shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions for PSers who've sent stones to Leon

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
You know, I wonder if Leon has Aspergers Syndrome. I mean, a lot of very technical/creative geniuses are in this spectrum. And they pull off the most amazing things but they blow it socially.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know about Aspergers. Maybe he is just a diva :bigsmile:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1289069341|2756949 said:
I wonder how helpful Leon would be if someone had to return their piece for repair. That was always something that concerned me when I was considering having him make my ring.

Actually, this is what I'm worried about. I don't want to have to send a ring back to the states, in particular not back to Leon. I would be worried he would throw a hissy fit and not repair it. And claim that I had not worn it with due care.

How common is it for large stones to become loose in platinum claws? I still prefer his work for another larger stone project, but the stories are so off putting.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
What with the Jekyll and Hyde stories, I wonder if he's bipolar.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rosetta it is very common for pave to fall out of delicate pieces and it is also relatively common for prongs to require tightening. I have read such stories from many many people on PS and it does not seem vendro specific. High quality melee will need replacing less often, but how you wear the ring will matter a lot, and even the best will likely need replaceing sometimes. I think this is what you have to accept when you buy pave. Maintenance is just part of buying jewelry and pave especially. (of course this is separate from general poor quality in the workmanship). This reason alone is why I would prefer to work with a jeweler who has great after care. With pave, I would be hesitant to order from a company in another country, personally, because it would make the maintenance more challenging as well unless you have a local jeweler you trust for that type of work too. And also, it is a good idea to have a local jewler whom you trust for simpler things like prong tightening and cleaning.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo|1289078015|2757026 said:
I find that it is difficult to judge workshop until you have seen a variety of pieces in person. There are lots of jewellers that do great work but few match up to Leon's capability in terms of the lines, curves and delicacy of his pieces. Of course - he does great pave but I actually think his pave work can be matched. I have also seen a range of quality from Leon just based on pictures through PS - some pieces are beyond outstanding and others are just average.

Of the jewelers mentioned, the only one I personally feel is compareable is 23rd Street Jewelers but they are not a good option for people needing to work remotely. In fact, I dare say whoever 23rd Street Jewelers uses as their bench for some pieces (they have several) is even better than Leon. I haven't seen Mark Patternson or Steven Kirsh or Ocean's work in person so I can't compare. I would also love to work with Ocean one day since she is just so nice but I haven't seen enough of her work to make a call if she compares to "Leon's" work.

My point is - despite everything that is being said here. I still have not heard a proven jeweler that does work comperable to Leon in terms of pave, delicate, etc.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but, Charmy if you don't mind answering, I'm curious why you didn't also include Maytal Hannah as comparable to Leon (she was one of the jewelers mentioned)? I soooooo adore your Maytal Hannah halo ring and, IMHO, it looks just as spectacular as any Leon halos I've seen on here. Just curious as she's one of the 2 or 3 jewelers I'm considering using for my setting upgrade-- mainly based on seeing pics of your ring. :)

Also, why wouldn't you recommend using 23rd St. Jewelers remotely?

Thanks! :)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1289097700|2757211 said:
Rosetta it is very common for pave to fall out of delicate pieces and it is also relatively common for prongs to require tightening. I have read such stories from many many people on PS and it does not seem vendro specific. High quality melee will need replacing less often, but how you wear the ring will matter a lot, and even the best will likely need replaceing sometimes. I think this is what you have to accept when you buy pave. Maintenance is just part of buying jewelry and pave especially. (of course this is separate from general poor quality in the workmanship). This reason alone is why I would prefer to work with a jeweler who has great after care. With pave, I would be hesitant to order from a company in another country, personally, because it would make the maintenance more challenging as well unless you have a local jeweler you trust for that type of work too. And also, it is a good idea to have a local jewler whom you trust for simpler things like prong tightening and cleaning.

Thanks for the info dreamer. My biggest issue is the shooing back and forth to Leon that may eventually be required. I would be happy to ship to say BGD, but it seems Leon involves another level of stress. I'm still chewing over it, as I would really love a coloured stone set by him.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
LALove|1289103626|2757280 said:
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but, Charmy if you don't mind answering, I'm curious why you didn't also include Maytal Hannah as comparable to Leon (she was one of the jewelers mentioned)? I soooooo adore your Maytal Hannah halo ring and, IMHO, it looks just as spectacular as any Leon halos I've seen on here. Just curious as she's one of the 2 or 3 jewelers I'm considering using for my setting upgrade-- mainly based on seeing pics of your ring. :)

Maytal is really easy to work with and really nice. Her bench does good work but also has a style very different from Leon's shop. I found that her shop excels in designs with straight lines but designs with curves is not the same as Leon. I adore my Halo ring from Maytal and she really executed my instructions to the tee. Maytal is not a fan of the super delicate rings but she will make them if you ask.

