shape
carat
color
clarity

Please show me your backsplash...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ILikeShiny, What about a white-on-white with different textures? My backsplash is like an ovalish subway shape with four different white textures.

GetFileAttachment

GetFileAttachment

GetFileAttachment

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also did the carry-the-granite-up-the-wall option at my boathouse, which I thought added some good visual texture.

genMid.18007041_1_0.jpg

genMid.18007041_2_0.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is spectacular!!!

I also did the carry-the-granite-up-the-wall option at my boathouse, which I thought added some good visual texture.

genMid.18007041_1_0.jpg

genMid.18007041_2_0.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tekate what color paint is that? gorgeous!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok back!!!

So I like this tile. I think it would work really well with white cabinets AND not be boring.
contemporary-kitchen9.jpg

contemporary-kitchen88.jpg

Hi Arcadian,

Do you recall where the first photo is from? I like the counter (and the backsplash!) I see the Divine Kitchens mark, but there are a few of them out there. Thanks!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So now I'm going to post some very odd stuff...yes forgive me but its all about backsplash

This one is REALLY for the backsplash. The overall look is too fussy for my personal taste, but I love the backsplash because gemfreak that I am, its mother of pearl!!
traditional-kitchenmmp.jpg

contemporary-kitchen63.jpg
I like how this graduates upward into the white tiles

transitional-kitchen444.jpg
this one is also graduated but with dark browns/tans

@missy I was looking at some of these and was like (I think Missy will like this one...lol)

I believe that sometimes, its ok to not play it so safe. For instance, in my old bathroom I used irridescent purple glass italian tiles as backsplash over the sink. Sound like it would be gross, especially paired with a green paint, but it wasn't at all. The floor was dark, and shower was neutral stone and the mirrors echoed the flooring on the walls. The funny part was, the tile was quite expensive (we went to a designer tile store) and I was going to pick out something totally different. I loved it but rejected it. HE was the one that said, "OMG GET IT!!!!" And he also told me, "listen, its just tile. if you don't like it when its up, get something else." My thought was at the time, he wasn't the installer I was, and I was going to have to remove it.....lol but he was right!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So now I'm going to post some very odd stuff...yes forgive me but its all about backsplash

This one is REALLY for the backsplash. The overall look is too fussy for my personal taste, but I love the backsplash because gemfreak that I am, its mother of pearl!!

contemporary-kitchen63.jpg
I like how this graduates upward into the white tiles

transitional-kitchen444.jpg
this one is also graduated but with dark browns/tans

@missy I was looking at some of these and was like (I think Missy will like this one...lol)

I believe that sometimes, its ok to not play it so safe. For instance, in my old bathroom I used irridescent purple glass italian tiles as backsplash over the sink. Sound like it would be gross, especially paired with a green paint, but it wasn't at all. The floor was dark, and shower was neutral stone and the mirrors echoed the flooring on the walls. The funny part was, the tile was quite expensive (we went to a designer tile store) and I was going to pick out something totally different. I loved it but rejected it. HE was the one that said, "OMG GET IT!!!!" And he also told me, "listen, its just tile. if you don't like it when its up, get something else." My thought was at the time, he wasn't the installer I was, and I was going to have to remove it.....lol but he was right!

Haha thank you Arcadian! I give myself permission to be simple aka boring in my kitchen aesthetic. I just am a minimalist at heart. Have always been. But I appreciate all styles and in fact have come to enjoy many “louder” styles but my heart belongs to the quiet and simple monochromatic colors.

I love blue backsplashes but more for the bathroom though our brooklyn backsplash is Blue Ann Sachs mosaic tile that I just love. :love:

Loving all the gorgeous styles shared here. I appreciate every single one of them. :appl:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
transitional-kitchen44.jpg

carraramarbleherringbonebacksplash.jpg

transitional-kitchen77.jpg

transitional-kitchen99.jpg

traditional-kitchen55.jpg

@missy @Arcadian @Tekate @rocks - Yes! All of these appeal to me. See the slight shimmery, reflectiveness of the first two? That's what I had meant by doing something "shiny". Because it's such a large area though I don't know if it would be overwhelming.

And I LOVE textured tile. My absolute favorite one is this one :love:
image.jpg
And here it is used in a room:
Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 10.41.51 AM.png
But sadly, I think it would compete too much with the busyness of my granite.

I guess I just really like things with visual interest, whether it's the texture, pattern, or reflectivity. I don't want something that completely blends.

