clarity

Please show me your backsplash...

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very true @missy. For instance, I love my Ikea cabinets. The expensive wood ones I had when we lived in Massachusetts would not do well down here. I'd have to opt for a wood that works best with humid sea air, and let me tell you, thats expensive here! If I had to ever replace cabinets, probably more of the same:lol: But ugh, never ever faucets from that place.

Oh and I got my desk for my office from there (its a sit/stand type desk) and funny enough, people complained pretty horribly about it. I absolutely love it. mine is only 2 years old but the motor hasn't burnt out so guess thats a good thing...lol

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really nice. As far as update, as much as I personally love the andromeda white, I think it's just a little too cool/gray to go with the overall scheme of the house. Trim throughout the house is a creamy off white. Except for the kid's bedrooms, walls are painted in tans and greens. I'm really leaning towards the Hawaii if I go with the more expensive granite. I also really like the typhoon green. But I'm not objective with that as I love green, and maybe other people would be turned off by so much green? If I want to do it on a budget and be OK with 2 mm, the color I like there is golden garnet.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really nice. As far as update, as much as I personally love the andromeda white, I think it's just a little too cool/gray to go with the overall scheme of the house. Trim throughout the house is a creamy off white. Except for the kid's bedrooms, walls are painted in tans and greens. I'm really leaning towards the Hawaii if I go with the more expensive granite. I also really like the typhoon green. But I'm not objective with that as I love green, and maybe other people would be turned off by so much green? If I want to do it on a budget and be OK with 2 mm, the color I like there is golden garnet.
I think the Hawaii would be a great choice. It pulls all of your colors together. I do think the typhoon green would be too much; your green floor is so fun on its own and gives the room the perfect pop of color. I'm concerned that a green granite might be more of a competition than a compliment.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The issue becomes that the greens are a little too close together (floor and counter top) and visually, it will not make a lot of sense.

Either go with a neutral floor, which gives a sense of grounding, then, you can go with green counter, or, do white (or even off white) for a counter. If you were doing neutrals it would be a different story, but you're using large swaths of strong color which you have to use with care lest they bring the room own and it becomes chaotic.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Rocks! As usual, you nailed what I liked about it but couldn't quite put in to words. Interest without chaos... that's what I was having a hard time finding with all of the other shiny choices and this lantern tile just seemed to "fit". I was able to find a promo photo of it just now to show you guys what the crackle looks like in person (sorry it's so huge). The crackle is very subtle but, as you said, it will really tie it in to the striations of the granite. This is also more representative of what the color is like (very creamy white).

FDXMLCWH-5.jpg

I can't wait to hear what my consultant says when she gets my list of changes :lol::saint::mrgreen:

LOVE! I looked at that tile in white and a pale blue gray for our renovation. It was gorgeous. They also had coordinating field/ subway tile.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with what @ILikeShiny and @Arcadian wrote above. It's great to go with green if you have neutrals in there as well for contrast and grounding. If you want to go with the Typhoon Green counters (which I love actually after looking at some more samples) I would choose cabinets that were a complimentary color like beige. I really love the Typhoon granite.

Is this similar to the typhoon countertop you are considering? What I love about the Typhoon granite is there seems to be a lot of blue in there and not just green.

AGM-Granite-Typhoon-Green.jpg

The Hawaii granite is beautiful too and has green in it so I would still be concerned that the flooring might clash with either granite. If you are sure it would not compete I think it would be OK to do the floors you want with a neutral cabinet. In the below pic I don't love the floors with the Hawaii but IRL is the only way to know for sure.

