shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Aha! I stand corrected dear sir. Perhaps it was a gift to her from her father for another occasion or her mother Maria Feodorovna presented it to her for her wedding trusseau. At any rate it does appear to be Russian. The Topaz's are huge and I think it is great that such an old piece is worn often today. Have never seen photos of the previous Queens wearing it though. I am always happy to be corrected if I have written the wrong thing. cheers.

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
PS; In the case of the Connaught tiara, it is listed as part of the wedding gifts to Louise Margaret when she married Arthur Duke of Connaught the source being The Times 13/14/17 March 1879.
It says; The Queen gave a magnificent diamond tiara, brilliants hanging down in sparkling poaks from a wreath of brilliants of pure water. [I have no idea what poaks are perhaps it is a miss spelling.]

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Dagmar|1300393999|2874184 said:
PS; In the case of the Connaught tiara, it is listed as part of the wedding gifts to Louise Margaret when she married Arthur Duke of Connaught the source being The Times 13/14/17 March 1879.
It says; The Queen gave a magnificent diamond tiara, brilliants hanging down in sparkling poaks from a wreath of brilliants of pure water. [I have no idea what poaks are perhaps it is a miss spelling.]

Yes, I checked what Princess Louise Margaret received for her wedding and the tiara mentiond does sound like what we now know as the Connaught tiara, yet the tiara that is now in Sweden looks more Edwardian than mid-Victorian to me.

It would be nice to hear what other pepole think.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Dagmar|1300393548|2874178 said:
Aha! I stand corrected dear sir. Perhaps it was a gift to her from her father for another occasion or her mother Maria Feodorovna presented it to her for her wedding trusseau. At any rate it does appear to be Russian. The Topaz's are huge and I think it is great that such an old piece is worn often today. Have never seen photos of the previous Queens wearing it though. I am always happy to be corrected if I have written the wrong thing. cheers.

This is possible or, as Alexander suggested, Paul I bought/comisionned the set with the intention to give it to Maria on her marrage, which he didn't live long enough to attend.
Queen Louise wore it often with either the fringe or the Braganca tiaras. Other Swedish royals that have worn the demi-parure are Princess Sibylla and her daughters Desiree & Christina. I have not see a singe photo or portrait of Queen Victoria wearing any part of the pink topaz set (Actually, I've seen her with only a small amount of jewellery ).

Bobby

205370.jpg

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Lovely clear photo of Queen Louise. Thank you. Sweden certainly has a great many lovel jewels. :wink2:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra are often noted for their "swan-like" necks, but I think Queen Louise could give them a run for their chokers!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra are often noted for their "swan-like" necks, but I think Queen Louise could give them a run for their chokers!

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Enjoyed reading about the pink topaz parure. Got me to thinking about the history of the ruby parure given to Crown Princess Mary by her husband, besides the fact that Frederick inherited the set from his grandmother, what else can anyone tell me about it? Also what did Prince Joachim inherit from his grandmother, if anything?

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
laurensmama|1300411746|2874386 said:
Enjoyed reading about the pink topaz parure. Got me to thinking about the history of the ruby parure given to Crown Princess Mary by her husband, besides the fact that Frederick inherited the set from his grandmother, what else can anyone tell me about it? Also what did Prince Joachim inherit from his grandmother, if anything?

This tiara is part of a ruby parure (tiara, necklace, earrings, bracelet, brooch). The tiara is made up of diamond currant leaves and ruby berries and was originally given to Désirée Clary by Napoleon I, her ex-fiancé upon her marriage to Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte who became King Karl XIV Johan of Sweden. After Queen Désirée's death in 1860, the ruby parure was given to her great-granddaughter, Princess Louise of Sweden who went on to become Queen of Denmark. The ruby parure has been passed on from a queen consort to the new crown princess upon marriage to the Crown Prince of Denmark: Queen Louise to Crown Princess Alexandrine, Queen Alexandrine to Crown Princess Ingrid. Crown Princess Ingrid modified the tiara (as seen in March 1948) by adding brooches to give it a grander look (as seen in June 1948) which is its form today. Upon the death of Queen Ingrid in 2000, the ruby parure passed on to Queen Ingrid's grandson, Crown Prince Frederik to be worn by his future bride. The ruby parure re-appeared in 2004 on Miss Mary Donaldson, the future Crown Princess of Denmark on two pre-wedding events in 2004: on May 11, a dinner event at Christiansborg Palace honoring the engaged couple, and on May 13 for an evening at the Royal Theatre. Crown Princess Mary has worn this tiara for three Danish New Year's Court Gala: 2006, 2007, 2008. This ruby parure is set in silver and gold and uses old mine-cut diamonds.

here Queen Ingrid wore also the matching bracelet

daneeee1.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The tiara is made up of diamond currant leaves and ruby berries and was originally given to Désirée Clary by Napoleon I, her ex-fiancé upon her marriage to Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte who became King Karl XIV Johan of Sweden.

I belive you're wrong on this one, Alexander. As far as I know, Napoleon I granted some money to his marshals to buy jewels for their wifes to wear at the Coronation and Marshal Bernadotte bought his wife this ruby parure (if I remember correctly by Nitot).

