shape
carat
color
clarity

Please show me your backsplash...

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG @missy, you brought back some memories for me.....

Back in the early 70's my grandmother had my uncle, the house builder, cover those gorgeous dark wood floors in her house with white shag carpet.

Oh and we could NOT walk on that carpet with shoes on! Starting from the front door, you had a vinyl runners had paths lead ALL.THE.WAY.THROUGH.THE.HOUSE. :lol::eek-2::lol-2: You had to walk on it or get your tail tore up.

And the white furniture in the living room that NOBODY could sit on. But oh wait, you could sit on the yellow furniture that was covered in heavy ass plastic....:lol-2:

Oh thats not the worst of it.

Anyone remember stalactites phase? No? Well its popcorn ceiling taking to exteme levels. They had gorgeous dark beams throughout the first floor. This man put them thangs all over the ceiling, in between the beams, and covered them with glitter.:lol:

As we now know that stuff had asbestos but back then they just put up any ol thang!

The only place he did not do was the kitchen, but that was covered in yellow and green wallpaper so there you are.

My grandfather just let her have what she wanted.

And now you just brought back memories for me!! My mom put down those plastic runners in our home too. I still remember the little nubbies on the back and the sound they'd make when you pulled up the runner to rearrange it . And YES, we had the plastic cover on the furniture too :eek2:. It's not like we were muddy monsters, but looking back I guess my Mom always was a bit of a neat freak :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And now you just brought back memories for me!! My mom put down those plastic runners in our home too. I still remember the little nubbies on the back and the sound they'd make when you pulled up the runner to rearrange it . And YES, we had the plastic cover on the furniture too :eek2:. It's not like we were muddy monsters, but looking back I guess my Mom always was a bit of a neat freak :lol:

Hahaha I guess this is one of the advantages of growing up with dogs. My parents just gave up haha. I mean our house was very clean (mom is a cleaning nut lol) but the furniture and floors were quite lived in. When one has pets generally it’s a choice. Perfect furniture and perfect house or furbabies. My family always chose (and still does) the latter. And omg don’t get me started on the animal hair everywhere no matter what you do. ::)

But awww how can you resist? My dh who likes order and neat clean homes and who didn’t grow up with pets and is extremely allergic (allergy shots since we’ve been together) wouldn’t have it any other way either.

B52F6E09-3D1A-4E86-9174-C79BE4A26023.gif E2065470-96D9-43B4-8297-103BB7A28DC3.gif

Though yes I remember my father”s parents plastic on the furniture. Omg not comfie at all. :P2

@ILikeShiny you have the right idea re the cost. Just put it all in perspective and in the long run it’s worth it. (And I say this still feeling the repercussions of the ridiculous expense of our renovations too but keeping a healthy perspective about it). All this aggravation and expense will be a distant memory. You have exciting things coming up. All happy and much to look forward to. :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04 - Kitchen looks great! A few questions for you -- were the cabinet doors sprayed? What's the name of the granite you chose?

Still working on my kitchen design choices. We had our entire ceiling replaced and new leds/fixtures put in. They just finished painting this morning and we are quite happy with the ceiling. Now on to the more daunting ceiling choices. So hard for me!

@Loves Vintage -- so sorry I'm just now seeing this, and thanks for your kind words!

Yes, our cabinet doors were sprayed, while the bases were hand painted. The spraying looks amazing and I would never even consider hand painting those... Spraying allows for thicker paint that is pretty much flawless.

I don't remember the name of the granite though (it came from Lowe's)... I'll include a photo of the sample. Hope this helps!

AAB3894F-C111-46C8-9D9B-130D2772C53F.jpeg

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't remember the name of the granite though (it came from Lowe's)... I'll include a photo of the sample. Hope this helps!

AAB3894F-C111-46C8-9D9B-130D2772C53F.jpeg
Does it look like this in larger scale?
E400C8E3-F67A-47CC-A0DE-E80A2E569445.jpeg
If so, it’s Luna Pearl. I only know because it’s what we chose for our bathrooms (and not that I’m some encyclopedia of granites!).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it look like this in larger scale?
E400C8E3-F67A-47CC-A0DE-E80A2E569445.jpeg
If so, it’s Luna Pearl. I only know because it’s what we chose for our bathrooms (and not that I’m some encyclopedia of granites!).

It's not that busy (the variation isn't as tight), but it could just be the sample we got... same colors. Ivory, gray, green, and even hints of aubergine.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Loves Vintage and @ILikeShiny ... I've been looking at Pinterest, and I'm almost positive the color was "Colonial White" or "White Ice" at Lowe's.

It was COLONIAL WHITE. :halo:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we talk island pendant lights? I'm stuck on what style to get. Something with a rustic feel... maybe black wrought-iron and maybe frosted/etched glass (I don't like clear glass or seeing the actual lightbulb)? Or something more simple like just glass with a lightbulb? Maybe a bit fancy, just for something fun?

