carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1299980118|2870469 said:
prince.of.preslav|1299965938|2870325 said:
You express the point I was trying to make very well Bobby. Everyone else has expressed concern, but there has been no response from the IF at all. The last time I felt this....well...disillusioned with the example a monarch set was the first few days after Diana was killed and QEII didn't seem to care. I would hate to think the Emperor didn't care about what his people are going through.

I just read on the British board that a message from The Emperor to those affected by the earthquake & tsunami has been delivered on JBC and other medias. The IHA has reporeted that the IF are all well and are in Tokyo (the most affected area -Sendai- is far from Tokyo).
Yet, it's still strange to me that HIM's message hasn't been mentioned by the serious international media (CNN, EuroNews, etc.)...

BTE, Beatrix has also offered her sympathy to the Emperor and the people of Japan.

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
LadyMaria|1299979877|2870466 said:
prince.of.preslav|1299964832|2870319 said:
BTW, do the Windsors own any historical/family lace vails? It would be nice to see Miss Middleton wearing one. Sort of like Mary Donaldson at her 2004 royal wedding :)

Bobby

I don't know about lace veils, but I do remember reading that the bodice of Diana's wedding dress had lace on it from Queen Mary.

Queen Victoria made much about her wedding veil of Honiton Lace. I wonder what happened to it.

Wasn't the complete silk of Di's dress from Queen Mary?

QV dess and veil is part of the Royal dress colelction ( pic some posts above)

I think there is much lace and silk left.

Another ancetode from my dear Queen Mary.
during the WWII she was evacuated in Badminton (her niece home) and some day she wrote to a higher rank man at Windsor Castle, id he couldn't look at a certain chest 2nd drawer, if there would'nt be store some table colthes from Geroge III.

And her remarkable memory was right. there it was.

I think QM was the only person in the RF and the R Houshold to know exactly what, where and from whom some piece or item came from and the currently whereabout. (of course not only jewels :) ))

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thanks you Maria and Alexander for the repies about lace in the Windsors' collection.
Alexander, the anecdote about Queen Mary is priceless! Many thanks! She sure knew how to organise/run a household and have everything in order.

Has anybody ever seen photos of Mary, Duchess of Beaufort (Queen Mary's niece) with a tiara or other grand jewels?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Principessa|1299983166|2870502 said:
..I know, Bobby, you said"last pictures from the state visit'...but here just one! the veeeeery last...promise! :D

LOL! For some reason I'm kind of obsessed by that State Visit... I guess it's all the nice jewels that were worn...
Here is the very last photo from that SV that I post (seriously!) - you just have to love it - the falcon is really beautiful and HM's expression tells it all... We can also see some of Queen Beatrix's favourite day-time jewels:

Bobby

2011-0309-netherlands-beatrix2.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
It's a well know fact that when the tiara from the 1901 sapphire wedding gift parure was broken, jewels for all four of Queen Juliana's daughters were made. Each Princess got two pairs of earrings - one with diamonds only and the other with diamonds and sapphires. The earrings of The Queen and Princess Margriet are welll known, as are Princess Irene's diamond earrings, but about the rest - Irene's sapphire earrings* and Princess Christina's two pairs? Are there anw photos of these jewels?
*Princess Irene also owns her mother's cabochon sapphire drop earrings.

Bobby

jean95404

Rough_Rock
alexander1917|1300027664|2870714 said:
LadyMaria|1299979877|2870466 said:
prince.of.preslav|1299964832|2870319 said:
BTW, do the Windsors own any historical/family lace vails? It would be nice to see Miss Middleton wearing one. Sort of like Mary Donaldson at her 2004 royal wedding :)

Bobby

I don't know about lace veils, but I do remember reading that the bodice of Diana's wedding dress had lace on it from Queen Mary.

Queen Victoria made much about her wedding veil of Honiton Lace. I wonder what happened to it.

Wasn't the complete silk of Di's dress from Queen Mary?

QV dess and veil is part of the Royal dress colelction ( pic some posts above)

I think there is much lace and silk left.

Another ancetode from my dear Queen Mary.
during the WWII she was evacuated in Badminton (her niece home) and some day she wrote to a higher rank man at Windsor Castle, id he couldn't look at a certain chest 2nd drawer, if there would'nt be store some table colthes from Geroge III.

And her remarkable memory was right. there it was.

I think QM was the only person in the RF and the R Houshold to know exactly what, where and from whom some piece or item came from and the currently whereabout. (of course not only jewels :) ))

Regarding the silk for Diana's dress, it was woven especially for her gown. I purchased the Emmanuel's book "A Dress for Diana" (which may be in many library's) and they spoke to the fact that the yardage was made using english silkworms. Who knew silkworms had nationality. The piece of lace used on the bodice was, as stated, from Queen Mary's collection, and the Emmanuels had to return any bits that were not used. So someone, somewhere is in charge of lace related to the Royal Collection.

