shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions for PSers who've sent stones to Leon

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
OK, in the past month or so I have carefully read most - and definitely skimmed *all* - of the threads with some variation of "Leon" in the title - but I still have some questions so I hope Leon veterans will be able to chime in.

I'm about to send him a loose GOG AVC. Now, we're already on awkward footing because when I first asked him for a quote over a month ago I hadn't bought the stone yet but stupidly mentioned it would probably be an AVC from GOG. Without going into details, he phoned me and I subsequently communicated with Perry for a couple weeks, who didn't have anything close to anything meeting my specs - so I ultimately went with the AVC I originally had my eye on. SO, knowing how Leon feels about AVCs from other posters and my own experience, I want to make sure I don't make any more faux pas and jeopardize the project (especially by incurring a PITA-markup! :errrr: )

So my questions:

1. Did you send a check for the "deposit" when you sent your ring?
I'm planning to do sidestones, so technically I think the work order/official quote won't happen until we choose sidestones. However, I would really love to have the ring done by Dec. 9, so I don't want to have any delays because he's waiting for my check from across the country.

2. For 3-stone or 5-stone Leon veterans: were you shocked at the prices for sidestones?
He quoted me about $3k labor for a 5-stone - I can afford a $6k setting TOTAL, but if got up to $8k that would be too high and I might have to think about alternative setting options (i.e. Singlestone would be able to make this non-pave ring for less than $6k - though I LOVE Leon's workmanship and artistic eye).

3a. Has anyone ever had to have Leon send the stone back because the project didn't work out, i.e. it went over budget or there were design differences?
Reggie's thread from earlier this year really scared me.
3b. Do I need to have a "prenup" with Leon to determine shipping protocols if something doesn't work out?

4. Did you send Leon photos of rings that you like? If so, at what point did you send them? After your first phone consultation? Before?
There are about 8 Leon rings - all very similar - with *elements* that I like - but not one that I want to copy exactly. I'm very willing to let Leon use his artistic eye to tell me what will and won't work with my stone, and to make judgment calls based on what I like (i.e. bezelled step cut sidestones). A picture is worth a thousand words, and I have annotated photos of his rings - some are different - i.e. double baguetts vs. traps and bullets. I don't trust myself to "design" my own ring - I only know what options I know I like. I don't have an "eye" for insisting on a specific design - this is why I'd prefer to have Leon make the ring. However, I'm worried if I include these pictures in the package he'll think I'm a control freak and give me a PITA-price. :devil:

Sorry for such a long post. I just like to know logistics ahead of time - so I'm a control freak in that sense - just not in the design sense!

Thanks in advance for your comments.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
You might want to also post this in the Colored Stones thread, there are a lot of Leon users over there. :wavey:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I gave Leon my deposit before I decided on the ring design.

2. For 3-stone or 5-stone Leon veterans: were you shocked at the prices for sidestones?
Ask him for an approximate quote on the side stones.

3a. Has anyone ever had to have Leon send the stone back because the project didn't work out, i.e. it went over budget or there were design differences?
You found the example above already. I find most will be able to come to a compromise with the design. Leon can always make something within the budget. I did not find him to be overly expensive.

3b. Do I need to have a "prenup" with Leon to determine shipping protocols if something doesn't work out?
No. I am sure he will return your diamond without issue. You will have to pay for shipping though.

4. Did you send Leon photos of rings that you like? If so, at what point did you send them? After your first phone consultation? Before?
I sent before so that we can reference it during the phone consultations. Leon and I frequently send several photos back and forth during our phone conversations. But we talked so much that I incurred a PITA fee.

I say .. don't worry so much and just do it.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Love Street - I have not worked with Leon (although have communicated a number of times), so take what I say with a grain of salt..
but it saddens me that someone must feel so stressed and forced to 'walk on eggshells' around their jeweller, for fear of him sabotaging or rejecting the project.
The custom experience should be interesting and rewarding..this just sounds complicated. The fact that a "PITA price" actually exists is very disappointing. When you are laying down your $$ for custom, you should have the right to ask the questions and send the photos which you feel will impact the end product, without fear of being punished.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand your motivation for seeking out others' experiences - however, it has also been shown time and again how LM can act on a whim with any one client's project - as in, there isn't much rhyme or reason to his behaviour.
My advice would be in line with Charmy's - if you really wish to continue working with Leon, try not to over-think it so much.
Use the phone instead of email, where possible. Good luck, I hope you get the ring you desire (without a PITA tax!).

