shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for an AVR...poll

Which setting would you choose for an AVR?

• The classic Vatche Tiffany so multiple wedding bands would work, including the Victor Canera french

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • The Van Craeynest setting because it is perfect with an old style cut stone.

Votes: 49 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1347072701|3264122 said:
DS you have changed your ring a couple times in the last year -- the diamond and the mount. But its not scratching the itch, its not capturing you in a way that makes you never want to change! I am thinking you need to try something new in your setting.

You have had something classic for six years, right (going by your user name :rodent: )? I think you need the mount to be AS amazing and special as the stone. Yes, your vatche is a really lovely simple platinum solitaire. But settings like that in my humble opinion are there just to hold and showcase the diamond. Nothing wrong with that! If it makes you all verklempt 8) But in my opinion they don't add much by themselves in terms of style or visual appeal. Sure they are versatile, but IMO at the expense of being unique and special in-and-of-themselves. Like you I have had a couple different rings in the last few years ;)) And I always had simple solitaires because I wanted versatility (and I was cheap, but that doesn't apply to you). When I had simply solitaires my ring was nice. And I had a lovely 1.67ct RB that certainly deserved to be the center of the show! But my ring did not capture my heart. As you know, I was always thinking about how to change it and how to reset it.

I have always thought it was wacky to spend much on a mount. But I have completely changed my tune. I am now totally of the opinion that spending good money for a really special, artisan crafted ring is worth it. I get just as much pleasure out of my setting as i do my diamond. Dare I say, my setting bring me more pleasure :oops: When I wear my ring and use my hands to type of hold things, most of the time I am seeing my ring from an angle that shows the side and basket. To have a setting where *that* view is so special just really makes me happy and increases my enjoyment in my ring a million fold. I also get a tremendous amount of pleasure out of knowing how the ring was crafted and thinking about the person who made it.

My point: Get the VC. If not that exact setting, then another one like it with details and special elements that will make you just melt and swoon when you look at the ring on your hand.

And get a bigger diamond :devil:

I was hoping you'd see this, Dreamer, since our journeys have had some similarities! I think part of the fear of changing to the VanC is that I had a plain solitaire from the time I was originally engaged. I do adore your new setting and agree that it would not be the same in a plain solitaire. It just wouldn't. So this does help me to think of it that way. I love your setting and know that I could expand my options to several Singlestone rings, but I think I might really get even more confused!

And that is another idea to get a wedding band that goes with the VanC but not the matching one. They have many bands, so it would be a matter of maybe having them take pictures of my finished e-ring with different bands to see if there was one I really loved. The one thing I love about the VanC setting is that they are still making them (at the moment) the way they were made 100 years ago..with the same dies. So I would be getting the same ring a lady would have gotten 100 years ago, basically! I think that works well since I am getting a newly cut old style stone.

It is so funny how we wanted to downsize and now are getting larger stones than before! :lol: I would have never thought I would do it, but I love the AVR enough to do it! I am hoping for 1.8 cts., 7.8mm.

Thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1347073615|3264126 said:
So... you know I have a questionaire.

1. What is your budget?
2. How old are you guys?
3. What do she do for a living/working toward doing for a living.
4. How does she dress? Does she dress up a lot, or is she a jeans and T-shirts girl? Grundge? Tailored Ann Taylor tastes?
5. Does she prefer white metals or yellow/pinks ones?
6. How is her house decorated? Does she love antique store trolling? Does she love everything Pottery Barn? Is she ultra modern with lots of metal and leather?
7. Is she clumsy? Is she very put together?
8. Does she love handbags and have a stable of them to choose from? Are they mostly practical (neutral colors: brown, black, beige) or are there a lot of colors in there? Blue, purple, red?
9. What metro area are you in or near? Or are you in the country? Tell me where you live and what it's like there (if it's not obvious, like NYC).
10. Do you guys have pets? Want them? What kind?
11. Is she a brand name girl? Does she love things with brand names? If so why? Is it the dependability of brand name quality that appeals to her or is it the bragging rights? Or is she more understated and while she appreciates quality brand names don't do it for her?
12. Okay now, describe her to us in your own words? I've never met her, bring her to life me. What qualities does she have that you love? What is her sense of humor like? Just... tell us about her.
13. Has she expressed an interest in any particular style of ring (halo, Legacy, solitaire, three stone) or shape of stone (round, marquise, pear, princess, emerald, radiant.)?
14. What is her existing jewelry like? A lot of variety, or are there a few select pieces of similar design? What does she wear regularly?

