carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Camilla is to old to wear off the shoulder gowns.
I wish she would change her hair get a face lift moisturize her skin. I'm sorry I just can't stand her
appearance. She tries to hard and she is failing. Maybe the Queen can advise her

jean95404

Rough_Rock
Queen Shelly, I respectfully disagree with you in that Camilla is too old to wear off the shoulder dresses. I think the dress frames her neck and face in a lovely way and I found the color of the dress flattering to her skin tone. Sadly, for many outdoorsy ladies, weather doe takes a cruel toll on skin elasticity. And, I believe Camilla smokes. Neither of these are good for the skin. I am neither a fan or foe of Camilla, but I think, over the years from what I have seen on news clips and from what I have heard people say about her that she has a lovely, friendly personality. Surely that has value?

I would not want to be in the public eye, entirely too thin skinned to take the constant criticism. If Camilla were to get a face lift or new hairstyle she would be critiqued for those changes. I would love to be able to find a hairstyle which is classic that would look good on me as she has done. Many days I completely understand why Brittany Spears shaved her head! If Camilla changes her clothing style someone would find fault with the new style. There are items she wears that I think are less flattering to her than other colors or styles she might choose. I "Googled" some photos of her over the years and think that she has changed the color palette to lighter, softer tones. Her Majesty's clothing style has evolved over the years. Some items were tremendous while some fell short of the mark. I greatly admire Her Majesty for far more than her clothing.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Very well said, Jean!!! We only clash where you say that you're not a fan nor a foe of The Duchess of Cornwall. But other than that I just couldn't agree more! The poor woman (and everybody else, actually) has more qualities than her outlook only. The fact remanis, however, that these are not seen in photos.
About wearing off the shoulder dresses - I also don't think it's prroblem hot Camilla. And just look Queen Silvia, who is some years older than The Duchess. No word about her (but she's not a devil that steals husbands ;))

PS: The Princess does smoke, or at least did. And if we should believe the rumours, there've been some cosmetic changes on HRH's face.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1302145688|2889873 said:
TL|1301797780|2886364 said:
Christies to auction Elizabeth Taylor's jewels.

http://www.stylelist.com/2011/03/28/christies-auction-elizabeth-taylor-jewelry/

Too bad, the La Peregrina pearl really belongs in a museum. It is an important historical piece.

+1 Pieces like that belong in museums. I trusted Elizabeth Taylor to take care of it. Just whoever happens to shell out the money needed to buy it at Christies, not so much.

This made me think - in reality (not if you ask the Spanish Royal Family) only a small part of the necklace, namely the lower pendant, is of historical significance. The rest was a new creation with cultured pearls (IIRC). And are there really many people out there that would go to a museum/visit an exhibiton just to see a former royal jewel? Certainly 80+ % of the visitors would only want to see a nice necklace that Elizabeth Taylor owned, valued much and proudly wore and which (by some incident) happens to have been worn by a few other Queens...
The same with the emeralds - do you think many people would care that a certain Maria Pavlovna has worn them at some point? And before her her mother-in-law - a Russian Empress.
I for one would go to the (imaginary) museum for both reasons as I happen to be quite fond of Dame Elizabeth and royaty.
72352504.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
British Royal Wedding time - The Daily Mail claims that there's a bit of tension between the Duchess of Cornwall and her soon-to-be step-daughter-in-law about whether she (Catherine) should wear a tiara at the wedding or a flower head piece. The Prince of Wales and his spouse insist on a more traditional look with tiara, while Miss Middleton wants the more low-key flowers.
A bit of nonsence, IMO, as both Prince William & Catherine have attended wedding where the brides (friends of the couple) wore some rather nice tiaras and didn't look out of place. And it'd be a missed opportunity for Miss Middleotn to show the world a long unseen (I hope so!) tiara.

The article can be found here - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...nce-William-clash-Charles-Camilla-tiaras.html - and there's also a nice photoshopped photo of the couple. The original image hasPeter Philips and Autumn Kelly's faces, as it was at their wedding.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1302139477|2889735 said:
I enjoyed looking at the site Bobby posted about the Norway/Lithuania state visit (even though it was in Norwegian!). As I looked through the 40+ pictures I was surprised, and pleased, to see how many guests showed up in traditional Norwegian dress. I thought that was pretty cool!

