shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Fairy Dust Please for my Mom.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Oh Gypsy. So sorry to hear this.
15.gif
Hope some of the PS''ers suggestions help.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry to hear about what your mom is going through.. she must be under a lot of agony. I hope things will all work out well and she will recover soon. Lots of fairy dust for your mom...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh Gypsy, your poor mom! Sendings lots of magical fairy dust her way!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Gypsy, I''m sorry to hear what''s been happening with your mom. I have no words of wisdom but I''m thinking of you and your family...

Zoe

E B

Ideal_Rock
Tons of healing fairy dust to your Mom, Gypsy!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
oh, Gypsy, I am so very sorry for what you are going through. The Dr. Hyde thing is pretty common from other''s posts, and I have to say I dealt with it myself last year when dealing with my father''s doctor. It''s so hard to get treated like that when you need compassion, not arrogance. I think more surgeons are this way than other types of doctors for some reason (this is just my experience). However, it is maddening and makes me so very angry as well!
29.gif

I actually tried the patience advocate route at the hospital we were dealing with, but unless I wanted to file a formal complaint against him, she couldn''t help me. Which was really unfortunate, because I thought they were supposed to help the patient deal with problems with their care and problems with communication, not just complaints. Ugh. I wasn''t ready to file a formal complaint against him, as I thought my father would be still receiving care under this doctor and I didn''t want to tick him off too much. My father has since switched doctors and now has someone much, much better.

To be honest, if he messed this up so bad and seems so nonchalant about her condition, if he touches her again and messes it up even more, you''ll be in the same boat but worse. I would talk to the higher ups in the hospital, and explain that you are very hesitant to have him work on her again. He''s obviously ticked off that someone caught his mistake, and he doesn''t like being called out on it. He doesn''t sound like he''s even interested in fixing it. Doctors like this absolutely positively do not like to be told they are wrong about anything. Once they see you as complaining, asking too many questions, etc. they shut you off completely. Sounds like this is what happened to you and your mom.

If I were you I''d do everything I could to research doctors in this specialty and try to find someone else. If you need to file a malpractice suit, so be it. This needs to be taken care of because your mom can''t live like this. Also, you can view doctor''s backgrounds online so do your research. It is public knowledge in our state so I''m sure you can find it in yours.

I''ll be sending good vibes your way that this resolves soon and your mom gets the surgery she needs from a competent, caring doctor. Stay strong and deep breaths! Keep us posted!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, my heart goes out to your mother, who has already suffered so very much. I hope that there is indeed a "good" solution and that your mom''s condition can be improved. Big hugs outgoing.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, sending lots of positive thoughts and kind wishes your mom''s (and your!) way.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. Thank you all so much for your well wishes and support Indy, Simply Splendid, Hest88, Zoe, Ebree, DiamondsRock, DeeJay, ANd Kimberely.

With Amber''s AMAZING advice, help and information I have the following update:

We left messages a number of messages for Patient Relations (Patient Advocacy Department at the hospital). But that didn''t seem to get us very far. Amber had told us the the CEO of the hoptital had put a directive out recently that HUGELY pushed the improvement of patient satisfaction... So I called the CEO''s assistant. She was out. Her ''back up'' named P was very responsive, I didn''t disclose the doctors name or my mother''s because I don''t want it to get to Mr. Hyde and have him ticked off. But P was really quick and confident to assure me that she is on top of it. She couldn''t get a hold of anyone in Patient Relations either, but left urgent messages there. She also promised to get on it first thing 8 am Monday morning. And encouraged me to follow up with her, if she hasn''t contacted me, at 9 am for an update.

Working in a corporation and dealing with administrative assistants, I know how much power they usually have-- a call from them usually gets results. And that their job is to buffer the executive from problems, so that they work to get issues resolved so that the executive doesn''t get bothered and ticked off. SO I hope this is the case here. I''m hoping that by having the CEO''s admin call Patient Relations we will see results before our 1 pm appointment. I told her that we want a representative from Patient Relations at the appointment, as a buffer. And I warned her that we may want a different surgeon to do the corrective surgery. I feel more in control, and even more hopeful.

Well, P''s call got results, at 5:10... AFTER the patient relations office had closed an irritated patient advocate called me. Which was great. We talked, and unfortunately it quickly became apparent that as diamond rock said... they can''t do anything without a complaint.

Date: 9/7/2007 7:47:52 PM
Author: diamondsrock
unless I wanted to file a formal complaint against him, she couldn''t help me. Which was really unfortunate, because I thought they were supposed to help the patient deal with problems with their care and problems with communication, not just complaints. Ugh. I wasn''t ready to file a formal complaint against him, as I thought my father would be still receiving care under this doctor and I didn''t want to tick him off too much.
And refused to be present at the 1 pm, there are procedures they have to follow, and well... whatever. So, we''ve decided to go to Mr.Hyde on Monday, I''m going to go buy a digital tape recorder for the appointment and record it. If after that appointment we aren''t pleased we are going to file a formal complaint, give them a copy of the tape to back it up. If that doesn''t get us anywhere we''ll get the CEO involved.

