shape
carat
color
clarity

Post your 1st world problem today

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When did it become socially acceptable to walk into a store, take merchandise without paying and not even bother to run out or pretend to be hiding it? Bc my sister just witnessed this at her local store. Like. We are living in an honor system kind of world now:roll:
She said all the people in line just laughed, including the cashier.

As a retail rep, I see this ALL THE TIME.
Last week, I was in my car in the Target parking lot. I watched a man walk out of the fire exit with a basket of electronics. The alarm went off, but he just quickly disappeared around the side of the store.
Ten minutes later, another man walked out of the same fire exit with two video game consoles under his arms. The alarm rang again. I stepped out of my car and confronted him. I said "What are you doing , guy?" He says "Being stupid!" And jumped in the getaway car. I guess if he had a gun he could've shot me, but his hands were full!
I went inside and told the Target security people.
They said there was nothing they could do. They cannot physically touch them. So what good is having security, if the cannot stop people from doing this?
So I guess anybody can take what they want, no prob.

I also recently witnessed an unstable woman screaming in a grocery store.
Security had her surrounded and was trying to get her to leave, but they couldn't touch her. So she just stood there screaming and swearing at them for quite a while. Eventually she left, but once again, they cannot lay hands on anyone.
In the old days, the store guys (usually the burly guys from the meat department) would physically pick up a troublemaker and toss them out on their a$$.
That was always fun to watch

Last edited:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a retail rep, I see this ALL THE TIME.
Last week, I was in my car in the Target parking lot. I watched a man walk out of the fire exit with a basket of electronics. The alarm went off, but he just quickly disappeared around the side of the store.
Ten minutes later, another man walked out of the same fire exit with two video game consoles under his arms. The alarm rang again. I stepped out of my car and confronted him. I said "What are you doing , guy?" He says "Being stupid!" And jumped in the getaway car. I guess if he had a gun he could've shot me, but his hands were full!
I went inside and told the Target security people.
They said there was nothing they could do. They cannot physically touch them. So what good is having security, if the cannot stop people from doing this?
So I guess anybody can take what they want, no prob.

Security had her surrounded and was trying to get her to leave, but they couldn't touch her. So she just stood there screaming and swearing at them for quite a while. Eventually she left, but once again, they cannot lay hands on anyone.
In the old days, the store guys (usually the burly guys from the meat department) would physically pick up a troublemaker and toss them out on their a$$.
That was always fun to watch

We have gotten too concerned about crap like that and I think we we should go back to the way it was, Let security do their job and it will stop. Put their a$$ in the dirt.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, yes, I've been planting the runners so the pots always have something that comes back in the spring. I guess now I have to check for worms. But maybe since they are in pots and not in the ground it won't be an issue.

Give some of them a soak and see if you see anything. Look at the video so you know what to look for. They’re white.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have gotten too concerned about crap like that and I think we we should go back to the way it was, Let security do their job and it will stop. Put their a$$ in the dirt.

In my many years in retail, I witnessed dozens of fools getting thrown out of stores for stealing. They all deserved it.
And the store guys loved doing it.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my many years in retail, I witnessed dozens of fools getting thrown out of stores for stealing. They all deserved it.
And the store guys loved doing it.

We need to go back to dye packs too, if it crosses the machine the dye explodes all over it, rather have that happen then let people just walk out with stuff.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We need to go back to dye packs too, if it crosses the machine the dye explodes all over it, rather have that happen then let people just walk out with stuff.

I thought they still did the dye…Why are they so soft now???

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a good thing sorta, she needed help not big guys picking her up and throwing her out of the store.
That she did not get any help is an indication of how throw away people with mental health issues are in today's society.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
When did it become socially acceptable to walk into a store, take merchandise without paying and not even bother to run out or pretend to be hiding it? Bc my sister just witnessed this at her local store. Like. We are living in an honor system kind of world now:roll:
She said all the people in line just laughed, including the cashier.

