shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for an AVR...poll

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by diamondseeker2006, Sep 7, 2012.

Which setting would you choose for an AVR?

Poll closed Sep 17, 2012.
  1. The classic Vatche Tiffany so multiple wedding bands would work, including the Victor Canera french

38 vote(s)
    43.7%
  2. The Van Craeynest setting because it is perfect with an old style cut stone.

49 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by diamondseeker2006 » Sep 13, 2012
    Thanks, Skippy! yes, that is very similar!

Stargurl, I am sorry if I missed where you suggested that ring before. I have always liked that setting but was trying not to let myself have too many choices! I really like the setting I have now except that it isn't exactly special for the stone I hope to get. So when I decided I needed to reconsider a plainer setting, I was forced to expand my options! I like the tiny double prongs on kmom's setting and I want the height of the head up a little higher. This looks a little like Leon height and I need the shank higher or something so bands can work with the ring. I do like the JBEG version without the side pieces, too.

2. stargurl78
    Ideal_Rock

by stargurl78 » Sep 13, 2012
    Don't apologize DS!! I'm glad you are reconsidering plainer antique settings since they seem to fit your style a bit more. You're right that the Sophie in that pic does look a bit low.

I can't wait to see how this ring turns out! Any word back from GOG on a possible diamond yet?

3. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes, the diamond I am interested in is expected in the next week or so and then it has to be sent to AGS. So it might be a couple of weeks before I get to see the pictures, etc.

4. Demelza
    Ideal_Rock

by Demelza » Sep 13, 2012
    Having seen the VC on your hand now, I think it's good you're considering simpler settings still in the antique style. The VC is lovely, but more ornate than I might like for an everyday ring. I think something in between the VC and the Vatche is in order, so I think you're heading down the right path -- still a solitaire but one more suited for an antique-style stone!

5. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks, Dem! I am glad you think I may be headed in a better direction. It's funny but I was just thinking about your new setting. I think it has a good balance of having character without being too ornate as well.

6. armywife13
    Ideal_Rock

by armywife13 » Sep 13, 2012
    I absolutely adore this setting. This gets my vote!

7. MissGotRocks
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by MissGotRocks » Sep 13, 2012
    Yes, I really like this! I think you're on to something now!

8. Skippy123
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Skippy123 » Sep 13, 2012
    Oh no Cookie, that is Terrible!!! :errrr: VC is amazing!!!

DS, I also loved the VC rings you posted in the VC thread :love:

9. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

MGR...thanks! It does sound like a lot of people favor that kind of style!

Skippy, thanks! Those are samples I have here now. They are posted on this thread a couple of pages back, too. I am worried about the wedding set being too ornate because I need them to be a little more simple for when I wear my Beaudry right hand rings that are engraved and have diamonds and milgrain.

10. dreamer_dachsie
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by dreamer_dachsie » Sep 13, 2012
    I think you should get a simper solitaire BUT have it hand crafter perhaps, or add engraving and filigree in some way to make it more antique. Victor does lovely engraving, but stylistically his work does not look antiquey to me at all. Single stone do not hand forge their rings as far as I know, but their work is much much more in keeping with antique estetics. Nothing beats the real thing, though, when it comes to antique mounts :Up_to_something:

11. Skippy123
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Skippy123 » Sep 13, 2012
    DS, sorry I meant to comment on the profile pic; Ari posted here that it was only a temporary thing (due to designs being copied) :(( , so that is good news! https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vendor-policy-at-singlestone-yay-or-nay.179670/page-2

12. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

Cookie...I also talked to Paul! You might want to edit out all that info above since he may not have informed many others related to the business yet!

Skippy...that is good news! I'll go check that thread.

Dreamer...I think Victor can make anything, but he probably just hasn't been asked to make a ring like that. I think his engraving is right up there with the very best. His work is so perfect. But, he may not be interested in that style work at all. I am sure he'll tell me if not. I'm just not sure who I'd get to do it otherwise. And those fleur-de-lis would have to be perfect or it would drive me nuts! I'd definitely love an original setting with an OEC! But I think with a new stone, I'll just go with a new antique style setting. If you have other picture ideas, let me know!

13. cookies
    Brilliant_Rock

by cookies » Sep 13, 2012
    DS, it's too late for me to edit my previous posts, but I've reported concern to the Admin, asking for my previous posts to be removed.

I told Paul I would post again to clarify things up. He didn't object to it, so I thought it would be fine. Now I think of it, I probably shouldn't talk about other people's business plan in public. Anyway, I hope the Admin could delete my posts soon.

14. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

I think that is a good idea, Cookie! That way he can make announcements when he is ready!

15. mrssalvo
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by mrssalvo » Sep 14, 2012
    I glad to see that VC will still be making rings...I truly love their pieces and someday hope to own one.

16. bunnycat
    Ideal_Rock

by bunnycat » Sep 14, 2012
    Yes! Just enough extra to not be a plain solitaire (which I think is more suited to modern cuts), but still simple! And double claw prongs. I think that helps increase the slight "antique" feel. And maybe set a little higher....??? Like maybe on a little donut or something?

17. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by diamondseeker2006 » Sep 14, 2012
    Yes, exactly! I would want it higher and with double claw prongs! Very good!

18. Christina...
    Ideal_Rock

by Christina... » Sep 15, 2012

This is gorgeous and it looks very 'you'. I was all for the VanC but this is gorgeous, classic, with a splash of character and interest. So, I change my vote to a design similar to ksmoms. Would you still be using platinum or would you consider rg?

19. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by diamondseeker2006 » Sep 15, 2012
    Christina, I think rose gold looks fabulous with ksmom's skin tone, but I would be afraid to do rose gold for my main wedding set. I'd LOVE to do a right hand ring in rg, though!!!

I will either do something similar to hers or else just do the Van C with a plain milgrain edge wedding band. It just all depends on how the diamond options turn out.

20. Christina...
    Ideal_Rock

21. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by diamondseeker2006 » Sep 15, 2012
    Yes, that is a really pretty band, Christina! Tiffany really has great bands!

22. TravelingGal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by TravelingGal » Sep 15, 2012
    Hm, I never asked them, but I thought that SS did hand forge?

Also, I like the SS ring better here than the JBEG one, although having seen the JBEG one in person (Burk's), it's definitely a lovely setting.

23. dreamer_dachsie
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by dreamer_dachsie » Sep 15, 2012
    I cannot recall where I read or heard that SS rings are usually cast, so its something interested parties will have to take up themselves with the designer! I seem to recall reading they have different benches they use for different styles so maybe some are hand forged soem not :read: Anyways, I love SS work its the prices that make me :errrr:

24. TravelingGal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by TravelingGal » Sep 15, 2012
    Ah, got it. They're probably like 23rd street. Have different benches for different things.

I'm learning the difference between handmade, handforged, etc. I'm starting to wonder if my Leon ring is handforged or not, lol.

25. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by diamondseeker2006 » Sep 16, 2012
    Both the JBEG and SS rings are set too low to me. I'd use those ideas for a design but wouldn't have either of those made as is. But I am still looking at setting designs!