Matthewmon

Rough_Rock
charmypoo did you ever post pictures of your Leon string band? I would love to see some! Thanks!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I should take some photos :)

Ruup

Rough_Rock

I spoke to him about the setting, then I sent him the diamond and then sent him a deposit. At first he was a bit funny about the AVC but I told him I didn't know he sold diamonds and the missus really liked that design so I got it for her, after that he didn't mention anything.

I don't have either so this doesn't apply. He quoted $500 more for single cut diamonds and throughout I thought he was reasonable with what he asked for.

I found his price a lot more reasonable than I thought it would be so no.

I was only ever going to get it done by him so no.

Yes I did, also to show him what I wanted and how I wanted a design on the basket and the kind of pave style and ring I liked. However my ring was quite straight forward really, I wanted http://www.artofplatinum.com/portfolio/details.php?image_id=612that ring however with double claws and that is what I got. If you want to incorporate different designs, send him and email outling everything exactly like you want and then ring him up to discuss it, will make it easier for him to understand.

There was a bit of confusion with the width of the band and I did keep changing things after agreeing but he didn't seem to get too annoyed about anything. He did say that on the wedding band not to have a single row as 2.5mm wide with a single row won't look too great so went with three rows. All throughout he was like tell me what you want and I'll do it. I asked his opinion on single and full cut diamonds, he said on the engagement ring stick with full cut as the diamonds are bigger and on the wedding band go with single cut and that is what I did. My missus wanted the wedding band thicker and the band to sparkle more.

Like I've mentioned before Leon has a bit of a harsh reputation on here but I found him to be very approachable and very good throughout and couldn't reccommend him enough.

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for chiming in and taking time to answer my lengthy questionaire!

iLander ‑ thanks for the tip about the colored stone forum ‑ I may post there too.

Charmy ‑ thank you for sharing your experience ‑ it's very helpful. Have you gotten your Leon e‑ring yet? (Your Maytal is beautiful btw)
Oooh, and please post pictures of your string band. I've already told DH I would LOVE a yellow string band for an anniversary/birthday/Xmas present one day...

Arjunajane ‑ thanks for your thoughts. I totally agree with you that it's not part of the ideal fun experience to be walking on eggshells and strategizing to minimize sabotage. On the other hand, I can give up the feel‑good experience IF it means my ring is in the hands of someone who consistently turns out amazing pieces. (I had the feel‑good experience buying my original e‑ring at Tiffany's ‑ but then after a while I ultimately didn't love the end product...) I've read carefully the posts of those whove had an unsatisfactory experience ‑ but at least there are lots experiences here with which to compare. I've visited both Singlestone and 23rd Street in considering the setting but I prefer Leon's work ‑ so I guess it's a risk I've decided to take. I just want to go into it with eyes wide open having learned from others' experiences.
Incidentally, your SMTB thread of your AVC was hugely inspiring ‑ after saving all your pics in my "favorite cushions" folder, and then seeing other AVCs come along ‑ I knew I had to have one. The photos you took of your AVC capturing all those colors were amazing!! Also helped me see just how beautiful the warmer colors are in a AVC (mine is an M too!).

Ruup ‑ thanks again for sharing and taking the time ‑ I know I bugged you in your other thread about this. I probably need to be ready with some response when he questions my AVC ‑ but honestly it came down to 1) I only wanted an AVC and 2) the only stone Perry had in the size I wanted was higher in color and clarity than I needed, and thus over $6k more than I paid for my AVC. Maybe I'll go with #2 as my response. :rolleyes:

Anyway ‑ thank you guys again for sharing.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
buyer beware: get everything in writing.

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
bgray said:
buyer beware: get everything in writing.