Absolutely disgusting
I wonder if that cashier will still find it funny when she doesn't get a pay rise this year

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely disgusting
I wonder if that cashier will still find it funny when she doesn't get a pay rise this year

I think the cashier’s laugh is one of surrender. Like everyone else, we are powerless to do anything bc the law is not on our side, so I can see why everyone was laughing. They were all disgusted and angry but what can they do?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a good thing sorta, she needed help not big guys picking her up and throwing her out of the store.
That she did not get any help is an indication of how throw away people with mental health issues are in today's society.

The street people (AKA homeless) don't get any mental health help. We don't have a mental hospital in our town. These folks are just milling about, pushing stolen grocery carts filled with their stuff.
Even if they end up in the hospital, they just get discharged right back onto the sidewalk.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

You know Karl you do raise a good point
here in NZ we just endured a very long three weeks of a parlimentry protest that saw major disruption to the lives of ordinary people who live, work and study in the capital (riots are not an evety day occurrence here)
I saw a top cop of the news saying the vast majority of people doing the long term occupation had mental health issue - i kid you not there were people with tin foil hate to protect themselves from the govt)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully high resolution security cameras recorded everything inside and outside the store, including faces and license plate numbers, then gave it to the police.
Hopefully the police pursues the criminals for prosecution.

I agree with the policy of not touching anyone for any reason, unless the toucher is a real police-person.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I love my new perfume (Poème de Lancôme) so much I sprayed my teddy bunny with it :) and now I feel guilty for wasting money :)

Ooh, I love that perfume and went through a couple of bottles of it in the past. Now I want some more too. The scent will probably stay on the Ted Bun for a long time so I think it was worth it.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, was running around all day long and just seeing the conversation.
So @Dee*Jay has @jaysonsmom s and my contacts, right?

I'll bump my address with Dee by sending a mail, right?

Thank you @missy for your mail and thank you @Dee*Jay

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The street people (AKA homeless) don't get any mental health help. We don't have a mental hospital in our town. These folks are just milling about, pushing stolen grocery carts filled with their stuff.
Even if they end up in the hospital, they just get discharged right back onto the sidewalk.

Some states say you can only hold them in a facility for a certain number of days and then if they don't want to stay, and if they are not a threat to themselves or others, they have to be allowed to leave unless they are then legally committed by some professional or judge. So even if help is available, it isn't always taken advantage of by the people who need it the most.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully high resolution security cameras recorded everything inside and outside the store, including faces and license plate numbers, then gave it to the police.
Hopefully the police pursues the criminals for prosecution.

I agree with the policy of not touching anyone for any reason, unless the toucher is a real police-person.

There is no penalty for stealing these days unless you steal over 950 dollars worth of merchandise in Ca…otherwise it’s a misdemeanor and no one cares to investigate

ETA: disregard if Kenny was not replying to my post.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Back in my teens I worked retail and I refused to go hands on with someone over shoplifting. Told my boss he did not pay me enough for that and he could fire me if he wanted.
The stopped doing it when they snapped a female teenagers collar bone over a bottle of beer.

Funny story I did make a shoplifter pee his pants, he was going out as I was coming in from putting groceries in someones car for them and saw the manager heading towards him so I growled at him to put it down and get.
He peed his pants and laid down the bottle of jack and ran off.
Whats funny was he could have just kept walking and I was not going to do anything about it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some states say you can only hold them in a facility for a certain number of days and then if they don't want to stay, and if they are not a threat to themselves or others, they have to be allowed to leave unless they are then legally committed by some professional or judge. So even if help is available, it isn't always taken advantage of by the people who need it the most.
Its that way here and if someone wants help and has insurance there are ~16 mental health beds per million people in the area.
There used to be some available in the Chicago area but they have been cut and the ones left are full all the time.
Even when a judge commits them there is no place to take them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no penalty for stealing these days unless you steal over 950 dollars worth of merchandise in Ca…otherwise it’s a misdemeanor and no one cares to investigate

That is outrageous and a very disturbing trend IMO. Same here. We have become lax on crime and in my opinion crime like the above can certainly lead to more violent offenses. I cannot say more or will be in political territory but it turns my stomach. :x2