I also think I's rather nice to dress like that for a gala dinner (if the dress code allows you to). It's alsoo nice to see that most man obaued to the dress code and wore white tie and sometimes orders too :)
Here are, especially for you Lady Maria, two photos of the Crown Princess in tradional Norwegian dress. In the second photo she's wearing jewels from Queen Maud & Crown Princess Martha.
haakonmette2.jpg 2iuliu..jpg

PS: I hope the British royals will wear kilts at Zara and Mike's wedding as it's gona be in Scotland.

Bobby

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
I know that is sounds harsh toward camellia and yes there a lot of the other royal ladies that have better taste I know. We need to see more of her face and get the hair up and away. Her face is very hard i know she has ladies to do her hair. show off the slender neck. The queen always looks good she has people to help her to make sure she looks her royal best. I love the queen.
and the other royals but camellia has never impressed me at all. There is nothing that I have seen impresses me it looks out of place. the gowns the styles are for younger person and she looks like she hunched over. As everyone has said if you think you have it stand up straight and work it, She is lost in that department.

jean95404

Rough_Rock
You have made some very good points. I looked at some more photos of Camilla and I think because her face is slender to the point of being thin she does not have the softness that those of us (i.e. me) have with chubby cheeks. This gives an angular, or hard edge look. The hairstyle gives her face some width. I haven't found a photo of her within the last twenty years where her hairstyle was any different. Certainly nothing pulled away from the face except one in which she is wearing a hat while fox hunting.

I wonder if her stylist gets lots of input from Prince Charles? I know that my husband has "helped" me on occasion in shopping. It's not a pleasant way to spend time together.

Generally I like the Countess of Wessex's clothes, but her choice of hats just make me wonder what she was thinking. Perhaps being photographed in the whole ensemble before going out would cause her to change hats, or go without. Princess Anne wears low key, serviceable clothing. Now here is another person who has not changed her hairstyle since the 1970's. I understand she is the same size she was thirty years ago and still wears some classic clothing she had then. Good for her! I so envy that. Sarah is, to use a phrase my daughter-in-law uses is a "hot mess". Can't say that I ever saw anything look really good on her whether she was thin or not so thin.

The Queen, well, she is just amazing. Love seeing photos of her from being a young monarch and her style then, and as she has constantly evolved her style to fit her age and figure. My favorite period of her clothing was probably the sixties. And as she always has to have formal wear made to be a nod to whatever country or event she is at, that must be truly a difficult task for her people to achieve.

Oh, the hunched look. Didn't Camilla's mother have osteoporosis? I am wondering if this might be occurring with Camilla now.

I think the only women that should REALLY avoid wide portrait necklines (in my opinion only) are those with severely crepey skin, or a person who is so thin their bones protrude like a scrub board. Oh, two others...where one's breasts either appear to be on the verge of spill over or when companions get a view of a sadly sagging décolleté. Jewel necklines ladies, jewel necklines!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1302219146|2890610 said:
Imdanny|1302145688|2889873 said:
TL|1301797780|2886364 said:
Christies to auction Elizabeth Taylor's jewels.

http://www.stylelist.com/2011/03/28/christies-auction-elizabeth-taylor-jewelry/

Too bad, the La Peregrina pearl really belongs in a museum. It is an important historical piece.

+1 Pieces like that belong in museums. I trusted Elizabeth Taylor to take care of it. Just whoever happens to shell out the money needed to buy it at Christies, not so much.

This made me think - in reality (not if you ask the Spanish Royal Family) only a small part of the necklace, namely the lower pendant, is of historical significance. The rest was a new creation with cultured pearls (IIRC). And are there really many people out there that would go to a museum/visit an exhibiton just to see a former royal jewel? Certainly 80+ % of the visitors would only want to see a nice necklace that Elizabeth Taylor owned, valued much and proudly wore and which (by some incident) happens to have been worn by a few other Queens...
The same with the emeralds - do you think many people would care that a certain Maria Pavlovna has worn them at some point? And before her her mother-in-law - a Russian Empress.
I for one would go to the (imaginary) museum for both reasons as I happen to be quite fond of Dame Elizabeth and royaty.
72352504.jpg

Bobby

Oh, I think a lot of people would go see that famous pearl, and I think the Cartier necklace should stay with it. I would personally want to see it as I am very much interested in Tudor history, and knowing that Queen Mary I of England owned it, and it's in many portraits of her, is extremely fascinating to me. It's also rare to see large natural pearls of such beauty in this day and age.