Thanks bgray - I remember from my reading that you alluded to a Leon experience that was less than satisfactory - I'm sorry :sick: It often - but not always - does seem like when someone has an unhappy experience, it's because something wasn't addressed in the work order. Now, part of the problem might be that the customer wouldn't know exactly what to include in the work order. For example, before Boom's saga I would never have thought to include a note about "airline" vs "no airline" for a halo - I would think that if there is a choice of features it would be presented.

With a 5-stone work order, I know I will probably need to discuss shank width, sidestones, prongs vs. bezels, double vs single... but is there anything I'm not including? Center stone height?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Leon frequently recommends halos for cushions (especially smaller ones). I would guess around 4 to 5 K. Melee is cheap so having the diamonds go only half way around won't make much difference.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Love Street said:
Charmy ‑ thank you for sharing your experience ‑ it's very helpful. Have you gotten your Leon e‑ring yet? (Your Maytal is beautiful btw)
Oooh, and please post pictures of your string band. I've already told DH I would LOVE a yellow string band for an anniversary/birthday/Xmas present one day...

I don't want to scare you but I guess I have to come clean. I went to NYC to pick up my e-ring and wedding band. The e-ring was not made to what we have discussed. He is remaking the ring and I will get it when it is ready. The ring he did make is a more expensive one and was very nice as well .. but I had something in mind and I didn't want to accept something else. I agree that it is important to get everything in writing and that the work order is crystal clear.

The string band is fine. I have been too busy at work to participate much on PS lately. Haven't had time to take photos of it.

PS: thank you for posting my comment back in the right thread. I was wondering where that post went :razz:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I guess the time has come for me to share my Leon story. :nono: Many of you have seen the pictures of the beautiful Mahenge spinel ring created for me by Jewels by Erica Grace. That mounting was actually my "second try" at having the stone set. I initally decided on a beautiful Leon five stone with two vertical baguettes flanking each side of the spinel. I'll include the story with the OP's bolded questions as they follow along nicely.

No, although I did send my stone to him right away. He told me I could send the deposit along with a signed copy of the agreed upon work order after we had finalized our design and he had sourced sidestones.

It was Rachel I conversed/emailed with primarily. I sent pictures of the desired ring for them to give me a verbal quote and to begin sourcing side stones. It was several weeks before I was sent pictures of the chosen stones. They were completely the WRONG SHAPE for the design I chose. It seems (even though I sent the model number and pictures of Leon's previous ring: Widget's spess) they had chosen a pair of half moons and bullets. It took two emails and a phone call directly to Rachel to straighten them out. When, after another wait of 2+ weeks, they sent an email with the new stones, they quoted me a fairly reasonable price. However, they told me that the stones didn't match perfectly. They would have to recut one of them before adding it to the ring, but they wouldn't charge "extra" for that.

Well, while I waited for the work order to arrive by email, I began becoming concerned about coming up with the balance of the $$ for the final payment. Personal and family related issues arose, and some of the items I'd hoped to sell to raise the funds were not moving. This occured over the 4th of July holiday. About a week later Rachel emailed saying she hadn't received the work order or the deposit. I replied that I had not sent it yet as I was worried about scheduling the final payment. I was informed that since the 14 day window had expired since the quote, the work order would have to be rewritten and would likely come out higher.

Well, this gave me a bad feeling in my guy, since they were obviously counting in the 4th as part of the 2 week window, but they were never in any hurry to get back to me in a timely fashion. So all things taken into consideration I decided to cancel the project. It was then I was told that they didn't think they could return the sourced sidestones and I would be responsible for the full cost of those whether or not I decided to continue the project. I strongly stated that I didn't think that was right! Rachel "offered" to talk to Leon about it. Her return call gave me two options: purchase the sidestones (at full price) and keep them for later, or pay half the cost of the stones and Leon would keep them in his inventory, crediting me should I ever decide to use them to complete the project.

