shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me evaluate this emerald cut diamond

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This will be my last big purchase as I’m getting old.. :lol: I‘ve always wanted an emerald cut as an alternate engagement ring. My ACA is an F color so I know this will be warmer than that..I also know emerald cuts show their color more than mrb diamonds. I think I would be okay with an H. The color on the BN website looks good….. I have it on hold until Monday. The numbers look okay to me but really I don’t have clue to how to evaluate it. I don’t even know how to tell if the steps are blinking the right way. Please give me your honest opinions. Thank you so much in advance!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think an H will look pretty white, I probably wouldn’t go any lower though. I don’t know anything about choosing emerald cuts. Maybe @Karl_K can weigh in? Does Blue Nile provide ASET images?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know anything about emerald cuts (haha autocorrected to cats) but I know in person what I like.
I think as long as there is a return policy this is worth a look unless the emerald experts (forever more abbreviated as EE by me) say otherwise.

Is H white enough for you? It's white enough for me but I know you are very very color aware. I know someone who has a lower colored emerald diamond that I have seen IRL and yeah it shows tint but this one looks very pretty to my (uneducated regarding emerald cuts) eye. I would not go lower than H for a modern emerald cut.

Is the size good for you? Will you be satisfied with it?
Is the color mind clean enough?
Do you like the proportions?
If you answer yes to the above it's worth a look. IMO.

ETA I am so excited for you. I have always dreamed of an emerald cut diamond. Or as my computer likes to autocorrect an emerald cat diamond. :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think an H will look pretty white, I probably wouldn’t go any lower though. I don’t know anything about choosing emerald cuts. Maybe @Karl_K can weigh in? Does Blue Nile provide ASET images?

Thanks @Bonfire..They don’t provide aset images. I checked. I wouldn’t go lower than an H either. I’m hoping it’s a high H.

Last edited:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh how exciting! It was a long, excruciating journey for me. By the way, mine is an I and it still seems pretty white to me but then I am old, with old eyes lol. I found that the color didn't matter as much as the clarity because an EC is a disco ball of mirrors and even the tiniest of inclusions can reflect all over the place if it's in the wrong area. I also recommend looking at several ECs in person. I went into my journey thinking that I wanted a "fatty" and nothing else would do. I must have seen at least 30 different stones that were all fatties and nothing called out to me. I know both I and my jeweler were ready to give up. Then she showed me the one that I have now. It's definitely not a fatty but I was smitten and the rest is history. The one you have on hold looks like one you definitely should see in person. I don't see any inclusion reflections in the video. I am so happy for you on this journey!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know anything about emerald cuts (haha autocorrected to cats) but I know in person what I like.
I think as long as there is a return policy this is worth a look unless the emerald experts (forever more abbreviated as EE by me) say otherwise.

Is H white enough for you? It's white enough for me but I know you are very very color aware. I know someone who has a lower colored emerald diamond that I have seen IRL and yeah it shows tint but this one looks very pretty to my (uneducated regarding emerald cuts) eye. I would not go lower than H for a modern emerald cut.

Is the size good for you? Will you be satisfied with it?
Is the color mind clean enough?
Do you like the proportions?
If you answer yes to the above it's worth a look. IMO.

ETA I am so excited for you. I have always dreamed of an emerald cut diamond. Or as my computer likes to autocorrect an emerald cat diamond. :lol:

Thanks @missy! I think I would be good with the size. I’ll know when I see it but I didn’t want to go crazy on a second ring. This is already crazy for me..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh how exciting! It was a long, excruciating journey for me. By the way, mine is an I and it still seems pretty white to me but then I am old, with old eyes lol. I found that the color didn't matter as much as the clarity because an EC is a disco ball of mirrors and even the tiniest of inclusions can reflect all over the place if it's in the wrong area. I also recommend looking at several ECs in person. I went into my journey thinking that I wanted a "fatty" and nothing else would do. I must have seen at least 30 different stones that were all fatties and nothing called out to me. I know both I and my jeweler were ready to give up. Then she showed me the one that I have now. It's definitely not a fatty but I was smitten and the rest is history. The one you have on hold looks like one you definitely should see in person. I don't see any inclusion reflections in the video. I am so happy for you on this journey!

Thank you @Catmom! My eyes are old too so I should be good! :lol:Yes..No black inclusions..It’s pretty clean other than the feather..I’m not afraid of them anymore..especially in a vs1.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert but it looks like a bright and lively diamond to me @MamaBee. I think it's worth a look. It's on it's way to you, right? Looking forward to hearing what you think.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not an expert but it looks like a bright and lively diamond to me @MamaBee. I think it's worth a look. It's on it's way to you, right? Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Thanks @junebug17..No..It’s just on hold until Monday.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so excited for you!!

If I can make a suggestion - you might consider reaching out to Yekutiel at IDJ? He can source many of the stones that appear on Blue Nile and take an ASET image, in addition to recommending any that he may have in stock. He has a great eye for step cuts, and that will give you more reassurance that you are getting a top performing stone.

Before I got my current EC (3ct, F color), I bought a 4ct H color stone. While I was initially really happy with the stone, I realized that it looked tinted to me in my office lighting (versus how it appeared to me in my house). And the ASET on the 4ct H color stone was decent but not great - there was not enough red in the middle of the ASET. At the time I didn't have anything else to compare it with, but now that I have my current stone - which I got from IDJ and has a lot of red in the middle of the ASET - I can totally see the difference in brightness.

All that to say - if you think you might need some extra reassurance/peace of mind on this purchase, I definitely think Yekutiel can help you out!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so excited for you!!