Those are the kinds of things that, throughout the years, I've picked up about you. I know your ballpark age. I've seen your house, I know what you do, I remember your daughters wedding and all the details, I know the general area you live in. I know you like brand names because of the quality inherent in them, and that you research them carefully. I know you have fancy RHRs that you probably do not wear daily, but that you love the option of being able to 'dress up' with jewelry- including your watches. I know you are smart, funny but also conservative, tailored and careful in your design choices and are not a risk taker. I know you like to take care of people and appreciate them being polite and helpful-- and that it manners matter to you (goodness know you probably want to smack me at times!). Gracious gentility is something you appreciate. I would guess that your handbag tastes run to neutrals, but that you have a decent selection of them and that you enjoy nice leather and quality. I think you are tempted by spontaneity and change, but ultimately tend to appreciate stability and comfort and having things carefully thought through.

Those things TO ME, say-- Vatche. I can explain why further if you want. But I've already probably explained enough.

Wow, very good, Gypsy! And thank you for the many nice comments! I certainly haven't ever wanted to smack you, though! :lol: I like honest, straightforward people and try to be that way myself! Love the handbag thoughts...yes, I like quality but do not buy the big names with big price tags, and I use black leather most of the year except usually change in the summer.

The most interesting thing about this is that you and Dreamer, for example, know me pretty well, yet for different reasons you are each making a different choice! I think you are thinking more about my personal style and lifestyle, whereas Dreamer is thinking more about the best package for the diamond. And of course, both of them are my style or I wouldn't be having this problem!

Thank you so much for your very good analysis!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is logic to Gypsy's list, but sometimes you can't really go with logic for jewelery :rodent: My personal case and point is Demelza who is a SAHM with a very casual personal style in an area where I don't see a lot of diamonds, and she rocks a 2.5ct solitaire every day! Sure, the mount is "classic" but the diamond itself is just SO unusual to see! She does not give a hootenanny. The heart wants what it wants.

Besides, I think that VC is very classic and classy and fits DS very well. I have always been drawn the VC styles that are much more out there stylistically. I consider the mount DS chose to be quite classic! Besides, I kind of think bling is just a whole different entity than other clothing. It is for me, at least, because I have imbued my bling with so much meaning -- it symbolizes something very specific to me and is a source of pleasure and affirmation for me. Nothing else I wear or own carries that emotion and sentiment.

DS: As I said, the heart wants what it wants! I am glad I sold my 1.67ct RB, it was a good decision for us financially and I don't regret it. Frankly, the money invested in it was really my main "issue", not so much the size in and of itself, and I knew it needed a mount to boot, so even more $$. But MAN I regretted no longer having a big diamond. It is just really important to me. I thought 7mm would cut it, but it didn't come close. And when I got this ring it was like heaven it felt so right and good to have my big solitaire bling back! This ring is about 1mm larger in coverage with the bezel (the stone is .33mm bigger)than my former RB, but it cost so much less than the RB I sold, its mind clean for me. I have my cake and eat it too. Anyways, that is not really here or there for you, but I suppose what I am saying is that I do think that if you have a ring that just makes you jump up and down and dance a jig that is mind clean for you (whatever that means -- does it mean an artisan mount??) then you might not care about what other people think anymore :halo:

Food for thought, that's all!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I agree, Dreamer. You might be surprised to hear me say this, but for all that time I was concerned about the 1.6 being too big, I then went to a 7.45mm stone and was very surprised that I could tell that it was smaller! And it felt a little too small after wearing the 7.6mm stone for 5 years. (Yes, I am nuts for any newcomers here! Just stick around and you'll understand!)

