color
clarity

Royal Jewels

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover|1300754445|2876952 said:
prince.of.preslav|1300657677|2875981 said:
As the court in Monaco is now in mourning for Princess Antoinette, it was decided that the Princess of Hanover's children would represent the family at this year's Rose Ball.
Charlotte Casiraghi wore a Cameo brooch that depicts Princess Grace from her mother's collection and pearl earrings with red pendants.

Pierre Casiraghi's girlfriend Beatrice Borromeo was also present. She wore a Cartier-like necklace - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/110480259/Getty-Images-Entertainment

Bobby

OMG, she's the spitting image of her mother. I thought that was a 30 year old photo of her mom. WOW!

I thought the EXACT same thing!!!

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Dame Elizabeth Taylor 27 February 1932 - 23 March 2011

liz_taylor.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alexander1917|1300894106|2878204 said:
Dame Elizabeth Taylor 27 February 1932 - 23 March 2011

True Hollywood Royalty, and a great lady. She will be missed. RIP.

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Elizabeth Taylor was a tremendous actress, a real screen legend and a wonderful character in real life. She leaves us a great legacy of her work which will be enjoyed by many generations. Tis a shame she suffered so much late in life.
So here I want to say that she owned some important royal pieces which will go to auction. There is of course the fabulous Prince of Wales feather brooch. A magnificent piece which puts the others in the shade. Prince Charles bid fiercely for it at auction but missed out to Elizabeth Taylor who was on the phone.
This was the famous auction of the Duchess of Windsor 2 nd April 1987. The Duke of Windsor had it made for Wallis. And Prince Charles wanted it for Diana. Elizabeth Taylor said about the bidding; "It was a wild experience - very heady and intoxicating and dangerous." she says, remembering the $910,000 she spent. [including other pieces as well.] When the the auction began in Geneva, Taylor was linked to the auction by phone. "My kids were here and we were out by the pool,"she recalls. Ït was afternoon here, and when I won the bidding, I went around the pool just yelling, Yes! Yes!. It was a thrill.
She also said, "When I first saw it, I was with Richard. The Duke and Richard were both Welsh and we were all friends. When I admired this brooch [the Duchess] very sweetly said,'Well, I'll loan it to you so you can have it copied.' And I said, ' Oh I couldn't do that.' it was a sign of royalty."
After the Duchess died her jewels went to auction. "I wanted it because of our friendship. It seemed almost predestined that I have this particular piece. It's as if I became its custodian." [source Who magazine 1994]
So wouldn't it be great if someone in the Windsor royal family were to buy it back.

Elizabeth Taylor also owned the fabulous La Peregrina pearl which belonged to Princess Zinaide Yussopov also with a fabulous history. I expect this will go for $1 million dollars because of its provenance. Richard Burton bought it at auction for $54,000 and had it set as a pendant in a pearl necklace.
There is also the emerald necklace some say may have belonged to the Grand Duchess Vladimir. But I am not sure about the provenance of this.
Tried to upload a picture but didn't work for me. Perhaps someone has a good photo of the Feathers brooch.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
here the Taylor emeralds

I think the story is right - also mentioned in her "love affaire with jewels". and the cut of stone is similar or a recutting of the Barbara Hutton emeralds.

She own many historic pieces - also the old cut diamond from India (forgot the name of it), the Krupp mentioned earlier here and many many more

2540410630031751182lalgna_ph.jpg

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
I love Elizabeth Taylor
She was beautiful her grace was amazing. Elizabeth was a real lady, she will be missed so much.

Rest in peace

Blessings to her family

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I was quite saddened to hear that the Queen of Jewels has passed away... But she wasn't well for some time and it was more or less expected to happen sooner than later. At first when I heard the news I understood it was an actress, aged more than 70. At first the only one I could think was Sophia Loren (the last one of the grat beauties of 20c. (IMO) left), but only much later I understood it was Dame Elizabeth... A great loss for many people!
I guess this means that in an year or so there might be a jewellery auction. And just what jewels! A priceless collection by all means... I'd love to see the future Princess William with the PoW feather brooch (if it's to be sold, of course) :)

My she rest in peace (and have fun with some friends and husbands)!
Bobby

Attachments

• brooch.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,044

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A few more of this dazzling lady with some of her jewels. By the way, we should mention that Dame Elizabeth had met quite a lot of royals and with some of them was on more than speaking terms (the late Princess of Monaco & Princess Margaret come to mimd).