Amber is helping us find information out on the other surgeons at the hospital that do this type of surgery, and we are going to request one of them to do the correction instead. It''s within our rights to ask, the PA said, but it''s also with the department''s rights to refuse. We will also insist that the surgery be done ASAP. Again, if there is a fuss kicked up about this, we''ll go to the CEO.

If the CEO doesn''t get us results, well...

That''s where the media and that tape will come into play if needed.

We are also taking a ton of pics of my mom''s back. Also for the media should it become needed. And we will force the hospital to own up to it''s new initiatives of customer satisfaction. Lawyer, and insurance companies will also get involved at this point.

So... that''s what I told my mom. I was very postive and upbeat. And emphasized that we were only exploring all these options so that we had a clear plan prepared in case of worst case senarios.

She was frightened by some of it. Probably by my intensity. But she was also relieved that John and I had done some legwork and would be ready to help her get well, no matter what.

So... that''s out update.

The anger is there. More than ever, because I expected the PA''s to actually be advocates but they aren''t and see very useless. The extent of their involvement will be to relay our complaint to the practice manager, who is either an office manager type, or a nurse. And then let the department take it from there. I can tell you right now... that''s not what I was looking for and definitely isn''t what we wanted. But oh well... if the CEO or media is what it takes. I''m ready to bring it on.
emangry.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Coming in late, Gypsy, but lots of prayers are going to your family, and especially to you and your mother.

*hugs*

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m suspecting that my complaints to the CEO''s assistant and the Patient Advocates had an effect. Because:

A) There was no wait, the took my mother in right away.

B) Mr. Hyde was not in evidence. Dr. Jekyll consented to have the conversation taped. Got his consent on tape.

C) They are checking my mother in to the hostpital NOW. On orders for bedrest only allowed to get up to go the bathroom.

D) the MINUTE her blood registers that the coagulants in her blood (she takes anti coagulants) are at safe levels they are operaing. Projected date for this is Monday or Tuesday.

F) They are doing the ''full monty operation''

G) Dr. Himself suggested that he has another of his partners assist. We enthusiastically agreed and requested his boss. He seemed ammenable.

H) Treated my mother better (of course he knew he was on tape) and seemed to finally get the message.

SO... this surgery is much higher risk than her original. But this time we knew some of the questions to ask and he actually gave us straight answers.

Feeling a litte better, though my little girl heart hurts a little that my mommy is back in the hospital.

Thank you so much everyone, MOST ESPECIALLY Amber for your research on the facility its doctors, the procedures.

Everyone else, thank you for all the advice on how to handle Mr. Ego. I took two of my anti anxiety pills (klonopin) before the appointment and was so nice and sweet that John said I was freaking him out. I stroked his ego, but got exactly what I wanted in return. So I was MORE than happy to swallow my pride.

That''s my update. It seems like the PS fairy dust is once again working its magic. I''ll keep updating as we know more futher in the week. But it seems that in the lastt 15 days that Mr. Hyde was on vacation with the peace of mind that my mother was complaining about nothing and just a problem patient... three of her vertebrea have fractured and her neck has obstructed her thoat to the point it''s affecting her abilty to breath and swallow.

It''s amazing that the implied threat of that little tape recorder coupled by my super (ditzy as I had him repeat things and clarify and just generally pin him down blaming my ignorance of medicine and lack of memory) niceness was able to do.

THANK YOU EVERYONE.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,
I have tears in my eye's reading your last post. I am so happy for you and your mom; I do want to give you a big kudos for being so strong in this very difficult time! I will be thinking of you guys and sending out strong prayers for both of you and your family. This brings back so many memories when my mom was in the hospital. I can tell you love your mom very much and she is lucky to have such a kind and strong daughter. Here is a big hug sweetie and I wish I could give you a hug in person because I remember the little girl heart which hurts, but since I can't I want you to know I am thinking about you guys and wishing her the best!!!
12.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Gypsy, this is good news! Hopefully everything goes well.

I can''t believe the condition your mom is in now. My prayers continue.

And yes, kudos to you!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Just like Skip I am crying. I couldn''t be more proud of you! You really took control and got results.

Great job!!

DKS

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad to hear things have turned around for you Gypsy, good for you for taking control of the situation and kicking booty to get this hospital to treat your mother as she should''ve been treated in the first place.!
36.gif
I''m so proud of you. I''ve been following this thread and you and your family will remain in my thoughts until this all gets resolved and your mom''s health is restored.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,
You rock woman!! I am so glad you took control of this situation and got the help your Mom needs. I will be keeping all of you in my prayers!!! She''s in good hands now, will pray for the surgeons that will be doing this operation. You took this head on, and look at the results you got. Very proud of you!!!!
1.gif

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh gypsy! i just read this thread and i think i stopped breathing - my heart just broke hearing your story. i don''t understand how a doctor can treat a patient, a HUMAN BEING under HIS CARE that way! she was at his mercy, and i cannot believe you had so few options and did not have the option to have another doctor take over her care! i am absolutely appalled at what was allowed to go on here, and i am so sorry for everything your mom, you and your family have been through! it is shameful! well, here i go, i''ll stop before i really go at it. i see things have gotten better and you don''t need me dredging up the negativity..... fairy dust, fairy dust, LOTS of fairy dust!!

i am so glad you got the support and knowledge you needed to put these people straight, and most importantly, to get your mom the care she REQUIRED. my thoughts will continue to be with you and your family, i hope all goes exceedingly well and that your mom is very soon on the road to recovery and being without pain.

big hugs to you, your mom, and your family.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
YOU GO GIRL.