I couldn't pull off a blingy, big, double halo, pave setting, but I agree that the VanC setting is not even close to being that ornate. It is a little piece of art, though, and that does interest me. That is good to know that Demelza is similarly casual and enjoys her beautiful diamond ring!

All I know is, I can't waste more money on settings. I have to live with whatever I decide. I would not have made the change to my current ring had I had ANY idea Jon would finally get some new 1.5-2 carat AVR's with specs I liked because his supply of those has been very low for years. However, had I been patient and waited until the 1.6 sold, that would have coincided with the right AVR's being there. So lack of patience was my downfall this time.

I know right now that if I asked my married daughter her opinion, she'd say the VanC. And since I do want every piece I buy at this point to be heirloom worthy, I do take that into consideration,too.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I would choose the Van Craeynest for myself, I agree with those who say the Vatche Tiffany is more "you." Though I only know you from your postings on PS, so take that for what it's worth. I am all about settings, but I think you are more of a "let the diamond shine" person. (And this may be horrible to say, but I think VCs look better with smaller diamonds!)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the reason why Dreamer and I are getting two different answers is because we are answering different questions (Dreamer, correct me if I am wrong! Please... I don't intend this to mean that I am putting words in your mouth. This is just my perspective. Which could be flawed, of course).

My impression of Dreamer and Demzela is that they are both more open to risk than you are. Different strokes.

I'm not answering the question by saying what *I* would do in your place. Which is the question I think Dreamer is answering. My opinion is that what *I* would do is irrelevant because I'm not you. Or alternately, the question could be: what suits the cut of the stone best? Because for me, if it suits the stone but doesn't suit the owner... it's not the right choice.

The question I am answering is: what do I think YOU, given what I know of you, will be most happy with long term given your personality and preferences and history.

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Hi DS
My vote is for the VC ring, I think it will look great with the old cut style diamond and to my eyes it's just more interesting and unique looking, if your going to have a change why not go for something a little different this time.
(I would have someone set it that can finish the prong tips into slightly more duplicate looking claws also)

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I'll just take your own words DS and play them back to you:

Vatche Tiffany - simple and elegant

VC - perfect with an AVR, an heirloom piece

I sense the VC requires more of a leap of faith for you. You already know the Vatche works for you and why. I find the more elaborate VC setting understates as well as enhances the centre diamond. It literally gives it a setting to work with. I think my preference for this softer looking diamond is the timeless look of the VC heirloom piece.

Having said this I'm going to love whatever you do, the side view of your Vatche ring and band creates one of those unbeatable looks.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My tastes run to simple solitaires, but I've always wanted a VC. Gorgeous, gorgeous heirloom beauties.

So I voted VC, and while I'm living though you right now, hopefully the right project will come along for my own VC beauty.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just noticed the model you liked. If cost is one of the deciding factors, it might be worth reaching out to Angeline: I believe she was trying to sell one, but I don't think it has, as of yet! I was interested enough to ask VanC if it could be modified for a stone of a different size (it can), but I wound up falling in love with the setting that came with my stone along the way.

PS - I'm on the fancy setting train all the way! What I meant was, maybe a precision cut colored stone for the Vatche?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Well, DS, as you know, we have similar taste in that we have both always loved the classic 6-prong Tiffany's setting. I loved my Excel mounting and I love your Vatche. That said, I love that mounting for a modern RB, not an OEC or AVR as I think an old stone would look a bit out of place in that mounting. My vote would absolutely be for the VC or a more antique adaptation of the classic 6-prong like the one in the picture I'm attaching. As Dreamer said, my style is indeed very casual and I literally wear no jewelry other than my wedding set -- no earrings, no necklaces, no watch or bracelet. I wear jeans most days and own no fancy handbags. But I love my big diamond and think you should put your diamond in whatever mounting makes your heart sing regardless of what other people might think. Moreover, I don't think there is anything over the top or fussy about that VC mounting. Just my 2 c. I look forward to seeing what you decide!!!!

