shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring made wrong

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_5305.jpeg IMG_5306.jpeg IMG_5307.jpeg So instead of getting more and more upset, I just thought I would post my question here for some professsional help.

I had my local jeweler reset my yellow diamond. Well it's actually a U-V color, so I asked for a yellow gold color enhancement cup to make it appear more yellow.

The CAD is below. Needless to say, the ring looks nothing like the CAD. The prongs are horrible, they were supposed to be claw prongs. They are literally plopped onto the corners of the ring on top of the cup, soldered on. It was supposed to be shared prong like the CAD, but they did 4 prongs on all the halo diamonds. The cup is uneven. There is a gap between the halo and the cup. My jeweler had it made by a company in Chicago. He said they had to remake the cup because the stone is so thick or something.

What went wrong here? When they open on Tuesday, I plan to ask them to send it back to Chicago to have it remade correctly. I should add I have gotten 2 other rings made by this company, one a tanzanite halo ring and one a sapphire halo ring, and they both turned out perfectly. I am wondering if maybe they're not experienced with color enhancement cups?

IMG_5199.jpeg

IMG_5200.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We definitely csnt tell you what went wrong, but clearly this wasn't done very well. I agree the prongs aren't claws, and the halo doesn't seem to have shared prongs. The gap between rhe cup and halo is odd too

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
It is hard to tell in this picture because it is not close up but this is a ring with a cup that David Klass did for me. You can't even really tell that there is a cup from the top down view even though the prongs are yellow gold too. He also covered the side view part of the cup with white gold so it wouldn't show from the side view of the ring.
ring.jpeg

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
It's obviously way too squared off, looks like sharp 90° corners. Your CAD shows soft rounded corners, supposed to look like a cushion shape. It's a major change IMO. IDK how they got it so wrong but I would definitely be upset too. Probably doesn't help now, but did you receive a wax model to approve after your CAD? Hopefully others here with more project experience can offer suggestions for a resolution.

ETA BTW, it's still a beautiful ring, a lovely yellow diamond =)2 nonetheless it's not what you designed and I understand it's a big disappointment to not get what you planned and surely paid a good bit for.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What shape is your stone? Squared off like your ring or more rounded like the CAD? Either the CADs are wrong or they've done
something odd with the bezel/cup. To be honest, that's about the worse looking bezel and prongs I've seen in a long time.
What did your jeweler say to you? Have you seen it yet or just seen pics?

I think I would be asking for my money back. That ring is so far off from the CADs that I'm not sure if they know what they're
doing.

So, what shape is your stone?

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
It is hard to tell in this picture because it is not close up but this is a ring with a cup that David Klass did for me. You can't even really tell that there is a cup from the top down view even though the prongs are yellow gold too. He also covered the side view part of the cup with white gold so it wouldn't show from the side view of the ring.
ring.jpeg

That is beautiful, thanks for sharing!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
It's obviously way too squared off, looks like sharp 90° corners. Your CAD shows soft rounded corners, supposed to look like a cushion shape. It's a major change IMO. IDK how they got it so wrong but I would definitely be upset too. Probably doesn't help now, but did you receive a wax model to approve after your CAD? Hopefully others here with more project experience can offer suggestions for a resolution.

ETA BTW, it's still a beautiful ring, a lovely yellow diamond =)2 nonetheless it's not what you designed and I understand it's a big disappointment to not get what you planned and surely paid a good bit for.

Here is the original ring, the cushion is rounded off. I did not receive a wax model after my CAD. When I went to pick up my ring, the jeweler told me that the Chicago company who made the ring "had to tweak the CAD design." I don't know the reason. I felt that was something I should have approved and known about.

IMG_3760.jpeg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
What shape is your stone? Squared off like your ring or more rounded like the CAD? Either the CADs are wrong or they've done
something odd with the bezel/cup. To be honest, that's about the worse looking bezel and prongs I've seen in a long time.
What did your jeweler say to you? Have you seen it yet or just seen pics?

I think I would be asking for my money back. That ring is so far off from the CADs that I'm not sure if they know what they're
doing.

So, what shape is your stone?

It's kind of a chubby rounded corner cushion, see above pic I just posted. I picked it up and took it home but the jeweler knew I had reservations. He said if I want them to do anything over to come back in. The jeweler didn't see anything wrong with it!!

