shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Fairy Dust Please for my Mom.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven''t that posting active since well, dinner. I had a great day... and got some bad news at the end of it. So I''m asking for some dusting... could really use some. After dinner John, who had taken my mom to the doctor for a second opinon on the results of her back surgery, told me the ''real'' assesment this doctor offered (instead of the vague and slightly avoiding the question one he gave me while I was at work).

My mother had a posterior spinal fusion, a rather extensive one .. I think it was T3 to L2 or T2 to L 3 about 7 weeks ago. Her back was sloping and pushing her ribs into her lungs. Um... if you get quesy at medical details skip the next paragraph.

Long story short. Two of the hooks that were supposed to have been fused unto her bones, the anchors at the top of Fusion, have completely come out of the bone. Now, we had indications of this a couple of days after the surgery... and it progressed until the place it''s at now where the hooks are trying to break through her skin. It''s been very painful.

Her surgeon since the day after the surgery pulled what my mother feels was a Dr. Jeckle Mr. Hyde on her. Before the surgery he was great... afterward he displayed a God complex and an ego the size of the South American Continent. He refused to empathize with her, look into some of her complaints, was generally interested in complimenting himself and well... you get the picture. I thought he was an arse the day I met him, the day of mom''s surgery, and I have a hard time believe that my mother didn''t just see what she wanted to see, and ignored the indications of his Mr. Hyde cause I don''t think this man has a humble, or EMPATHETIC bone in his body. Didn''t think so then, KNOW so now. Two weeks ago Mom confronted him in his office that her back was WORSE (she looks like a hunch back.. full on hump above her shoulder blades) and her neck is displaced it''s been moved forward as a result of the pressure from the slipped hooks and lost anchoring of them. He said that there was a very easy procedure that could fix her ''minor complaint.'' We hoped he was telling the truth, but wanted to confirm. Also we hoped that if it really was an easy fix, we could find someone else to do it.

Today she went for a second opinion, and with the hope that this doctor/surgeon would do the correction surgery that is going to be needed, instead of having to do back to Mr. Hyde. Well, he confirmed that it was a screw up, but diplomatically, and said that the ''quick fix'' would stop the pain but would leave her a hunchback for life. My heart just stopped when John told me this. The ''real'' fix would be an extensive surgery involving fusing more vertebrea up to her neck to pull that back into alignment, and finding a new anchor point. Forgot stopping, my heart fell to my knees. And he said that he won''t/ can''t from a liabilty standpoint touch her. She needs to go back to the original surgeon or one at the same hospital.

I cannot tell you how much my mother has already suffered in terms of pain, in terms of weight loss she''s lost 40 pounds she didn''t have to lose. Mr. Hyde has her addicted at 7 weeks to TWENTY miligrams of Percocet every 8 hours, with another MORE addictive and STRONGER pain med every three. My grandparents have aged right before my eyes in the last 7 weeks. All of us, and we''re a good sized family have been worn to the bone, and that''s with the nurses and therapists, and extra maid we''ve hired. We''ve been with her 24 hours a day, cause she''s crippled. I spent two nights a week there, plus one weekend day. My stepfather spends 3 nights a week there, plus the other weekend day. My aunt spends two nights a week there, plus two weekdays till 6 pm. My grandparents are there 24/7 because we had to set up the hospital bed in thier living room as my other aunt was here from TX for 4 weeks staying with them, and my grandma has surgery (hernia) at the same time so having them in the same house made sense. My other aunt drives up from LA most weekends. And all of this has emotionally just really hurt my mom and made her feel guilty and depressed and anxious. It''s been awful.

I''ve just been holding it inside and after dinner it really just... broke me about this.