I guess time will tell. ::)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Was out and about and was hungry so got a blt wrap(turkey,bacon,cheese,tomato and lettuce whole wheat wrap) figuring it would have less carbs than a burger.
Found out when I looked it up I could have had a 1/2lb cheeseburger for a lot less carbs across the street and it was higher in sodium too than the burger too.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deciding whether or not to retire

The problem is that I spend more money when I am not busy working ;(

It's interesting listening to my mom's family talk about growing up...12 kids in an immigrant family living on handouts. But they never considered themselves poor because they were never hungry (the local grocery stores/restaurants would give my grandmother their discards). And when you look at what is going on in much of the world, you realize they were right.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back in my teens I worked retail and I refused to go hands on with someone over shoplifting. Told my boss he did not pay me enough for that and he could fire me if he wanted.

I would sometimes fill in at a friend's bead shop as a favor. The catch was that the one thing I wouldn't do was go after a shoplifter (which she agreed to).
The stuff people took has little resale value, wasn't a necessity like food and often done by people who bought things first. For many shoplifting is just for the thrill of getting away with it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The problem is that I spend more money when I am not busy working ;(

That's an easy problem to solve.
Do just that till you run out of money.

There.
Problem solved. :whistle:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would sometimes fill in at a friend's bead shop as a favor. The catch was that the one thing I wouldn't do was go after a shoplifter (which she agreed to).
The stuff people took has little resale value, wasn't a necessity like food and often done by people who bought things first. For many shoplifting is just for the thrill of getting away with it.
Where I was working, 95% of the time it was booze and usually teenagers.
Occasionally adults stealing steaks and seafood.
I was not there for the lady that came in with a doll in a stroller and filled it up with steaks and tried to walk out with it leaving the doll in the cooler. The cops met her at the door.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Was out and about and was hungry so got a blt wrap(turkey,bacon,cheese,tomato and lettuce whole wheat wrap) figuring it would have less carbs than a burger.
Found out when I looked it up I could have had a 1/2lb cheeseburger for a lot less carbs across the street and it was higher in sodium too than the burger too.

Don't beat yourself up Karl
Your being mindful and making a big effort
it sounded yummy and a nice change from a burger

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
My cars engine started overheating so it’s been in the shop- unfortunately we live in an area without good public transportation so it’s been a juggle trying to get everyone where they need to be for school and work. Cross your fingers for me that the mechanic can figure out the problem and that it won’t be too $$$ :)

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since i started taking Nolvadex medication for my breast cancer, my fingers swell and unswell significantly all the time. Consequently, most of the days i can't wear my diamond rings, because i either can't put them on or i'm able to put them on but after some hours my fingers swell and i can't remove them, which causes me great anxiety.
I thought of having them resized but my jeweler says that if we do that, then they will be spinning and driving me crazy at least half of the time, so it's not worth it to go through the trouble and expense and still have problems.
The only ring that i can wear and enjoy right now is the full eternity diamond band that DH got for me on New Year's. The ring was big for my finger and initially i was bummed but then my jeweler installed three white gold sizing bars on the inside of the ring, which are amazing because they adapt to the exact size of my finger every time i wear it.
At this point, i'm seriously considering having my solitaire ER reset into a pendant, so that i can wear it around my neck and enjoy it instead of keeping it in its box and size up my three stone ER and use a size adjusting ring guard whenever i wear it.
Frustration....

So I woke up today and thought that it's a very good day, because for the first time in many weeks my fingers weren't swollen and i was able to put on my solitaire ER (size 48 ). I took photos of it with my eternity wedding band !! I was very happy for approximately five minutes! After that, I reached for my thinner eternity band to stack with the above and realized that one diamond is missing and it's not in the jewelry box, so it's lost.
One first world problem was solved, then a new one occurred....!! Oh, well....!!!

Attachments

• 20220313_074254.jpg
    20220313_074254.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220313_074248.jpg
    20220313_074248.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 12
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results