23rd Street Jewelers does not respond to emails and does not follow-up. I went to visit them in person and they were really nice but zero follow-up based on what we discussed. I emailed them about 7 times and they never responded once. Yes, I could have picked up the phone but decided that it wasn't worth it. I told them when I met them in person that they really should respond to emails and they claim they do. I have heard others with the same experience. Their prices are also higher than other jewelers while lacking the knowledge of other PS vendors. They don't seem to understand diamonds - as an ex, kept insisting that a modified cushion brillant was a "chunky" style cushion.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo|1289135591|2757399 said:

Maytal is really easy to work with and really nice. Her bench does good work but also has a style very different from Leon's shop. I found that her shop excels in designs with straight lines but designs with curves is not the same as Leon. I adore my Halo ring from Maytal and she really executed my instructions to the tee. Maytal is not a fan of the super delicate rings but she will make them if you ask.

23rd Street Jewelers does not respond to emails and does not follow-up. I went to visit them in person and they were really nice but zero follow-up based on what we discussed. I emailed them about 7 times and they never responded once. Yes, I could have picked up the phone but decided that it wasn't worth it. I told them when I met them in person that they really should respond to emails and they claim they do. I have heard others with the same experience. Their prices are also higher than other jewelers while lacking the knowledge of other PS vendors. They don't seem to understand diamonds - as an ex, kept insisting that a modified cushion brillant was a "chunky" style cushion.

Oh ok- good to know about Maytal. It's also good to know she's nice and easy to work with. If I'm spending $$$, I personally want great service.

Also good to know about 23rd st! Based on all the info I've gathered so far, if I decide to go handmade I'll use either Maytal or Ocean. If I decide to go with a CAD design, I'll go either BGD or DBL.

Thank you for the info! :)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
LALove|1289139430|2757429 said:
Oh ok- good to know about Maytal. It's also good to know she's nice and easy to work with. If I'm spending $$$, I personally want great service.

Also good to know about 23rd st! Based on all the info I've gathered so far, if I decide to go handmade I'll use either Maytal or Ocean. If I decide to go with a CAD design, I'll go either BGD or DBL.

Thank you for the info! :)

My two cents ...

Handmade
I still believe Leon is a good option. I did not have a smooth sailing journey but I will still go back to Leon for future projects. In fact, I still gave him another project even after a disappointing visit. I found that he is willing to make things right. His style may be a bit odd but I do believe he has the right intentions. I must admit I was nervous when I first contacted him but my experience did not warrant the "fear" that PS instilled. Can his service compare to Ocean, JbEG and WF - no ... but I am also not convinced that they can make the pieces that Leon can (I am really picky and the lines/curves are just different). I will still go to Leon for complex, delicate or curvy pieces. Despite what everyone is saying, I just haven't seen anything comperable (other than 23rd Street Jewelers but their service is even worse than Leon).

A benefit with Ocean is that she is really responsive and does CAD images for you to visualize the design. I really would like to work with Ocean one day if the price is right. Based on my limited interactions, I found her prices to be slightly higher than Maytal's but slightly lower than Leons - however, like with all handmade pieces .. the variances in prices are a bit hard to judge and you will have to get individual quotes once you nail down a design.

CAD/CAST
I would absolutely consider ERD, JbEG and WF over the choices you identified. I found ERD and WF prices to be more competitive. Based on my experience, BGD was much higher if you aren't selecting something from their stock designs. WF's service is as good as or even better than BGD (I have been a huge fan of BGD and have recommended lots of friends there but my last encounter left me double thinking). I know you will ask so I will answer it first - I was not pleased that BGD insisted the other quotes I received were lower because I was going with a subpar vendor who was giving me a stock piece. I was dealing with WF and Leon so by no stretch of imagination are they shady or trying to trick me. I am not a newbie to custom work so I know what I am getting.

