shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon Mege – what just happened and why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reggie

Rough_Rock
I’m not sure if any of you remember me but a few weeks ago I was asking for anyone’s advice on which cushion I should buy. You can find that thread here. I ended up buying the august vintage cushion 1.04 H VS2.

Early last week I had my diamond sent to Leon Mege directly from Good Old Gold. Last Thursday Leon via Rachael (one of his associates) sent me the official work order. The quote on the work order was more than I was initially told and subsequently budgeted for therefore I will not be able to afford my ring made by him.

As of today my diamond has been returned to GOG although that was an adventure in itself.

If anyone is ever in the market to buy this halo setting from Leon I was ultimately quoted 5k in labor. (Melee weight section quoted $1100 per carat in addition to labor for all melee work but did not give an estimated weight so it was probably included in labor price???) This setting is a 2 star price based on his 5 star price ratings.

I have explained the reason why I ended up breaking my anticipate budget below. After that I have explained how I tried to have my diamond returned to GOG.

I do apologize that this post will be so long but I wanted it to be in detail so if anyone on this forum ever starts to have this situation happen to them they know what to expect. Hopefully other potential customers can learn how to deal with the situation differently next time. I do have a couple questions regarding the quote and shipping procedures which I ask later on. Please feel free to chime in on any of those questions.

reggie

Rough_Rock
Getting the quotes:

When I initially contacted Leon late last month via email I told him I was thinking about buying a 1.5-2 ct sapphire and having it placed in an exact replica of the ring I just linked to all of you before. He told me to call him, I did and he said the price would be 4-5k for the setting but it all depends on when he sees the stone. I told him that 5k would be a on the high side of my budget and I wouldn’t be able to afford the setting. I also said that I was hoping it was no more than 4k but if that’s what it costs then that’s what it costs. (I initially told him I wanted to spend 8k for everything. 4k Sapphire plus 4k setting) I even mentioned it was a 2 star setting so I anticipated before contacting him that it would be more affordable but he said you can’t rely on those ratings.

He then said he could source me a 1 ct diamond cushion if I would be interested in a cushion diamond instead. He said that would bring down the price of the setting but I would still be over my total budget. He told me over the phone the price would be $8800. He also emailed me that same price including the GIA report and a regular picture of the diamond. The $8800 price included that exact setting and a 1.01ct E VS2 6.49 x 5.96 x3.86 cushion. Because he sent me the GIA report I was able to find this diamond available to buy online from Abazias using pricescope’s search function (comparing all the measurements, finish ratings , percentages, etc) and found out its retail price was $5100.

I emailed him back saying I wanted a more square proportioned cushion so he sent me another GIA report of a different cushion (1ct F VS2 6.51x6.41x3.5) with a new price of just the diamond itself. I was again able to find that exact diamond online priced at $4800. Because I knew his price and the retail price I able to figure out the discounts he was giving me on these cushions. He asked me not to disclose what his selling prices were so I will honor that. I will say that it wasn’t so much of a discount that the setting would be anywhere close to 5k.

I emailed him that I thought I would not be able to determine if these cushions were what I wanted just by the GIA reports or a photo so I would try to see if I could find a vendor to supply me a cushion and that I would get back to him ASAP.

Thinking about the pro’s and con’s of buying a sapphire vs. a diamond I decided to up my center stone budget so I could get a 1 ct cushion diamond as Leon suggested. I initially thought a 1 ct diamond would not be possible price wise as I was familiar with round prices not cushions. That’s why I was thinking about a sapphire even though I knew it can take forever to find a good one.

At this point I emailed GOG and ERD. GOG emailed me links to a few cushions that fit my criteria. ERD did not get back to me after three tries using email and their contact form. (They ended up contacting me last Friday and told me they had a virus attack their server and they just now repaired the problem) I then posted GOG’s suggested cushions on pricescope to get some feedback from everyone.

After I sourced an av cushion from GOG I emailed Leon asking for an official quote taking into account my recently purchased cushion. I did not hear back from him so I called him two days later. I asked him if he could give me a more accurate quote as I am now in ownership of a diamond and I can give him any information he needed. He said he did not want to do that because he didn’t want to have to do double the work (a quote using what I told him over the phone and then a new quote the next day or two once he received the diamond). I told him ok, that seemed fair and I arranged to have the diamond sent to him.

One day after he had received the diamond I was sent a work order by email. The setting was priced at 5k for labor (and maybe additional $$$ for the melee work but at that point I was over budget and it didn’t matter).

The whole time during this process I was budgeting 4k. 4.5k if I have too. 5k I will figure something else out. I arranged funds with my bank accordingly.

