shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring made wrong

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree completely with @ItsMainelyYou. Honestly, to me, the rendering doesn't even look like the ring will look custom. It's just not right. I know you said that this jeweler made other rings for you that you are happy with. Does your jeweler do the CADs? Use an outside person? Is he using same bench that made your other rings? Something just isn't working and I'm trying to figure out what that might be. The first go around, the finished product didn't look like the CAD so it's very confusing. But honestly, if you move forward with what they have provided, it won't be any better than what they have already done.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I agree completely with @ItsMainelyYou. Honestly, to me, the rendering doesn't even look like the ring will look custom. It's just not right. I know you said that this jeweler made other rings for you that you are happy with. Does your jeweler do the CADs? Use an outside person? Is he using same bench that made your other rings? Something just isn't working and I'm trying to figure out what that might be. The first go around, the finished product didn't look like the CAD so it's very confusing. But honestly, if you move forward with what they have provided, it won't be any better than what they have already done.

My jeweler has the out of state bench do the CADs and is using the same bench as before. So my jeweler did take responsibility for the fact that the bench changed the original design to more of a square design, sent that revised CAD to my jeweler, and my jeweler approved it without showing me. He does take responsibility for failing to show that to me. He said he should have shown me because I would have told him no at that point. This whole situation could have been resolved with better communication.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jeweler has the out of state bench do the CADs and is using the same bench as before. So my jeweler did take responsibility for the fact that the bench changed the original design to more of a square design, sent that revised CAD to my jeweler, and my jeweler approved it without showing me. He does take responsibility for failing to show that to me. He said he should have shown me because I would have told him no at that point. This whole situation could have been resolved with better communication.

That makes sense. However, at this point, it seems like you're going to go down the same path again. I think the result will still be something you're unhappy with.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you decide to move forward with your jeweler and this CAD and rendering, and the end product doesn't match the CAD again, will your jeweler agree that two chances are enough and give you a refund? As @ItsMainelyYou said,
This last CAD looks remarkably like the setting they already made and not even like the first CAD they made.

So it may be that the end result will still not be to your liking as I agree that this latest CAD looks a lot like the ring they already delivered to you. If you didn't like that, then I wouldn't approve this CAD either. Obviously it's up to you to move forward, but there are just so many better executed rings like this, I hate to see you settle for something less than it could be. The fact that the jeweler approved a CAD that was changed, without showing it to you first, really bothers me. Especially since it differed so much from the CAD you approved. That alone should entitle you to a refund.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock

But the execution of whatever CAD the bench was working from was poor. Are they somehow going to be better skilled this time around?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So, this is an excuse for the look changing so much (not sure if I'm buying it) but its not an excuse for the sloppy work that was
done on the ring. I'd like to say you are taking two steps forward, one step back but I dont think its that good. More like just
two steps back with no forward progress.

Do you like the DBL ring on the previous page? Its more squarish with a cushion-shaped stone. Can you show them that picture
and tell them you want it like that? Note that they are using smaller stones in the corners where the prongs are so you're not
getting a big chunk of metal there. I think you were interested in an airline. Not sure if they could throw that in without messing
it up (they should be able to but I dont know if I'd press my luck with the CAD designer or the bench.) You can ask for it and
see how the CAD turns out.

Then there is still the execution...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we are all trying to nicely say:

STOP WORKING WITH THIS JEWELER!

it's pretty clear they aren't capable of custom making the setting you want.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
So, this is an excuse for the look changing so much (not sure if I'm buying it) but its not an excuse for the sloppy work that was
done on the ring. I'd like to say you are taking two steps forward, one step back but I dont think its that good. More like just
two steps back with no forward progress.

Do you like the DBL ring on the previous page? Its more squarish with a cushion-shaped stone. Can you show them that picture
and tell them you want it like that? Note that they are using smaller stones in the corners where the prongs are so you're not
getting a big chunk of metal there. I think you were interested in an airline. Not sure if they could throw that in without messing
it up (they should be able to but I dont know if I'd press my luck with the CAD designer or the bench.) You can ask for it and
see how the CAD turns out.