Once I swallowed my pride I decided to pay half the balance of the stones, and asked to have my spinel sent back to me. Rachael then quoted me a charge of $353 to have my stone sent back. I FLIPPED AT THE COST!!! She said that $247 was for the stones and $106 was to send my stone back with $7000 insurace coverage. My stone was only valued at $750! When I calculated on their very own websites engine I came up with $60.74 for delivery. They wouldn't release the stone until I paid the $106. I finally go my stone back, sulked on my loss of $353 with nothing at all to show for it!

I sent photos of the stone I had, the ring I wanted, my stone photoshopped into the ring I wanted, and it still got screwed up, drawn out, and then I was extorted to get my stone back.

I don't know why this happened to me. I found Leon himself very pleasnant to deal with on the phone. But I believe Rachael guards him like a Doberman, and I can't help but believe that she is the originator of many of the difficulties customers encounter.

The true ending to my story is that I have an amazing ring, created in a 3 week turn around, with impeccible workmanship, and I cannot imagine my lovely stone in a more perfect home. I'm sorry to share a story of doom and gloom. I've been sitting on this experience for a while not knowing if I even really wanted to share it. I'm not a Debbie Downer type, nor am I what I believe a difficult client. It just didn't work for us. I hope you find the perfect route to go for your beautiful ring!! That's what it should be about, enjoying our beautiful sparklies with all of our eyes, brain, and heart!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
:-o Uppy, I am so very sorry. I don't even know where these people think they get off with that kind of BS,
holding your freakin stone hostage and charging you for diamonds that you will likely never own??!!

I'm sorry, but the whole operation just boils my blood. I am officially in the 'never will go there' camp.

Love Street said:
Thanks so much for chiming in and taking time to answer my lengthy questionaire!

Arjunajane ‑ thanks for your thoughts. I totally agree with you that it's not part of the ideal fun experience to be walking on eggshells and strategizing to minimize sabotage. On the other hand, I can give up the feel‑good experience IF it means my ring is in the hands of someone who consistently turns out amazing pieces. (I had the feel‑good experience buying my original e‑ring at Tiffany's ‑ but then after a while I ultimately didn't love the end product...) I've read carefully the posts of those whove had an unsatisfactory experience ‑ but at least there are lots experiences here with which to compare. I've visited both Singlestone and 23rd Street in considering the setting but I prefer Leon's work ‑ so I guess it's a risk I've decided to take. I just want to go into it with eyes wide open having learned from others' experiences.
Incidentally, your SMTB thread of your AVC was hugely inspiring ‑ after saving all your pics in my "favorite cushions" folder, and then seeing other AVCs come along ‑ I knew I had to have one. The photos you took of your AVC capturing all those colors were amazing!! Also helped me see just how beautiful the warmer colors are in a AVC (mine is an M too!).

Hey Lovestreet,
I'm really glad my thread inspired you to purchase an M AVC! You will love that stone for sure. I really do hope your experience with Leon goes smoothly - as you say, for every negative thread there are many who have a good experience.

Their behaviour is past my personal tolerance, but if its not for you than that's all that matters.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
my experiences have been pretty disappointing. i was excoriated here on Pricescope some time back for criticizing LM --as a favored son-- and havent said anything more until now. I had him make a ring that was far more expensive than I was told it would be with bigger stones than requested and lacking other things specifically requested. It was resolved--pleasantly but tensely. I tried again more than once and could not get anything in writing so I declined to move forward.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo said:
I sent before so that we can reference it during the phone consultations. Leon and I frequently send several photos back and forth during our phone conversations. But we talked so much that I incurred a PITA fee.
a Pain In The Ass fee??... :confused:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire said:
CharmyPoo said:
a Pain In The a$$ fee??... :confused:
That's it, DF. Leon has a tendency to up the price for people that require more than a couple of emails. We affectionately refer to it as the PITA fee.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arjunajane said:
Don't get me wrong, I completely understand your motivation for seeking out others' experiences - however, it has also been shown time and again how LM can act on a whim with any one client's project - as in, there isn't much rhyme or reason to his behaviour.
My advice would be in line with Charmy's - if you really wish to continue working with Leon, try not to over-think it so much.
Use the phone instead of email, where possible. Good luck, I hope you get the ring you desire (without a PITA tax!).
i never understood why a customer has the take his B.S.,if i was his customer i'd expect him to make the setting the way i wanted.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire said:
i never understood why a customer has the take his B.S.,if i was his customer i'd expect him to make the setting the way i wanted.

