shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE Help - GIA report Has Argyle inscription # but no inscription on diamond!

I will continue to post Autumn. I have met some amazing people on here. Now that i have the inscription verified, and i am getting a new appraisal done i have a lot more options on what i am going to do with the stone. I have received a few other emails from interested buyers so i am going to take my time before i sell it. I also have to pick out another diamond to fill my setting :). I will keep everyone informed of what happens going forward :). Am i best to make a new post when things happen or to put the updates on this thread?

Whichever you feel most comfortable with, pink! Some folks like to keep everything together in one post, and others prefer to start a new thread with updates. For example, a member may have one thread for when they purchase a loose stone, and then a new thread for when they set it. Totally up to you! Again, so thrilled for you, and I look forward to your future posts!!

Just a thought, but since your diamond is so valuable, engage with an escrow service, preferably one based in your home country (which I guess is the US). It’ll cost you a little bit, but at least you won’t get scammed out of your diamond! So glad to hear that the inscription WAS there!

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Best wishesI #pinkdiamondlover I’m sure the Argyle inscription will be found on your diamond. A vivid pink Argyle diamond is extremely beautiful & valuable so kudos to you!
I decided the only diamonds I was interested in were Argyles after a chance meeting with a Rio Tinto associate in 2010.
I rang diamond merchants around Australia till I finally spoke to a Gemologist who had access to Argyle diamonds straight from the mine.
On the day we spoke he was flying from the WA mine back home with diamonds & he only lived 20 minutes from us which was perfect!
I had a choice of pinks, champagnes & cognac diamonds all within different price ranges. They were all so beautiful, the pinks were divine with fairly decent prices for the time.
We had just bought a house so I was mindful of budget but my husband was happy to indulge, I didn’t choose a pink as I fell in love with a C4 champagne.

thank you Brigid! The Argyle Purple Pinks are such a pretty color. I fell in love with mine! Let me know if you want to add a Purple Pink to your collection :). The relief i am still feeling from the inscription being verified is so immense lol. I would love to see a picture of the diamond you did choose out of all those Argyles :)

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Whichever you feel most comfortable with, pink! Some folks like to keep everything together in one post, and others prefer to start a new thread with updates. For example, a member may have one thread for when they purchase a loose stone, and then a new thread for when they set it. Totally up to you! Again, so thrilled for you, and I look forward to your future posts!!

Well, since i have the choice, i think i would like to keep the updates on same thread. that way everyone is familiar with my story :).

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Just a thought, but since your diamond is so valuable, engage with an escrow service, preferably one based in your home country (which I guess is the US). It’ll cost you a little bit, but at least you won’t get scammed out of your diamond! So glad to hear that the inscription WAS there!

thank you AllAboard!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Well, since i have the choice, i think i would like to keep the updates on same thread. that way everyone is familiar with my story :).

Congrats! I followed the story and I am happy for you. I recommend keeping the same thread so that newcomers can see the whole story. I really want to know when you sell this! I know nothing about pink diamonds.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! I followed the story and I am happy for you. I recommend keeping the same thread so that newcomers can see the whole story. I really want to know when you sell this! I know nothing about pink diamonds.

That is so very nice to hear CaseyLou thank you!! I love that there is interest in this story and agree that it is best to keep same thread but i didn't know if there was a time limit that they put on Threads or if there was some rule about continuing :). I for sure will let you know when i sell and i will even tell you for how much :) I will also tell you what my new appraisal says it is worth and what replacement diamond i buy to put in my now empty setting lol

baublelove

Rough_Rock
Thank goodness this had the very happy ending we were all hoping for! I’ve been sweating this out with you for the last few days. Very, very happy for you.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Sh*t, I was hoping for good news by now.
Those are honkin' big prongs.
I have a (cheap) UV GIA oval that my jeweler could barely read with her loupe, it's the smallest inscription I've ever seen. Or not seen. Betting yours is even tinier.
Either way, you have a really rare and beautiful diamond. Wow.

Good news is what i FINALLY got after i posted some negative reviews on FB and their company page!! The phone rang right away and amazing enough......they verified it.....i wonder how long they held onto that info before they got my review???? Anyway.....once i got to talk to the right person we were able to resolve everything and they are doing me up a new appraisal!

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Thank goodness this had the very happy ending we were all hoping for! I’ve been sweating this out with you for the last few days. Very, very happy for you.

That is what i love about people in this forum!!! People like you, who are like me, and truly care about others! That is so very rare these days. I am so happy to have "met" you all :). Thanks so much baublelove!!

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
So happy to hear this outcome! I’ve been checking in every few hours for the update. Now you can relax and focus on the sale part.