Queen Mary Tudor.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1302220293|2890625 said:
British Royal Wedding time - The Daily Mail claims that there's a bit of tension between the Duchess of Cornwall and her soon-to-be step-daughter-in-law about whether she (Catherine) should wear a tiara at the wedding or a flower head piece. The Prince of Wales and his spouse insist on a more traditional look with tiara, while Miss Middleton wants the more low-key flowers.
A bit of nonsence, IMO, as both Prince William & Catherine have attended wedding where the brides (friends of the couple) wore some rather nice tiaras and didn't look out of place. And it'd be a missed opportunity for Miss Middleotn to show the world a long unseen (I hope so!) tiara.

The article can be found here - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...nce-William-clash-Charles-Camilla-tiaras.html - and there's also a nice photoshopped photo of the couple. The original image hasPeter Philips and Autumn Kelly's faces, as it was at their wedding.

Bobby

Most of the weddings they have attended together have artistocratic connections anyway with family tiaras that the bride wore (i.e. the van Custem brothers, Emilia d'Erlanger) and it didn't look out of place. Autumn Phillips wore a tiara, and that wedding was more low key that what we will see from William and Catherine. IMHO, no bride looks out of place with a taira on her wedding day!

The article also said it would be unlikely for Catherine to pull a Fergie (wear flowers in, tiara out). I don't see why not...that seems like a perfect compromise to me and echo the idea of her going in as a commoner and coming out a princess, like with coming in a car and leaving in a carriage. I bet if anyone else but the Duchess of York had done this, it would be considered.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
SanDiegoLady|1302343573|2891816 said:
I'm in a brooch mood.. and since I have no idea what the names of these are called, I'm throwing them up as just simply beautiful..

these are as follwows:

the upper part of the kent amethyst brooch
a regimental brooch
Queen Marys russian brooch
the Cambridge drop brooch (part of the emerald stomacher from Queen Mary)

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
this emerald brooch was a favourite of Queen Elizabeth and came from the Greville estate

the diamond earrings (order of the garter pic) are Queen Mary's floret earrings.

0000343917-001.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
SanDiegoLady|1302344479|2891818 said:
I'd forgotten this one last piece.. Queen Elizabeth's Delhi Durbar necklace.. Its breathtaking.

Actually this is Queen Mary's Delhi Durbar necklace. It was made from some of the Cambridge emeralds, and one of the Cuillian diamonds.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
SanDiegoLady|1302434325|2892430 said:
LadyMaria|1302388169|2892201 said:
I'd forgotten this one last piece.. Queen Elizabeth's Delhi Durbar necklace.. Its breathtaking.

Actually this is Queen Mary's Delhi Durbar necklace. It was made from some of the Cambridge emeralds, and one of the Cuillian diamonds.

Apparently it was posted wrong when I found it as they posted it as Queen Elizabeth's.. :wink2:

No worries, lots of us have encountered websites with mistakes like those...we often comment that they need to have it proofread by the Pricescope Royal Jewels Junkies before publishing!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I caught a special on the wedding on the TV Guide channel last night. It was quite a let down since it was just repeating things from the US Magazine and Life Magazine's specials on the wedding (both of which I already bought and have read multiple times). They did have a nice interview with Elizabeth Emmanual, but I didn't hear anything new. But the biggest disappointment was that they didn't mention a single thing about jewels! No tiara talk at all! Not even blatantly wrong information for us to mock and correct!