hawaii slab.jpg

greenfloor.jpg

Ok that's my long winded way of saying I would go with the Typhoon if you love it but maybe do a more neutral floor and cabinet. Or go with the floor you want but do a more neutral granite.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ILikeShiny I like the tile, the crackle is subtle enough and works. I also like that you're pulling color out of the granite to match up with the grout. IMO the BC or as I call it "the drank room:lol-2:" dosen't really need to match the kitchen because as you said, its big enough on its own. I can't lie, I would hesitate with white bottom cabinets in there anyway (wine spills, juice spills, you name it) The installer will need to take a little extra care because of the crackle finish. They're usually not BAD but they have to be cleaned meticulously after the grout is floated and before it hardens.
Bahahaha!!! :lol: I never thought about the "drank spills", but yes, there are sure to be some :saint:. All the more reason for black cabinets!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bahahaha!!! :lol: I never thought about the "drank spills", but yes, there are sure to be some :saint:. All the more reason for black cabinets!

I forget which reality "star" did this but one of them only allowed clear liquor in their home. Vodka, Gin, White Wine etc. No bourbon, no scotch, no beer oh my :geek2: THat's one way to avoid "drank stains" :P2:lol:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forget which reality "star" did this but one of them only allowed clear liquor in their home. Vodka, Gin, White Wine etc. No bourbon, no scotch, no beer oh my :geek2: THat's one way to avoid "drank stains" :P2:lol:
Then we could never be friends because I drink red wine 99% of the time, and the deeper the red the better :mrgreen2:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with what @ILikeShiny and @Arcadian wrote above. It's great to go with green if you have neutrals in there as well for contrast and grounding. If you want to go with the Typhoon Green counters (which I love actually after looking at some more samples) I would choose cabinets that were a complimentary color like beige. I really love the Typhoon granite.

Is this similar to the typhoon countertop you are considering? What I love about the Typhoon granite is there seems to be a lot of blue in there and not just green.

AGM-Granite-Typhoon-Green.jpg

The Hawaii granite is beautiful too and has green in it so I would still be concerned that the flooring might clash with either granite. If you are sure it would not compete I think it would be OK to do the floors you want with a neutral cabinet. In the below pic I don't love the floors with the Hawaii but IRL is the only way to know for sure.

hawaii slab.jpg

greenfloor.jpg

Ok that's my long winded way of saying I would go with the Typhoon if you love it but maybe do a more neutral floor and cabinet. Or go with the floor you want but do a more neutral granite.
@partgypsy - Is changing the flooring and cabinets an option?? I thought the flooring was already down and it was only the countertop and wall paint that was changing. If the others can be changed too then I have to say I love the typhoon green granite!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then we could never be friends because I drink red wine 99% of the time, and the deeper the red the better :mrgreen2:

Hahaha well I am sure it is all her loss! Oh if only I could remember which "star" it was who had this rule. What a kooky rule.:lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is changing the flooring and cabinets an option?? I thought the flooring was already down and it was only the countertop and wall paint that was changing. If the others can be changed too then I have to say I love the typhoon green granite!

Oops I might have gotten that all wrong then.:oops2: I'm not sure now. But yeah I am loving that typhoon green granite. There are so many lovely colors in it.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indeed @missy. I just love granite with so much visual interest. When I was back at the granite place the other day I had to stop and drool over "my" $10,000 granite slab. Sigh :kiss2:
IMG_7491.JPG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indeed @missy. I just love granite with so much visual interest. When I was back at the granite place the other day I had to stop and drool over "my" $10,000 granite slab. Sigh :kiss2:
IMG_7491.JPG

I appreciate them too as they are true works of art in your home. Love them. But I know for me while I love and appreciate them I don't love it in my kitchen. It drove me batty not knowing how clean my countertops were and not seeing things on it with the pattern. I am so boring that way but I love my black matte granite in Brooklyn and hopefully I will love my Thassos white quartz at the beach. Fingers crossed.