Recalling the heirloom Royal Christening gown, wasn't that retired and a new one created using some lace from the collection? Something niggling in the back of my mind about that.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Speaking of state visits, here is a picture I scanned from my well-worn and loved book, "Invitation to a Royal Wedding" from 1981. This is the state visit of Saudi Arabia in June 1981. Diana is not wearing a tiara as she wasn't a member of the royal family yet. She is wearing some type of fringe necklace...the scan isn't great and it's hard to tell even in the original.

EII is wearing the GGBI and a fringe necklace, probably the Saudi gift. And I think the order she's wearing is a Saudi order.

QEQM is wearing the Order of the Garter, Oriental Circlet, and Ruby Necklace.

Any guesses as to who is standing behind QEQM? I don't think it's Princess Anne, but I'm not sure. The caption only mentions QEII, QEQM, and Diana.

statevisitsaudi1981.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some other pictures from the 1981 Saudi state visit.

In the picture of Diana, any idea who the woman is in the brightly flowered dress is? Looks like she's wearing some type of fringe tiara.

statevisitsaudi1981a.jpg

statevisitsaudib.jpg

statevisitsaudic.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hi Maria! It's really nice to see these new to me photos of Saudi Arabian State Visit to the UK! Here's what I can say about your questions...

Diana is not wearing a tiara as she wasn't a member of the royal family yet. She is wearing some type of fringe necklace...the scan isn't great and it's hard to tell even in the original.
Diana didn't wear a tiara as she wasn't married, rather than because she wan't a member of the Royal Family. Remeber the discussion where I told you that tiaras aren't restricted to royals only? At the banquet Lady Diana wore the diamond necklace from Collingwood that she wore at for the official engagement photos. She is also wearing the pearl and diamond earrings that Collingwood later gave her as wedding present.

EII is wearing the GGBI and a fringe necklace, probably the Saudi gift. And I think the order she's wearing is a Saudi order.
You're right, Elizabeth II appears to be wearing the necklace King Khalid gave her two years previously, when HM was on a SV to Saudi Arabia. As the collier doesn't have earrings, I think The Queen is wearing the Victorian 3-pendant earrings, which she usually wears with it.

Any guesses as to who is standing behind QEQM? I don't think it's Princess Anne, but I'm not sure. The caption only mentions QEII, QEQM, and Diana.
It's HRH The Duchess of Gloucester. I think she might be wearing the turquoise parure.

In the picture of Diana, any idea who the woman is in the brightly flowered dress is? Looks like she's wearing some type of fringe tiara.

It's HG The Duchess of Grafton, Mistress of the Robes to HM The Queen. She's wearing (as far as I can see) a diamond and pearl tiara (see pic in the thread Tiaras).

Regards,
Bobby

zeemyblak

Rough_Rock
Many of the royal jewels are on display so that the public can admire them too. They are only used on special occasions, because now all the royal family is trying to adjust their style of clothing, most people, including only delicate accessories.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Off topic - Yesterday Prince William, Catherine & Philippa Middleton had lunch in a restaurant in Belgravia and for the first time I see a photo of the future Princess wearing her hair in an up-do :appl: Now I really have hopes for a nice chignon on 29 April...

On tipic...
The British Queen attended the Commonwealth Observance Service in the Abbey today. HM wore the gold dahlia brooch:
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/110056464/Getty-Images-News

For the annual broadcast to the Commonwealth HM wore the flower basket brooch (I don't have a photo though). Here you can hear HM's speech, which this year focused on women and their role in society - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8JTJFQvtso

Bobby

CatherineLunch.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1300133155|2871646 said:
Hi Maria! It's really nice to see these new to me photos of Saudi Arabian State Visit to the UK! Here's what I can say about your questions...

Diana is not wearing a tiara as she wasn't a member of the royal family yet. She is wearing some type of fringe necklace...the scan isn't great and it's hard to tell even in the original.
Diana didn't wear a tiara as she wasn't married, rather than because she wan't a member of the Royal Family. Remeber the discussion where I told you that tiaras aren't restricted to royals only? At the banquet Lady Diana wore the diamond necklace from Collingwood that she wore at for the official engagement photos. She is also wearing the pearl and diamond earrings that Collingwood later gave her as wedding present.

You're right, Elizabeth II appears to be wearing the necklace King Khalid gave her two years previously, when HM was on a SV to Saudi Arabia. As the collier doesn't have earrings, I think The Queen is wearing the Victorian 3-pendant earrings, which she usually wears with it.

It's HRH The Duchess of Gloucester. I think she might be wearing the turquoise parure.