The dimensions of the av cushion I purchased were 5.96 x 5.86 x 3.99. It has a smaller circumference of the two diamonds quoted by Leon. You would think in theory it would be the same cost if not less for the price of the halo around my av cushion compared to what was initially quoted with the other cushions. Does the more pronounce table of the av cushion add an extra expense to the setting as opposed to a regularly cut cushion? How small of a cushion do you think Leon anticipated me purchasing so I would have fallen into my originally stated budget of 4k? A 1.5-2ct sapphire was getting the 5k max quote. How can a 1 ct av cushion have a 5k minimum? Are diamonds more expensive to set than sapphires?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I understand you're frustrated because the work order fee came in higher than the quote. However a quote is a quote and most are usually contingent upon inspection of your stone and further clarification of your needs as a customer and specs, so I'm not surprised that the amount changed. Be thankful that you learned about the change in price before they started working on your ring. In addition, nowhere in your post did you recount your experience with shipping, yet you complained about that as well. Please provide more details.

ETA: apologies, I just saw your other post.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a little confused. You were always quoted between 4-5k. So how is that different now? Isn't that the same thing he quoted you now?

Lots of things change including his schedule and metal prices. My guess is that is why it is on the higher end. Leon has also been known for pricing higher for projects he isn't super interested in. He's an artist and does what he wants since he has enough business I guess.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering the same thing, you were quoted between 4-5k so what am I missing?

reggie

Rough_Rock
Shipping the diamond back to GOG:

Once I received the official quote from Leon and realizing I could not afford it I called GOG to make sure I could return my diamond. They said I could as I was still within my 30 day grace period. They then offered to call Leon and set up having the diamond sent back to them. I declined that offer as I still hadn’t told Leon I wouldn’t be able to work with him. They gave me a number I could pass on to Leon so they could help organize having my diamond sent back to them. I then emailed Rachael (she emailed me the quote for Leon) saying I appreciated the fact that your company tried to work something out with me but because of the price I wouldn’t be able to have your company make me a ring. I included GOG’s number saying they could arrange shipping the diamond back and asked her to call or email me if she had any questions. She wrote me back and said that I needed to call them and talk to Leon.

I called Leon and he is the one who answered the phone. He asked for my reference number, I gave it to him and then he asked me why I was calling. I said Rachael asked me to give you a call. He said he didn’t know why. I said I didn’t either but I was sorry that I wouldn’t be able to get a setting from him for that price as it was over my budget. I will need to have the diamond sent back to GOG.

He then remembered me and he said oh yes you are the one with the small cushion. I said yes and then wondered to myself how small is that diamond as I never did end up seeing it in person. He then said yes the quote is different from earlier but this is how much it costs for this particular diamond. I said I understood, I am sorry to hear that and it is what it is. I’m not calling you to be upset about the price if that’s what you’re concerned about. My only concern now is how do I ship the diamond back to GOG?

He then told me that Rachael isn’t calling anyone and I shouldn’t have asked her to do that. I said ok, what do you suggest I do then? He told me I am the one who sent the diamond to him so it was my responsibility to come pick it up and that he wasn’t calling anyone for me to do that. I told him ok I will try to figure something out and we said goodbye.

I then called GOG and told them the situation. Thankfully GOG worked some magic and got the diamond back on my behalf. I am thankful for this as I live a few thousand miles away and it would have been somewhat difficult to have to pick up the diamond myself. I would like to publicly acknowledge how truly gratefully I am for Vicky (sp?) and Jon at Good Old Gold helping me out.

When someone does send a diamond to a setter but the diamond doesn’t end up being used how does the owner of the diamond normally ship it back to where it came from? Am I really suppose to pick it up personally and all ties with that setter now cease to exist? Or does the setter, in my case Leon, help organize the shipping? Someone has to package the diamond back up and contact a shipper. I could have figured out a way to contact a shipper but I don’t think that company would have packaged it up for me as well. What are the standard shipping procedures on these types of situations? I can’t be the first person this type of situation has ever happened too.

Thank you for your time in reading this and I’m sorry this post is beyond the length of normal posting etiquette.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
The return shipping did sound like a nightmare. He should of handled it better.

But you knew going in that the quote could have gone up to 5k but you based everything on a quote no higher than 4.5k- even keeping or returing the diamond, that part I don't get.. Why not just get another setting?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 2:20:27 PM
Author: reggie

He then told me that Rachael isn't calling anyone and I shouldn't have asked her to do that. I said ok, what do you suggest I do then? He told me I am the one who sent the diamond to him so it was my responsibility to come pick it up and that he wasn't calling anyone for me to do that. I told him ok I will try to figure something out and we said goodbye.
You're joking, right?
No reputable business owner would treat anyone THAT badly, even with a cancelled order.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sadly nothing surprises me with him anymore. I am sorry he''s given you such a rough time about the return shipping.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, I''m sorry it didn''t work out.
8.gif
I too am wondering why didn''t you pick a different, cheaper setting?

