shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me evaluate this emerald cut diamond

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Oh @ mamabee!! So excited for you. I would LOVE an emerald cut Diamond as an alternate to my MRB, as well. But only maybe in my dreams when all the kids are finished with med school and grad schools haha. I have no knowledge about emerald cuts. I just love how classy it looks :). Have fun searching for the right one.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh @ mamabee!! So excited for you. I would LOVE an emerald cut Diamond as an alternate to my MRB, as well. But only maybe in my dreams when all the kids are finished with med school and grad schools haha. I have no knowledge about emerald cuts. I just love how classy it looks :). Have fun searching for the right one.

Thank you @Dmndsr4evr11! I’m older than you..We put one through law school and another through grad school quite a while ago…Those were the days..We felt like money was flying out of our pockets! It was! :lol:
I’m trying to stick to the budget but it’s hard. I want it to come directly from him. I also have to fit in a setting…so I will get one from Blue Nile. I can always reset it later..
That seems to be the story of my life..I’ll reset it later..;-)

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you @Dmndsr4evr11! I’m older than you..We put one through law school and another through grad school quite a while ago…Those were the days..We felt like money was flying out of our pockets! It was! :lol:
I’m trying to stick to the budget but it’s hard. I want it to come directly from him. I also have to fit in a setting…so I will get one from Blue Nile. I can always reset it later..

What’s your budget btw?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think @Rhino evaluates diamonds from Blue Nile. Even if this one doesn't work for you, I'm sure he can help you find one that you'll love.

I recently worked with him on a custom cut, and he's really wonderful to work with.

I'm excited for you!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
What’s your budget btw?

It’s $50k all in including tax and the setting. I figure I can spend $45k which would allow for everything…since I’ll get a temp setting from Blue Nile.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think @Rhino evaluates diamonds from Blue Nile. Even if this one doesn't work for you, I'm sure he can help you find one that you'll love.

I recently worked with him on a custom cut, and he's really wonderful to work with.

I'm excited for you!

Thank you @Diamond Girl 21!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

“Like money was flying out of our pockets!” Craziness for sure! Well, I am so excited for you and can’t wait to see what you get.
That’s the good thing about settings, you’re not stuck with one choice.

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
@Austina Thank you..I’m hoping it will be the color of @mrs-b ‘s h soft white ACA.
I wonder if anyone here has a D color with strong fluorescence..:think:

I do! Mine is an antique stone but it’s D/strong fluoro. There are ZERO negative effects - it doesn’t look cloudy, milky, blue, etc. Beautiful step cut! My link button isn’t working but I’ve posted about it here!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/d-is-for-dream-my-4-34ct-antique-“asscherald”-holy-grail-is-here.262632/

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do! Mine is an antique stone but it’s D/strong fluoro. There are ZERO negative effects - it doesn’t look cloudy, milky, blue, etc. Beautiful step cut! My link button isn’t working but I’ve posted about it here!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/d-is-for-dream-my-4-34ct-antique-“asscherald”-holy-grail-is-here.262632/

Your diamond and setting are just beautiful! Thank you for posting this..I’m still not set on the one I posted. I’m going to be doing some heavy looking today. I will ask if the other diamond I linked has any effects. Thanks again!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have another diamond I would like someone to comment on. It’s from James Allen.
1641653609441.jpeg
Here’s the GIA report..It’s a little deep. I will put it on hold if someone tells me it’s worth considering. The consultant said it has nice flashes to the center. It’s hard to tell from their videos. I asked about an asset but he said they don’t have additional images of it. I don’t know whether they can get them.
This one would be a shade lighter and better clarity but a bit smaller. I don’t know how much of a difference it would be.
This would be the size difference. It looks negligible to me. What do you think?

Thanks!

Attachments

• ABF6EB43-F10A-41D8-B4D5-C978FF9CDE2A.png
    ABF6EB43-F10A-41D8-B4D5-C978FF9CDE2A.png
    221.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok.. Call me crazy! I bought a three stone emerald cut from Costco! I went a little over with tax but I got a three stone.The numbers are great..It‘s a G color VVS 1 GIA..I pick it up at the warehouse in two days!!!
BDFAE721-71B5-4A0A-A0BF-9745C34DFBDB.jpeg

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Ok.. Call me crazy! I bought a three stone emerald cut from Costco! I went a little over with tax but I got a three stone.The numbers are great..It‘s a G color VVS 1 GIA..I pick it up at the warehouse in two days!!!

Yay!!! It looks gorgeous!!!