I hope this surgery goes the way it''s supposed to!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
YAY!!!! Gypsy - I''m so glad the advice was helpful and I''m so proud of you and impressed with the results you have gotten. Its funny how even when going through the "official" channels doesn''t necessarily get "official" results, things seem to start working better anyway
14.gif
But it doesn''t matter because it sounds like you are all doing an amazing job, especially you, in getting your mom what she needs! Fingers, toes, paws, and everything else crossed here that things go well with the second surgery - I''d say the odds are probably as good as they could be under the circumstances!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Gyspy,

I am so glad that you''ve found some sort of resolution to this and your mom is going to be taken care of.

~K

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Oh Gypsy...so sorry. I hope this resolves itself.

My suggestion--to heck with nice. Call a good lawyer (you should know some in medical liability, yes?) and take him or her with you to the flipping appointment.

I second the idea of a third opinion. My mother got four or five before the finally diagnosed her brain tumor correctly.

ETA: oops, sorry sweetie, I didn't see the second page! Glad that this got resolved!!! Best wishes for a good surgery.

No offense to the surgeons out there, but stories like this are why I try to discourage FI from going into neurosurg....it messes people up.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
WAY TO GO, GIRL!!!!! Your mom should be very, very proud of her pro-active daughter!!
36.gif

More prayers going out for a successful operation and a speedy recovery for your mom
35.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent news!
36.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
So glad to hear some good news! It just breaks my heart thinking about the pain your mom has to go through and all the stress it has put on you. I''m definitely keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly with the second surgery! I''m proud of you for taking control of the situation! You ROCK!
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone. We're at home. Mom was insistent that with the 24 hour care at the hospital she doesn't need anyone until the surgery has occured.

Got a few things to do tomorrow.

Though we requested my mother's room be on the 14th floor, they assigned her to the 12th floor of th hopital, Dr.Ego's 'normal' floor for the time being. So I'm going to call and 'remind' the doctor that while the 12th floor is fine now, she'd better be on the 14th after the surgery (14th floor has much better nursing, more responsive and more seasoned).

I'm also going to skip the Patient Advocacy and go straight to the Practice Manager myself tomorrow and make sure it's fully understood that we do not want Dr. Ego unassisted, or like last time, assisted by a resident. We're requested the Cheif of the practice, and I want the best shot at getting that I can have. I will mention P's name and the CEO if I have to. "Patient responsiveness and satisfaction" are something that they are going to have to work for.

Skippy, sweetie, I have tears in my eyes reading your response. Thank you honey for your touching words and wonderful heart. I'm sorry if this is bring up bad memories for you.

Ellen, yes it is good news. I was happy they admitted her, especially since her vertabrea are snapping willy nilly. Her condition is bad, and it's unfortunatle that it had to reach this point before the doctor coul bother himself to do anything about it. ut don't worry, once this surgery is completed and sucessful. I will be filing formal complaints about the jerk. Thank you for your prayers and thoughts.

DKS, Monnie, Kaleigh, FG, rainy, Rainbow, snlee, Isaku and Vegas.. really it's thanks to you guys. I was at such a low when I started this post, just so helpless and hopeless, and you all raised me up and empowered me, gave me your strength when I didn't have any left... and guided me to this. I am fervently hoping for positive results from the steps taken today.

Thank you all. I GREATLY appreciate the continued good wishes. This is the beginning of another painful journey for my mom, and I know that she, and I and my whole family appreiciate the continued support and caring you all are offering with just generous open hearts. Thank you.

Amber. I owe you so much. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, no don't feel bad; I feel lucky I can empathize in some way. What happened to my mom taught me empathy which was a blessing in disguise. I am thinking of you guys over the next few weeks and please keep us posted if you feel up to it. Prayers outgoing sweetest Gypsy.
emrose.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy - Just wanted you and your family to know that people are praying for your mom. So sorry to hear how she has suffered. Way to work the system to insist that her care be the best.

Hope the surgery and recovery go well.

Blessings on you and yours.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Skippy and Fly girl!

Called the Dr. Office. Talked to his nurse/assistant. Made sure she was very clear that we wanted my mother on the 14th floor and that we wanted the Chief of his practice attending the surgery. She was a little surprised by both requests (apparently the Dr. hadn''t made our wishes known) but said she would follow up on them and get back to me.

I also left a message for the Chief''s admin to call me on an urgent matter.

Let me tell you... my mind is not on work right now.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I just waned to chime in with well wishes and {{hugs}} to you, Gypsy. Good for you for being such a wonderful advocate for your mom, it''s great to see that your efforts are paying off.

I hope she feels better soon.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,

You are handling yourself so well through this difficult time. Be proud of yourself. Continuing to send good thoughts your way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results