But yes I get the appeal of those gorgeous slabs of art. It's a masterpiece. :love: If I could hang it on my wall I'd be all in.:sun:

What really got me going was when we had an ant infestation and I couldn't tell where the ants were on the beach granite. That was the final straw for me. Creepy.:errrr:

Anyway back to more pleasant conversation...how did it go today with your consultant @ILikeShiny? Hoping it was easy peasy!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyway back to more pleasant conversation...how did it go today with your consultant @ILikeShiny? Hoping it was easy peasy!
I sent her a note today asking when she'd like to know about any changes we might want. It's been a bit different between the sales consultant and the design consultant. The SC wants all of our ideas and changes immediately (as all of those things were supposed to be in within the first 30 days), whereas it turns out the DC wants us to wait until the very end because she gets overwhelmed otherwise (and we get 60 days for those decisions). So my note was asking IF she had submitted any of our requests for pricing (we have to pay for each pricing request we submit) because some of those have now changed, and when she wanted us to give her an updated list. So far I haven't heard back but I did send it late in the day.

After having several things overlooked by both SC and DC I've taken to creating spreadsheets for them so that nothing gets lost or done incorrectly. This way we're all on the same page (and I am in control, not depending on others to get it right).

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK girls so another decision needs to be made...Greg is at the house now and sent me some pics. As you might remember I want to salvage the original dutch door (we will be getting a new storm door). So in the upcoming months my dh will be sanding it refinishing it etc. and I have to choose the color. The outside trim is sort of bronze/brown/gray. And so for the outside of the door I am leaning towards a gray brown. For the inside either white or lighter gray to match the Carrara backsplash.

Outside of door

beachkitchendoor.jpg

inside

beachkitchendoorinside.jpg

the outside trim color
outsidetrimbeachhouse.jpg

People were skinnier in those days haha. Such a narrow opening re the dutch door. Our main door is wider but this is the kitchen entrance.
So I would love hearing thoughts re color scheme. White or lighter gray inside and a sort of gray brown outside. We went to Benjamin Moore yesterday and I have samples but have-not gone through them just yet.

my note was asking IF she had submitted any of our requests for pricing (we have to pay for each pricing request we submit) because some of those have now changed, and when she wanted us to give her an updated list. So far I haven't heard back but I did send it late in the day.

@ILikeShiny it sounds good re keeping a spreadsheet to keep track of it all. I am sorry you have to keep paying when you resubmit for changes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And updated pics from just now.

beachkitchenmarch2018eastwall.jpg

beachkitchenmarch2018southwestwall.jpg

beachkitchenmarch2018.jpg

beachkitchenmarch2018.jpeg

So I am pleased with our choice of white. It's a small kitchen and I think our white color scheme opens everything up and brightens the space considerably.
Looking forward to seeing it in person in hopefully a few weeks. Greg is only there for another hour or so because we have plans this afternoon but he is hoping to get there next week or weekend to start putting things away and cleaning up. And then the final reveal.

@Tekate any kitchen/home updates?

@partgypsy have you made your final choices yet?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's latest updates.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG @missy, you brought back some memories for me.....

Back in the early 70's my grandmother had my uncle, the house builder, cover those gorgeous dark wood floors in her house with white shag carpet.

Oh and we could NOT walk on that carpet with shoes on! Starting from the front door, you had a vinyl runners had paths lead ALL.THE.WAY.THROUGH.THE.HOUSE. :lol::eek-2::lol-2: You had to walk on it or get your tail tore up.

And the white furniture in the living room that NOBODY could sit on. But oh wait, you could sit on the yellow furniture that was covered in heavy ass plastic....:lol-2:

Oh thats not the worst of it.

Anyone remember stalactites phase? No? Well its popcorn ceiling taking to exteme levels. They had gorgeous dark beams throughout the first floor. This man put them thangs all over the ceiling, in between the beams, and covered them with glitter.:lol:

As we now know that stuff had asbestos but back then they just put up any ol thang!

The only place he did not do was the kitchen, but that was covered in yellow and green wallpaper so there you are.

My grandfather just let her have what she wanted.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I would go with white on the interior unless you deliberatly want the door to stand out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG @missy, you brought back some memories for me.....

Back in the early 70's my grandmother had my uncle, the house builder, cover those gorgeous dark wood floors in her house with white shag carpet.

