe I could remind you of how it presents at normal viewing distances, i.e. it looks like two pears against the round, (about as modern classic after standard Tiffany style as it gets), but with a little more oomph even at that level maybe? Anyway, I'd love to see you go for the VC because I strongly suspect you'd be thrilled by it every time you cop a glance! As you and Victor say, a fine dressing for what will undoubtedly be a stunning diamond is an equality you don't want to disturb (this is why I like to set stones I love into these settings -- no more messing and guessing, and I hope the same for you!).

P.S. I can head to Tiffany and take pics of my version with the legacy band if you like? I have a couple of milgrained but tiny diamond bands that probably don't do the comparison justice.

I am glad you saw this and had the chance to vote, Aeol!

Oh wow, if you happen to go near Tiffany that would be terrific! Mine is the smaller 2mm band. Do you think that will work or do you think I should get the matching band? I love the matching band but hate to spend the money if the legacy band will work well. I think you have the 917 with yours and it is very pretty as well. I have your collage of your ring saved in my VanC picture folder!

I have one other question. Is your stone set really low? I was just wondering about the overall height compared to my current ring. I like the height of my current ring because my Leon setting was almost too low.

I do think that people seeing these enlarged pictures are worried needlessly about the setting overpowering the stone, because as we know, the settings are tiny and delicate! I think the only thing that was swaying me in the other direction was my love for Victor's french cut, engraved band. It is so spectacular. But maybe if I save my pennies I can just get a larger one as a standalone ring someday.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347235480|3264916 said:
It has been interesting watching the votes. I sort of thought it might go more strongly one way or the other. I think the thing that has had the most impact was what Mike Robinson said yesterday (which I have down in my signature line). The analogy I think of is a beautiful fashion model. She is beautiful when she is at home in her sweats and with no make-up and her hair in a pony tail. But when she has on her make-up, her hair is done, and she has on beautiful clothing, the total picture is stunning. I can have a beautiful diamond, and that diamond can be dressed plainly or with beautiful clothing. I think that diamond deserves to be dressed in something really beautiful. I appreciate the artistry of fine handmade antique style settings. So at this point, I think I am leaning in that direction. If I do it and then worry about missing my Vatche Tiffany, I simply will not sell that diamond or ring and just wear it some of the time. The one unknown I have about the VanC ring is whether my current w-band will go with it or not, and it would make it easier if it would. I am not closing the door to other settings in the event I should find one I love more.

Glad to hear this! Out of the 2 I definitely much prefer the AVR with the antique-style setting. Can't wait to see what you end up deciding. And I really think your legacy band will look great with it!

Luxie

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I voted for the VC because of the vintage feel, I think it goes better with the vintage stone. Personally, the plain Tiffany style settings are boring to me :::ducking and running for cover::: :saint: (my original er was a Tiffany style setting as was my very first upgrade) but I was always looking at the antique-y/pave settings and wishing for one of those instead. I like ring styles that have creative detail, especially antique/vintage styles and that VC setting is just beautiful.

P.S. I also think stacking/eternity band(s) would look fab with the VC, I really dont think the setting needs to be plain in order to wear with stack/eternity rings. (Of course I love lots of bling, the more the better - I wear my diamonds all day, every day, except for in the shower. As a SAHM I dress very casually and plain during the weekdays and even though I am dressed down, I still love wearing my diamonds everywhere I go (even just around the house) and of course when I get all dressed up on the weekends to go out with DH, they are a part of me) so I am all for stacking beautiful bands with a fancier solitaire. :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your comments alene, stargurl, and good luxe girl! I think it is great when we jewelry lovers can enjoy wearing our diamonds even when we have casual lifestyles! After all, we wear it for our own enjoyment and no one else's! It looks like the VC votes are beginning to exceed the others.