Bobby

52256251.jpg

3468691.jpg

667660.jpg

63153736.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alexander1917|1300918883|2878504 said:
here the Taylor emeralds

I think the story is right - also mentioned in her "love affaire with jewels". and the cut of stone is similar or a recutting of the Barbara Hutton emeralds.

She own many historic pieces - also the old cut diamond from India (forgot the name of it), the Krupp mentioned earlier here and many many more

I have Fred Ward's book on emeralds, and this emerald set is shown in there. It is one of my favorite pieces of her collection. She was apparently a friend of Fred Ward, and she posed with him in this necklace for some shots in this book. I believe it came from a large jewelry house like Harry Winston. In any case, the ring was put up for auction to benefit AIDS a while ago. It only went for a measley sum of $80K. While $80K is not a small amount of money, it was for the caliber of emerald and diamonds in that ring (Fine Columbian emerald with probably faint to no enhancement) and the provenance of ownership by the great Elizabeth Taylor should also give it more value too. I just kept thinking, "what a lucky auction buy!!"

The emerald pendant is removable and doubles as a broach. This piece, to me, is by far, the most amazing privately owned set of emeralds in the world.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Liz's emerald brooch, necklace, and earrings

880_original.jpg

taylor brooch.jpg

Elizabeth_Taylor_emerald_necklace_xlarge.jpg

ET_bulagri_emerald_diamond.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
and the ring

in "My love affaire with Jewels" Richard Burton said, Liz only knew one word in italian : Bulgari (maker of the emerald set)

biz.jpg

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Slight threadjack here......would somebody please tell me where the emphasis is when pronouncing Bulgari? I've heard it about five different ways.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Put the accent on the first syllable, so BùlgɅri.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Just picked up the US Magazine special on the Royal Wedding. Now, we all know that sometimes morons write these articles, but every know and then you stumble across an interesting tidbit. Here are the top 5 tiaras for Catherine, according to US Magazine. with my personal comments in blue.

5. The Russian Kokoshink: On this piece: 488 diamonds and 61 platinum bars. Not out of the realm of possibility, but I think this piece is too heavy for Catherine.

4. The Duchess of Teck: This neoclassical heirloom is a family favorite. I'm not sure I'd call it a family favorite since it hasn't been worn in half a century. This is borderline "moron" remark. But, I can see the possibility of this being the tiara for Catherine.

3. Queen Victoria's Diamond and Sapphire Tiara: The stones echo Middleton's engagement ring. This falls under "moron" remark. It's not with the royal family anymore. This tiara is with the Countess of Harewood.

2. Queen Mary's Diamond Loop Tiara: This bauble is encrusted with 675 diamonds. How about it WAS encrusted...it was dismantled, right? Morons...

1. Strathmore Rose: This diadem was last worn by the late queen moter. The $10.5 million Strathmore Rose Tiara even underwent a restoration for the occasion. Now, this is what I find to be the interesting tidbit. I had read in several places that this tiara was strucurally too delicate to be worn again. This is the first hint I've seen that perhaps it has been restored. I would love to see this be the one!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1301006000|2879471 said:
and the ring

in "My love affaire with Jewels" Richard Burton said, Liz only knew one word in italian : Bulgari (maker of the emerald set)

I don't think Mr Burton really siad that in the book, but this was reather a quote by him used in his ex-wife's book. Mr Burton died in 1984 and the book wasn't published untill 18 years since then, in 2002. That's a funny anecdote, thongh. Thanks for sharing it, Alexander!