Then there is still the execution...

Thank you.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first of the new CADs - looks very pretty to my eye.

The second of the new CADs just looks like what you already have. If you're not fond of that look, you won't be fond of this look either.

But the rounded one is very pretty.

I don't mind an air line, so that's not a problem for me, but have you thought of using the cup to form a bezel setting, rather than using prongs? That would kill 2 birds with one stone and would increasingly amp up the yellow of your stone. Bezels with halo diamonds around the bezel is a classic and elegant look. A bit late in the game for suggestions, I realize, but this might make it all more doable. And I suppose you'd have to keep in mind - the edge on the first finished ring was kinda wonky, so trusting this jeweler with a bezel might be a bit of a leap..

Can I ask what your loyalty to this jeweler is? Do you feel as tho you owe him a second chance, especially given that you've worked wiht him successfully before? if so - I get that. This is where you have to decide whose feelings you want to hurt - his or yours.

I really wish you well with this and i hope you get something you love.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I like the first of the new CADs - looks very pretty to my eye.

The second of the new CADs just looks like what you already have. If you're not fond of that look, you won't be fond of this look either.

But the rounded one is very pretty.

I don't mind an air line, so that's not a problem for me, but have you thought of using the cup to form a bezel setting, rather than using prongs? That would kill 2 birds with one stone and would increasingly amp up the yellow of your stone. Bezels with halo diamonds around the bezel is a classic and elegant look. A bit late in the game for suggestions, I realize, but this might make it all more doable. And I suppose you'd have to keep in mind - the edge on the first finished ring was kinda wonky, so trusting this jeweler with a bezel might be a bit of a leap..

Can I ask what your loyalty to this jeweler is? Do you feel as tho you owe him a second chance, especially given that you've worked wiht him successfully before? if so - I get that. This is where you have to decide whose feelings you want to hurt - his or yours.

I really wish you well with this and i hope you get something you love.

Yes I thought of a bezel, but I even told my jeweler that I do not trust the bench to do a bezel setting after that ridiculous first ring they turned out. They did not even smooth it out so it was even.

I do feel loyalty to him. I know everybody is telling me to go elsewhere. He just told me today that he was not happy with the prongs on the ring either. He was not happy with the setting at all, but he said he knew I was impatient and wanted it. But I wish he had just intercepted it and told the bench that they needed to remake it instead of letting me take it out the door. He does feel confident that the ring will turn out OK. I told him today I am very apprehensive about this. He is having a wax sent to him as soon as the CAD is finished.

I almost feel foolish about posting about this anymore. I know everybody thinks I should not go with this jeweler. I guess I was hoping for some experts' advice as to what went wrong and what is going on with that cup. My jeweler admits he's never done a ring with a cup before. And I have never had a ring with a cup. So I am not sure if the cup attaches underneath to the halo? I told him I don't want the cup to show anymore because that first ring with the ridiculous thick gold around the stone looked awful.

ETA: I also don't know where the prongs are supposed to attach? I guess they are supposed to attach to the cup that is underneath?

Bianca201

Rough_Rock
Having read through this thread... the one thing that keeps jumping out to me is that it is becoming so.very.hard, having your ring created. That doesn't mean it's a bad jeweler, it just means its not the right jeweler for you, for this project.

The hard part should be your own choices (do I want prong style A or prong style B, would X look better than Y) and not whether the finished product is acceptable. The finished product should match the CAD, and should match what you asked for.

As has been said by others, time to get a refund, move on to a different jeweler who both understands what you want and can execute it.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I
Yes I thought of a bezel, but I even told my jeweler that I do not trust the bench to do a bezel setting after that ridiculous first ring they turned out. They did not even smooth it out so it was even.

I do feel loyalty to him. I know everybody is telling me to go elsewhere. He just told me today that he was not happy with the prongs on the ring either. He was not happy with the setting at all, but he said he knew I was impatient and wanted it. But I wish he had just intercepted it and told the bench that they needed to remake it instead of letting me take it out the door. He does feel confident that the ring will turn out OK. I told him today I am very apprehensive about this. He is having a wax sent to him as soon as the CAD is finished.