Good luxe girl...it would be great if I could try on bands with the VC ring to see which styles would work with it. I am sure you are right that some would.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347292703|3265236 said:
Thanks for your comments alene, stargurl, and good luxe girl! I think it is great when we jewelry lovers can enjoy wearing our diamonds even when we have casual lifestyles! After all, we wear it for our own enjoyment and no one else's! It looks like the VC votes are beginning to exceed the others.

Good luxe girl...it would be great if I could try on bands with the VC ring to see which styles would work with it. I am sure you are right that some would.

Sweetie, can you ask VC is they can send out a setting to you on Memo, or even have you put a charge for the thing on your CC, have them send it out, examine it on your hand, and then send it back (for a refund)? Or have it sent to a local appraiser? That's what I would ask.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, Gypsy! That is a really great idea! I am not sure I have ever heard of them doing that, but I can certainly ask. That way I could try it on with my current bands.

I have did see them in person several years ago, however. I think one reason I didn't get it then was somehow a modern stone didn't look best in the setting to me. I just have a couple of pictures.

vc_rings_004_ds2006.jpg

vc_rings_004x2_ds2006.jpg

vc_rings_009_ds2006.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great pictures - I do like that setting with a MRB as well though! I'm not crazy about the wedding band - the shape of it is not nearly as appealing as the ering is.

Do you have any idea of the timeline for GOG getting in another AVR for you to see? It would be great to have the mounting and an AVR to sit in it to see exactly what it would look like before you made the commitment!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't like the matching WB and think that might have been throwing you off. I would much prefer that setting paired with your legacy, or a simpler wb that has the knife edge detail and milgrain or engraving but was eternity style, not interrupted by the diamonds accross the top. I feel like that would be a MUCH more classic look. I think if you go that direction then get the e-ring and figure out the wb after the fact. When you have the e-ring you could figure out the best mate, which may be matching or not. I am sure any of the artisan metalsmiths could make something complimentary, but not matching. And a simpler wb would go a long was to making the set more classic and "you".

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
The matching Van Craeynest wedding band actually has two different versions -- one of them has diamonds across the top (like in DS' picture), and the other doesn't have any diamonds. DS, you probably have already known the difference, but I am posting the comparison pictures just in case!

vc_484_2.png
vc_484_1.png

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
I am glad you saw this and had the chance to vote, Aeol!

Oh wow, if you happen to go near Tiffany that would be terrific! Mine is the smaller 2mm band. Do you think that will work or do you think I should get the matching band? I love the matching band but hate to spend the money if the legacy band will work well. I think you have the 917 with yours and it is very pretty as well. I have your collage of your ring saved in my VanC picture folder!

I have one other question. Is your stone set really low? I was just wondering about the overall height compared to my current ring. I like the height of my current ring because my Leon setting was almost too low.

I do think that people seeing these enlarged pictures are worried needlessly about the setting overpowering the stone, because as we know, the settings are tiny and delicate! I think the only thing that was swaying me in the other direction was my love for Victor's french cut, engraved band. It is so spectacular. But maybe if I save my pennies I can just get a larger one as a standalone ring someday.

I'm very glad to be able to enable, DS!! :) I'll be down Tiffany way tomorrow and will have the pics on your desktop in the mid-evening at the latest! I'm really curious to see what it will look like so I took a few pics of some bands you might find interesting. Of course the results on your 5.5 finger (vs my 7.5) are likely to be way more neat, clear and symmetric, so please keep that in mind!

According to my trusty rule, the diamond's table is coming up on 7mm from the top of my finger. As your rock is going to be larger, (mine is about 7.5mm) you can expect that height to climb proportionately. I'm sure Larry could tune it any way you'd like!

I can't for sure say which way I'd lean for the band, because your finger size can support many aesthetics that mine can't. In general I think a straight edge against any antique style is a good way to go. How many inherited antique sets match perfectly?! :razz: Some food for thought:

484and917.jpg

484andidj.jpg

484andidj1.jpg

484andmatcher.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results