So, we have an appointment with Mr. Hyde on Monday. John and I will be taking my mom to it. And we are to see what he is willing to do. His office has been unwilling to consider the ''permanent fix'' as his schedule is too packed for anything like that ''so unexpectedly''
29.gif
, but I don''t want my mother to be a hunchback for the rest of her life. And HE DID THIS. HE MESSED UP. A solution that''s a quick and dirty for him is a cop out, and I''m furious that he''s been trying to force my mom to it. And I''m scared. The first time the risks of paralysis and everything else were so hard to deal with... and that was without knowing how bad and hard the recovery process was going to be... now, I''m just so worried. She''s so weak, what''s this going to do to her.

And I''m just... in need of some magick.

That''s probably why I''ve been distracting myself with this reset, and everything, and posting here so much. Life right now... my mother raised me herself... it was hard as an immigrant here, after everything my dad did to her. And I love her so much. And despite all my complaints, she really is a wonderful mom.

Please, a little fairy dust. She could really use it. And so could the rest of my family. She''s very much the heart of us.

Sorry so solemn, just really upset.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
oh sweetie...my heart just hurts for you and your mother and the rest of your family. What a dreadful thing to have happen. I'll send PS fairy dust your way, but also, I know a lot of physicians who are connected with the hospital where your mother had surgery.

I will hope and pray that things improve, magically or otherwise, and that you all will be able to get through this with a minimum of stress and pain. I'm so sorry.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s just... THANK YOU. I can''t express it. Just THANK YOU.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't believe in magic dust but prayers are outgoing for your mom and family and for you.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, what you''re going through brings tears to my eyes.
39.gif
My heart aches for you, your mom, and your family. I''m so sorry that your mom is going through so much pain. I''m very angry to hear about the situation with Mr. Hyde. Legally can you do anything? I really hope the situation gets better soon!

Lots of *hugs* to you. I''ll be thinking positive thoughts for your mom. Please keep us posted and know that we are here for you.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish I had a great answer, Gypsy...

He sounds like a terrible man, and should be doing whatever he can to help her, especially since he caused her pain. Back surgery is major and I am sorry she is suffering so.

I really hope he improves. Make sure he knows, nicely, that you are trying to help your mom, and that his surgery is at the root of this. He needs to know you are not just unaware, but you also do not want to antagonize him if he is to do another procedure. I just think it helps him to know you are not to be condescended to by him.

I hope it all turns out okay. Your mom sounds amazing and I am sure all of you just want her to feel the best she can.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
23.gif
39.gif
15.gif

THIRD opinion? There''s got to be someone else. I would find it difficult to impossible to trust him at this point (and feel that your family may have a malpractice case for PART A of this two part saga). All the more reason to just get in writing him *refusing* to do the permanent fix (if he in fact does). If that''s what DOCTOR #3 says is right -- Bingo. Two birds w/one stone.

Emotionally ... I can''t even imagine. Hurling gale force winds of well wishes your way.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much Storm and snlee and DF and Deco. I will update. It just hurts darn it, and I've got this hot ball of firey anger in my chest when I just think about it. And then I feel helpless. And I know EVERYONE, but most especially my mother, in my family feels this way. Half the time I block it out. At work it's completely blocked. At home, not so much. At grandparents. No way.

She didn't want John to tell me tonight, because it would have spoiled my night for me with the ring excitement. But he knew that I HAD to know, and that I would just be doubly upset if he delayed telling me. She was crying in the car, holding his hand, after the appointment today. And I can't even call her to comfort her tonight, because she would know John broke his promise. And she feels very strongly about promises.

Just, really messed up right now.

Being able to vent on here is a gift. As are your replies, thoughts, wishes, and empathy. THANK YOU.

DF... the hardest thing for me right now is the thought of being NICE to that man on Monday because we still NEED HIM HAPPY and his EGO FED. I'm so glad John will be there as he's such an anchor in all of this for me, and for my mom. She's really learned to appreciate him, and even depends on him a little now. It's improved their relationship, which I suppose is a silver lining.