Tonight TV Guide channel is doing a Diana, Queen of Hearts special at 8/7central. I won't get to watch this one since I'll be at my little prince's tennis lesson.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock

correction - the necklace was a gift from the Ladies of India for the Durbar - other emerlads (tiara, brooch drops) were from the Cambridges

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
I agree with you on points. I am full faced full figure women.
There is a lot of the royal women that have stuck with certain styles no matter the times. I am bad about it also. There is so many things that the ladies can do. I know that they don't seem to wear a lot of make up which hey natural is beautiful. Plus when you said the queen has changed clothes over the years for shape and her large schedule. We have to look good but feel good in our clothes it helps with the whole being. When you feel good the clothes are good your fabulous.
I know that people don't smile all the time and don't feel good either, but Camilla worked her way into the firm so she needs to get with the program. Like you said look in the mirror , take notes for tips to not only help the skin but her dressing habits.
Really these people get paid to make the royal family look crisp and pressed. They need to fire them. Charles is not that good looking but he is always crisp and pressed sharp.
She needs help

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
alexander1917|1302442016|2892479 said:

correction - the necklace was a gift from the Ladies of India for the Durbar - other emerlads (tiara, brooch drops) were from the Cambridges

See what I mean SDL? Nothing gets past the guys here!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1302383934|2892159 said:
this emerald brooch was a favourite of Queen Elizabeth and came from the Greville estate

the diamond earrings (order of the garter pic) are Queen Mary's floret earrings.

Alexander, how do you know that the brooch came from the Greville inheritence? Not that I doubt what you say, just I've often wondered about it's provenence (it's a fav of mine). The brooch is Victorian to me, unlike the rest of the Greville jewles (mostly Art Deco).

About the Garter service earrings - they are Queen Mary's cluster earrings. Her floret earrings are quite different from these and were a firm favouriteof The Queen in her early years as Queen.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1302439525|2892456 said:
Tonight TV Guide channel is doing a Diana, Queen of Hearts special at 8/7central. I won't get to watch this one since I'll be at my little prince's tennis lesson.

Speaking about Diana, Maria, what happened with your visit to the exhibition?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Last week on 09 April a royal couple, a Crown Princess and a Princess from different countries attended the presentation ceremony of Orange 2011 - a 4 day event of the world scout fund & the Olav Baden-Powell society.

The Queen of Sweden once again wore her V-sahped necklace with the ruby pendant and the ruby and diamond earrings:
PPE11040953.jpg

Princess Maxima wore some quite ugly & bold fake jewels:
PPE11040943.jpg

Princess Benedikte wore four of her diamond stars as brooches and earrings and three pearl rows (one of them of very large pearls) around her neck:
21555.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Gala in Germany for the Orange-Nassaus!

Queen Betrix, the Prince of Orange & Princess Maxima are on a 2-day State Visit to Germany. This evening (12.04) ther was a gala dinner in Schloss Bellevue, Berlin. The Queen wore the pearl Württemberg tiara, the necklace of large pearls, earrings, the strawberry leaf brooch with pearl pendant and the large diamond/pearl lock as bracelet:
521450.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00XjgIveII1jn/x610.jpg
555610_0.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aTSa3o69Tf4n/x610.jpg

Princess Maxima (stunning as usual!) wore the diamond bandeau, long diamond earrings, a bracelet, Queen Juliana's diamond watch and a diamond ring:
8125450.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02Au3KfeQictP/x610.jpg
255210.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00nycz40EU3N9/x610.jpg

To be continued...

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I forgot the photo of Maxima's bracelet:
PPE11041270.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Apr2011/PPE11041270.jpg

At the welcoming ceremony (and visit to the Chancellery) Queen Beatrix wore her modern sapphire and diamond set:
65x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03rJ2Mxf9E2nA/610x.jpg
Princess Maxima wore her (garnet?) thassel earrings, a diamond brooch (from the family's collection) and a diamond bangle:
544240.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aGc8Tr9gz5eE/x610.jpg

Later in the day, the royals attended an economic meeting with German and Dutch entrepreneurs at Hotel Adlon.
The Queen wore a gray pearl necklace (with pendant) and ring:
354350.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dPw0EmcDwc4M/x610.jpg
The Princess wore her pearl drop earrings and the small diamond bow brooch with a pearl pendant:
4350.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cPqg7f84Id2p/x610.jpg

So, three different outfits and hats per person and jewels... Not bad, ah? The Dutch sure know how to appear during a State Visit.

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1302648621|2894474 said:
LadyMaria|1302439525|2892456 said:

Speaking about Diana, Maria, what happened with your visit to the exhibition?