r305-05i.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know if I am saying what I would do in DS's place, or trying to imagine being her and thinking what would make her happy. Maybe its a mix. I would not personally choose either style for her new AVR because my taste is different! But all I can say is thinking about her question and as her friend, my instinct is to try to encourage her to take a chance and try something new that she has been thinking about for a long time. There is the possibility that choosing the VC could make her ecstatically happy, and the risk is minimal. I have seen her post about that VC ring for years, so while it is out of her comfort zone, I honestly do NOT think its a huge leap outside. The risk is minimal in style or in potential "loss" since the style would look amazing with a colored gem. I also am a little jealous thinking about her possibly owning a VC piece made in the old way. Its something I think DS would treasure a lifetime, even if it was not her e-ring. So choosing the VC seems a win-win in that she will have taken a chance, a small one, but the downsides are relatively small. People tend to regret NOT taking chances in life, rather than regretting trying something new that did not work out. In this case I can imagine DS looking back in five years sad that she did not get a die struck hand made VC when she had the chance :blackeye:

The vatche is safe, but I think there might be less possibility for ecstatic bliss with safe.

But really, DS, don't let me persuade you. Percolate on it and see what feels right. I think down deep you know what you want to do. I know I usually do. But there are sometimes just doubts about doing what I *want*. Try to identitfy those doubts and worries and see if you can quell them somehow. Then follow your gut.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't go with either of those setting for an AVR if I were you. I think the Vatche is too plain and modern-looking for the AVR. But based on the photos of the VC, it looks like it might distract from the gorgeous AVR. I would go for an antique solitaire (or a replica of one), like the JBEG Sophie or something like Haven's or Dreamer's rings. That way you'll have an older style setting with some special elements but you'll still be able to stack bands with it.

CDCsparkles

Shiny_Rock
I went with the VC-I think it would make it a wonderful heirloom piece and go well with the diamond. As well as be a nice change.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mike R|1347091379|3264172 said:
Hi DS
My vote is for the VC ring, I think it will look great with the old cut style diamond and to my eyes it's just more interesting and unique looking, if your going to have a change why not go for something a little different this time.
(I would have someone set it that can finish the prong tips into slightly more duplicate looking claws also)

Hi, Mike! How very nice of you to take the time to comment! Since I consider you one of the world's best ring designers and makers, I greatly value your opinion! The VanC is die struck with the original 100 year old dies and then all hand carved. I do think that is rare these days just as hand forged rings like you make are. I will definitely ask for claw prongs, but I am not sure what you mean by "duplicate looking". I have seen good and no so good prongs on VanC pieces, but I think the person I would be going through to get the ring would be receptive to improving the prongs.

Thank you again...you vote counts double! :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1347110314|3264233 said:
I just noticed the model you liked. If cost is one of the deciding factors, it might be worth reaching out to Angeline: I believe she was trying to sell one, but I don't think it has, as of yet! I was interested enough to ask VanC if it could be modified for a stone of a different size (it can), but I wound up falling in love with the setting that came with my stone along the way.

PS - I'm on the fancy setting train all the way! What I meant was, maybe a precision cut colored stone for the Vatche?

The cost on VanC rings right now is better than it was for a period of time when prices were extremely high. I do know the ring you are speaking of, but her center stone was over 2 cts. and I would rather have a ring made the right size for my stone since I don't think it is going to cost that much more. Good idea, though!

I don't think I'd like a colored stone as a solitaire, but I could just keep my current Vatche ring for awhile to see if I really want to still wear it if I got the VanC.