Oh and we could NOT walk on that carpet with shoes on! Starting from the front door, you had a vinyl runners had paths lead ALL.THE.WAY.THROUGH.THE.HOUSE. :lol::eek-2::lol-2: You had to walk on it or get your tail tore up.

And the white furniture in the living room that NOBODY could sit on. But oh wait, you could sit on the yellow furniture that was covered in heavy ass plastic....:lol-2:

Oh thats not the worst of it.

Anyone remember stalactites phase? No? Well its popcorn ceiling taking to exteme levels. They had gorgeous dark beams throughout the first floor. This man put them thangs all over the ceiling, in between the beams, and covered them with glitter.:lol:

As we now know that stuff had asbestos but back then they just put up any ol thang!

The only place he did not do was the kitchen, but that was covered in yellow and green wallpaper so there you are.

My grandfather just let her have what she wanted.

Smart man! Happy wife...:bigsmile::halo:

@missy, I would go with white on the interior unless you deliberatly want the door to stand out.

Thank you Arcadian! Yes you cemented the choice for me. White inside it is. Thanks so much for weighing in-really appreciate it.:appl:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so beautiful, @missy. The finishes are lovely! And I agree - the white looks wonderful.

I've had tradesmen here all week, last week, next week, the week after, until I die.... We're coming along, tho, so that's a mercy. Our huge, unfinished man-cave is slowly becoming a useable space, and I'm hoping in 3 weeks we might be finished. I'll post photos at that point, although - as per usual - I didn't take any before photos. I don't know why I never do - I just don't think of it, I suppose. Suffice to say, it was a celebration of wood veneer when we started. :- /

We've decided only to put a powder room downstairs. We originally wanted a full bath, but we really don't need it, and I'm done renovating houses for other people / when we sell. I want this house for ME, so I'm doing the things I want. We're planning a lot of outside work, starting next year - lots of cobblestone, a new, wide, stone staircase from the back yard down to the basement, a large, in-ground hot tub / quarter pool, a pergola, re-doing all the fences, and so on and so on. It's hard not to get ahead of myself and keep saying "I'll like it WHEN..." I need to remember that I love my house NOW, and enjoy it as such. When all is said and done, the things I value most are on the inside. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so beautiful, @missy. The finishes are lovely! And I agree - the white looks wonderful.
Thank you so much!
It's exactly what I wanted and as you wrote we did it for us so did what we wanted to do (well for me really but that is OK as that is what Greg wanted to do-make me happy-smart man:cool2:).

I want this house for ME, so I'm doing the things I want
I need to remember that I love my house NOW, and enjoy it as such.
When all is said and done, the things I value most are on the inside. :)

Yes. Wise words indeed. So glad for you @mrs-b and I cannot wait to see your finished photos. I know it will be gorgeous.:love:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy your pictures are beautiful Missy, it all turned out perfectly gorgeous.. You must be so pleased... :) No updates from me, nothing from the decorater, the new Bosch stove and microwave must be in and maybe the under counter lights and new fixtures in the dining room and foyer, new fan won't be in for several weeks because she and I just discussed it early in this week. The tile for the bar/laundry/entry is on back order, the white quartz countertop is in though.. As the electricans worked on the electricity, they shut off the electricity of course and my camera in the family room isn't working now, probably has to be restarted so we aren't getting pix of inside anymore. I'm glad in one way I was in Florida for this whole shebang (talk about a word no millenial will know!).. Not sure when the wallpaper will go up as we haven't heard, right now just looking forward to book reading by the pool :)

(((MISSY)))) Kate

And updated pics from just now.

So I am pleased with our choice of white. It's a small kitchen and I think our white color scheme opens everything up and brightens the space considerably.
Looking forward to seeing it in person in hopefully a few weeks. Greg is only there for another hour or so because we have plans this afternoon but he is hoping to get there next week or weekend to start putting things away and cleaning up. And then the final reveal.