If I can make a suggestion - you might consider reaching out to Yekutiel at IDJ? He can source many of the stones that appear on Blue Nile and take an ASET image, in addition to recommending any that he may have in stock. He has a great eye for step cuts, and that will give you more reassurance that you are getting a top performing stone.

Before I got my current EC (3ct, F color), I bought a 4ct H color stone. While I was initially really happy with the stone, I realized that it looked tinted to me in my office lighting (versus how it appeared to me in my house). And the ASET on the 4ct H color stone was decent but not great - there was not enough red in the middle of the ASET. At the time I didn't have anything else to compare it with, but now that I have my current stone - which I got from IDJ and has a lot of red in the middle of the ASET - I can totally see the difference in brightness.

All that to say - if you think you might need some extra reassurance/peace of mind on this purchase, I definitely think Yekutiel can help you out!

Thank you @SandyK! I will keep that in mind!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Given the return policy it is worth a look to see if it is the one for you.
Having a vendor pull in a bunch and look them over and get photos is a good idea.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Given the return policy it is worth a look to see if it is the one for you.
Having a vendor pull in a bunch and look them over and get photos is a good idea.

Thank you @Karl_K…I’m not sure Blue Nile does that. In fact I’m pretty sure they don’t. Too bad Whiteflash doesn’t include emerald cuts in their inventory…

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks @Bonfire..They don’t provide aset images. I checked. I wouldn’t go lower than an H either. I’m hoping it’s a high H.

Can you ask BN to provide you with a video? It’s their vendor-dependent but, to me, that’s the only way to judge it’s potential.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you ask BN to provide you with a video? It’s their vendor-dependent but, to me, that’s the only way to judge it’s potential.

Thank you @clcat120..I know they will say there is a video up. I may just have to evaluate it in person.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about emerald cuts, and you know I’m not colour sensitive at all either, but they both looks absolutely lovely. Hard choice, but exciting.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know nothing about emerald cuts, and you know I’m not colour sensitive at all either, but they both looks absolutely lovely. Hard choice, but exciting.

@Austina Thank you..I’m hoping it will be the color of @mrs-b ‘s h soft white ACA.
I wonder if anyone here has a D color with strong fluorescence..:think:

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here is a thread on D with strong fluorescence though it isn't about emerald cuts specifically.

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Since @Karl_K has chimed in on cut, I think you’re good I wish we could see straight on so we could see the how the facets in the center light up, but I love the corners!

as far as color, I have a lab emerald but I never see color in my H. I had a squattier I before I exchanged it for this one and I could definitely see color in that one. I hope it’s a high H for you too. Can’t wait to see how you set it it’s gorgeous! 26FFD0BE-1C47-4CEE-BBF5-37F8F2534C6F.jpeg

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@Austina Thank you..I’m hoping it will be the color of @mrs-b ‘s h soft white ACA.

Personally, I think G color is enough. H color is not bad in emerald / sq emerald cut. Here is a H, J, G (clock wise stating from the sq emerald with small tapered bag. Side stones). On the video, you can barely tell the difference. In person, the G oval is def whiter per my eyes. I think under nature light, you can see most color differences.

Here is another video of E color three EC cut ring vs a beautiful bulgari H color with tapered bag. Honestly, in that office lighting, I could not tell the color at all… I though they were the same color when I viewed them in person . In warm and intense lighting, all stones turns darker and warmer in color, but that’s some best lighting to see fire especially in step cuts as those large facets really come into play. J at the top, and H at the bottom.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since @Karl_K has chimed in on cut, I think you’re good I wish we could see straight on so we could see the how the facets in the center light up, but I love the corners!

as far as color, I have a lab emerald but I never see color in my H. I had a squattier I before I exchanged it for this one and I could definitely see color in that one. I hope it’s a high H for you too. Can’t wait to see how you set it it’s gorgeous! 26FFD0BE-1C47-4CEE-BBF5-37F8F2534C6F.jpeg
Personally, I think G color is enough. H color is not bad in emerald / sq emerald cut. Here is a H, J, G (clock wise stating from the sq emerald with small tapered bag. Side stones). On the video, you can barely tell the difference. In person, the G oval is def whiter per my eyes. I think under nature light, you can see most color differences.

Here is another video of E color three EC cut ring vs a beautiful bulgari H color with tapered bag. Honestly, in that office lighting, I could not tell the color at all… I though they were the same color when I viewed them in person . In warm and intense lighting, all stones turns darker and warmer in color, but that’s some best lighting to see fire especially in step cuts as those large facets really come into play. J at the top, and H at the bottom.

Thank you! The videos were very helpful! They are beautiful diamonds!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank you! The videos were very helpful! The diamonds are just gorgeous!

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you! The videos were very helpful! They are beautiful diamonds!

No problem. Also, when you set the stone in a white gold/platinum shank, the silver color will bounce off the diamond to make it looks a bit whiter too. So people always say the loose stones usually don’t looks to it’s full potential before setting. Here is the video for another H EC. I personally like large cut corner, so these can sometimes be certified as Cut Corner Rectangular by GIA.

B279BAA6-4715-4DD9-BC13-D60A788827B3.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a thread on D with strong fluorescence though it isn't about emerald cuts specifically.

Thanks @missy! Off to read it!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
No problem. Also, when you set the stone in a white gold/platinum shank, the silver color will bounce off the diamond to make it looks a bit whiter too. So people always say the loose stones usually don’t looks to it’s full potential before setting. Here is the video for another H EC. I personally like large cut corner, so these can sometimes be certified as Cut Corner Rectangular by GIA.

B279BAA6-4715-4DD9-BC13-D60A788827B3.jpeg

Great videos! Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results