Yes, you are fortunate to have gotten a ring with a great setting just like Dreamer! That is sooo much easier!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1347120088|3264298 said:
I don't know if I am saying what I would do in DS's place, or trying to imagine being her and thinking what would make her happy. Maybe its a mix. I would not personally choose either style for her new AVR because my taste is different! But all I can say is thinking about her question and as her friend, my instinct is to try to encourage her to take a chance and try something new that she has been thinking about for a long time. There is the possibility that choosing the VC could make her ecstatically happy, and the risk is minimal. I have seen her post about that VC ring for years, so while it is out of her comfort zone, I honestly do NOT think its a huge leap outside. The risk is minimal in style or in potential "loss" since the style would look amazing with a colored gem. I also am a little jealous thinking about her possibly owning a VC piece made in the old way. Its something I think DS would treasure a lifetime, even if it was not her e-ring. So choosing the VC seems a win-win in that she will have taken a chance, a small one, but the downsides are relatively small. People tend to regret NOT taking chances in life, rather than regretting trying something new that did not work out. In this case I can imagine DS looking back in five years sad that she did not get a die struck hand made VC when she had the chance :blackeye:

The vatche is safe, but I think there might be less possibility for ecstatic bliss with safe.

But really, DS, don't let me persuade you. Percolate on it and see what feels right. I think down deep you know what you want to do. I know I usually do. But there are sometimes just doubts about doing what I *want*. Try to identitfy those doubts and worries and see if you can quell them somehow. Then follow your gut.

Dreamer, you and Gypsy are both good analyzers, that is for sure! I can see your psychology training coming in to this and I sincerely appreciate your input!

You are very correct that I have wanted and still want a VanC ring. I would not regret that. As you said, the ring would be fine with a colored stone if for any reason I found a setting I liked more for the diamond. In fact, I am pretty set on getting that setting and putting something in it now while they are still making them the old way and prices are manageable. So it wouldn't be taking a chance in the aspect of not loving the setting, because I know it would be perfect with the stone. I think the risk is more that I would miss a plain solitaire and the flexibility it offers if I went that route. But I don't have unlimited money, so it isn't realistic to think I should buy 3 or 4 $3000-5000 eternity rings, either. I just need to settle on the best one to wear with whatever ring I choose...one more w-band in addition to the Legacy band.

Regarding other settings...if I found a diamond with a setting like yours, I would 100% keep that setting! I love it! But considering that I hope to maybe someday give this ring to my granddaughter to use as an engagement ring, I think a more simple style might be safer. Do not hear me say that that is my primary concern because it is not! I am buying it for ME! The fact is, there are many settings that I think an AVR or OEC would be gorgeous in. If you have strong suggestions, I'd be willing to look. But the VanC has been on my list for a long time, so that was why I put it at the top of the list. And I have just recently bought two platinum and diamond antique style Beaudry settings for colored stones, so I don't want the diamond setting to be too ornate.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrssalvo|1347051349|3263914 said:
I voted for the VC, only because I think it would just look so gorgeous with the AVC. My original e-ring was an OEC that I reset into a solitaire and although lovely, I just love the added charm of an old world setting and the VC being die struck heirlooms would be such a plus for me. Of course the vatche is very classic so I don't think you can make a wrong choice. However, you loved the VC from the very beginning, you've had several different solitaires and the VC still always come back into the running. Good point about the beaudry's but they are still different than what would be your main wedding set. Maybe just keep the 1.58 and have the best of both worlds :halo:
+1

As simple & classic as the solitaire is -- I just don't think it flatters the old cutting style. Old cut (or like) stones need softness. Nothing could be softer & more lovely that the VC. Let me be the first to declare: STACKS ARE WACK.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demelza|1347117243|3264281 said:
Well, DS, as you know, we have similar taste in that we have both always loved the classic 6-prong Tiffany's setting. I loved my Excel mounting and I love your Vatche. That said, I love that mounting for a modern RB, not an OEC or AVR as I think an old stone would look a bit out of place in that mounting. My vote would absolutely be for the VC or a more antique adaptation of the classic 6-prong like the one in the picture I'm attaching. As Dreamer said, my style is indeed very casual and I literally wear no jewelry other than my wedding set -- no earrings, no necklaces, no watch or bracelet. I wear jeans most days and own no fancy handbags. But I love my big diamond and think you should put your diamond in whatever mounting makes your heart sing regardless of what other people might think. Moreover, I don't think there is anything over the top or fussy about that VC mounting. Just my 2 c. I look forward to seeing what you decide!!!!