And he does - Leon makes what you ask him to make but he will share his thoughts. It is up to the customer to hold their ground or give in to his opinion. If you are a popular vendor and don't need the business, you can be more picky about the projects you take and the price you want to charge. It is up to them what type of reputation they want to develop.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Upgradable
Once I swallowed my pride I decided to pay half the balance of the stones, and asked to have my spinel sent back to me. Rachael then quoted me a charge of $353 to have my stone sent back. I FLIPPED AT THE COST!!! She said that $247 was for the stones and $106 was to send my stone back with $7000 insurace coverage. My stone was only valued at $750! When I calculated on their very own websites engine I came up with $60.74 for delivery. They wouldn't release the stone until I paid the $106. I finally go my stone back, sulked on my loss of $353 with nothing at all to show for it!

[/quote]
:-o ... :nono:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
bgray said:
my experiences have been pretty disappointing. i was excoriated here on Pricescope some time back for criticizing LM --as a favored son-- and havent said anything more until now. I had him make a ring that was far more expensive than I was told it would be with bigger stones than requested and lacking other things specifically requested. It was resolved--pleasantly but tensely. I tried again more than once and could not get anything in writing so I declined to move forward.

Oh Bgray, if one of those was me, I'm so sorry. I think once I implied that anyone who has difficulties with Leon's process must have done the "rules of engagement" wrong. And that's just not true at all. So again, sorry if I was one of those who caused you not to post about your experience. :oops:

I guess I can sound a lot like a cheerleader for Leon. I am hopelessly in love with his artistry/designs, execution, and proportions. I've had a wonderful experience, felt well taken care of by Perry, Rachel, and Leon and been given incredible deals on main stones. Then again, I am probably the easiest customer ever because I leave the design about 98% within his suggestions. I've told Leon what my budget was, and he was always very clear with me about what it would take to stay in those perimeters. And my ring, the finished product, is a wonder to behold. It stops me in my tracks on a daily basis. I feel like for jewelry, I don't want to go anywhere else. I feel like I'm buying a Tiffany from Mr. Tiffany in 1920.

But none of this matters if you'd had a bad experience. And it doesn't mitigate bad communications and ridiculous fees. Unlike GOG, who bends over backwards to do what ever it takes for the client, Leon is about Leon first. You and CCL and AJ totally and understandably feel like whatever he may be able to produce is not worth the potential and real hassles and eggshells. I get it. I'm glad you posted about your experiences again. I can't wait for my next project with him to be finished and I drool whenever a new Leon get posted to the forums. But client beware: read all posts, have an initial conversation with him to sense if your getting what you want in design, cost, main stones, and customer service.

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
Uppy - OMG ;( I'm so sorry you had to go through that nightmare :nono: I can't believe put you between such a rock and a hard place, between the extra stones and holding your stone hostage. Ugh - more to think about. I'm contemplating a 5 or even 7 stone ring - so I hate to think of what I might be on the hook for if something goes wrong. This is good to know. Thank you for sharing what I'm sure are not pleasant memories of your experience. I saw the pics of your JBEG-set spinel and it is just GORGEOUS. I'm glad your story has a happy ending, but what an ordeal.

Charmy - Wow - I'm so sorry Leon did not make your e-ring the way you had wanted it. :nono: ;( I'm sorry you have to wait even longer for it, but I'm glad he is remaking it (gratis I hope...?) Do you think the PITA-fee was Leon making a more expensive ring after all? And what types of elements should be in writing that potential customers might not be aware of?

bgray - I know - I think I remember which thread that was in. Since this is a consumer forum, I like to hear everyone's experience, good and bad. I know that each story has two sides, but I feel that I can take consumers' experiences for what their worth and add them to my equation when I balance out my needs/desires/risk tolerance, etc. I hate to see the defensiveness that sometimes pops up regarding certain vendors - everyone's experience is unique to them, and people should not be excoriated for posting their own experience.