For what it is worth I'd either do the granite or something in the same tone as the white in the granite but with a little bit of variation. I do like the arabesque. It comes in loads of materials and tones. Like missy, I'm a minimalist. I find too many patterns to be chaotic. I guess my big issue is that the granite is beautiful (coming from a girl who loves white kitchens and white marble (thassos, calacutta.....) that is quite a compliment...) and with a complicated backsplash I wouldn't know where to look.....

If you don't like the builders choices....get an offset and wait. You can live without a backsplash until you decide. Ripping it out is a mess to be avoided....imo.

Very very true. I think I'm leaning more and more to doing the granite backsplash if it's not crazy in cost. If it is, I'd like to make the arabesque work somehow but may do nothing at first and just live with a plain wall until I get a good feel for what would look best.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very very true. I think I'm leaning more and more to doing the granite backsplash if it's not crazy in cost. If it is, I'd like to make the arabesque work somehow but may do nothing at first and just live with a plain wall until I get a good feel for what would look best.

Yes!!! My hope is it’s reasonably priced so you can just get what your heart desires. Fingers crossed for you.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ILikeShiny, What about a white-on-white with different textures? My backsplash is like an ovalish subway shape with four different white textures.

GetFileAttachment

GetFileAttachment

GetFileAttachment
Let me first say that I love having different textures. I think it is so neat!! I didn't share it here because I feel like I'm constantly changing my mind, but we ended up changing our door selection to one that has four different types of glass in it. Your tile is very striking and I love the different reflections the finishes give.

That being said, I've always had a problem using white when there's also ivory. I feel like I'm either trying to match the ivory and missed or should have chosen white for both things. It's a real disservice because there are so many great white options out there but I can't get my brain to be okay with it o_O

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is the exact look I was mentioning earlier when I posted this photo:
b628c0c780d8257069efd42da41027c2.jpg
There's just something about it that makes me smile! Of course, there's also something about it that makes me feel like I'm in the 70's - lol!

Maybe I should do the MOP tile for the "beverage center" area?? It's separated from the kitchen by enough that I could get away with doing something different.
Kitchen and BP.png
That brings another question too... what color should I do the cabinets in the BC? The off-white of the kitchen cabinets or the black of the island cabinets? If it wouldn't look too "off", I think doing the BC cabinets in black with that gray MOP tile and the same granite could look really cool! Opinions???

Here's an interior view of the area:
image014.png

Last edited:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I request some backsplash and paint help for my kitchen?
The floor is marmoleum fresco lagoon:https://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-u...um-marbled-sheet/marmoleum-fresco/bq3669#3882
The cabinets are millspride fairfield (a light maple) https://www.google.com/search?q=mil...AUIDCgD&biw=1280&bih=893#imgrc=qTz3BARCQsoZsM:
I'm 90 % sure I'm going to pick andromeda white for my countertop, just because I really like how it looks, and it is on the light side, almost looks like marbe to me.
https://www.google.com/search?q=and...AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=893#imgrc=3TXKiqhV8z5N1M:

My favorite colors are blue and green. In fact was considering getting green typhoon as granite, but as that is green, a controversial choice that maybe others would hate.

So,
a) what would you paint the walls? I was thinking a neutral, like an ivory, light yellow or light cocoa brown? b) what would you do for backsplash? For backsplash i was thinking either white subway or hex tile, a neutral tile, OR a pretty or green color like
merola galaxy penny tile https://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-...9-mm-Porcelain-Mosaic-Tile-WSHGPRSK/206001553
Has anyone else done penny tile for a backplash? Is it problematic due to all the exposed grout? I just think it's really pretty. But I also really like subway or hex tile as well. Bonus points if you can recommend an economical (less than $10 a square feet or less!) but still good-looking choice.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Arcadian,

Do you recall where the first photo is from? I like the counter (and the backsplash!) I see the Divine Kitchens mark, but there are a few of them out there. Thanks!

I did a google search which is where I pulled it from. Let me look through my history, sometimes I can find direct websites that way.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PartyGypsy I love your cabinets and flooring.. I have seen pictures of penny backsplashes and counters, it's really cool looking I think.

I stink at putting ideas/thoughts/seeing together that is why I hired a decorator! so I don't think I can help at all except to cheer you on and see what the others say as they all have great ideas.. when Iluvshiny puts out her suggestions on her rooms and tiles and colors I get confused (possibly due to being 65, but I was like this at 20) everyone has such great taste.. renovation is fun. I will say that my Austin house had gorgeous light maple cabinets and we painted the walls (after a grueling takedown of wallpaper on walls that were not prepped for paper ugh).. a yellow, I got more compliments on the color! I'll try and find a pix!