Thank you Ionysis! I am going to have to rethink my offer for what i was going to sell it for. I had no idea how crazy the prices have gone in the past year! I had my diamond looked at by a few different buyers now and am waiting on them to give me their offers. The place that verified the inscription might also be interested in selling it for me but they would take a much bigger commission so it will all be dependent of what they offer. I am also thinking that the market is going crazy so i might just hang onto it for a few more years lol or i might even try and sell it myself privately so i don't pay anyone commission :).

I will be using the money i get from the diamond, to put a down payment on a home much closer to my girls and grandchildren which is why i was selling in the first place.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow just found this....now i really can't wait to see what the appraisal is!
Value-of-a-diamond-natural-intense-pink.jpg

Looks like a 4.8X increase. Just for perspective, the S&P500 over that decade showed ~ 4X increase. So you beat the stock market -- but not by a mile! And the commission is a lot smaller :P2.

But great news all around!

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Looks like a 4.8X increase. Just for perspective, the S&P500 over that decade showed ~ 4X increase. So you beat the stock market -- but not by a mile! And the commission is a lot smaller :P2.

But great news all around!

The amazing thing is what it has done in the past year!! If it continues to increase like that as the years go on, without anything to replace what has been lost with the Argyle mine can you imagine what my diamond could be worth in a couple of years or even in another 10 years? It is super exciting for me to think about that!! There are way more argyle diamonds that are smaller than mine compared to how many are bigger which makes it even more valuable. I just wish it was .5 instead of .46 lol. Either way, i am still happy and love this diamond :)

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Another cool thing that i just remembered, after going thru some of my emails from the wonderful gentleman who sold me my diamond, was that he forgot that i was from Canada not the US. Therefore, when he quoted me the price he was quoting for US$ but i didn't know that so i paid him in Canadian. When he realized his mistake, we had already agreed on the price and he felt it was his error so he let me have it for what i paid in Canadian $ instead of US$ which puts me even farther ahead :). I think that if he would have tried to make me pay US$ I would not have bought it so i am lucky that didn't happen :).

Another cool thing i just remembered also is that when i picked up my ring she didn't just tell me the inscription was there, she physically showed me!! That was such a cool experience to see it. The prong had been protecting it all these years so the inscription was easy to see as it was still black.

Last edited:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When i told her that the buyer i had found was from Australia, her face dropped. She said that recently, she knows of 2 people who have sent pink diamonds to Australia who never got their money.

Now, it is 10 years later. I decided i wanted to sell the diamond and found a buyer in Australia. They would buy the ring upon their jeweler verifying the Argyle number inscribed on the diamond as I wasn't given an Argyle Certificate. They agreed that if i sent them the ring, they would unmount the diamond, verify the inscription and then send the ring back to me and put the money into my bank account.

I’m glad the inscription had been found!

I just wanted to stress given your statements here that it’s normal to receive the money before you send the stone, so you shouldn’t be in the position of not being paid. I definitely wouldn’t send a stone overseas for a buyer to verify and only pay you on receipt!

You could use a trusted appraiser as an intermediary if the stone is valuable, that way neither party is at risk as you have a trusted intermediary to authenticate and handle both stone and payment, sending on both simultaneously.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
i might even try and sell it myself privately so i don't pay anyone commission

Oh, honey, no.

Years ago you took a gamble and you got incredibly lucky, but going into this all alone now would be like diving in the deep ocean without knowing how to swim and hoping you'll just get the hang of it as you go. It's not worth the risk to get scammed out of potentially a 6-figure sum. With how anxious you were about the possible lack of inscription, just think what it would do to you mentally to lose it all.

If you don't want someone else to handle the sale and pay them comission, at the very least have someone experienced in such sales (high profile gems and international sales) as a consultant to guide you. Meet with a lawyer, maybe. The suggestion you received about using an escrow account is very good, definitely consider it. Don't go into this unprepared. Do your homework beforehand because any expenses you accrue now in preparation are pennies compared to what you might lose if you fall victim to a well carried out scam.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
I’m glad the inscription had been found!

I just wanted to stress given your statements here that it’s normal to receive the money before you send the stone, so you shouldn’t be in the position of not being paid. I definitely wouldn’t send a stone overseas for a buyer to verify and only pay you on receipt!

You could use a trusted appraiser as an intermediary if the stone is valuable, that way neither party is at risk as you have a trusted intermediary to authenticate and handle both stone and payment, sending on both simultaneously.