MissyDebby - thanks for chiming in. I know you've had great experiences with Leon so far (with beautiful results) - and you're right, you're probably his ideal client since you give him artistic freedom and let him source your stones! I hope things keep going smoothly for you.

AJ - I LOVE my M AVC - I have had it for 3 weeks now and I love the character it has in different lighting, the huge rainbows in the facets, just everything about it. And the fact that it's an M allowed me to get a much bigger diamond than I ever thought possible (when I was considering upgrading 18 mos ago, I was planning to get a cushion from Mark, but was really hesitant about his upgrade policies, and how I would have to get an I-color or higher to be eligible for his upgrade, and required me to get a smaller diamond than I truly wanted when I knew I was ok with warmer colors). And doing business with GOG was sooooo easy and drama free.

DF - Yeah. PITA-fee. I keep remembering one thread about Leon pricing wherein a PSer who worked in large-scale contracting mentioned how, analogous to Leon, sometimes they would "wag a number" at a walk-in who asked for a price on a small item, depending on what they thought they could get from them. I know that's how a lot of business goes down, so I'm trying to mitigate PITA-pricing/finger wagging based on what type of a consumer I seem like. If I include my deposit check with my stone, will I seem over eager and willing to have a Leon at any price? If I include some photos with my stone will I seem like a PITA control freak? If I act all casual and just give him a budget and say "do X" is that neutral enough to get a reasonable price? ARGH! :shock: :???: :confused:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I can tell from this an other threads that I'd never have Leon do anything for me. Sure, his stuff is nice, but he's far from the only talented one around. I'm not going to give my money to anyone who treats me like I can't call or email as often as necessary, or charges me extra because I do. There's no way I'm going to walk on eggshells around a vendor.

I recently had a completely custom pendant made and every bit of the communication was done via email. I probably traded 50 emails with Joe tweaking a little bit here and a little bit there until what I wanted came to be. No once did he or anyone at WF treat me like I was anything like a valued customer or make me feel like I was bothering them. The only time the cost of the project went up was when both sides agreed I should choose a slightly larger center stone than I already had. If I'd chosen to go smaller on the top stone to get the same effect they were cool with that too. They'll be making my next project also, because they treat me with kindness and respect.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
See but that's totally the thing... you don't go, should never go to Leon if you want to tweak tweak tweak. Don't misunderstand - I'm not saying that's wrong at all! Sometimes what you are going for is an image in your head and you want the jeweler to bring that image to life, in a strong and beautiful manner.

I think Leon is a guy you go to if you look at his site and can't imagine anything else being on your finger, and you are willing to let him take control of the design process because you love the pieces on his site so much that you are willing to defer to his sense of design. TOTALLY not for everyone.

Let me give an example of my give and take with him. Project 1: my ering. Sent in a request for a quote for
http://www.artofplatinum.com/portfolio/details.php?image_id=416

With a picture and stats of a stone I had on hold from James Allen:
F%20VS1%20.91.jpg

Got an email back for the quote. Gave him a call. We talked about the design and how my center stone might not accomodate 3 marquise on each side. We got to talking about the stone and I mentioned that I just had it on hold and had not made the decision yet. He was adamant that if I bought it already I should not return it, that he wasn't trying to steal their business, when I asked him what he thought of the shape of that stone for my design. (side note: this is why I think he has a bug up his ass more for GOG stones, and I have no idea why... and yet he sets plenty of them. I see tons of posts with AVCs in Leon settings) He said though that he'd chose a different shaped stone for that ring. I said I wasn't married to that stone and he said to give Perry a call to see what they could source. I called Perry and told him I wanted a chunky flashy cushion, around a carat, D to F, no lower than VS2. I said I'd totally go lower carat if they had something awesome as a D IF (cause at that time I had been in awe of that pedigree :lol: ) He said that he had two beautiful stones in house that fit that. 2 days later, he sent many photos, the prices, and the reports for these 2 stones (D IF .91 on the Left, E VS2 1.01 on the Right)

My%20Cushion%20on%20the%20right.jpg

A few days later after that, I called back to discuss. The D IF was more expensive. They did not try to push that. I fell in love with the E VS2. I felt trusting of stones that they had picked to be in house, knew this would work with my project, and did not need ASETS or video, which is def not the way of many a PSer! I paid for the stone.