Deco if we get a third opinion, it will have to be at the same hospital I think. This doctor even refused at first to SEE her when told why she wanted him to. He only did so because John begged the nurse, and he had a prior relationship as her doctor with her.
7.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not disagree with a third opinion if your mom is up to it. He took oaths and should be helping her, not giving you all the brush off and acting jerky. I would hope above all he is professional about things, but one can never tell. If he is ego involved and feels you usurped his power, it could tick him off, but he still has an obligation to your mom. TOO BAD he might not have time to correct her surgery that he botched. I would likely raise hell with the head of the hospital. I doubt anyone would like the option of being hunched over. Ask him Monday, if this were YOUR mother, what would your reaction be? What would you be doing to get her the help she needs? A lot of times surgeons really have a tough time dealing with people, they like them under anesthesia because they do not have to deal with them. You might have to play a bit of hardball, and then you might not want him touching your mom again. Again, I am so sorry about this.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2007 1:31:37 AM
Author: diamondfan
I do not disagree with a third opinion if your mom is up to it. He took oaths and should be helping her, not giving you all the brush off and acting jerky. I would hope above all he is professional about things, but one can never tell. If he is ego involved and feels you usurped his power, it could tick him off, but he still has an obligation to your mom. TOO BAD he might not have time to correct her surgery that he botched. I would likely raise hell with the head of the hospital. I doubt anyone would like the option of being hunched over. Ask him Monday, if this were YOUR mother, what would your reaction be? What would you be doing to get her the help she needs? A lot of times surgeons really have a tough time dealing with people, they like them under anesthesia because they do not have to deal with them. You might have to play a bit of hardball, and then you might not want him touching your mom again. Again, I am so sorry about this.

It's difficult balance, and you've laid it out so well. I think/hope I can, or John can, ask this question without being too antagonizing, I think it's a good question, that MIGHT work to get something in him to spark. Not especially hopeful of that happening, but I think that it's a good approach and I thank you for suggesting it.

He told my mother the last time he saw her that he's had similar things to this happen occasionally, and on one occassion the guy lived with it for 4 months so that he could be scheduled for surgery. And that that guy didn't complain in four months as much as my mom has in seven weeks.
23.gif
29.gif
23.gif
I didn't even know what to say when she told me that. My aunt said, she just broke into tears right in front of the doctor after he said this, repeating, "4 months... 4 months" and that he didn't seem to blink in response.

Gonna go to bed now. This has been very theraputic. THANK YOU ALL again, for the gales of fairy dust, well wishes and wisdom, and offers of aid.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unbelievable, Gypsy, that your mom is having to go through all this because the doc F''d up. I''m angry just reading your posts, I have no advice to give but hang in there. Lucky you have a wonderful man at your side who''s supportive of you and your mom and family and is helping you through this. Of course, undoubtedly, absolutely, sending the much needed PS fairy dust your way. Big hugs to you and your mom and John and everyone involved, even the doctor, he sounds like he could use about a million just being the a-$ that he is. I hate to be so negative but he deserves it, and your mom doesn''t.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh Gyp, I am so sorry. Bless your heart. It is so burdened and so troubled. And your mother, I am so very sorry of her anguish.

Your meeting on Monday is not with the Wizard of Oz behind the green curtain. You need not be intimidated by his sheepskin on the wall. Boil it down, this is business. A service rendered was inadequate, incomplete, and not satisfactory. A second opinion deemed it far more serious...and needs attention immediately. I know your emotions are going to get the best of you...but you need to be prepared to get what you need from this meeting. This is not about what is convenient for his office...

"Unexpected"....hogwash! Most medial conditions are unexpected, we don't plan our afflictions by a calendar.

You are going to have his time, space and attention. Learn what you can before Monday. Be as informed as you possibly can. Familiarize yourself with the names of the superior staff at the hospital. Make inquiries to others as to the next options you have in a situation such as you find yourself. I wonder if a call to your insurance carrier may provide you with an advocate.

You are in my prayers for strength and wisdom.