But I may be a too far-fetched statement... As I've said before everything is in my head and sometimes it all becomes a total mess...

ETA - Is anything known about the gold and diamond cuff bracelet that Queen Ingrid is wearing on her right hand in that portrait? I know she's worn since she was a young Queen and I've also seen Princess Benedikte & Queen Margrethe II wearing it.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
HSH Princess Antoinette of Monaco, Baronne de Messy, sister of Prince Renier III, has passed away earlier today (18th March) at the age of 90. May she reast in peace!

063f5.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1300485919|2874876 said:
The tiara is made up of diamond currant leaves and ruby berries and was originally given to Désirée Clary by Napoleon I, her ex-fiancé upon her marriage to Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte who became King Karl XIV Johan of Sweden.

I belive you're wrong on this one, Alexander. As far as I know, Napoleon I granted some money to his marshals to buy jewels for their wifes to wear at the Coronation and Marshal Bernadotte bought his wife this ruby parure (if I remember correctly by Nitot).

But I may be a too far-fetched statement... As I've said before everything is in my head and sometimes it all becomes a total mess...

ETA - Is anything known about the gold and diamond cuff bracelet that Queen Ingrid is wearing on her right hand in that portrait? I know she's worn since she was a young Queen and I've also seen Princess Benedikte & Queen Margrethe II wearing it.

Bobby

when you said - yes Napoleon give his men money to buy some stuff. I'd just found it on the web. When I remember right the Rubies were discussed some time ago.
It's interessting that a parure from about 200 years ago is still worn in a nearly original design. it is also described in the danish jewel book ( http://www.hoogstraten.nl/theshop/product_info.php?products_id=69&osCsid=d66cbbdd81e0fe4a92b32b70ad890f5c ) and they said that this small (cheaper rubies ) make the imagine of larger stones.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1300632059|2875718 said:
when you said - yes Napoleon give his men money to buy some stuff. I'd just found it on the web. When I remember right the Rubies were discussed some time ago.
It's interessting that a parure from about 200 years ago is still worn in a nearly original design. it is also described in the danish jewel book ( http://www.hoogstraten.nl/theshop/product_info.php?products_id=69&osCsid=d66cbbdd81e0fe4a92b32b70ad890f5c ) and they said that this small (cheaper rubies ) make the imagine of larger stones.

It's nice to hear that I'm not mistaken :D
Alexander, do you know/remeber if there was a tiara originally in the parure or if it was created some time later with part of the brooches (I'm not talking about the alternations Crown Princess Ingrid made).

Bobby

alexandrinepr2.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Seven years ago the Nethrelands' former Queen Juliana passed away in her sleap... May she rest in peace!

MRP_KJ.jpg

1752.jpg

02680.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1300636288|2875746 said:
alexander1917|1300632059|2875718 said:

It's nice to hear that I'm not mistaken :D
Alexander, do you know/remeber if there was a tiara originally in the parure or if it was created some time later with part of the brooches (I'm not talking about the alternations Crown Princess Ingrid made).[attachment=0]alexandrinepr2.jpg[/attachment]

Bobby

could be a wedding gift for Queen Alexandrine (may from the king). Queen Ingrid let attach the brooch to the more bandeau style tiara.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1300650173|2875885 said:
could be a wedding gift for Queen Alexandrine (may from the king). Queen Ingrid let attach the brooch to the more bandeau style tiara.

I know that, Alexander. I was just wondering if the tiara was part of the original parure (as made by Nitot and bought by Marshal Bernabotte), or if the tiara was made at a later stage (presumably for Duchess Alexandrine).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
As the court in Monaco is now in mourning for Princess Antoinette, it was decided that the Princess of Hanover's children would represent the family at this year's Rose Ball.
Charlotte Casiraghi wore a Cameo brooch that depicts Princess Grace from her mother's collection and pearl earrings with red pendants.

Pierre Casiraghi's girlfriend Beatrice Borromeo was also present. She wore a Cartier-like necklace - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/110480259/Getty-Images-Entertainment

Bobby

charlotte rose ball2011_1.jpg

charlotte rose ball2011_2.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

ausiegem

Rough_Rock
OK people, this is only my second post. I found this site about 2 months ago and have been addicted to it ever since. I have 3 little children so I don't have as much time as I'd like to to get on and check out all the amazingly beautiful things, not to mention the wealth of information. I am finally up to page 90 of the 286 pages of posts in this forum (wow will I ever get to the end) lol. Anyhow, I have heaps of questions if anyone could please offer some answers.
1) Does a picture/photo of Queen Victorias snake E/ring exist, I'd love to see it.
2) I recently inherited a magnificent opal and diamond ring off my grandmother who passed away, can anyone tell me why royals don't wear opals very much?
3) I have an 18K gold chain and pendant from Egypt and the gold feels and sounds different to the gold we have in Australia and USA etc, why is that?

Anyway, thanks so much for the wealth of info and pics everyone, this is my new found passion in life besides my horses,much to my husbands amuzement as now I want one of everything. lol.