When they received the money for my stone, I called Leon for another chat. We discussed the ring I had picked. Then he asked if I would like to hear about what design came to his mind when he looked at my stone, which he had in front of him. Since I like the idea of building the ring around the stone to fit it's individual character, I told him i was all ears. He told me about a load of french cuts he had ordered a year before to get cut and that had just come in. He said they looked gorgeous next to my cushion. I was intrigued and totally open to changing my initial design (which wasn't that hard for me considering that I was torn between like 5 designs anyway). A few days later I got this photo from Perry with the line up:

my%20ring%20layout%20good%20size.jpg

And Leon told me to look at this ring to get an idea of the structure:

http://www.artofplatinum.com/portfolio/details.php?image_id=582&mode=search

And I decided to go for it! I got the finished quote and called back to ask about a few more things. The first is that I have really knobby knuckles and I concerned about the ring spinning. I was wondering about putting in his "patented" anti spin thingies in my ring. he said he could do it but it would affect the design. So instead we agreed that I would send him my wedding band so he could get the size perfect. We also considered hidden interior gems, but I ended up deciding against them. Earlier I had told him that price limit but gave him the ok to go over if he needed to add an extra french cut or two to make the stones into a half eternity. Then they sent the final work order, I signed and that was that. When I got back to the States, I paid the rest of the total and received my rings in the package. They had totally re-beautified my little half eternity wedding band by getting the shape back into round and polishing at no extra charge.

You can follow the progress of my second ring in my other thread. But essentially it's the same. Asked for a quote on a ring. Ended up getting a beautiful, amazingly priced center stone that would work for that particular design from him. Had more conversation... talking about what the ring means to me and what the different elements represent. Him going over different options and relative cost. Him asking if I want to hear his ideas on a different design element. Me being totally into it and now I'm waiting for some sketches and some photos.

But then again, I've been known to go into expensive but super awesome hair salons (in my prime youngin days) find a great stylist and say cut it however you want (as long as it at least hits my shoulders)... do your thing and just make it beautiful.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Just want to add:

I totally get you on what you're saying Adelain. There's a thread going on right now of a poor OP who has had a terrible time with Van Craeynest messing up her beautiful demantoid garnet while setting it. In short, they are totally giveing her the run around and when I read that topice, I declared i would never buy from them based on their behavior... so I can see it from the other side as well. I guess if you want a Van Craeynest and nothing else will do, then you keep that in mind when you place your order - what you've heard from someone else's experience. Same with Leon.

But I think I'm gonna shut up now. I hate coming off as a cheerleader. I'm not trying to be. If anything, I'm just super enthusiastic about his work because I think it's in a league of it's own and I want everyone who wants one to get one cause his rings just make you melt. but I get that that's just my crazy heart talking...

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
missydebby said:
J

But I think I'm gonna shut up now. I hate coming off as a cheerleader. I'm not trying to be. If anything, I'm just super enthusiastic about his work because I think it's in a league of it's own and I want everyone who wants one to get one cause his rings just make you melt. but I get that that's just my crazy heart talking...

I've been reading all the threads I can find about Leon and people's interactions with him, and personally I don't think there's anything wrong with being a Leon "cheerleader," if that has been your experience with him. I sincerely hope that that continues to be your experience with him, missydebby (although at least a couple of posters on PS had wonderful experiences with him until, suddenly.....they didn't.)

But, and this is not directed in any way at missydebby, I find it really disturbing that anyone on PS would feel that they are being silenced, and that their experiences with any vendor, good or bad, might result in being excoriated. I've read a few of those threads, and they are pretty horrifying, IMO.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone post the links to the other threads that you mentioned. I can't find them.