It's HG The Duchess of Grafton, Mistress of the Robes to HM The Queen. She's wearing (as far as I can see) a diamond and pearl tiara (see pic in the thread Tiaras).

Regards,
Bobby

That totally makes sense about Diana not wearing a tiara...in the Munn tiara book it mentions how if a debutante was presented at court to "enter society" she didn't wear a tiara, but if she was a new bride being presented at court then she did wear a tiara.

I can see it being the Duchess of Gloucester now that you mention it. Her hair is a bit more gray now ;-)

And when I was looking at this book for first time in a long while, it always seems a little strange to see pictures of QEII before her hair went white!

Principessa

Rough_Rock
Here is a photo of a very young Crown Princess Wilhelmina wearing an unusually mounted diamond tiara.
I think this is a splendid way to show off a tiara in the most royal manner.

408px-Wilhelmina_of_the_Netherlands,_1909.jpg

Principessa

Rough_Rock
LadyMaria|1300123575|2871461 said:
Speaking of state visits, here is a picture I scanned from my well-worn and loved book, "Invitation to a Royal Wedding" from 1981. This is the state visit of Saudi Arabia in June 1981. Diana is not wearing a tiara as she wasn't a member of the royal family yet. She is wearing some type of fringe necklace...the scan isn't great and it's hard to tell even in the original.

Lady Maria, thank you for this little piece of nostalgia! IMO all of the ladies looked very fairy-tale like...
and I love the type of a hair-do on Duchess of Gloucester.It is such a grand basis for any tiara, as we know it from HM Queen Silvia of Sweden, who gave this type of hair a successful run for years.

Principessa

Rough_Rock
Here is Queen Silvia in 1980's.

SilviaT3.jpg

joanflett

Rough_Rock
LadyMaria|1300124404|2871476 said:

I think that's Angus Ogilvy behind and to the right of the Queen and it could very well be Princess Alexandra that is standing directly behind the Queen.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Principessa|1300161821|2872059 said:
Here is a photo of a very young Crown Princess Wilhelmina wearing an unusually mounted diamond tiara.
I think this is a splendid way to show off a tiara in the most royal manner.

Personally, I've never been really fond of that setting of the festoon necklace... But then again, I've never really liked airgettes. I preffer the other ways in which the necklace can be worn.
Here's another photo of Queen Wilhelmina wearing this monture of the necklace over a silk bandeau in the 1920s:

And here one can read about and see other photos of original necklace and how else it can be worn - http://www.royaldutchjewels.nl/Diamond_Festoon_Necklace.htm

Bobby

wilh_bandeau_ft.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Principessa|1300190674|2872148 said:
Here is Queen Silvia in 1980's.

This photograph is from the gala for King Carl XVI Gustaf's 50th birthday, which was in 1996 ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
joanflett|1300218663|2872476 said:

I think that's Angus Ogilvy behind and to the right of the Queen and it could very well be Princess Alexandra that is standing directly behind the Queen.

I think you're right, joanflett. And to have all peaple in the photo named, we should mention the Duke of Gloucester who is between Lady Diana Spencer and his wife, Birgitte, and right in front of him is The Duke of Edinburgh.

By the way, welcome to the site!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Does anybody have any idea what the Swedish Queen is wearing on her head here? It doesn't look like any tiara I've seen her wearing before... The cepption says this was taken at their Silver Wedding:
Bobby

0000380188-007.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1299959280|2870280 said:
Okay, maybe someone can answer this question:

Has anyone heard anything from the Japanese Royal Family after the earthquake?

I've seen many heads of state offering condolances to the Emperor, but I have not seen or heard any comments out of the Imperial Household Agency. Do we even know if the royal family is all right?

I guess they're all safe and sound in the Imperial Palace. But I find it more than strange that the Emperor hasn't addressed his subjects after such a disaster.... And also no member of the IF has visited the affected arias...I wish His Majesty would talk to his people soon...
So far the British, Swedish and Norwegian monarchs (am I missing s.o.), as well as the Walses have sent their letters of condolences to the Emperor and the peope of Japan.

Bobby

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/16/japan-emperor-nuclear-fears

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1300276169|2873069 said:
LadyMaria|1299959280|2870280 said:
Okay, maybe someone can answer this question:

Has anyone heard anything from the Japanese Royal Family after the earthquake?

I've seen many heads of state offering condolances to the Emperor, but I have not seen or heard any comments out of the Imperial Household Agency. Do we even know if the royal family is all right?

I guess they're all safe and sound in the Imperial Palace. But I find it more than strange that the Emperor hasn't addressed his subjects after such a disaster.... And also no member of the IF has visited the affected arias...I wish His Majesty would talk to his people soon...
So far the British, Swedish and Norwegian monarchs (am I missing s.o.), as well as the Walses have sent their letters of condolences to the Emperor and the peope of Japan.