I almost feel foolish about posting about this anymore. I know everybody thinks I should not go with this jeweler. I guess I was hoping for some experts' advice as to what went wrong and what is going on with that cup. My jeweler admits he's never done a ring with a cup before. And I have never had a ring with a cup. So I am not sure if the cup attaches underneath to the halo? I told him I don't want the cup to show anymore because that first ring with the ridiculous thick gold around the stone looked awful.

ETA: I also don't know where the prongs are supposed to attach? I guess they are supposed to attach to the cup that is underneath?

I think that the responses you are getting on this post come from years of collective experience in regards to issues like this. From personal experience I have learned that some settings are better suited to certain benches. I know the frustration of trying to convey my ideas and wants to a bench that doesn't have the experience to complete the piece as I envisioned. I really hope that you are able to resolve this and that you end up with exactly what you want.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Add me to the chorus saying move on from this jeweler for this project. If you want to be loyal, you can use him again later for something else, something he's good at. But for this ring, go with someone who actually knows how to make THIS ring.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I

I think that the responses you are getting on this post come from years of collective experience in regards to issues like this. From personal experience I have learned that some settings are better suited to certain benches. I know the frustration of trying to convey my ideas and wants to a bench that doesn't have the experience to complete the piece as I envisioned. I really hope that you are able to resolve this and that you end up with exactly what you want.

Thank you!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He just sent me this. Better I think. Any thoughts?

N090964-C(1).jpeg N090964-C-render.jpeg

IMHO, it depends what you are trying to achieve aesthetic-wise.

If you are trying to emphasise the curves of your cushion stone, then the latest CADs had failed, and badly too, as I could see 4 straight sides separated by 4 rounded corners.

I would reject the CADs myself if I were to continue working with this bench.

DK :confused2:

Bianca201

Rough_Rock
@lizz - why are you staying with this jeweler? Maybe if you help us understand that, we can better shift the conversation to where you need us to be.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
@lizz - why are you staying with this jeweler? Maybe if you help us understand that, we can better shift the conversation to where you need us to be.

It is out of loyalty since I am ecstatic about 2 of my rings they made. This is a well-known bench, they have a huge jewelry store in Chicago. They make a lot of custom pieces. I have seen their work on social media, and it looks great.

So this will be the third setting that I have set the stone in. I already posted the first setting. This was my second setting made by David Klass. The reason I am having it reset is because I wanted to emphasize the yellow and the stone more. My stone looks pretty yellow in the below photo, but in real life, it is very washed out. It is only a U-V color after all.

IMG_3513.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh if I have read correctly, you have worked with DK before. I know it's super awkward to make a change and I, like you, have issues with confrontation etc. So I would put it as nicely as possible but I would just say that for this project you are going to go with someone else. If he has never done a cup before etc, that doesn't bode well. I do not envy your situation and I know it's tough, but as @mrs-b noted, it's either your feelings or the jewelers feelings and I would not want you to be stuck with a product you don't love in order to spare someone's feelings. :(

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I love the ring in the photo you posted today! Did you not like it?

As for a bezel, if you want one - have one. If your current jeweler can have it done to your expectations, then great! But if it's a design he doesn't have the resources ot reproduce, please don't change your setting to suit the jeweler. That is all sorts of backwards.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I love the ring in the photo you posted today! Did you not like it?

As for a bezel, if you want one - have one. If your current jeweler can have it done to your expectations, then great! But if it's a design he doesn't have the resources ot reproduce, please don't change your setting to suit the jeweler. That is all sorts of backwards.

Thank you. That's good advice. Yes, the above ring is beautiful. I lived with it for 3 years. But I have always wanted a more vivid yellow color. Listen, I don't have the money for a fancy colored 3 ct stone. So I am trying to do the next best thing.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jeweler admits he's never done a ring with a cup before. And I have never had a ring with a cup.