Again, just want to say if I inadvertently stepped on anyone's toes regarding their experiences, I want to say I'm sorry. I really think I may have, and that's not cool. :oops:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
missydebby said:
Can anyone post the links to the other threads that you mentioned. I can't find them.

Unfortunately, the new search feature makes it hard to find those links. After seeing some of LM's work, most recently babynurse's gorgeous green, I started reading everything I could about people's experiences with him, and found most of the threads by links inserted in other threads. The links were usually posted in response to someone asking a question about working with Leon, and someone else would refer to "Pricescoper's name," and then I'd look up all the topics under that PS forum ID. It took forever, but was extremely illuminating! If someone posted about a bad, or upsetting experience with LM, inevitably, at some point in the thread, someone would imply(or heck, sometimes they'd just come out and say it) that the person who had had a negative experience must have somehow brought it on themselves. Which actually left me wondering if there are a lot more negative experiences out there that PS'ers aren't posting about, because they don't feel like facing the backlash.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Interesting.

I too had a bad experience with Leon. I don't want to go into it, suffice it to say that I went with another PS vendor instead. The ring is now on it's way.

Just thought I'd add another voice to the not-cool experiences. Would I try with Leon again? Maybe. But only if I didn't think anyone else could execute what I wanted. I fully expect a rougher ride with him, than with any other vendor. I would not work with him if I had a deadline, or if I wanted to change a design as I went, or if I had a strict budget, or I wanted my rings to sit flush. I wouldn't want the hassle, personally.

With a big budget, artistic freedom, large stone, low setting, intricate pave work, pre-existing design? Yeah, I might have another go. Please note that this is my personal view only.
Caveat emptor.

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
Rosetta - I'm aoeey to hear about your experiences, but thank you for mentioning it. I also worry with the amount of defensiveness on PS in the past whether it has caused some people to remain silent about their negative experience - or perhaps it's just not wanting to relive an unpleasant experience, which I can totally understand.

ITA with everything Aoife has been saying - obviously also a Leon research buff. MissyDebby, the ones that I've noticed that are Leon-specific are from the past - nothing that you've said or anything, that I've noticed! And FWIW I really enjoy hearing about the details of your project and communications with Leon; thank you for posting the nuts and bolts of your experience here btw. I think it's fine to cheerlead since you've had such good experiences with him so far. What happened in the past is that some people would post about less than stellar experiences and get jumped on by others. And this is also true:
Aoife said:
(although at least a couple of posters on PS had wonderful experiences with him until, suddenly.....they didn't.).

The threads are somewhat difficult to find. I literally did a search for "Leon" or LM" in the title - resulted in 22 pages - and I read almost everything. I didn't bookmark most of them, but here are a few I could remember off the top of my head:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-review.90859/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-review.90859/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ellens-leon-story-has-me-thinking.91034/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ellens-leon-story-has-me-thinking.91034/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-owners-did-you-get-a-lm-box.91450/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-owners-did-you-get-a-lm-box.91450/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/at-last-crookedrocks-ring.86381/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/at-last-crookedrocks-ring.86381/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-custom-setting-and-honest-opinions-please.125928/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-custom-setting-and-honest-opinions-please.125928/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-no-soup-for-you.106649/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-no-soup-for-you.106649/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-%E2%80%93-what-just-happened-and-why.136502/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-%E2%80%93-what-just-happened-and-why.136502/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-appointment-with-leon-mege.95202/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-appointment-with-leon-mege.95202/[/URL]

ETA: it's true some of those are older, but I don't discount them. I have been on and off PS since 2003 and I know there have been more than just the above. That said, for every unhappy experience there are lots of happy SMTB threads. My purpose in starting this thread has been to go into the process absolutely as prepared as possible, knowing how easily things can go awry - and I sincerely appreciate everyone who has posted their unpleasant experiences for others to learn from or heed as warnings. I also appreciate the positive experiences because those are enlightening as well - hints of how different people have intereacted with him, or differences between projects, etc. So a huge THANK YOU to everyone who has taken the time to share their Leon experiences over the years - it's definitely a service to the consumer community.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results