Anyway, these emeralds are gorgeous, aren't they?
Bobby

51671844.jpg

Feeshalori

Rough_Rock
I'm in agreement with you, LadyMaria, about preferring the Strathmore Rose tiara to be worn by Catherine. I've always liked the delicacy of this piece for a young woman and the provenance is impeccable. As well, the roses can be converted into brooches so it's versatile. Catherine can wear it as a tiara instead of a bandeau as the Queen Mother did. The only detraction, if one might say there is one, is that the diamonds have rose-cut facets which was the style of the time and therefore don't have as much fire and glitter as the modern cut diamond. And there's a price of $10.5 U.S. million on it? Wow - I'm sure its history as well as the diamonds play a major part in its value. Some may say it's too delicate for Catherine's height, but if she wears her hair in an upsweep, that tiara will truly look outstanding as long as it's not swamped by her veil. I had also read that this tiara had deteriorated over the years and needed major restoration; hopefully the article is correct that it was done. This tiara deserves to be restored and see the light of day after decades tucked away in the royal jewel vaults.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1301156179|2880718 said:
Just picked up the US Magazine special on the Royal Wedding. Now, we all know that sometimes morons write these articles, but every know and then you stumble across an interesting tidbit. Here are the top 5 tiaras for Catherine, according to US Magazine. with my personal comments in blue.

Each and every time I see something like this published, I think that I can think of at least a dozen of posters on various boards that can make a better list! Such a shame that the general reader will have the impression that a rather small tiara in HM's collection would cosot USD 10.5 mln... And how on earth they find out that the tiara has underwent a restoration???
Out of the fife tiaras listed onlt the Teck Crescent (& Rose) and the Strathmore Rose (my personal favourite) are possible choices for Catherine.

PS: Maria, you're one of the very few people that I see use Miss Middleton's fill name, insted of the shorter form! You just can't imagine how happy I am (even more so because you're an American)!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Sotheby's Geneva is going to auction an impressive diamond and emerald tiara, previously in the Henckel von Donnersmarck collection. The tiara is expected to sell for $ 4.5-9mln.
An aeticle with a photo of the jewel - http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp?int_new=45978&int_sec=2
I only wish the emeralds weren't drilled. It's just so noticable in this case...

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1301180802|2880884 said:
Each and every time I see something like this published, I think that I can think of at least a dozen of posters on various boards that can make a better list. Such a shame that the general reader will have the impression that a rather small tiara in HM's collection would cosot USD 10.5 mln... And how on earth they find out that the tiara has underwent a restoration???

Which is exactly why I prefaced the whole post with the "moron" comment! :naughty:

PS: Maria, you're one of the very few people that I see use Miss Middleton's fill name, insted of the shorter form! You just can't imagine how happy I am (even more so because you're an American)!

Bobby

I love the name Catherine! Her full name, Catherine Elizabeth, is such a classic, elegant name. Okay, I might be a little biased since my daughter's middle name is Elizabeth. And Catherine is a very established royal name so when she becomes Queen someday, Queen Catherine doesn't sound completely off the wall like say, Queen Camilla :angryfire: I just hope that this Queen Catherine has a happier marriage than Catherine of Aragon, Catherine Howard, and Catherine Parr!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1301181732|2880892 said:
Sotheby's Geneva is going to auction an impressive diamond and emerald tiara, previously in the Henckel von Donnersmarck collection. The tiara is expected to sell for $ 4.5-9mln.
An aeticle with a photo of the jewel - http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp?int_new=45978&int_sec=2
I only wish the emeralds weren't drilled. It's just so noticable in this case...

Bobby

Wow, that reminds me of Queen Victoria's emerald tiara! But if there is any drilling in QV's tiara, it is not as noticeable.

queen-victoria-emerald-diamond-tiara-gothic-style-designed-prince-albert.jpg

Feeshalori

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1301180802|2880884 said:
LadyMaria|1301156179|2880718 said:

Each and every time I see something like this published, I think that I can think of at least a dozen of posters on various boards that can make a better list! Such a shame that the general reader will have the impression that a rather small tiara in HM's collection would cosot USD 10.5 mln... And how on earth they find out that the tiara has underwent a restoration???
Out of the fife tiaras listed onlt the Teck Crescent (& Rose) and the Strathmore Rose (my personal favourite) are possible choices for Catherine.

Bobby

Ouch! Somehow I got the feeling that the remark about the general reader thinking the Strathmore tiara costing USD 10.5 million dollars was directed at me. While I know you can't believe everything you read in publication and wedding speculation is running rampant, I did say that hopefully the article was true about the restoration of the tiara. As far as the high cost the magazine placed on the tiara, it most likely is excessive given the deteriorated state of the piece despite its history and provenance.