PS: I find it so disappointing and sad that members of RF's all over the world sell off or auction family jewels when a member passes away or they need more money. I am such a lover of history and tradition I just could never do anything like that.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
ausiegem|1300704877|2876370 said:
OK people, this is only my second post. I found this site about 2 months ago and have been addicted to it ever since. I have 3 little children so I don't have as much time as I'd like to to get on and check out all the amazingly beautiful things, not to mention the wealth of information. I am finally up to page 90 of the 286 pages of posts in this forum (wow will I ever get to the end) lol. Anyhow, I have heaps of questions if anyone could please offer some answers.
1) Does a picture/photo of Queen Victorias snake E/ring exist, I'd love to see it.
2) I recently inherited a magnificent opal and diamond ring off my grandmother who passed away, can anyone tell me why royals don't wear opals very much?
3) I have an 18K gold chain and pendant from Egypt and the gold feels and sounds different to the gold we have in Australia and USA etc, why is that?

Anyway, thanks so much for the wealth of info and pics everyone, this is my new found passion in life besides my horses,much to my husbands amuzement as now I want one of everything. lol.

PS: I find it so disappointing and sad that members of RF's all over the world sell off or auction family jewels when a member passes away or they need more money. I am such a lover of history and tradition I just could never do anything like that.

I only know the story of the english opals. The set which is now set with rubies (worn in the Arabs) and the Oriental circlet were a design of Prince Albert and set with opals. Queen Alexandra inherit them and reset them in 1902 with the rubies. it is said she believed in the long old way that opals bring bad luck.
I also asked over several years and forums what happend to the opals. No-one knows. so I think they still keept in the vaults.

HM owns an australien gift a huge opal - and for me it is one of the ugliest pieces in the world.

121_A&C-photos-018.jpg

littlestinker

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I know I've been a little quiet (working to hard). I'm a lurker at heart. Anyway, I stumbled on this site:

www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/dressfortheoccasion

It has some great pictures of Queen Elizabeth's jewels. I have uploaded a couple of them and can add more if you guys prefer. Otherwise, enjoy!
Deborah

royal collection 1.jpg

rose of York.jpg

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Hi aussiegem, Queen Elizabeths opal earrings and necklace were described somewhere as being Andamooka opals with the pendant being 204 cts and a gift to HM in 1954 from the people of Sth Australia. Also when I was in Coober Pedy many years ago I read a newspaper clipping at the Desert Cave motel that a very large opal [over 200 cts]was a gift to the Queen. So the story is substantiated.
For the rest of you Coober Pedy is a desert opal mining town in Australia where many people live underground due to the heat.
The church is underground and Motel etc. Tis a very interesting place. Val Kilmer the US actor found it interesting when he was there filming a movie some years ago.
Opals were a common popular gem in Queen Victorias time.
cheers

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1300657677|2875981 said:
As the court in Monaco is now in mourning for Princess Antoinette, it was decided that the Princess of Hanover's children would represent the family at this year's Rose Ball.
Charlotte Casiraghi wore a Cameo brooch that depicts Princess Grace from her mother's collection and pearl earrings with red pendants.

Pierre Casiraghi's girlfriend Beatrice Borromeo was also present. She wore a Cartier-like necklace - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/110480259/Getty-Images-Entertainment

Bobby

OMG, she's the spitting image of her mother. I thought that was a 30 year old photo of her mom. WOW!

ausiegem

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys. I had heard that the English RF considered opals as bad luck and have done for hundreds of generations, but I wasn't too sure how truthful that was. You don't see many opals on higher class jewellry wearers do you? Maybe because they are not as expensive as Ruby's emeralds and saphires etc.
My grandmother told me about 5 years before she passed away that she was leaving me this ring, i thought my gosh it's horrible, i'll never wear it. But now I absolutely love it and I wear it everywhere. It's funny how one's taste can change.
What about Q Victoria's engagment ring, any luck with a picture anyone?
Cheers

Feeshalori

Rough_Rock
Ausiegem, that is a beautiful huge opal! Is it a fire opal? I'm partial to them myself, having a pair of opal earrings and one set with garnets. I heard that opals are bad luck because they chip and crack easily, but don't know if there's another reason behind the bad luck myth. Either way, I enjoy wearing mine and am sure you love wearing that beautiful specimen.

Duchess68

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone -
Long time lurker, and finally decided to create my first post.

I love all gemstones, and had always heard about opals and bad luck. A few years ago, I read a book on accessories, and found out that it was due to a novel (Sir Walter Scott's Anne of Geierstein) where the heroine receives an opal and dies shortly thereafter! Silly reason for the bad luck curse!

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Hi Aussie gem,
How lucky you are to have inherited such a lovely gem from your grandmother. She obviously looked after it well.
They tend to scratch easily. Your grandmother must have thought highly of you to leave it to you. Very lucky girl.
Perhaps you could use this gem - to start - as an heirloom to pass down through the generations of your family. Just think
many years from now a gr gr granddaughter of yours could say that "Aussie gem" a great lady,- passed down a wonderful opal ring.
cheers

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results