@Tekate any kitchen/home updates?

@partgypsy have you made your final choices yet?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's latest updates.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy your pictures are beautiful Missy, it all turned out perfectly gorgeous.. You must be so pleased... :) No updates from me, nothing from the decorater, the new Bosch stove and microwave must be in and maybe the under counter lights and new fixtures in the dining room and foyer, new fan won't be in for several weeks because she and I just discussed it early in this week. The tile for the bar/laundry/entry is on back order, the white quartz countertop is in though.. As the electricans worked on the electricity, they shut off the electricity of course and my camera in the family room isn't working now, probably has to be restarted so we aren't getting pix of inside anymore. I'm glad in one way I was in Florida for this whole shebang (talk about a word no millenial will know!).. Not sure when the wallpaper will go up as we haven't heard, right now just looking forward to book reading by the pool :)

(((MISSY)))) Kate

Aww thank you sweet Kate and (((HUGS))) to you too. And I am with you. It can be best be away for the whole shebang (haha that is a word I am well acquainted with :bigsmile:). Sometimes it is better just to be (zen) while all the action is happening and be somewhat removed from the stress of it all.
Fingers crossed for you that it will all turn out beautifully!:appl:

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I sent her a note today asking when she'd like to know about any changes we might want. It's been a bit different between the sales consultant and the design consultant. The SC wants all of our ideas and changes immediately (as all of those things were supposed to be in within the first 30 days), whereas it turns out the DC wants us to wait until the very end because she gets overwhelmed otherwise (and we get 60 days for those decisions). So my note was asking IF she had submitted any of our requests for pricing (we have to pay for each pricing request we submit) because some of those have now changed, and when she wanted us to give her an updated list. So far I haven't heard back but I did send it late in the day.

After having several things overlooked by both SC and DC I've taken to creating spreadsheets for them so that nothing gets lost or done incorrectly. This way we're all on the same page (and I am in control, not depending on others to get it right).

Given the price you are likely paying and the complexity of your project, I find it appalling that you have to pay for price estimates for upgrades before you have even started construction. Just sayin.....

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those white counter tops do look really nice! You are all really moving on your renos!
I do really like the typhoon green, but at this time I think it would be a shame to paint the cabinets, since the doors are solid maple. If they were plywood I would be down for that. Maybe in 20 years when I'm bored with them I'll paint them. The Hawaii I saw was overall a lighter color, but did have a lot of other colors in there, thin almost black lines, browns, yellows. Not very much green, really. I do really like the typhoon, but I agree it would look better if it was an accent in an all neutral (off white) type kitchen. Now I just need to go one more time, and decide between the hawaii, take 1 more look at the andromeda with my samples, and also look at the man made quartz, if I wanted a solid, off white color. I'm sure I would really like a quartz if I installed it (especially the no fuss aspect of it!) just that I'm not "excited" by it. My sister noted to me, that coming to NC reminds her of the beach, and I have decorated my house to feel more like a vacation home in lighter colors. Both the hawaii and a solid neutral surface would mesh. Now to pick a ceiling light fixture! I'm thinking of something like 3 lights hanging in a row for overall lighting and where the table will be.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK girls so another decision needs to be made...Greg is at the house now and sent me some pics. As you might remember I want to salvage the original dutch door (we will be getting a new storm door). So in the upcoming months my dh will be sanding it refinishing it etc. and I have to choose the color. The outside trim is sort of bronze/brown/gray. And so for the outside of the door I am leaning towards a gray brown. For the inside either white or lighter gray to match the Carrara backsplash.

Outside of door

beachkitchendoor.jpg

inside

beachkitchendoorinside.jpg

the outside trim color
outsidetrimbeachhouse.jpg

People were skinnier in those days haha. Such a narrow opening re the dutch door. Our main door is wider but this is the kitchen entrance.
So I would love hearing thoughts re color scheme. White or lighter gray inside and a sort of gray brown outside. We went to Benjamin Moore yesterday and I have samples but have-not gone through them just yet.
White for the inside, unless you want it to be a bit of an accent. Maybe instead hang a pretty gray/white medallion of some sorts on the door?