EClove

Shiny_Rock
I have another diamond I would like someone to comment on. It’s from James Allen.
1641653609441.jpeg
Here’s the GIA report..It’s a little deep. I will put it on hold if someone tells me it’s worth considering. The consultant said it has nice flashes to the center. It’s hard to tell from their videos. I asked about an asset but he said they don’t have additional images of it. I don’t know whether they can get them.
This one would be a shade lighter and better clarity but a bit smaller. I don’t know how much of a difference it would be.
This would be the size difference. It looks negligible to me. What do you think?

Thanks!

I don't love this stone - the middle facets look dead / see through. See how you can kind of see the background through the middle? It also looks like too many facets are "off" at the same time - if you look at it almost straight on there are a lot of black facets. From my understanding you want them to alternate more. I ended up returning my first EC because it felt too dead in the center to me and the light return suffered.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't love this stone - the middle facets look dead / see through. See how you can kind of see the background through the middle? It also looks like too many facets are "off" at the same time - if you look at it almost straight on there are a lot of black facets. From my understanding you want them to alternate more. I ended up returning my first EC because it felt too dead in the center to me and the light return suffered.

Thank you..Look above..I bought a ring from Costco! :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

Wowzer! I didn’t realize Costco sold GIA graded stones!! Can’t wait to see hand pics! Congrats, @MamaBee!!
I should have mentioned before that I am loving emerald cut too that I impulsively bought this cute, teensy weeny GIA E SI1 at an antique shop on January 2nd hahaa.

Attachments

• 50548A2E-3719-4361-B678-765899AC6039.jpeg
    50548A2E-3719-4361-B678-765899AC6039.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wowzer! I didn’t realize Costco sold GIA graded stones!! Can’t wait to see hand pics! Congrats, @MamaBee!!
I should have mentioned before that I am loving emerald cut too that I impulsively bought this cute, teensy weeny GIA E SI1 at an antique shop on January 2nd hahaa.

Wow! That’s a gorgeous ice white emerald cut! I love it!
Yes..Costco has some GIA certified diamonds..I ran through all the numbers of each one..Each one has a GIA certificate…They’re all great..I’m so excited!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That’s a gorgeous ice white emerald cut! I love it!
Yes..Costco has some GIA certified diamonds..I ran through all the numbers of each one..Each one has a GIA certificate…They’re all great..I’m so excited!

It’s a teensy weeny one. My first dabble with emerald cut I wasn’t planning on getting last weekend. Too tempting to pass up haha. Can’t wait to see your hand pics!! So excited for you, @MamaBee!! I will live vicariously through you ;-).

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Can't wait to see it on you!

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock

Wow! Can’t wait to see this!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so excited for you!!

If I can make a suggestion - you might consider reaching out to Yekutiel at IDJ? He can source many of the stones that appear on Blue Nile and take an ASET image, in addition to recommending any that he may have in stock. He has a great eye for step cuts, and that will give you more reassurance that you are getting a top performing stone.

Before I got my current EC (3ct, F color), I bought a 4ct H color stone. While I was initially really happy with the stone, I realized that it looked tinted to me in my office lighting (versus how it appeared to me in my house). And the ASET on the 4ct H color stone was decent but not great - there was not enough red in the middle of the ASET. At the time I didn't have anything else to compare it with, but now that I have my current stone - which I got from IDJ and has a lot of red in the middle of the ASET - I can totally see the difference in brightness.

All that to say - if you think you might need some extra reassurance/peace of mind on this purchase, I definitely think Yekutiel can help you out!

Yes definitely. Having Yekutiel be your eyes is a great idea. And he does have access to a nice selection of stones. I would definitely contact him if the H does not grab you. I think with fancies and with OECs, you’ll know, the second you lay eyes on it.

But of course you will need to test the color in every lighting environment to make sure it’s white enough for you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size is the center stone in the Costco ring? Did you get to try it on?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hit a snafu..I’ll get back on Monday after trying to sort it out. I can’t say too much now. I’ll let you know what’s going on after Monday. Big ugh..

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee Too late to chime in since you bought a gorgeous ring. If you end up not getting the Costco ring I’ll give You my 2 cents worth.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee Too late to chime in since you bought a gorgeous ring. If you end up not getting the Costco ring I’ll give You my 2 cents worth.

@marcy Please give me your two cents now. I need it..:wall:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If all options are still open, I personally would definitely be comparing the D with fluorescence with the other stone you were interested in. Strong fluorescence is rarely a problem when the clarity is high. I consider it a bonus!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Just jumping on @MamaBee to say I'm excited to see what you get! I still love my ec ering after all these years :).

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late to the emerald cut search for you (sorry) but excited to see what you’ve purchased. Can’t wait!!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t want to sound cryptic but I can’t say what’s going on until tomorrow. It’s been stressful..That’s all I can say until I can try to work this out. :|

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results