I think the big thing is if you want to be your jewelers (and your jewelers bench) time, experiment, and learning curve. And if they want to do the project as a R&D.

And if there is clear communication who’s got what responsibility roles for what.

The jeweler making the jump from the first ring produced, to the new cad, to an end product looking very similar to your inspo photo …..will take some time.

‘Close enough’ of that last CAD only counts if you are happy with the look of the end product. If you are - that’s great.
Tweaking the cad here isn’t going to help fab logistics the bench has to work out.

Edited to add: I missed here you said you like the square shape and are calling it your postage stamp ring. So edit the ‘looking very like your inspo photo’ to just the construction logistics.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this will be the third setting that I have set the stone in. I already posted the first setting. This was my second setting made by David Klass. The reason I am having it reset is because I wanted to emphasize the yellow and the stone more. My stone looks pretty yellow in the below photo, but in real life, it is very washed out. It is only a U-V color after all.

Do you happen to have a side photo?

Did DKJ have intent on this ring to retain some color?

I’m curious to how the basket/gallery was, that now you are making the next step to a full cup.

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
Hi @lizz

Don't feel silly, everyone here just wants you to get a well made piece and be 100% thrilled with the end result. It's easier for those of us behind the keyboard to say get a refund and walk away from this jeweler. It's harder if you're worried about burning a bridge and whether he'll fight you on a refund. But you could just tell him this went badly, so you're having second thoughts, not comfortable doing anything right now, so you just want your stone back and a refund. He doesn't need to know if you go to a different jeweler.

I am also concerned that this bench, although good for previous pieces, is not the right one for this design. I definitely like the softer CAD that follows that beautiful cushioned shape. And I agree with others that the square design just looks like the poor job they already produced. I'd also be worried that the more times your stone is set/unset, the more chance it may be damaged. So if they mess it up again, you're stuck trying to decide if you want to take that risk again.

Also, your jeweler telling you that your impatience lead to him giving you a subpar product is passive aggressive. It's NOT your fault they did a terrible job. It was also very wrong for him to approve a change in your CAD so his credibility is shot IMO.

And, lastly, so glad they are getting you the wax this time at least. If you do want to give them a chance changing CADs or pulling back at the time of the wax mold stage is TOTALLY OK. It's not too late and that's your best chance to catch issues or step away altogether of there's anything out of place.

I do hope it turns out as you hope. To sum up, TLDR, if you've got any doubts, please don't feel obligated to stay with this jeweler or this bench. You can avoid a confrontation if you just say the whole experience and the poor delivery of the first ring has given you second thoughts about what you want, decline to have any more work done, get your refund and stone back. He doesn't need to know anymore than that.

Good luck please keep us posted =)2

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Do you happen to have a side photo?

Did DKJ have intent on this ring to retain some color?

I’m curious to how the basket/gallery was, that now you are making the next step to a full cup.

Sure, here ya go. I guess it's a half cup?

It probably did boost the yellow in the ring

DKPV2021___03__02____67806____67806-4.jpeg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @lizz

Don't feel silly, everyone here just wants you to get a well made piece and be 100% thrilled with the end result. It's easier for those of us behind the keyboard to say get a refund and walk away from this jeweler. It's harder if you're worried about burning a bridge and whether he'll fight you on a refund. But you could just tell him this went badly, so you're having second thoughts, not comfortable doing anything right now, so you just want your stone back and a refund. He doesn't need to know if you go to a different jeweler.

I am also concerned that this bench, although good for previous pieces, is not the right one for this design. I definitely like the softer CAD that follows that beautiful cushioned shape. And I agree with others that the square design just looks like the poor job they already produced. I'd also be worried that the more times your stone is set/unset, the more chance it may be damaged. So if they mess it up again, you're stuck trying to decide if you want to take that risk again.

Also, your jeweler telling you that your impatience lead to him giving you a subpar product is passive aggressive. It's NOT your fault they did a terrible job. It was also very wrong for him to approve a change in your CAD so his credibility is shot IMO.