I have purchased from Mark at ERD and received excellent prices - based on the work I have seen, I am comfortable using him for CAD/CAST pieces. ERD uses different benches depending on the project so you can ask for his top bench. He also values PS members and understand the "advertising" he gets through here so you may receive a more competitive price.

I absolutely adored my interactions with JbEG and would love to work with them one day. Of all the vendors mentioned, I found Erica to be kind, considerate, thoughtful and really took the time to understand what you were looking for. She knows the brand name jewelery out there and will do research. I have been very pleased with the work I have seen from them on PS. Unfortunately (or fortunately), for the project I was getting quotes for - Leon actually came out cheaper.

I have no experience with DBL and have not seen enough of their custom work to make any judgement. I don't think many PSers go to him for custom work. Based on what I have seen on PS, their thinking does not match mine.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
1289078015|2757026"]

[/quote]

Obviously I'm not Charmy Poo and I see she has answered your question, but as someone who has worked with 23rd Street remotely, I thought I would answer as well. I know of at least one other PSer (I believe LadyAmythyst69) who has done the same with good results. I agree that email is not the most effective way to communicate with them, at least initially, which is definitely not ideal and a bit peculiar in this day and age. I have been in the store many times (I used to live in LA) and was so impressed with the quality of their merchandise that I decided to just pick up the phone when I didn't get a response to my email. As someone already mentioned, they have several different bench jewelers working for them depending on the nature of the project and I think they're all very talented. That said, there is one jeweler who makes their very delicate/intricate pave and I have truly never seen anything like it in my life. These pieces are truly, truly works of art. I believe each one takes 3 months to make because of the level of detail. Just amazing and stunning! My ring is not made by this person as there is no pave in my design, but if I wanted that type of design, I would be inclined to at least check them out by picking up the phone. I am quite sure they would be more expensive than Leon or any of the other jewelers mentioned here, but I do think that one particular jeweler might turn out a superior product.

Having said ALL that, I know there have been some personnel changes since I had my ring made 2 years ago and I have not been as impressed with the service ever since. I haven't been there or spoken with anyone for at least a year, so perhaps it's changed again, but the person who helped me with my ring is no longer there and she was awesome! The two remaining salespeople I last worked with were not nearly as knowledgable and did not inspire the same level of confidence. If I were to work with them again, I might be inclined to ask to work with the owners.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought I would chime in having been there done that. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

ETA I wanted to say that I also have a ring made by Maytal and, to my eye, my 23rd Street ring seems to be of superior quality in terms of lines, polish, and symmetry. That said, Maytal is probably easier to work with remotely, especially if you're not entirely sure of what you want.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Charmy and kennedy - thank u both so much for the detailed info-- very helpful!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, I'd like to recommend Singlestone as well.. their pieces are very delicate and they have many intricate vintage styled pieces. Their prices are actually a little cheaper than 23rd Street Jewelers and comparable to Leon's (they are also handmade).

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I see a much admired Leon piece is now on sale with jewels by erica grace.

It looks like the same piece that was made as ananniversary piece for a PSers wife.

Bit strange

I may be entirely wrong of course

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1289204215|2758151 said:

It looks like the same piece that was made as ananniversary piece for a PSers wife.

Bit strange

Rosetta, it's not strange at all. Life happens and there are legitimate reasons.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Oh that's a shame. It's a great piece. Hope it goes to a good home (I so would if I had the spare cash!)

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock

Bit strange

I may be entirely wrong of course[/quote

Hey Rosetta girl! Here's what I noticed on that listing:

QUOTE - The setting is a classic Leon Mege solitaire, which had been altered from its original to have the stone sit slightly higher on the finger. UNQUOTE

Maybe that's why. I think that if I wanted something really simple, I'd go with any of the other jewelers. Leon's for the complicated things or if you want side stones with the proportions that Leon seems to get just right.

You guys know what, when I was doing my project, I was seriously considering buying the white, yellow and white Leon pre-worn eternity ring being sold now on the site that cannot be mentioned. I decided against cause I'm not gonna wear that on the same finger as I want to wear my new project on. But in fact I still want it. :naughty:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Hi missD!

I was talking about the fabulous east west set yellow oval with pave actually.

Maybe it's only on the sneak peak newsletter only, and hasn't reached the website yet. It is simply divine! :love:

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom|1289222526|2758206 said:

Bit strange

Rosetta, it's not strange at all. Life happens and there are legitimate reasons.

Agreed! He spent much time deciding on this and putting it together. :(( Praying for the best for him.........

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results