Hi, Dem! Yes, you are right about our similar setting taste! I really agree that if I am going to get an AVR, it needs to be "dressed" appropriately to do justice to the stone. I am very casual, too, and agree that since we are the ones looking at the ring all the time, it should please us! I love the new setting you found for your diamond, and think it is similar to the look I am going for with the VanC. They aren't plain like a Tiffany setting, but they aren't overly dressy/blingy, either. It has been a big help to me to follow your journey! Thanks for your comments!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1347125514|3264325 said:
I voted for the VC, only because I think it would just look so gorgeous with the AVC. My original e-ring was an OEC that I reset into a solitaire and although lovely, I just love the added charm of an old world setting and the VC being die struck heirlooms would be such a plus for me. Of course the vatche is very classic so I don't think you can make a wrong choice. However, you loved the VC from the very beginning, you've had several different solitaires and the VC still always come back into the running. Good point about the beaudry's but they are still different than what would be your main wedding set. Maybe just keep the 1.58 and have the best of both worlds :halo:
+1

As simple & classic as the solitaire is -- I just don't think it flatters the old cutting style. Old cut (or like) stones need softness. Nothing could be softer & more lovely that the VC. Let me be the first to declare: STACKS ARE WACK.

You're another, deco, who has an old style stone in an antique style setting. I absolutely think the total package matters. Your diamond as a plain solitaire would be beautiful, but it certainly wouldn't be as beautiful as your actual ring is.

This helps, so thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your replies distracts, polished, FlyGirl, stargurl, and CDCsparkles! I read and appreciated all your responses! Looks like all of you lean toward the VC or either a different antique style setting for an AVR. I think that is very valid and I certainly want to do justice to the diamond!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347125917|3264328 said:
+1

You're another, deco, who has an old style stone in an antique style setting. I absolutely think the total package matters. Your diamond as a plain solitaire would be beautiful, but it certainly wouldn't be as beautiful as your actual ring is.

You're welcome DS! I wanted to pipe back in about the "casual dressing" stich. I am a crazily casual dresser. Solid colors, natural fibers - lots of yoga pants/chambray shirt ... jeans shorts/white t ... black hoodie/cargo pants type of action And I wear a chunky matte finish mens watch most of the time w/ hardly any other jewelry. But I never think of my antique-ish wedding set as "fussy" or dressy or anything. To me it's as classic as a solitaire. It's just part of me. Like a signature piece. Where I wouldn't think of RHR's the same way. Those DO feel "dressy" or "fussy" to me sometimes depending on outfit. I wonder if you'd feel the same way after getting used to an antique style main wedding set for awhile? Especially with a kind of tank style piece like I have & like the VC you're attracted to (where it tapers away from the stone - rather than a delicate big rock on tiny thin pave band type of antique).

Good luck deciding! Can't wait to see the final product no matter which way you decide! (Even a stack, god forbid. LOL!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1347127315|3264338 said:
diamondseeker2006|1347125917|3264328 said:
+1

You're welcome DS! I wanted to pipe back in about the "casual dressing" stich. I am a crazily casual dresser. Solid colors, natural fibers - lots of yoga pants/chambray shirt ... jeans shorts/white t ... black hoodie/cargo pants type of action And I wear a chunky matte finish mens watch most of the time w/ hardly any other jewelry. But I never think of my antique-ish wedding set as "fussy" or dressy or anything. To me it's as classic as a solitaire. It's just part of me. Like a signature piece. Where I wouldn't think of RHR's the same way. Those DO feel "dressy" or "fussy" to me sometimes depending on outfit. I wonder if you'd feel the same way after getting used to an antique style main wedding set for awhile? Especially with a kind of tank style piece like I have & like the VC you're attracted to (where it tapers away from the stone - rather than a delicate big rock on tiny thin pave band type of antique).