Here are examples of what I've found that's piqued my interest:

fbadf1f896f5d86ecf2d48a6dc89da38.jpg

95aa4ad368097d8d8e4dbdd3d0a4e8a9.jpg

b3ac096f9cf2ce24c7a48bb170dafe1e.jpg

bd5ca25a15158c95a880bb25da731e41.jpg

19013f300875016ddfcbdb0c42e8c4ce.jpg

Since our island is 11-feet long (and 5.5 feet wide), I'm also wondering if I should do 3 or 4 pendants (and what size).

The total kitchen area is around 18' x 20'.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_5432.JPG Ta
Can we talk island pendant lights? I'm stuck on what style to get. Something with a rustic feel... maybe black wrought-iron and maybe frosted/etched glass (I don't like clear glass or seeing the actual lightbulb)? Or something more simple like just glass with a lightbulb? Maybe a bit fancy, just for something fun?

Since our island is 11-feet long (and 5.5 feet wide), I'm also wondering if I should do 3 or 4 pendants (and what size).

Take a look at hubbardton forge lighting and Hudson valley lighting. Right up your alley. Also, there is a formula for the number of pendants above an island that is based on the size (diameter) of the pendants. Our island is 6 or 6 1/2 feet in length and we went with 3 smaller scale pendants. I think you will need 5 small scale or three large.

The first one you posted is very small...May be overwhelmed by the size of your island. the single is pretty large, so 2 or 3. The photos with multiples are medium size, so likely 3 or 4. Need the diameter of each fixture

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we talk island pendant lights?

I LOVE this style, and will likely use it if we ever get a new house with a larger kitchen! *fingers crossed*

I like an odd number of pendant lights, so I'd do 3... and place one in the middle of the island (at 5.5 ft or 66"), and the other two approximately 36" out from the middle pendant (at 30" and 102"). So just a smidge further than 1/2 the distance from the ends. UNLESS they are slimmer... then I'd have get crazy with it and do 5 lights. LOL

RE: size... I'd go for the larger ones like above, so it won't be busy (and you won't need 4)

...yeah, I'm OCD (read: crazy) like that. :shifty:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE this style, and will likely use it if we ever get a new house with a larger kitchen! *fingers crossed*

I like an odd number of pendant lights, so I'd do 3... and place one in the middle of the island (at 5.5 ft or 66"), and the other two approximately 36" out from the middle pendant (at 30" and 102"). So just a smidge further than 1/2 the distance from the ends. UNLESS they are slimmer... then I'd have get crazy with it and do 5 lights. LOL

RE: size... I'd go for the larger ones like above, so it won't be busy (and you won't need 4)

I'm very OCD about these kinds of details too, so I appreciate the measurements!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm very OCD about these kinds of details too, so I appreciate the measurements!

Glad I'm not the only one... DH thinks I'm ridiculous. :shifty::halo:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we talk island pendant lights?

Yes! Definitely prefer an odd number of pendant lights and yes measurements super important. And another critical feature is make sure you have enough light wattage wise. And also make sure the ones you get can take the light you want. LED is nice because it is cool and doesn't give off too much heat and you can adjust the color white to yellow. You know that's important when enjoying our bling.:cool2:

It's a dizzying number of choices pendant light style. I like what you have posted so far.
Here's one more I'll throw into the mix.
I really like this style of pendant.
pendantlighting.jpg

pendantatbeach.jpg

Just a one more
kenroypendant.jpg

I also like this pendant which you posted above.

And lol it's not OCD IMO to make sure you have all your bases covered. That way you minimize the unpleasant surprises. Lots of variables to consider.

Attachments

• dreamkitchen.jpg
    dreamkitchen.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 29

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Second and fifth look like elegant lighting...great manufacturer.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case anyone else is looking for lighting I wanted to share a website I just found. It's the first one I've been truly impressed with in terms of beautiful selections and reasonable prices :clap:

https://www.shadesoflight.com/pages/pendants

That will take you to the page of pendants, but they have every kind of lighting available.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Second and fifth look like elegant lighting...great manufacturer.
Thanks Rocks. I keep being drawn to the second one, I think because it's so different from everything else I'll have. It can give a formal and elegant vibe for sure, but I'm wondering if I could make it a casual elegant/whimsical fun piece too. Of course, I'm also drawn to the lantern/cylinder style too. Very different, I know. Part of me wants to choose three different pendants so I can satisfy all of my likes :lol:

I also found this one I like for the same reasons - shiny but whimsical, with a very earthy/floral vibe :)
611728261682.jpg

And one that I really like if I want to play it safe
LA10033.1.LA10033BZ.jpg

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And one that I really like if I want to play it safe
LA10033.1.LA10033BZ.jpg

I really love this one!! :love::love: ...and I wouldn't call it "playing it safe" -- just classic, and will never go out of style. ;-) I really like that it's more substantial and has three lights. You could definitely do three of these for your 11' island and have a nice amount of light.

OOPS! Just saw it has 4 lights... even better! ;-)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooooo can I ask how high are your ceilings? We're talking 10ft+?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Loves Vintage and @ILikeShiny ... I've been looking at Pinterest, and I'm almost positive the color was "Colonial White" or "White Ice" at Lowe's.