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
That is beautiful, thanks for sharing!

Thank you, just wanted to give you some ideas of what DK did for me if it helps with your redo. Your stone is lovely.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They added a donut to your ring which is not on the cads. And you can see the shape of your stone is soft and pillowy . Maybe they tried to use a stock halo and squared off your stone using the cup to fit?

One thing I will say is that the cads do show the yellow cup extending to be visible all around your central diamond. If you remake, I would ask for them to make the cup stop before the girdle. Your ring ( aside from the prongs and shape issues) looks melted and messy due to that badly polished wonky lip/rim.

The cup really does make the stone look like a fancy yellow though! So that's one positive from this!

Ouuu. I just saw your original setting. That stone is so lovely! Hope they remake it properly!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
They added a donut to your ring which is not on the cads. And you can see the shape of your stone is soft and pillowy . Maybe they tried to use a stock halo and squared off your stone using the cup to fit?

One thing I will say is that the cads do show the yellow cup extending to be visible all around your central diamond. If you remake, I would ask for them to make the cup stop before the girdle. Your ring ( aside from the prongs and shape issues) looks melted and messy due to that badly polished wonky lip/rim.

The cup really does make the stone look like a fancy yellow though! So that's one positive from this!

Ouuu. I just saw your original setting. That stone is so lovely! Hope they remake it properly!

Thanks! Yes, I knew the cup would come up to the girdle but I had no idea it would look wonky. All the cups I have seen look neat and clean. Yes, the stone does appear very yellow, which is the whole reason I had this reset.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that’s disappointing.
The quality of workmanship just isn’t there.
There shouldn’t be an air gap between the cup and diamond halo, the bezel / cup edges should be perfectly straight on the long sides and those prongs? Apart from looking nothing like the CAD they look like “after thought” blobs.
And no a thick or slightly uneven girdle shouldn’t cause workmanship problems.
I had a huge size opal bezel set, with both sides to be finished, beautifully without any issues. Its edges were uneven and of different thickness and it was Opal the guy was working with!
No excuses I’m afraid. IMG_4758.jpeg
I’d be asking for a full refund and go elsewhere because if they can’t do it right the first time, why will their second attempt be any better?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Refund time! Looks nothing like the CAD and I would not trust they can get there based on how wrong it went the first time.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Well that’s disappointing.
The quality of workmanship just isn’t there.
There shouldn’t be an air gap between the cup and diamond halo, the bezel / cup edges should be perfectly straight on the long sides and those prongs? Apart from looking nothing like the CAD they look like “after thought” blobs.
And no a thick or slightly uneven girdle shouldn’t cause workmanship problems.
I had a huge size opal bezel set, with both sides to be finished, beautifully without any issues. Its edges were uneven and of different thickness and it was Opal the guy was working with!
No excuses I’m afraid. IMG_4758.jpeg
I’d be asking for a full refund and go elsewhere because if they can’t do it right the first time, why will their second attempt be any better?

That is beautiful workmanship on that opal. Yeah I think they were out of their element on this project unfortunately. Like I said, I have 2 other rings made by them and they're flawless. Here's my sapphire ring they made and the tanzanite ring below it.

IMG_5068.jpeg IMG_5069.jpeg IMG_5070.jpeg IMG_5116.jpeg IMG_5115.jpeg IMG_0040.jpeg

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Is it just me or are there more diamonds in the actual halo than the CAD shows? I count 20 in the CAD and 26?? (although it's hard to tell in the pic because the prongs and the diamonds blend) in real-life. The CAD shows a halo diamond at the N, S, E and W points of the ring but I do not see a halo diamond centered at each of those points. I think having more diamonds in the actual halo than the CAD shows is contributing to it looking more squared off.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Is it just me or are there more diamonds in the actual halo than the CAD shows? I count 20 in the CAD and 26?? (although it's hard to tell in the pic because the prongs and the diamonds blend) in real-life. The CAD shows a halo diamond at the N, S, E and W points of the ring but I do not see a halo diamond centered at each of those points. I think having more diamonds in the actual halo than the CAD shows is contributing to it looking more squared off.

There are 2 more diamonds in the halo than the CAD shows. Why they had to alter the CAD, no one has yet explained to me.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
No expert, but it looks like they placed your stone in a stock setting and soldered a cup in there. That is a different ring and has no similarity to the CAD. Nothing adds up. They meant well, but don't have the skillset.
Refund time and send it to DK or another jeweler with the skill set to cast rings.