I suppose this is why I remain mostly a lurker on this board.

Regards,

Patricia

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I didn't mean to be offencive, Patricia! The general reader from my post is everybody who doesn't have a clue about (royal) tiaras and their prices! You obviously follow this forum (and post every now & then) and hence you aren't the general reader from my original post.
I'm sorry that I was misunderstood! You also understand the reason why they wrote that the St. Rose tiara costs so much. You aren't the general reader by no means.
I also hope the tiara has been mended, so that we can see it on 29 April.

Regards,
Bobby

Feeshalori

Rough_Rock
No worries, Bobby. I should have been clearer in my own original post by stating that it seemed $10.5 USD million was excessive for a tiara that needed restoration despite its provenance. Then I probably wouldn't have felt it was directed at me, because it's not too often I post here and I try to be careful when I do. I realize that a lot of members here have much more expertise and knowledge in these matters than I, that's why I enjoy reading more than posting and dip my toe in every so often. But whatever the case, let's hope the Strathmore Rose is restored so that we can view the tiara on Catherine's head in all its refurbished glory! :)

Regards,

Patricia

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1301179963|2880874 said:
alexander1917|1301006000|2879471 said:
and the ring

I don't think Mr Burton really siad that in the book, but this was reather a quote by him used in his ex-wife's book. Mr Burton died in 1984 and the book wasn't published untill 18 years since then, in 2002. That's a funny anecdote, thongh. Thanks for sharing it, Alexander!

Anyway, these emeralds are gorgeous, aren't they?[attachment=0]51671844.jpg[/attachment]
Bobby

Of course he said it not as a „live“ source for the book. But maybe he said it in his lifetime, or it was mentioned in his biography.

Of course, I think this are one of the best, colour, emeralds I ever seen

NSEB1958

Rough_Rock
I normally lurk and LOVE all the posts about the jewels and the pictures. But, I have to put my bit in for Catherine Elizabeth to wear the Strathmore Rose. I think it would look wonderful on her. I do hope it has been restored. It does deserve to. I freely admit that I have asked for a certain day in April off so I could attend a wedding. True on TV but then! Thank You all for your wonderful posts. And now Back to Lurking!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
NSEB1958|1301313668|2881714 said:
I normally lurk and LOVE all the posts about the jewels and the pictures. But, I have to put my bit in for Catherine Elizabeth to wear the Strathmore Rose. I think it would look wonderful on her. I do hope it has been restored. It does deserve to. I freely admit that I have asked for a certain day in April off so I could attend a wedding. True on TV but then! Thank You all for your wonderful posts. And now Back to Lurking!

Feel free to de-lurk whenever you want to!!

I am quite jealous that you managed to get the day off...I had the same plan as you, but I am a teacher and that day is one of our state testing days, which means the only way you can manage to be off is if you are in the hospital! :(

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Wales couple is on an official visit to Portugal, Spain and Morocco. Today TRH arived in Portugal and The Duchess wore a diamond fringe brooch we've not seen in awhile, also the three-row pearl necklace and her traditional pearl/diamond earrings. I do hope to see some glitter on Her Royal Highness at the banquet in their honour.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/110960393/Getty-Images-Entertainment
Bobby

110960393.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today TRH The Prince of Orange and Princess Maxima arrived on a 4 day official visit to Vietnam. The Princess wore her necklace of large pearls (with the damond studed clasp in front), a pair of lovely pearl earrings and ring:http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Mar2011/PPE11032849.jpg http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Mar2011/PPE11032823.jpg

In the evening TRH attended a netwerkdiner at the Medlia hotel at which Maxima wore this necklace, which I really don't like:
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Mar2011/PPE11032877.jpg
Bobby

PPE11032849.jpg

PPE11032823.jpg

PPE11032877.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1301349449|2882092 said:
In the evening TRH attended a netwerkdiner at the Medlia hotel at which Maxima wore this necklace, which I really don't like:
Bobby

You are far more tactful than I could ever hope to be Bobby. I think it looks like a plastic feather boa that's been half plucked. Not Maxima's best by any stretch of the imagination!

I wonder what she did to her finger in the middle picture...paper cut maybe???

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results