DKS

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I am so sorry, sending out thoughts and prayers for you and your Mom.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Gypsy, I'm so sorry to hear this.
7.gif

I ran into so many arrogant docs when my dad was sick, it wasn't funny. I feel for you.....If he balks again at your concern, simply ask him, would he feel this way if it was HIS mother.
29.gif

My prayers for you and she my dear.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my God. This is so terrible, Gypsy-I''m so sorry for your mom, you and your family. I absolutely HATE doctors with sick, ridiculous God complexes. He sounds like a disgusting, horrible man and I really hope you can get through to him that HE messed up and your poor mother is in terrible pain and addicted to painkillers because of it.

You may already know this, but I think most or maybe all hospitals have patient advocates who are supposed to (obviously) advocate for patients. My father had negligent, terrible medical care at a hospital after an accident in Arizona and my mother got the patient advocate involved and it definitely helped in their situation. My mother is well-versed in all things medical, so she knew what he needed, wasn''t getting, etc. so she was able to tell the doctors and nurses and eventually the patient advocate and she got him treatment. I''m not sure if the patient advocate could help in your case but thought I''d throw that out there.

I feel sorry for people who blindly trust doctors, etc. because they just don''t know any better. I''m so glad you and your family do know better since that will prevent your mother from being a hunchback. I''m sending massive truckloads of PS Fairy Dust your way...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Gypsy,
I am so sorry to hear this, sending prayers to you, your Mom and John. I had a Dr Hyde after neck surgery. It took having my friend''s husband ( who knew him and was friends with him ) to call him to make sure he would see me and fix a problem I was having. I hope you find the right solution for your Mom by a Doctor that cares. HUGS!!!!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy~I am so sorry that your Mom is going through such a terrible ordeal. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. We have had to deal with such types of doctors, when my mother was ill...what a nightmare. Do whatever you need to do for your Mom. Healing fairy dust is on the way...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh My Gosh Gypsy. My heart goes out to your mom and you. You guys are in my prayers. Do get another opinion; I am so sorry. ((((((HUGE HUG)))))))

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, one thing I would say to him, if he keeps on bringing up other patients, is that it is NOT relevant what another person lived with or dealt with, each person is unique, experiences pain differently, can tolerate different things. So what if 99 out of 100 people would not complain or would be happy with the quick fix option? IRELEVANT. Your mom is her own being, and he should be viewing her as such. Nice that someone else lived with the pain, etc, but your mom is suffering, he has duties to her as her doctor, and all that should matter is her health and comfort.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
My heart got heavier and heavier as I read your initial post. I am truly dumbfounded by both the ineptitude and attitude of your mom''s surgeon. I''m so very sorry for your entire family, but especially for your mom who is in agony.

You and John will have to take charge of the matter as soon as is humanly possible. There is no way your mom should suffer like this.

I''m honestly floored by what I''m reading in your posts.

(((((((BIG HUGS!!))))) to you and your family.

I will certainly add my many prayers for you all!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My god you all are wonderful.

Patient Advocates. I will look into that today. I didn't know such things existed. Will do.

Familiarize myself with the hospital's senior staff. Will definitely that, probably tonight.

"Unexpected"....hogwash! Most medial conditions are unexpected, we don't plan our afflictions by a calendar." Got that too, and will use it.

Will call the insurance carrier regarding an advocate as well. Probably Monday morning, or ask John to do it today.

"is that it is NOT relevant what another person lived with or dealt with, each person is unique, experiences pain differently, can tolerate different things. So what if 99 out of 100 people would not complain or would be happy with the quick fix option? IRELEVANT. Your mom is her own being, and he should be viewing her as such. Nice that someone else lived with the pain, etc, but your mom is suffering, he has duties to her as her doctor, and all that should matter is her health and comfort." Will use this too. Along with a veiled reference to 'egg shell plantiffs' in lawschool, to remind him that I am a lawyer.

I'm so sorry for everyone who has dealt with a Mr. Hyde in their own medical experiences and in their families medical experiences. It's really devastating and makes you feel so helpless and de-humanized. It's just not right.

Thank you all for your sympaty, empathy, your experiences, suggestions, and guidance... and for the gales and truckloads of fairy dust.

You are all helping me find resources and pathways to information and aide.