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
Wow, your original was stunning, what they did definitely does not look like the CAD and does not compliment the beautiful cushion shape of your stone. I agree you need a refund and to go elsewhere. I'd be sure to get a wax mold from the next jewler if you can. I find it hard to envision deigns from CADs alone, I need that 3D copy in my hand to scutinze every angle. Since this jewler didn't provide one it make me especially suspicious, as the others said, maybe the jewler set your stone in a premade or stock setting hoping you'd just accept it.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Here is the original ring, the cushion is rounded off. I did not receive a wax model after my CAD. When I went to pick up my ring, the jeweler told me that the Chicago company who made the ring "had to tweak the CAD design." I don't know the reason. I felt that was something I should have approved and known about.

IMG_3760.jpeg

Wow the stone in the new setting looks so square! I would never have guessed it’s the same stone. Agree that it needs to be redone - the bezel isn’t smooth either and has a lumpy look. I’m so sorry you have to go through this!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
No expert, but it looks like they placed your stone in a stock setting and soldered a cup in there. That is a different ring and has no similarity to the CAD. Nothing adds up. They meant well, but don't have the skillset.
Refund time and send it to DK or another jeweler with the skill set to cast rings.

I think you nailed it @ItsMainelyYou - it’s probably stock!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
ring.jpeg

Is there a thread on this ring @mustangchi?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The finished ring does not match the CADs for certain in that (a) the setting in the CADs is more oval, and (b) an air gap/line appeared to have been added to the finished ring compared with the CADs!

I would reject the finished ring myself for not being made right against the CADs.

DK :confused2:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe they tried to use a stock halo and squared off your stone using the cup to fit?

This was my first impression. It doesn't look like they made the entire ring but just put your stone in a stock setting that doesn't even look like the CAD. I wouldn't even consider giving them a second shot if the entire ring was supposed to be custom, because it certainly doesn't appear to be. I'd tell your jeweler that you want a refund as you don't trust them to be able to make your ring in line with the CAD. Then go to another vendor, perhaps DK, who can definitely make the ring you want.

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
May be beating this to death a bit now, but I also can't stop looking at how crooked the yellow cup is around your stone! The edges are completely uneven, all wonky, they couldn't even get the sides smooth and straight. It's the wrong design and poorly done wrong design, they had some nerve trying to pass this off to you, sheesh!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
May be beating this to death a bit now, but I also can't stop looking at how crooked the yellow cup is around your stone! The edges are completely uneven, all wonky, they couldn't even get the sides smooth and straight. It's the wrong design and poorly done wrong design, they had some nerve trying to pass this off to you, sheesh!

Yes, that is what I am most upset about. I am not sure how this went so wrong. I mean is it that hard to make a basket or cup to set the stone in?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clipped a picture of a beautiful cup made by DK I believe. I did not keep a picture of the top though (darn it). I'll
post anyway.

Edit ...tried to google search it and found it here but no top photo

Looks like Mark Broumand (google him) does lots of yellow cups where you can see top as well as bottom. Nicely
done yellow cups (with straight bezels) and nice prongs.

yellow cup.png

Here are a few Mark Broumand ring links

Last edited:

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I clipped a picture of a beautiful cup made by DK I believe. I did not keep a picture of the top though (darn it). I'll
post anyway.

yellow cup.png

Thank you! Yes I'm going to ask them to keep the cup underneath but not to run it in a bezel along the sides since they cannot seem to do that very well. If I keep this setting as is, but just take off the top rim of the bezel, I wonder how they would attach the prongs to the diamond. I don't really mind the airline type setting with negative space.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you ok with the square vs cushion-shaped halo like it was supposed to be? The square would be a big No for me
but its not my ring.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! Yes I'm going to ask them to keep the cup underneath but not to run it in a bezel along the sides since they cannot seem to do that very well. If I keep this setting as is, but just take off the top rim of the bezel, I wonder how they would attach the prongs to the diamond. I don't really mind the airline type setting with negative space.

I don't think you should try to re-work it in this way; keeping half of it and trying to get them to fix it. As others have said, it's so wrong that it should be a refund and you take it somewhere else. Have you broached the topic with them yet?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results