shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Fairy Dust Please for my Mom.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

koko

Shiny_Rock
May you find peace during this difficult time. Thoughts and prayers are with you, Pam

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the hugs and the encouragement everyone. We're home now. But the we had a conversation with the Chief after she exited the operating room... she had other commitments in the hospital to attend to, and stopped by to talk to us.

She said that they aren't going as high up on the neck as Dr.Hyde had suggested when we met with him on Monday. They only fused up to the two vertabrea above the original anchor.

They apparently had much consultation on this and the theory they are working under is that the original surgery failed because in addition to the osteoporosis the fact that my mother's back had been curved following her accident a few years ago (fell down a flight of stairs cracked vertebra... which is what caused the original curve the the first surgery was meant to fix) and had 'gotten used to being that way' and that original surgery was too tight a correction-- made her back too straight, and that her body (stubbornly used to being curved) resisted, causing the anchor hooks to come out and causing the fractures and the turtle neck thing that was threatening my mom's airway. So I have no idea about the validity of this theory. But it was the one offered by way of explanation.

SO they were afraid to fuse her neck to far up, to straighten the whole back again too far, because they want to avoid the same result... her body forcing it's way back.. being unable to because of the titanium, and fracturing bone to achieve it's goals instead. And that if they DID fuse too high on the neck, IF their theory was correct, and fractures occurred, they would happen at a riskier location. So she's going to be slightly turtled even after this.Forgot to ask her if she remains turtled... won't it just get worse again as she ages. Will have to remember to do that.

I did ask her what was being done to prevent the new anchors ( C 7 I think) from slipping and she said they have added extra wire reinforcement. Plus the halo will hopefully allow that anchor to heal in, and allow some fusing to occur while she is immobilized so that will hopefully also help.

They are cement filling the lowest vertebra, the one in her lower back, and fusing one below that. To fix that problem.

The Neurosurgeon attending didn't observe any nerve damage to any of the major and nerves, so they don't expect any paralysis. But obviously can't comment completely on any nerve damage etc. until after they check her over the next few days.

But that was... an hour ago, and there were still two hours left to the end of the surgery.

Then she's most likely going to be in recovery till morning, as they aren't sure the regular floors will be staffed enough to move her at 2 or 3 am.

We came home as my step dad is there with her and he insisted, especially as I will need to stay there tomorrow night, and John tomorrow day.

But the Chief's personality didn't raise any huge alarms from me. She wasn't self congratulatory or anything. She was, for a surgeon, empathetic and answered all my questions patiently.

So now, I'm just waiting to hear she's out of surgery. Distracting myself. That's this hours update.

Thanks guys. You're keeping me sane.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
sounds like good news so far.
prayers continue.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. Got another update. Doctor won''t finish till after 11. Then she''s going to recovery. Then ICU. Step dad is going home after he sees her in recovery, as he won''t be able to stay with her in ICU. The Chief didn''t thing think she''d need ICU when we talked to her at 8... so the blood pressure''s gone back up. On the plus side she will be in highly regulated environment until morning. So, that''s good, I''m focusing on that. Probably won''t have another update till she''s out.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gypsy. I am thinking of you and your mother. I am sending mega PS good luck wishes your way.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you honey. I really appreciate it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
checking in, prayers continue.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''ve been wonderful Storm. How are you feeling, by the way. I''ve been so wrapped up in my ''stuff'' that I''ve been blind to all else.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just called the Recovery Room. She''s still in surgery. Now they are expecting her to get out at 1:00 and go straight into ICU to stay on a respirator till ... they didn''t say. I''m so scared.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mom's out and in ICU. Nurse there was singularly unhelpful in letting me know a) why ICU was needed, when it wasn't with her first surgery AND when the Chief, at 8:00pm, totally thought that ICU wasn't going to be required, and b) what took so freaking long.

Step-dad was drowsy. He had already gone home, when they told us earlier that she'd be going direct to ICU and staying there. The doctors talked to him but all the gave him was a vague response about the timing of it all, and that she's doing fine. Which we all know could be complete BS. Plus step dad has been known to 'shield' me from unpleasant news, so he's not entirely trustworthy.

Nurse also had no idea why ventilator was required, or how long it would be in. Or how long she would be in ICU.

But she gave me the creeps because it was like she was purposely being vague. Like she knew something but it wasn't her place to say it, or something. Of course that could be late night paranoia.

Gonna wake up in the AM and start the process of getting answers from these people. Dr's office is first on my list.

Stupid freaking Mandatory training. I want to be there at 7 am. So that I can get these people pinned down in person DARN IT.

My step dad is useless, he's easily cowed, fooled by people of authority. John can't get there till noon. ARGH. Good night all.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hang in there Gypsy - prayers and good thoughts continue for you and your Mom
emrose.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2007 2:34:53 AM
Author: Gypsy
Just called the Recovery Room. She''s still in surgery. Now they are expecting her to get out at 1:00 and go straight into ICU to stay on a respirator till ... they didn''t say. I''m so scared.
Prayers continue this morning.
That is not uncommon for long surgeries.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2007 4:39:15 AM
Author: Lorelei
Hang in there Gypsy - prayers and good thoughts continue for you and your Mom
emrose.gif
Yes, what she said Gyps.

console2.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
You''re doing so well looking after your mom, but remember to look after yourself too.

((((((((BIG HUGS))))))

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
It''s not too uncommon for a very long surgery, like Storm said. The respirator is slightly worrisome. But her body may just need the extra help for a day or two to heal itself.