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry that things didn''t work out. You obviously put alot of energy in this project.... Check out ERD to see if a similar setting could be done for 4k or under. Good luck :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The shipping thing was ridiculous for sure. But like the others I am confused about the cost issue.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm not surprised based on other reviews and experiences some have had with Leon. But, just curious as to why you didn't just work with him on making a few design changes to possibly put the setting into your pricerange? and why are you returning the diamond? that setting you wanted is gorgeous but I"m sure Leon could have simplified it a bit to bring the price down. I'm so sorry for all your trouble though...that's a bummer.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another example as to why I will never use Leon.

reggie

Rough_Rock
The 4-5k price was quoted on a larger sized sapphire (1.5-2ct).

When he was willing to buy me a cushion the setting cost 4k. When I purchased a diamond on my own of equal size it cost 5k for labor. I really don't think the cost of the melee was included in the labor as I was quote a cost per carat amount but just to make things simple I wasn't going to make a case about it with all of you.

I told him my setting budget was 4k. He then suggested I go a different route to fit in that budget. (1ct diamond instead of a 1.5-2 ct sapphire). The two diamonds he wanted to source me computed out as being having a ~4k setting.

I am honestly not upset that it came in at 5k. It is what it is. I just wanted to know what other people thoughts were as the reason why the price differences. That's why my questions have been narrowly focused on only that.

This setting was the one my girlfriend wanted if I was going to get something from Leon. If it didn't work out I would take business else ware. I am not the person who gets emotional about things like this. If it worked out great if not ok I will find something else.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Reggie- the discount if you had bought the cushion from him was because he was making money on selling you the diamond. Many times a jeweler will discount a setting if you purchase the stone from them. Common practice.
I am sorry it didn''t work out for you guys, but I''m still curious as to why you didn''t keep the diamond?
Did you only want a cushion for that particular setting?

reggie

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 2:31:46 PM
Author: kenny

Date: 2/16/2010 2:20:27 PM

He then told me that Rachael isn''t calling anyone and I shouldn''t have asked her to do that. I said ok, what do you suggest I do then? He told me I am the one who sent the diamond to him so it was my responsibility to come pick it up and that he wasn''t calling anyone for me to do that. I told him ok I will try to figure something out and we said goodbye.
You''re joking, right?
No reputable business owner would treat anyone THAT badly, even with a cancelled order.
No joke. That is what was said. I have never done a ring purchase online nor have I ever bought a diamond at one place and have it sent someplace else to be set. As far as I knew what he was telling me was protocol. That’s why I got off the phone rather easy with him. I knew he could be temperamental so I thought he was just getting to the point. Not that the final result of his point wasn’t up to standard.

Before I called GOG back I was thinking what in the world did I get myself into? I bank wired for the diamond and now it with someone I don’t even know. I have zero protection if anything happens to this thing.

No one has answered my questions but I get from your replies that this is not how it’s done? I agree that the response was not exceptional customer service but is he required to help with the shipping? I honestly just would like someone give me a clue as to what is the norm. I never thought I should have had to ask Leon before I sent him the diamond what the return policy was but you can bet I am asking the next person I ever work with.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Reggie, I''m still confused why you didn''t keep the GOG diamond. And I agree, try ERD, they are just across the street from Leon.
Maybe a courier service could have helped you transport the stone.

reggie

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 3:40:31 PM
Author: elle_chris
Reggie- the discount if you had bought the cushion from him was because he was making money on selling you the diamond. Many times a jeweler will discount a setting if you purchase the stone from them. Common practice.
I am sorry it didn't work out for you guys, but I'm still curious as to why you didn't keep the diamond?
Did you only want a cushion for that particular setting?
It looks like Leon just changed his website fairly recently but as of a few weeks ago anyone was able to look at lot of different kind of diamonds on his website and get a quote based on them. That has since been removed. On the same page of those diamonds he said that he is not in the business to make money on the diamonds. He will sell them to you at cost. I have found other threads that have reference that same thing so I know I’m not imagining it.

Now, maybe Leon said one thing on his website and actually did something different. But I took what he said on his website as face value.

He did give me a quote of a diamond and I could find that same diamond online that was a little bit more money. We aren’t talking thousands here. I know what % he was able to take off the top for me.