Bobby

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/16/japan-emperor-nuclear-fears

I am very happy to hear the Emperor has finally addressed his people! Thanks TL!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Queen Elizabeth II wore a longer three row pearl necklace, her usual earrings and a dimond flower brooch at the Commonwealth Day Reception in Marlborough House (Queen Mary's last home):

Today HRH The Princess Royal unveiled a new photo portrait of her mother, HM The Queen, at the Scottish Parliament. The Queen is wearing in her new portrait a white evening gown, a two row necklace of graduated button pearls (not seen in a long time), pearl earrings and a brooch from Queen Mary's collection (seen for the first time on HM). I also think she's also wearing one of her evening watches. The photo was taken in the Palace of Holyroodhouse.
The DailyMail's article with larger photo - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...picture-monarch-hang-Scottish-Parliament.html

Bobby

1295461a.jpg

800000578.jpg

joanflett

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1300229461|2872675 said:
joanflett|1300218663|2872476 said:

I think you're right, joanflett. And to have all peaple in the photo named, we should mention the Duke of Gloucester who is between Lady Diana Spencer and his wife, Birgitte, and right in front of him is The Duke of Edinburgh.

By the way, welcome to the site!

Bobby

Thank you for the welcome Bobby. I have been reading and learning for a couple of months and thought I'd just jump in and post a reply.
Joan

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Love the Queen in the white dress-very elegant.

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Just to remind you about Queen Silvia's very impressive pink topaz set worn in the photo earlier with the Connaught tiara. Tsar Paul I of Russia [son of Catherine the Great] gave the very large and impressive pink topaz set to his daughter Grand Duchess Maria, on the occasion of her wedding in 1804. Maria married Grand Duke Charles Frederik of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. One of the many small Duchies in Germany at the time. Maria then gave the pink topaz set to her daughter Augusta who married Kaiser William I of Germany and became Emperor. Sadly it was not a happy marriage. The Empress Augusta then gave the set to her daughter Louise who married the Grand Duke of Baden. Another small German Duchy. The Grand Duchess Louise gave the set to her daughter Victoria when she married the future King Gustav V of Sweden. And from there the set has passed down through future Queens. Just goes to show how some of these old pieces have passed down through many royal houses over the years.
The Connaught tiara was a wedding gift from Queen Victoria of England to Princess Louise Margaret of Prussia who married Victoria's son Arthur the Duke of Connaught in 1879. The Duchess of Connaught then passed the tiara to her daughter Margaret who married the heir to the Swedish throne Gustav Adolphe in 1905. Sadly the Crown Princess Margaret died young in 1920 leaving a young family including Princess Ingrid who became Queen of Denmark and grandmother to Frederik.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Not quite, Dagmar, not quite!

Indeed this is the story of the pink topaz demi-parure that we know and that's what was published on the royal wedding's website, but Tzar Paul I died in 1801, while his daughter married the Duke of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach in 1804. How can a dead person present his daughter with a present on her wedding? As far as I know that's not possible ;-)
The rest of the set's story, however, must be true and Queen Victoria made them (the topazes) part of the family foundation.

The Connaught tiara is said to have been made by Gerrard's in 1904 and then given to Princes Margaret in 1905 by her parents. Part of Queen Victoria's wedding present to Princess Luise Margarete (the Duchess of Connaught) was a diamond fringe necklace/tiara that had belonged to her (Victoria's) mother, The Duchess of Kent.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
joanflett|1300311756|2873487 said:
Thank you for the welcome Bobby. I have been reading and learning for a couple of months and thought I'd just jump in and post a reply.
Joan

You're welcome, Joan! Hope you'll jump in and post a reply more often here.

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1300369365|2873907 said:
Not quite, Dagmar, not quite!

Indeed this is the story of the pink topaz demi-parure that we know and that's what was published on the royal wedding's website, but Tzar Paul I died in 1801, while his daughter married the Duke of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach in 1804. How can a dead person present his daughter with a present on her wedding? As far as I know that's not possible ;-)
The rest of the set's story, however, must be true and Queen Victoria made them (the topazes) part of the family foundation.

The Connaught tiara is said to have been made by Gerrard's in 1904 and then given to Princes Margaret in 1905 by her parents. Part of Queen Victoria's wedding present to Princess Luise Margarete (the Duchess of Connaught) was a diamond fringe necklace/tiara that had belonged to her (Victoria's) mother, The Duchess of Kent.

Bobby

mayby Paul bought it before his death, when his daughter was younger. I just think of QV and her beloved Albert. The newly weds had to be in front of the PC bust for the official photos, and a wedding gift was in the name of Queen Victoria AND Albert given. (just forgot which wedding it was.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results