Can't wait to see how yours turns out. this is fun!

Added just now: I think green typhoon is beautiful!!!! it would look very nice.

**edited at OP request**

this is what my house looked like when it went up for sale in Austin let me tell you it never looked like that when I lived in it.. of course, like everyone these days, I had it staged. You can't really tell the color of the kitchen, but it was a very light but nice yellow.

The floor is marmoleum fresco lagoon:https://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-u...um-marbled-sheet/marmoleum-fresco/bq3669#3882
The cabinets are millspride fairfield (a light maple) https://www.google.com/search?q=mil...AUIDCgD&biw=1280&bih=893#imgrc=qTz3BARCQsoZsM:
I'm 90 % sure I'm going to pick andromeda white for my countertop, just because I really like how it looks, and it is on the light side, almost looks like marbe to me.
https://www.google.com/search?q=and...AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=893#imgrc=3TXKiqhV8z5N1M:

My favorite colors are blue and green. In fact was considering getting green typhoon as granite, but as that is green, a controversial choice that maybe others would hate.

So,
a) what would you paint the walls? I was thinking a neutral, like an ivory, light yellow or light cocoa brown? b) what would you do for backsplash? For backsplash i was thinking either white subway or hex tile, a neutral tile, OR a pretty or green color like
merola galaxy penny tile https://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-...9-mm-Porcelain-Mosaic-Tile-WSHGPRSK/206001553
Has anyone else done penny tile for a backplash? Is it problematic due to all the exposed grout? I just think it's really pretty. But I also really like subway or hex tile as well. Bonus points if you can recommend an economical (less than $10 a square feet or less!) but still good-looking choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's just something about it that makes me smile! Of course, there's also something about it that makes me feel like I'm in the 70's - lol!

Maybe I should do the MOP tile for the "beverage center" area?? It's separated from the kitchen by enough that I could get away with doing something different.
Kitchen and BP.png
That brings another question too... what color should I do the cabinets in the BC? The off-white of the kitchen cabinets or the black of the island cabinets? If it wouldn't look too "off", I think doing the BC cabinets in black with that gray MOP tile and the same granite could look really cool! Opinions???

image014.png

Its a beverage center. it should be swank. Got room for a chandalier in there? LOL

I would go with the dark cabinet. What color is the BC refrigerator? Any type of irridescent tile can throw around a lot of light.

On the purple irridescent glass tile, my main secondary (strange enough) was green. That of coure made it OK to use a light green on the walls!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tekate what color paint is that? gorgeous!!!

@missy and @Arcadian thank you Arcadian! I like it, and Missy the backsplash will be smokey glass subway tiles offset I think (I better ask, I think she said offset) the tile is not in yet because they had to put the new lights under the cabinets and move and add some outlets.. The paint is called Stone Hearth from Benjamin Moore. thank you all for your kind thoughts and words I REALLY appreciate it, as someday I will tell you about my house in Austin and how it came out so horrible, but this thread is great and happy.. and I fixed the A town house eventually. :)

stone hearth.jpg

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a beverage center. it should be swank. Got room for a chandalier in there? LOL

I would go with the dark cabinet. What color is the BC refrigerator? Any type of irridescent tile can throw around a lot of light.

On the purple irridescent glass tile, my main secondary (strange enough) was green. That of course made it OK to use a light green on the walls!

Haha... thanks for the laugh :)

Okay, dark cabinet and gray MOP tiles in the BC. Sounds good to me. Now I need to get to the tile center, which unfortunately won't be happening today as we're at 4" of snow and counting :whistle:

And I'd LOVE to do a purple glass tile; I don't think I could swing it with the granite though. But maybe somehow work it in to my bathroom.... :mrgreen2:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So,
partgypsycolors.png

From what you gave me this is what I came up with. The only thing that worries me is the countertop. Maybe because its an online thing, and I'm hoping its lighter in person. My thought is choose a neutral for wall color. I'd go with an offwhite.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So,

partgypsycolors.png

From what you gave me this is what I came up with. The only thing that worries me is the countertop. Maybe because its an online thing, and I'm hoping its lighter in person. My thought is choose a neutral for wall color. I'd go with an offwhite.

