shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me evaluate this emerald cut diamond

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The money has been received! They said it has started processing. I should have it by the end of the week! :appl::dance:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The money has been received! They said it has started processing. I should have it by the end of the week! :appl::dance:

Fantastic! Can't wait to see it on you!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was all excited..Then I started reading threads about emerald cut diamonds and P3, bow tie, and window issues…I don’t know if I would even recognize if it was bad. I thought since the numbers are all good then I wouldn’t have any issues. I may not post a pic when I get the ring! Maybe I want to be blissfully ignorant! :lol:

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was all excited..Then I started reading threads about emerald cut diamonds and P3, bow tie, and window issues…I don’t know if I would even recognize if it was bad. I thought since the numbers are all good then I wouldn’t have any issues. I may not post a pic when I get the ring! Maybe I want to be blissfully ignorant! :lol:

Just do a SMTB a thread and don’t ask for opinions - haha! As long as you are happy with it that is all that matters

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just do a SMTB a thread and don’t ask for opinions - haha! As long as you are happy with it that is all that matters

@MissGotRocks If it’s a dog I want to know…:lol: It’s just been such a pain to pay for it...and get it done. It would be awful if it had a huge bow tie..Anything else I’m not sure I would know. I would want someone to comment though. I’m bracing myself! Haha

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@MissGotRocks If it’s a dog I want to know…:lol: It’s just been such a pain to pay for it...and get it done. It would be awful if it had a huge bow tie..Anything else I’m not sure I would know. I would want someone to comment though. I’m bracing myself! Haha

Wow! I never knew that emerald cuts could have bowties. I got my ering before PS even existed-I can only hope that it's well cut:loopy:

Can't wait to see the ring @MamaBee ! I hope we get a video, too!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
This will be my last big purchase as I’m getting old.. :lol: I‘ve always wanted an emerald cut as an alternate engagement ring. My ACA is an F color so I know this will be warmer than that..I also know emerald cuts show their color more than mrb diamonds. I think I would be okay with an H. The color on the BN website looks good….. I have it on hold until Monday. The numbers look okay to me but really I don’t have clue to how to evaluate it. I don’t even know how to tell if the steps are blinking the right way. Please give me your honest opinions. Thank you so much in advance!

Stunning. My Emerald is an H SI1 and it is bright white 772165

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! I never knew that emerald cuts could have bowties. I got my ering before PS even existed-I can only hope that it's well cut:loopy:

I read conflicting info that emerald cuts don’t have bow ties. I’ve also read that then can have them.. I watched a few videos by Jon from Distinctive Gems when he was with Good Old Gold. Some of them looked like they had bow ties but he said two of them looked good. I’m not looking for perfection but I definitely don’t want a bow tie. I’m just going to come out and ask if it has one after I post photos. I hope @Karl_K will break it to me gently.. :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Me do a video? I better start practicing!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I read conflicting info that emerald cuts don’t have bow ties. I’ve also read that then can have them.. I watched a few videos by Jon from Distinctive Gems when he was with Good Old Gold. Some of them looked like they had bow ties but he said two of them looked good. I’m not looking for perfection but I definitely don’t want a bow tie. I’m just going to come out and ask if it has one after I post photos. I hope @Karl_K will break it to me gently.. :lol:

Stop reading get your ring and love it

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well the beauty is you can return it if it is a dog but I realize that undoing all of that might be easier said than done. I just have a feeling that you are going to like it just fine! I know you are excited and we are excited for you!
Let’s think positive until we see what you think!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

@lulu_ma The numbers are all in the range that are suggested for table and depth..It should be well cut.
I would love to see your ring!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Must stop myself from posting 28 page lecture on obstruction and steps cuts.
You see here how some virtual facets are obstructing to form kewl patterns, that is good as long as it flashes quickly with movement and does not stay too dark at longer distances and is not to much of the stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can be good for an EC to be within certain numbers, but those numbers do not necessarily mean it’s a great stone. It’s very different than using numbers to narrow down ideal cut rounds.

You’ll need to take close up pictures and video of the top of the stone. We will be able to tell if we can see it. Hopefully you can, too. I wouldn’t even bring it home if I saw it wasn’t a great cut, though.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It can be good for an EC to be within certain numbers, but those numbers do not necessarily mean it’s a great stone. It’s very different than using numbers to narrow down ideal cut rounds.

You’ll need to take close up pictures and video of the top of the stone. We will be able to tell if we can see it. Hopefully you can, too. I wouldn’t even bring it home if I saw it wasn’t a great cut, though.