Bobby

Since the trip to Grand Rapids was cancelled due to the ice storm in North Texas,I have a new trip planned to Kansas City after school is done for the year to see it there. It will be during the last weekend of the exhibit in mid-June. I am hoping Diana's earrings will be back with the exhibit by then (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23940439-princess-dianas-wedding-earrings-are-to-be-worn-by-her-sister-for-williams-big-day.do).

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1302648396|2894467 said:

Alexander, how do you know that the brooch came from the Greville inheritence? Not that I doubt what you say, just I've often wondered about it's provenence (it's a fav of mine). The brooch is Victorian to me, unlike the rest of the Greville jewles (mostly Art Deco).

About the Garter service earrings - they are Queen Mary's cluster earrings. Her floret earrings are quite different from these and were a firm favouriteof The Queen in her early years as Queen.

Bobby

first about the earrings.

Queen Mary's florets at the garter and the Queen Mary's clusters are worn here (21st speech from SA with the SA best diamonds) sorry, didn't find a better view sofar

see also Field's
florets p 44-45
cluster p 44-49

42-16969620.jpg

neckl-south-africa.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1302648396|2894467 said:

Bobby

Queen Mother and the Greville Emeralds

the inheritance included as I recall :

the Boucheron honeycomb tiara (now worn by Camilla)
the 3/5 strand diamond necklace (Camilla)
the engagement ring (Camilla)
diamond drop earrings (Queen Mother)
a ruby brooch (Queen during a Christmas)
ruby bandeau necklace (worn by young Queen)
modern cut chandelier earrings (Queen) - mostly worn with George VI festoon necklace
emerald necklace (Queen Mother - pic)
matching emerald brooch (Camilla)

0c38e858.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1302722728|2895212 said:

Queen Mary's florets at the garter and the Queen Mary's clusters are worn here (21st speech from SA with the SA best diamonds) sorry, didn't find a better view sofar

see also Field's
florets p 44-45
cluster p 44-49

The floret earrings resamble a flower (without a stem; hence the name), while the cluster earrings are... well... a cluster - a bunch of stones set together framing a central stone. Does it make sence? Is it clear enough?
I can't see these pages in Mrs Field's book as I don't have it. But I know that there were some mistakes in it.

Here are some better photos of (what I call) the floret earrings:
54346.jpg
52116620.jpg
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/52116620/Tim-Graham-Photo-Library

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1302729262|2895307 said:
alexander1917|1302722728|2895212 said:

see also Field's
florets p 44-45
cluster p 44-49

The floret earrings resamble a flower (without a stem; hence the name), while the cluster earrings are... well... a cluster - a bunch of stones set together framing a central stone. Does it make sence? Is it clear enough?
I can't see these pages in Mrs Field's book as I don't have it. But I know that there were some mistakes in it.

Here are some better photos of (what I call) the floret earrings:
54346.jpg
52116620.jpg
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/52116620/Tim-Graham-Photo-Library

Bobby

those doesn't came from Queen Mary - thats part of the hyderabad suite

http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/queen/nizam-of-hyderabad.htm

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1302723502|2895221 said:
Queen Mother and the Greville Emeralds

the inheritance included as I recall :

the Boucheron honeycomb tiara (now worn by Camilla)
the 3/5 strand diamond necklace (Camilla)
the engagement ring (Camilla)
diamond drop earrings (Queen Mother)
a ruby brooch (Queen during a Christmas)
ruby bandeau necklace (worn by young Queen)
modern cut chandelier earrings (Queen) - mostly worn with George VI festoon necklace
emerald necklace (Queen Mother - pic)
matching emerald brooch (Camilla)

As far as I recall, the inheritance also included an emerald and a double Greek key tiaras. Neither of these tiaras has been worn publicly, but the Meander tiara was once part of an exhibition. There must've been a few bracelets (with rubies & emeralds).
The ruby brooch that you mention is in fact part of a pair. I have some photos of Queen Elizabeth wearing them both.
The story behind The Duchess of Cornwall's engagement ring is rather uncertain - some claim it was part of the Greville inheritance, while others say that it was a present from the Duke of York (the future George VI) to his Duchess when their first daugher was born. I for one believe the second version (more credible sources).

By the way, your photo is from The Queen Mother's 90th birthday.

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results