Good luck deciding! Can't wait to see the final product no matter which way you decide! (Even a stack, god forbid. LOL!)

Lol! I wasn't going to stack them anyway! I was going to wear one at a time for variety! :lol:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
FWIW, I'm guessing that the VC band would pair with your Tiffany band pretty well ... and could work with a variety of antiqueish stackers but probably not that one french cut band. Just based on my experiences with my own (somewhat similarly shaped) antique style setting. I don't think I'd go out of my way to purchase the matching VC band. THAT, I think, could take the whole look a bit TOO "old fashioned". (Though I think it's a pretty band. My sister wears my grandmother's true antique wedding band that looks almost exactly like that but in yellow gold - with the diamonds set in white, as a RHR every day since she passed.)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1347128303|3264345 said:
FWIW, I'm guessing that the VC band would pair with your Tiffany band pretty well ... and could work with a variety of antiqueish stackers but probably not that one french cut band. Just based on my experiences with my own (somewhat similarly shaped) antique style setting. I don't think I'd go out of my way to purchase the matching VC band. THAT, I think, could take the whole look a bit TOO "old fashioned". (Though I think it's a pretty band. My sister wears my grandmother's true antique wedding band that looks almost exactly like that but in yellow gold - with the diamonds set in white, as a RHR every day since she passed.)

I am hoping the Legacy band would work with it. That would be the best case scenario for sure. If I went with the VC ring, I might ask if they'd let me try a couple of sample bands with it if the Legacy band didn't work. Or at least they might could take pictures of other bands with it before they sent it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is also for the VC. I think it will be amazing with your AVR and be the perfect fit! Plus, it makes your heart sing and that is what it is all about. :love:

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for Van Craeynest because I think an old cut will look great in 484. 484 actually would be my first choice if I got another e-ring. Btw, I just received my VC band (558), which has 3 AVC diamonds in it. I haven't been able to get a good photo of the band, but I swear, the old cuts look very beautiful in it!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1347072701|3264122 said:
I have always thought it was wacky to spend much on a mount. But I have completely changed my tune. I am now totally of the opinion that spending good money for a really special, artisan crafted ring is worth it. I get just as much pleasure out of my setting as i do my diamond. Dare I say, my setting bring me more pleasure :oops: When I wear my ring and use my hands to type of hold things, most of the time I am seeing my ring from an angle that shows the side and basket. To have a setting where *that* view is so special just really makes me happy and increases my enjoyment in my ring a million fold. I also get a tremendous amount of pleasure out of knowing how the ring was crafted and thinking about the person who made it.

My point: Get the VC. If not that exact setting, then another one like it with details and special elements that will make you just melt and swoon when you look at the ring on your hand.

And get a bigger diamond :devil:

I totally agree with Dreamer....having worn my Singlestone ring for almost a year now, I get as much pleasure out of the setting as I do the stone. The right setting (and by that I mean one that not only holds the stone, but enhances it) will take a stone from merely gorgeous to something that takes your breath away. I was a tiny bit worried that I might grow tired of having such an intricate setting, but I haven't...not one bit. I am every bit as thrilled today as I was the day I received it.

That said, I'd go with the VC. You've been wanting one as long as I've been around these parts!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah... the vote is now 26 to 26!!! Interesting!

missy...thank you! I am glad you like that combination!

Cookie!!!! You have a new band with AVC's and haven't posted a picture??? You need to hurry and do that! I can't think what style 558 is!!! :errrr: Please post one asap!!! I can't wait to see it! I really want to do something with AVC's, too! I could have guessed which ring you'd choose for my potential stone! ;))

Yenny...oh, yes, you are another great example of a gorgeous old stone with an incredible setting...one of the most beautiful ever! :love: You girls are really convincing for good reason!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cookie...I am braindead...I remember the 558! Hopefully you can post a picture over on the VC thread!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results