@diamondseeker2006 I think I would have to take it home and contact them by phone. After paying that amount I’m not going to hand it back to them without instructions. I will have to ask what the procedure would be because it’s different than paying with a card.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Must stop myself from posting 28 page lecture on obstruction and steps cuts.
You see here how some virtual facets are obstructing to form kewl patterns, that is good as long as it flashes quickly with movement and does not stay too dark at longer distances and is not to much of the stone.

Thank you @Karl_K!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee I see Karl K responded to some of your concerns about a bowtie - and IMO I wouldn't call obstructions a bow tie. Sadly EC are best "judged" by seeing them in person - some suggested specs can point you to a good preforming EC but you'll either love any given EC or not. As Karl mentioned those long flashes of a EC put off some amazingly cool light and prisms. When I was picking out my EC studs I spent days going through old PS threads on specs for EC and I have a few pages of notes for them. My EC that is in my RHR was putting on a show from across the room and it was in a little gem case inside a display case. It was flashing me every time I walked in the room which is why I finally said can I see that diamond please?

I bet Costco does not usually get paid by wire transfers - I've only done them with Whiteflash and either the person at the credit union had done them many times or made me nervous because they didn't seem to know what the heck to do. I totally agree it is a good idea to pick it up at the store so you can see it in person and make sure you are getting what you paid for - I hope you LOVE it! EC are so elegant and 3 stone EC make a gorgeous setting.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee I see Karl K responded to some of your concerns about a bowtie - and IMO I wouldn't call obstructions a bow tie. Sadly EC are best "judged" by seeing them in person - some suggested specs can point you to a good preforming EC but you'll either love any given EC or not. As Karl mentioned those long flashes of a EC put off some amazingly cool light and prisms. When I was picking out my EC studs I spent days going through old PS threads on specs for EC and I have a few pages of notes for them. My EC that is in my RHR was putting on a show from across the room and it was in a little gem case inside a display case. It was flashing me every time I walked in the room which is why I finally said can I see that diamond please?

I bet Costco does not usually get paid by wire transfers - I've only done them with Whiteflash and either the person at the credit union had done them many times or made me nervous because they didn't seem to know what the heck to do. I totally agree it is a good idea to pick it up at the store so you can see it in person and make sure you are getting what you paid for - I hope you LOVE it! EC are so elegant and 3 stone EC make a gorgeous setting.

Thank you @marcy! It would be a good idea to have my husband put it on his pinky and wear it away from me. I would like to see what other people see..not only me. I’ve been talking to myself that it won’t be the end of the world if it had a bow tie..I will just have to return it. I will accept any imperfections as long as they’re minor. I know I can’t accept a dark area across the belly. I have trouble posting videos..I’m awful. I can take it but then I’m going to ask my sweet friend @missy to post them for me here...if I run into trouble..

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I'm glad the financing worked out but now you are stressing about the EC. I really hope that it is as beautiful a stone as you could want! I can't wait to see it IRL. I bet it will be stunning.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I'm glad the financing worked out but now you are stressing about the EC. I really hope that it is as beautiful a stone as you could want! I can't wait to see it IRL. I bet it will be stunning.

Yes @Catmom..Thank you..I’m stressing about it because there were no expert eyes on it. I’m basically buying blind. I’ve bought lots of jewelry but I never stressed about it. My ACA was stress free even though that was more expensive. This is more am I buying a dog? It’s a VVS1 G color..The numbers are good..but found out the numbers really don’t matter with an emerald cut. If I love it and no one else does I would even be okay with keeping it. I’m just nervous to get it. It’s so unlike me. How many people spend that kind of money on an unseen diamond, no video, not even a good photo? I just keep telling myself over and over I can return it.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee don't stress! It's Costco! You can definitely return it if you don't love it!

Ok and how this person charge this ring to their credit card?:shock:

Last edited:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stop torturing yourself (I know, easier said than done!)

You have the safety net of returning it for a refund, right?
I’m hopeful you will love it because I think there’s a high probability you will! Are there better emerald cuts than this ring? Of course, but who cares? This perfectly fits your budget and you get a 3-stone/high color/clarity in a platinum setting to boot! If it’s horrible return it. Relax!:appl:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@lulu_ma They had to wire that..I don’t know of any credit card that would go that high! I do know that they sell really expensive jewelry. If you go to their website you can see rings that are pretty pricey.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results