It was COLONIAL WHITE. :halo:

Thank you! We are going to check it out in person. We've been at a stand-still because neither of us have the motivation to check things out in person at the moment!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooooo can I ask how high are your ceilings? We're talking 10ft+?
Yep! Ten feet for the main level, and either 9 or 10 on the upper level. It's a very open feel as it faces both the family room and living room (open to ceiling), and each have windows across the entire back wall (that will look out onto trees). This is a photo of the same model of house; you can see the kitchen in the back (it's a different kitchen layout, but you get the idea in terms of space)
family room.JPG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep! Ten feet for the main level, and either 9 or 10 on the upper level. It's a very open feel as it faces both the family room and living room (open to ceiling), and each have windows across the entire back wall (that will look out onto trees). This is a photo of the same model of house; you can see the kitchen in the back (it's a different kitchen layout, but you get the idea in terms of space)
family room.JPG

Beautiful and I love all the light in the space! Question- what are you doing for window treatments?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and I love all the light in the space! Question- what are you doing for window treatments?
Thanks!

And not one damn thing, except maybe for some SPF tinting on the outside :mrgreen2:. I have no desire to cover those windows at all. We face the woods so need to worry about neighbors seeing in. I might eventually put in some very light and compact drop-down shades if the sun proves to be an issue with watching the TV, but other than that I'm good ;)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!

And not one damn thing, except maybe for some SPF tinting on the outside :mrgreen2:. I have no desire to cover those windows at all. We face the woods so need to worry about neighbors seeing in. I might eventually put in some very light and compact drop-down shades if the sun proves to be an issue with watching the TV, but other than that I'm good ;)2

Sounds like a good plan. I just know depending on what you are using the room for sometimes the brightness can interfere but it sounds like you are good with it. I would definitely consider SPF tinting just so you don't get harmful UV ray exposure when you are inside.

I have also watched too many horror movies and at night especially with the woods right there I would want some window treatment for privacy but I get that most people aren't as spooked about that as I am haha.
Love the space!:appl:

Any updates from your consultant?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a good plan. I just know depending on what you are using the room for sometimes the brightness can interfere but it sounds like you are good with it. I would definitely consider SPF tinting just so you don't get harmful UV ray exposure when you are inside.

I have also watched too many horror movies and at night especially with the woods right there I would want some window treatment for privacy but I get that most people aren't as spooked about that as I am haha.
Love the space!:appl:

Any updates from your consultant?

Actually, for the first time in decades, I've requested an alarm system. While I'm ecstatic about the 5 wooded acres, it also makes me feel very very vulnerable. So we'll have motion-activated lights around the whole house, cameras as well, and a hi-tech alarm system. And if I still get spooked we'll get blinds =)2. I am putting blinds in the front of the house though since that's at ground level and people could easily see in; the back will be elevated, so much more difficult.

And YES to the consultant! We have a meeting set up for next Thursday to go over every special request prior to their submission. It's one of the reasons I'm feeling antsy about the pendant lights... I want to be able to put in the special request for them when I see her.

But other than that detail, I'm feeling pretty darn good about all of our choices... no lingering doubts of\r feeling like I need to second-guess my choices :dance:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, for the first time in decades, I've requested an alarm system. While I'm ecstatic about the 5 wooded acres, it also makes me feel very very vulnerable. So we'll have motion-activated lights around the whole house, cameras as well, and a hi-tech alarm system. And if I still get spooked we'll get blinds =)2. I am putting blinds in the front of the house though since that's at ground level and people could easily see in; the back will be elevated, so much more difficult.

And YES to the consultant! We have a meeting set up for next Thursday to go over every special request prior to their submission. It's one of the reasons I'm feeling antsy about the pendant lights... I want to be able to put in the special request for them when I see her.

But other than that detail, I'm feeling pretty darn good about all of our choices... no lingering doubts of\r feeling like I need to second-guess my choices :dance:

Sounds great! And yes to the alarm system and motion activated lights and cameras etc. Peace of mind is well worth it. I love our system and I love being able to see what is going on remotely too.
Yay to meeting with your consultant and feeling confident about all your wonderful choices. It's going to be beautiful!
:appl::appl::appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! We are going to check it out in person. We've been at a stand-still because neither of us have the motivation to check things out in person at the moment!

Sweet! I hope it's "the one" for you! :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
family room.JPG

I just wanted to say... this is beautiful.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to say... this is beautiful.
Thank you! Ours will look a little different, as I chose a different color scheme for the stacked stone and we're having them make it a wood-burning double-sided fireplace with a raised flagstone hearth, but this is the general jist. I can already envision sitting by those windows watching the dogs play in the backyard or watching the snow fall :kiss2:

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha I guess this is one of the advantages of growing up with dogs. My parents just gave up haha. I mean our house was very clean (mom is a cleaning nut lol) but the furniture and floors were quite lived in. When one has pets generally it’s a choice. Perfect furniture and perfect house or furbabies. My family always chose (and still does) the latter. And omg don’t get me started on the animal hair everywhere no matter what you do. ::)

My gardener always tells me - "You can have a nice lawn, or you can have dogs. You can't have both."

Oh, so painfully true!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results