I'm so happy I decided to post. I wasn't going to you know. But I am so glad I did.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry for you guys. I''ll keep you in my thoughts!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
7.gif
39.gif
I am so sorry you and your family and especially your mom is going though this. While I was reading your story I was just thinking of how I would feel if something like this happened to my mom
15.gif

You and your family will be in my thoughts, I hope that you and your mom can get through this with as little pain as possible and that the doctor responsible for this is appropriately reprimanded.
38.gif
Things like this should just never happen... never!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Miranda and Poshpepper. Fortunately I am blessed in that I have communities knowledge experience and support to draw from. It is invaluable, and has already made in difference in my outlook-- it''s given me much more hope. I am not feeling broken and devestated as I did last night. But a little empowered, and it is ALL thanks to you all.
emlove.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It makes me angry when doctors try to get away with this crap. Like, livid irate angry. I mean, they are people like everyone else, not gods. Don't even get me started. I have a lot of experience. Including the gyn who told my mom for years she was fine when she had a frigging 3 inch tumor in her breast. I. just. can't. Drives. me. nuts. So, I'm so sorry you are dealing with this, truly.

Lots of prayers and good thoughts and fairy dust and whatever else will help, going out your way. *hugs* You've gotten some great advice already!

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy I am so sorry you & your mother have to deal with this crap. Your mothers situation just screams malpractice. I too would be extremely apprehensive about letting this quack touch her again. Have you checked out this doctor via Medical Board of Examiners? I was looking at state of Nevada Board & found this in regards to filing complaints: Not sure how it varies from place to place but....

Malpractice:

As an example, if a doctor, physician assistant or practitioner of respiratory care fails to use a well-known and effective treatment, to the patient’s detriment, that may be malpractice.

Sometimes, a doctor, physician assistant or practitioner of respiratory care does things that are not extremely careless, but are not appropriate for the condition of the patient. For example, if several patients of a plastic surgeon end up with unusual infections following facelifts, are hospitalized, and are left with scars, that may be malpractice.

Professional Incompetence:

If a doctor, physician assistant or practitioner of respiratory care does things which he or she is not adequately trained to do, or does not maintain the skills needed to practice safely and effectively, he or she may be professionally incompetent. An example is a doctor who continues to do a surgical procedure that others in his or her field stopped doing years ago because it was found to be unnecessarily dangerous, or, a general practitioner does a plastic surgery, for which he or she is not adequately trained.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
FG-- I''m sorrry for you Mom''s experiences. And for everyone''s personal ones (like Kaleigh), or family ones (like you, and so many others who have taken the time to post). livid irate angry pretty much describes it. ((HUGS)) and Thank you.

V Angel... I''m going to be some preliminary research on the CA Medical Boards standards this weekend. Being armed in advance is important. Thank you for the information youprovided its given me much to consider. THANK YOU.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Oh Gypsy...I feel for you...I am so sorry you guys are having to go through this...
7.gif

Sending good vibes, positive thoughts and lots of prayers your way.
It must be really hard right now, but try to keep positive..
Hugs,
M~

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Oh my Gypsy what a horrible story! Your poor mother. She is lucky to have you to look out for her interests and help her to explore her options during this difficult time. Stay strong for her and please keep us posted. My thoughts and prayers and whatever fairy dust I might conjure up go out to you guys!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Mandarine and Sundail.

I just spoke to my mom at lunch. She''s REALLY DOWN, my step dad stayed home from work today to be with her. But she told me herself (and I acted like I''m hearing about it for the first time) the low down. There were a few details that John must have protected me from last night.

A) The ''quick fix'' won''t just leave her a hunchback, but as time progresses her neck distention is going to get worse, and there will be a risk of nerve/cord damage that results.

B) The farther into the neck they go the riskier it becomes in terms of possibilty of paralysis (knew this) But yesterday''s doctor felt they would have to go pretty darn high to fix this, which I didn''t know.

So... yeah. Just absorbing. Got three more hours at work. Then I''m going to be with my mom.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results