Yes definitely choose neutral for wall color. So many white and off white choices would work. And I love @Arcadian's choices.
That is a daring countertop but if you love it go for it.:appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
partgypsycolors.png

@partgypsy would you consider a white subway tile with a pennytile border running through it as your backsplash?

https://www.houzz.com/photo/3224205-contemporary-kitchen-contemporary-kitchen

This way you get the white tile, helps brighten things a bit. THEN, you get a splash of color running through the sea of white.

You will need to seal that grout, no matter which one you do.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So,

I would probably do the walls in a nice light-medium gray to pick up the gray in the granite and the backsplash in a beveled white subway tile, like this ($4.50/sqft) - https://tilebar.com/basic-3x6-beveled-white-ceramic-tile.html

Btw, love your flooring... so bright and cheery!

ETA: I've seen penny backsplashes and it IS a lot of grout...

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
partgypsycolors.png

Ooh thanks Arcardian for putting it all together. Awesome!
Tekate your house was Swank! I don't see the yellow in the kitchen for whatever reason.
Yes for the amount of grout needed, more likely to go subway tile instead.
To make it even more confusing, my current table is yellow formica and chrome! it is a fun super usable table. It would be cool if I can keep it so that's why I was thinking a super light yellow might unite everything. (this could be my table) https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=UeLugUGv&id=C62860811F8D8D0F2E66803AF3F3EBFAF67C3540&thid=OIP.UeLugUGvtqIYEtQNJ6QVGwHaFu&mediaurl=http://seeur.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/1950s-yellow-formica-table-.jpg&exph=612&expw=792&q=yellow+formica+table&simid=608005661506538208&selectedIndex=5&ajaxhist=0
However the table is not a deal breaker. I am more interested in a light cheerful but calm place to cook and eat.

The other granite colors I am considering are: steel gray (a dark/medium gray). I've seen a lot of maple cabs with dark tops so I know that part would work, but it would cool/darken the room. Wild card choice is Hawaii. The thumbnail of it I saw on the website I didn't like, but I really liked the slabs of it I saw at the place in person. The slabs were a little lighter/less busy than pics on the web. It definitely has a lot more going on than the Andromeda, but it would work with a yellow paint color. I have photos of the samples on my phone, but I would need to edit them somehow because they are too big to post.

I think the mop is gorgeous, but I'm a messy cook, need something that will wash well. But that would be gorgeous for a bar area or bathroom.

Last edited:

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_5966.JPG IMG_5966.JPG
transitional-kitchen44.jpg

carraramarbleherringbonebacksplash.jpg

transitional-kitchen77.jpg

transitional-kitchen99.jpg

traditional-kitchen55.jpg

@missy @Arcadian @Tekate @rocks - Yes! All of these appeal to me. See the slight shimmery, reflectiveness of the first two? That's what I had meant by doing something "shiny". Because it's such a large area though I don't know if it would be overwhelming.

And I LOVE textured tile. My absolute favorite one is this one :love:
image.jpg
And here it is used in a room:
Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 10.41.51 AM.png
But sadly, I think it would compete too much with the busyness of my granite.

I guess I just really like things with visual interest, whether it's the texture, pattern, or reflectivity. I don't want something that completely blends.

Your favorite, the basketweave is what we used above the range (ceramic version). Our kitchen guy used a similar tile throughout in a larger kitchen and it was gorgeous. It was too much in our kitchen So I used it as an accent. I loved the travertine, but the color didn't work with our choice of countertop and it did not come in Thassos or calacatta. It is beautiful and not crazy expensive. There are also coordinating tiles. One thing to note...you need a meticulous installer.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Kitchen and BP.png

image014.png

Beverage center...same cabinets as the kitchen. I would want it to be a continuation of the kitchen.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, we just gutted our kitchen and have ordered all the new stuff for it. I'm thinking subway tiles for ours, but tiny ones like this:
upload_2017-12-4_17-0-31.png .

If your home is indeed a cottage, the small tiles give an air of largeness to this space.

I saw this at a $3mil open house recently. It was STUNNING!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kitchenbefore001.jpg Please excuse dirty kitchen, but just an idea. I will replace backsplash. Current countertop is a muted/light peach color.
Here are some photos of samples. The main difference is the colors are more intense in real life. andromedawhiteslab.jpg andromedawhitesample.jpg hawaiislab.jpg hawaiisample.jpg steelgraysample.jpg Order of Andromeda, Hawaii, and steelgray. Underneath Steel gray you can see a little of typhoon green.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results