And, lastly, so glad they are getting you the wax this time at least. If you do want to give them a chance changing CADs or pulling back at the time of the wax mold stage is TOTALLY OK. It's not too late and that's your best chance to catch issues or step away altogether of there's anything out of place.

I do hope it turns out as you hope. To sum up, TLDR, if you've got any doubts, please don't feel obligated to stay with this jeweler or this bench. You can avoid a confrontation if you just say the whole experience and the poor delivery of the first ring has given you second thoughts about what you want, decline to have any more work done, get your refund and stone back. He doesn't need to know anymore than that.

Good luck please keep us posted =)2

Thanks for this long post.

So I already texted him this morning and said I was panicking and that maybe we should just leave the ring as is, shave off all that awful gold around the girdle and add prongs and call it a day. I said that I am worried what they will come up with will be bad. He said let's just wait and look at the wax. He's been in the business 40 years. So I will wait and see.

Yes. I like the square shape. I already have a cushion shaped halo ring so I thought this would be a little different. I don't want everything the same.

Trust me, I will cut and run after I see this wax if it isn't what I want. When I was leaving his jewelry store the day that I dropped off the ring with them and told them I was dissatisfied, he said he would have been really mad if I had just not said anything and had gone somewhere else to have it redesigned. I said I almost did that. I almost emailed David Klass that day. I do want to see what they will come up with. At this point, the whole thing has made me really weary. At this point, I'm like I don't even really care what the hell they come up with. I am just tired of dealing with it. And I feel bad about trusting them in the first place if they can't come up with a suitable product. I have nightmares about diamonds and settings, not even joking.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. That's good advice. Yes, the above ring is beautiful. I lived with it for 3 years. But I have always wanted a more vivid yellow color. Listen, I don't have the money for a fancy colored 3 ct stone. So I am trying to do the next best thing.

I don't have the $$ for a fancy vivid yellow 3ct diamond either. And if I did, I'd use it to put in a pool. So I dont have the money for that type of jewelry project no matter how I look at it! I had a beautiful 4+ct EC U/V (I think it was) color bezel set ring. I can't recall if I put it in a cup (pretty sure I did), but I do remember telling DKJ that I wanted it as yellow as possible, and so we did all that we could to amp up the color. To that end, I am totally Team Lizz on this!

And to that end also, I'd do a full cup with the sides coming up to form a bezel, then prong set whiter-than-white melee around it. A bezel-setting-from-the-cup won't look like a protruding cup - it will just look like a regular bezel, and that would give you the most yellow possible. If you wanted to reconsider this, I'd go back to your jeweler and see if he could communicate with his bench to ascertain whether he feels confident he could do you a clean, precise bezel. And I would be following the *precise* shape of the diamond - AS IT IS - not squaring it off, or getting creative with it, or trying to force it to fit a different shape design just because it's easier for someone. Something I've learnt in jewelry - especially rings - don't fight your center stone. Work with it as it is, and that's how you'll get the most out of it

Just regarding the melee in the halo - truth be told - I like the four prongs on the stones. But this is *purely taste* - so you do you on this.

But I would seriously consider a cup-leading-to-bezel effect. I think - done right (the big proviso!) - that will go closest to giving you what you want.

Last edited:

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have the $$ for a fancy vivid yellow 3ct diamond either. And if I did, I'd use it to put in a pool. So I dont have the money for that type of jewelry project no matter how I look at it! I had a beautiful 4+ct EC U/V (I think it was) color bezel set ring. I can't recall if I put it in a cup (pretty sure I did), but I do remember telling DKJ that I wanted it as yellow as possible, and so we did all that we could to amp up the color. To that end, I am totally Team Lizz on this!