The the gray-brown on the outside sounds perfect.

It's looking really great Missy!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those white counter tops do look really nice! You are all really moving on your renos!
I do really like the typhoon green, but at this time I think it would be a shame to paint the cabinets, since the doors are solid maple. If they were plywood I would be down for that. Maybe in 20 years when I'm bored with them I'll paint them. The Hawaii I saw was overall a lighter color, but did have a lot of other colors in there, thin almost black lines, browns, yellows. Not very much green, really. I do really like the typhoon, but I agree it would look better if it was an accent in an all neutral (off white) type kitchen. Now I just need to go one more time, and decide between the hawaii, take 1 more look at the andromeda with my samples, and also look at the man made quartz, if I wanted a solid, off white color. I'm sure I would really like a quartz if I installed it (especially the no fuss aspect of it!) just that I'm not "excited" by it. My sister noted to me, that coming to NC reminds her of the beach, and I have decorated my house to feel more like a vacation home in lighter colors. Both the hawaii and a solid neutral surface would mesh. Now to pick a ceiling light fixture! I'm thinking of something like 3 lights hanging in a row for overall lighting and where the table will be.

Lots of choices and I get your reasoning. Tough decisions. I love solid maple cabinets (and we unstained maple in brooklyn and love them) and agree you should leave those. They’re gorgeous.

Thanks for the compliment and good luck with your decisions!

White for the inside, unless you want it to be a bit of an accent. Maybe instead hang a pretty gray/white medallion of some sorts on the door?

The the gray-brown on the outside sounds perfect.

It's looking really great Missy!!

Thank you @ILikeShiny!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given the price you are likely paying and the complexity of your project, I find it appalling that you have to pay for price estimates for upgrades before you have even started construction. Just sayin.....

Oh believe me, we've had this conversation with them. This builder builds homes all over the country and all over the spectrum of price point, and very few homes are built in our range (maybe 5-10% of their overall business). The problem for us is that they cater to the masses and provide options that are low to mid-level in quality and design, basically neglecting those in the upper tier. As I've said to our rep, when you're building a 7-figure home you don't want to put in entry-level ANYTHING. We literally had two faucets to choose from, one laundry sink (white plastic), a 6x6 white tile was our standard in the bathrooms, and carpet so bare you could probably see through it. And so I don't sound too much like a snob, I totally get those options and have had them in previous homes when I was younger and less well-off. Now that I can afford nicer things though, I want that option!!!

My suggestion to them was to have different tiers of options for different price points. That way everyone is happy.

I just counted it up and we have over 30 "non-standard" items already and have also completely redesigned the kitchen island, fireplace, and master bathroom. We've also tweaked the beverage center and master bedroom.

On top of having to pay a fee for every time we want a quote for a non-standard item, we also have to pay in full any design item we decide to get. So, for example, the granite we want isn't on their standard list. They carry Delicatus Brown but not Delicatus White. They are the SAME PRICE from the granite place (I even have it in writing), but because they don't typically offer it we have to pay for the granite in full. By changing the color of the beverage center cabinets we have to now pay for THOSE cabinets in full, because they typically order them the same color as the kitchen. Add a prep sink to the island? In full. Want a granite backsplash? In full. Want a backsplash in a tile they don't typically use? In full. Want a sink they don't offer (even if it's from the same manufacturer)? IN FULL. And let's not forget the SubZero refrigerator...

So we'll be writing a check for probably $60,000+ here in the next few weeks. DH and I keep reminding each other to just breathe and that it will all be worth it in the end. The sole consolation in this is that the money goes towards the down payment, so it's really just a matter of paying NOW versus paying in a year.

Maybe it wouldn't be so painful if we weren't also having our wedding and honeymoon in Italy in just a couple of months!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results