Hugs! Try to remember to eat and sleep a little if you can.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,

Prayers coming your way for your mother. Special hugs for you. Please keep us updated.

Love to you,

Linda

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy honey - still sending good thoughts your way and your mom''s. I know its tough, but I''m sure that with the chief supervising the case now they won''t do anything that isn''t in your mom''s best interest, and its possible that the respirator and the ICU is just being extra-cautious. I''ll hope for you guys that that is the case.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. Just had a REALLY good talk, aired stuff out, and got full disclosure from Dr. Jekyl (who I'm just going got call Dr.J from now on). Apparently he had relayed a good bit of this to my step dad... who I was right, chose to keep me in the dark to protect me. Drives me nuts, literally as he just doesn't get me. Plus "I'm the husband" man had control issues. But then, who doesn't. I explained this family 'quirk" to Dr. J and he said in the future he will keep me informed himself of anything and gave me his pager and cell and told me to call him anytime.

Here's the lowdown.

Mom is intibated because her neck and throat are swollen from the operation, as they did fuse into her neck. the ventilator was for last night, but they've turned it down this morning and she's breathing largely on her own. They will take th tube out today or tomorrow. But don't want to take it out unless they know they won't need it again, because with the halo, it makes it difficult for them to put the tube back in.

I think the reason he made self-agrandizing statements like "You know I'm the only one at this hospital who could have done this right?" and " Both the Chief and Neurosurgeon said they've never seen such fine work," and so on was that he was feeling defensive and under attack. SO maybe it's not ALL his ego, he's just trying (in a way that needs some imporvement) to let me know that it's jut not his opinion that it went well, since I seem to be questioning his opinion, but that other's agreed.

In about a week she's going to need another surgery. This one was a posterior fusion again, which means they go in only from the back. Next weeks is going to be focused on that fractured, broken bone at the bottom of her spine/lower back and is going to be an anterior one, meaning they will go in from the front. But it will be small procedure in comparison to this one, and they will only have to make a small ish incision so that he can go it and bind the bones from another direction.

So, I'm much more at peace. I was given leave at work to leave early from second day of the training, as it will be repeated in November, and I can just take the second day then. I hadn't gotten any information at that point was was visibly upset and frustrated... and the HR woman gave me a hug, told me she would make it right with my manager and sent me home. I've been here stewing, waiting for JOhn to return from his appointments so we could drive up together, and I'm exhaused (didn't sleep) and he doesn'want me to drive up to SF alone.

SO... we're going to the hospital soon. And I'll get to see her. Very relieved.

Thank you all for the strength and encouragement you've given me. The process isn't over, but at least I'm feeling better about her doctor, and the care she is receiving.

BIG HUGS TO ALL OF YOU!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, sounds like good news all around, for the most part! Good to hear.

Hang in there, and get some rest, you don't want to get run down!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
sounds like things are looking up
prayers continue.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww, Gypsy, that is good news; I have had you guys in my prayers. Keep us posted and glad the doc is going to keep you in the loop; I will take a Gypsy hug any day!!! Take care and do something nice for yourself
9.gif

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Wow, sounds like pretty good news.
My thoughts are still with you and your family, I know you are still stressed (I know I would be!). Please try to take care of yourself during this time as well. No need to go and get sick
2.gif

Hope all keeps getting better for you!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I''ve been all but absent on most threads longer than a few posts, so I didn''t realize this was happening, but I''m praying for your mom and her speedy recovery.

Also praying for you to have peace and calm during this stressful time.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear the good news, Gypsy. I hope she continues to get better and better. Don''t forget to take a breather for you, too.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy:

I've been following this thread and your posts from the beginning.
So glad to see that things are going well (even if only incrementally).
I hope that continues and your mom's recovery is speedy and eventually complete.
I'll continue to come back regularly to read your updates.
Know that you have the entire PS community pulling for your mom.
Keep the faith. You've been amazing throughout this ordeal, keep strong.
You, your mom and your entire family are in my prayers.
I'm looking forward to hearing positive news from you the next time you post.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
You''re getting there, slowly but surely. Stay strong. *hug*

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
*** HUGS ***

I know how frightening all this can be.
Hang in there woman.

Prayers coming your way from MD!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I''m just catching this thread now.....

.......sending lots of positive and healing thoughts to you and your Mom Gypsy!!!
emhot.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, you''ve been in my thoughts today. I''m here and listening (reading anyway), just wanted you to know that. I sat through my dad''s 14 hour surgery a couple years ago and knitted an entirely too long scarf, the wait was torture but the surgical team and other staff member were pretty good about keeping us updated. This is a really tough time, and I know it will be hard to see your mom intubated and on a respirator and all the other fun stuff attached to her body to aid her in recovery in ICU. You are a strong woman and you''ll be strong for her, though. Sorry that your stepdad was protecting you by withholding some info, my parents didn''t tell me or DH until we were on our honeymoon that my dad had cancer and he had to have extensive surgery (that was the first round) two days after our wedding...they didn''t want us to postpone anything but I was very upset at first when I figured out that they had purposely withheld that info. I understand, but looking back I can''t say whether I would have been better off knowing or not.

Anyway, huge hugs back to you and you have all my support, I wish I''d had PS and a laptop or crackberry a few years ago, but knitting helped, lol! Take care, Gypsy! Wishing your mom the best, she''s in good hands even though they may be a little egotistical.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still with you Gypsy!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results