Leon has a new page on his site that I think replaced the search function for diamonds. According to this his particular strength is antique cushions if anyone is curious and is in the market for one.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like it was poorly handled and full of misunderstanding on both ends.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nothing suprises me. Some times he''s reasonable, other times he could care less what you say. I would talk to Mark at ERD for sure.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Reggie-I posted yesterday about Leon''s new ad for antique cushions asking for expert opinions as to how it compared to the AV. No answers so far.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 2:12:02 PM
Getting the quotes:

When I initially contacted Leon late last month via email I told him I was thinking about buying a 1.5-2 ct sapphire and having it placed in an exact replica of the ring I just linked to all of you before. He told me to call him, I did and he said the price would be 4-5k for the setting but it all depends on when he sees the stone. I told him that 5k would be a on the high side of my budget and I wouldn’t be able to afford the setting. I also said that I was hoping it was no more than 4k but if that’s what it costs then that’s what it costs. (I initially told him I wanted to spend 8k for everything. 4k Sapphire plus 4k setting) I even mentioned it was a 2 star setting so I anticipated before contacting him that it would be more affordable but he said you can’t rely on those ratings.
You could have stopped right there because the rest of your post is just your wishing and hoping that the quote would be on the low end, and it turned out to be on the high end. Either way, the quote was within the initial verbal estimate by Leon.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 4:23:44 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I didn''t read the whole thread, so sorry if I missed any pertinent details. I would skip Leon and have Whiteflash make the ring for you. Here''s a thread with a Leon side by side with a Whiteflash. Both are lovely, and Whiteflash will be more affordable.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whiteflash-swala-double-halo-ring.136356/

Also mention you''re a Pricescoper.
I must admit though .. a Leon is still a Leon. You can always recognize the outstanding quality.

I am going to try to see him this week and I am so excited I can''t wait. He has been nice to me so far even though I cancelled my appointment with him several times due to work.

Reggie - best of luck in getting your diamond set. You can try ERD, WhiteFlash, BGD .. or even GOG since they have the diamond. All of them do cad and cast so you can''t expect a handmade quality ring like that of Leon.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 3:29:12 PM
The 4-5k price was quoted on a larger sized sapphire (1.5-2ct).
Sapphires are often smaller than diamonds (face up vs. their carat weight). If he quoted 4K (approx?) for a 1ct diamond *sold by him* --- that doesn''t necessarily mean he''ll set ANY 1ct stone for that same price.

Sorry you had such trouble about the shipping and possible misunderstandings with the pricing. It seems its a bit of a bait & switch for Leon too, no? He thought he''d been contracted to make something & then found out he a) wasn''t getting the job but b) had to facilitate getting the stone back to you for basically a $500 difference on a $8800 purchase?

Did you think you were negotiating & he''d be more apt to *bend* a bit once the stone was in hand?

reggie

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 3:54:58 PM
Author: bebe
Reggie, I'm still confused why you didn't keep the GOG diamond. And I agree, try ERD, they are just across the street from Leon.
Maybe a courier service could have helped you transport the stone.
bebe - I bought that diamond because I thought it would look best for that particular setting. I thought Leon was one of the best for making that style of setting. Because that setting was for a cushion I picked the av cushion because I thought it was one of the best for that style of cut.

Without a setting I have no need for the diamond. I know that sounds cold but it’s not meant to be cruel or rude. I have talked to Jon about this and I hope I was able to portray the reasons why I didn’t need the diamond any more.

When I find a new setting I will find the perfect diamond to go with it. If it’s a cushion that’s needed then GOG’s av cushion will be right on the top of the list.

But because of what has gone down I feel very paranoid to buy another diamond and have it shipped to a setter. I think I should get the diamond and setting all in the same place. Until I know what setting I want I would like to get all my money back and start over again. I feel like I just need to take a step back and start the process over again.

For all that GOG has done to help me get my diamond back I do feel like they are getting the raw end of the stick from me as I have returned the cushion. I do know that if they weren’t located in the same general vicinity as Leon I would have totally been hosed. GOG went above and beyond bailing me out of this situation. I do hope that if anyone is ever on the fence of what place they should buy a diamond from please realize that GOG will have your back if things go sideways. My example is living proof of that.

decodelighted - I did not think I would negotiate with him. I just asked to have my diamond returned.

purrfectpear - The verbal quote was not for a 1ct cushion. I told him that I only wanted to pay 4k for the setting and he gave me suggestions to get into that budget. Thank you for your input though as I know what you are getting at.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure why you cancelled for the price difference since it was within the range that he initially quoted? Agree that there could have been better communication about returning the stone, but perhaps there was an assumption that there was a green light on this purchase since a quote and a range was already given. I''m also not sure why you didn''t just modify the setting to make it cheaper?? It does sort of sound like you expected a lower quote once the stone was in his hands.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Reggie, my point is now that he''s selling an "antique cushion" of his own maybe he was trying to get you to switch to his cushion cut. Maybe her doesn''t want to set any other cushion.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am confused - wasn''t this an ering? I don''t think you should give up on the whole thing just because the setting is more than you want to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results