And to that end also, I'd do a full cup with the sides coming up to form a bezel, then prong set whiter-than-white melee around it. A bezel-setting-from-the-cup won't look like a protruding cup - it will just look like a regular bezel, and that would give you the most yellow possible. If you wanted to reconsider this, I'd go back to your jeweler and see if he could communicate with his bench to ascertain whether he feels condierent he could do you a clean, precise bezel. And I would be following the *precise* shape of the diamond - AS IT IS - not squaring it off, or getting creative with it, or trying to force it to fit a different shape design just because it's easier for someone. Something I've learnt in jewelry - especially rings - don't fight your center stone. Work with it as it is, and that's how you'll get the most out of it

Just regarding the melee in the halo - truth be told - I like the four prongs on the stones. But this is *purely taste* - so you do you on this.

But I would seriously consider a cup-leading-to-bezel effect. I think - done right (the big proviso!) - that will go closest to giving you what you want.

Thank you. This is all food for thought.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for this long post.

So I already texted him this morning and said I was panicking and that maybe we should just leave the ring as is, shave off all that awful gold around the girdle and add prongs and call it a day. I said that I am worried what they will come up with will be bad. He said let's just wait and look at the wax. He's been in the business 40 years. So I will wait and see.

Yes. I like the square shape. I already have a cushion shaped halo ring so I thought this would be a little different. I don't want everything the same.

Trust me, I will cut and run after I see this wax if it isn't what I want. When I was leaving his jewelry store the day that I dropped off the ring with them and told them I was dissatisfied, he said he would have been really mad if I had just not said anything and had gone somewhere else to have it redesigned. I said I almost did that. I almost emailed David Klass that day. I do want to see what they will come up with. At this point, the whole thing has made me really weary. At this point, I'm like I don't even really care what the hell they come up with. I am just tired of dealing with it. And I feel bad about trusting them in the first place if they can't come up with a suitable product. I have nightmares about diamonds and settings, not even joking.

I understand that you are probably feeling rather beat down about the whole project at this point. Who wouldn’t be? His comment about ‘how he would have been really mad if you had left and got someone else to make the ring without saying anything to him’ really stands out to me. How does he think you felt about receiving a ring that didn’t match up to his promise? You are first and foremost the paying customer and your feelings should be his priority. If the new wax doesn’t meet your approval, don’t feel bad about contacting someone else. Tell him your vision and his don’t jive and to save both of you more angst, you would rather make a fresh start. I understand loyalty and am glad he made two other rings to your satisfaction. However, this is a different project and if it’s not jiving, then so be it. He may just want to keep trying so as not to refund you any money. Jewelry can be such an emotional thing - I would hate for this ring to be tainted for you because of the frustration.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I understand that you are probably feeling rather beat down about the whole project at this point. Who wouldn’t be? His comment about ‘how he would have been really mad if you had left and got someone else to make the ring without saying anything to him’ really stands out to me. How does he think you felt about receiving a ring that didn’t match up to his promise? You are first and foremost the paying customer and your feelings should be his priority. If the new wax doesn’t meet your approval, don’t feel bad about contacting someone else. Tell him your vision and his don’t jive and to save both of you more angst, you would rather make a fresh start. I understand loyalty and am glad he made two other rings to your satisfaction. However, this is a different project and if it’s not jiving, then so be it. He may just want to keep trying so as not to refund you any money. Jewelry can be such an emotional thing - I would hate for this ring to be tainted for you because of the frustration.

Hi, Miss Got Rocks. It appears we joined PS the same year and month!

Yes! You hit on it. And I was thinking about this the other day. This is the reason jewelry stores are in business! Sentimentality and emotion.

Showing that you love someone in a tangible way is what jewelry stores market to us. And we all have so much emotion tied to our jewelry.

This ring/stone was a 20th anniversary gift from my husband. His favorite color is yellow. I love bright, happy colors. I thought this stone would be just the ticket!

I am trying to find a forever home for this stone. And maybe a setting I finally settle on won't be its forever resting place. As a PS-er, I have bought/sold/traded rings, upgraded, changed my mind, and the madness goes on.

And I do commiserate with others when I hear stories like this. And you all may have similar stories. I know this issue is first world problems, it's not the end of the world, things will eventually resolve. But when you are in the midst of this stress, it sucks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results