shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring made wrong

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
he said he would have been really mad if I had just not said anything and had gone somewhere else to have it redesigned.

Well this is another red flag IMO. What's he got to mad about??? He and his bench messed it up, so should have THANKED you for coming back at all, say sorry, and offer a refund (sounds like he's trying to avoid that though). NOT say he woulda been mad at you :roll::roll:Really sounds like he doesn't accept responsibility, he keeps finding sneaky ways to shift guilty feelings back to you.
Just curious, do you know why it has to be sent back to the bench that messed it up? Since it's not an in-house bench, is that the only bench he uses? Could you find a different bench and still work through this jeweler since you feel the pull for loyalty?

Again, I sincerely hope it works out and you're totally thrilled in the end. If you have any reservations, don't argue with yourself. Trust your gut.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Well this is another red flag IMO. What's he got to mad about??? He and his bench messed it up, so should have THANKED you for coming back at all, say sorry, and offer a refund. NOT say he woulda been mad at you :roll::roll:Really sounds like he doesn't accept responsibility, he keeps finding sneaky ways to shift guilty feelings back to you.
Just curious, do you know why it has to be sent back to the bench that messed it up? Since it's not an in-house bench, is that the only bench he uses? Could you find a different bench and still work through this jeweler since you feel the pull for loyalty?

Again, I sincerely hope it works out and you're totally thrilled in the end. If you have any reservations, don't argue with yourself. Trust your gut.

That is the only bench he uses. It is out of state, and he has worked with them for 40 years now. But I did already think of that-- if he used another bench, I would try that one. As far as custom rings, he does not do those himself. He does jewelry repair in his shop himself, and he has another bench in-house who is employed by him. But they do not create the rings.

I am glad you are all validating my feelings that these things he said to me are off. Needless to say, I will not be doing business with him again. It is a shame.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, we have both been around a long time! Not our first rodeos, but the longer you have been in the game, the more you hope to have a final piece that you love. I hate feeling ‘stuck’ with a person or a vendor, but it is not always easy to call it quits either. I get it. I just hope that in the final analysis, you will have a ring that you love to help celebrate that 20th anniversary!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Fingers crossed, then.
Keep us posted and we'll be honest and always look out for your best interests.
We want a happy ending and we'll help any way we can.

This is my way of hopefully bringing a little levity to the emotional weight of your decision making process, but when I first started reading this thread my mind automagically went to this.

She was only trying to help...
ht_spanish_painting_jesus_badly_restored_thg_120822_wblog.jpg

I love the Germans, they have a word for everything!
Verschlimmbesserung

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Fingers crossed, then.

This is my way of hopefully bringing a little levity to the emotional weight of your decision making process, but when I first started reading this thread my mind automagically went to this.

Verschlimmbesserung

LOL that's hilarious! Thanks for the levity.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I thought of a bezel, but I even told my jeweler that I do not trust the bench to do a bezel setting after that ridiculous first ring they turned out. They did not even smooth it out so it was even.

I do feel loyalty to him. I know everybody is telling me to go elsewhere. He just told me today that he was not happy with the prongs on the ring either. He was not happy with the setting at all, but he said he knew I was impatient and wanted it. But I wish he had just intercepted it and told the bench that they needed to remake it instead of letting me take it out the door. He does feel confident that the ring will turn out OK. I told him today I am very apprehensive about this. He is having a wax sent to him as soon as the CAD is finished.

I almost feel foolish about posting about this anymore. I know everybody thinks I should not go with this jeweler. I guess I was hoping for some experts' advice as to what went wrong and what is going on with that cup. My jeweler admits he's never done a ring with a cup before. And I have never had a ring with a cup. So I am not sure if the cup attaches underneath to the halo? I told him I don't want the cup to show anymore because that first ring with the ridiculous thick gold around the stone looked awful.

ETA: I also don't know where the prongs are supposed to attach? I guess they are supposed to attach to the cup that is underneath?

You aren’t supposed to know these things. Your jewler should know all this, and if he doesn’t, then choose someone who has made the style or ring you want before.

If you needed your car fixed and the mechanic messed it up would you go online to try and learn how to fix a car yourself so you could instruct the mechanic? I don’t think so. This situation is no different.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
You aren’t supposed to know these things. Your jewler should know all this, and if he doesn’t, then choose someone who has made the style or ring you want before.

If you needed your car fixed and the mechanic messed it up would you go online to try and learn how to fix a car yourself so you could instruct the mechanic? I don’t think so. This situation is no different.

LOL, good example!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Fingers crossed, then.

Verschlimmbesserung

There's a word I need to incorporate into my thought process.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a loyalty to this jeweler who’s made you perfect rings in the past, however the out of state bench he uses is where the magic happens or doesn’t happen. He’s putting it all on the line trusting their skill and talking you into it also. Of course he wants to keep you as a return customer and has convinced you to let him/them try again. If I were in your situation I might give him the opportunity to try again, but ONLY on condition he give a full refund if you aren’t happy again with the results. Normally once you sign off on a cad you have agreed to the exact design and you’re pretty much stuck. In your case it was so far off from the cad as to be embarrassingly amateurish. I wouldn’t have much confidence in a second attempt and I would be vary wary of what you agree to the second time around. Best of luck to you, it’s such a lovely stone.

Last edited:

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and just to clarify....my jeweler has never made a ring with a cup before. But the bench he uses has, they have made a lot of them with cups.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Screenshot_20240404_220229_Samsung Internet.jpg

You probably already noticed this but just in case: This is how they got a tight streamlined halo around a cushion; smaller diamonds behind the prongs. The prongs can then 'emerge' a bit from the halo. This only works if the diamonds are set tightly together and the size discrepancy isn't too big.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Screenshot_20240404_220229_Samsung Internet.jpg

You probably already noticed this but just in case: This is how they got a tight streamlined halo around a cushion; smaller diamonds behind the prongs. The prongs can then 'emerge' a bit from the halo. This only works if the diamonds are set tightly together and the size discrepancy isn't too big.

Yes, thank you!

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
perhaps the first two items they did that you liked were either not as 'complex', detailed, or whatever the correct description is---but this new design just isn't what they are able to execute OR they have a different bench/person attempting to make this ring (rather than the person that actually produced the first two items).

kah42

Shiny_Rock
Just checking in to see if you have any updates. I'm following along and wanting the best for you! I think this ring has the potential to be incredible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results