I completely agree with you and i will go with the company that was recommended on this site because they will hold the money, while the buyer examines the diamond. This way if the buyer decides not to buy i get my diamond back and if they want it i am assured payment. It takes all the stress out of it which i am so grateful for. Thank you so much for the awesome advise. It is much appreciated! They had agreed to pay as soon as they verified that the inscription is on the diamond which it now is and if they still want to verify with their jeweler it is no problem.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Oh, honey, no.

Years ago you took a gamble and you got incredibly lucky, but going into this all alone now would be like diving in the deep ocean without knowing how to swim and hoping you'll just get the hang of it as you go. It's not worth the risk to get scammed out of potentially a 6-figure sum. With how anxious you were about the possible lack of inscription, just think what it would do to you mentally to lose it all.

If you don't want someone else to handle the sale and pay them comission, at the very least have someone experienced in such sales (high profile gems and international sales) as a consultant to guide you. Meet with a lawyer, maybe. The suggestion you received about using an escrow account is very good, definitely consider it. Don't go into this unprepared. Do your homework beforehand because any expenses you accrue now in preparation are pennies compared to what you might lose if you fall victim to a well carried out scam.

I agree with you. I would only sell using a third party to hold the money in trust while they examine the diamond. That way i am 100% protected and so is the Buyer. Win Win for everyone and worth every penny. I still would have much more profit if i sold privately than if i have to pay 3rd party and someone's commission. I am definitely not in a hurry to sell now. If i sold privately, we would both do much better than if we individually purchased retail anywhere. I have learned alot in the past few days and i am so grateful for all the new friends i have "met" on this wonderful site!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Kenny, your knowledge and pictures helped me believe that the inscription had to be there and made the wait to find out bareable! Thanks again!!
You're welcome.

I'm so glad it worked out for you.
I'm thrilled to be able help with some rarefied and esoteric expertise :praise: ... which is nearly always useless.

I'm sure this will never happen again.

Last edited:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I am so happy this turned out well for you. I have to admit I was worried about the strange actions from the jewelers. Good Luck with your sale whenever you do decide to sell it. You might approach David and Michael Robinson who are jewelers in Australia. They use a lot of larger Argyle pinks in their one of a kind spectacular jewelry. Michael made my orchid ring that is in my avatar before they became "big time"! Check out artofdm.com for an idea of what they create

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The amazing thing is what it has done in the past year!! If it continues to increase like that as the years go on, without anything to replace what has been lost with the Argyle mine can you imagine what my diamond could be worth in a couple of years or even in another 10 years?

Killjoy post: You do know what they say about past performance vs. future performance of any asset class, right? :cool2:

You have no diversification. Not only do you have only one asset class, you have only one thing in that asset class. And until the happy ending, you were a little like those folks who threw away their private key for their crypto stash. ("I can't get my money!")

Will you need to pay capital gains tax on this? Most of us do not sell for a profit so we do not need to worry. But a (future) six-figure transaction may not fly under the radar.

If you are in it to make money, I vote to make your money very soon!

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
The amazing thing is what it has done in the past year!! If it continues to increase like that as the years go on, without anything to replace what has been lost with the Argyle mine can you imagine what my diamond could be worth in a couple of years or even in another 10 years? It is super exciting for me to think about that!!
With the mine closed, there may be less marketing for the Argyle brand/origin going forward. Whether the origin premium will 'stick' as strongly as, for example, Kashmir origin did in sapphire (and in a more organic way than Argyle I presume), no one knows.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
I am so happy this turned out well for you. I have to admit I was worried about the strange actions from the jewelers. Good Luck with your sale whenever you do decide to sell it. You might approach David and Michael Robinson who are jewelers in Australia. They use a lot of larger Argyle pinks in their one of a kind spectacular jewelry. Michael made my orchid ring that is in my avatar before they became "big time"! Check out artofdm.com for an idea of what they create

Your gems are beautiful!

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Killjoy post: You do know what they say about past performance vs. future performance of any asset class, right? :cool2:

You have no diversification. Not only do you have only one asset class, you have only one thing in that asset class. And until the happy ending, you were a little like those folks who threw away their private key for their crypto stash. ("I can't get my money!")

Will you need to pay capital gains tax on this? Most of us do not sell for a profit so we do not need to worry. But a (future) six-figure transaction may not fly under the radar.

If you are in it to make money, I vote to make your money very soon!

When i bought it, i did buy it as an investment because i believed the mine was going to close and when it finally did, that created my chance. But, i also bought it because it was so beautiful and how many investments can you wear and enjoy. The problem came when the value really shot up and then i was afraid to wear it in case something happened. I would much sooner sell this diamond to someone in Canada or the US. If it is sold privately both the buyer and sell make more profit because the middle man is cut out of the picture. I know nothing about Capital Gains. I just want to make enough from this that i can put a down payment on a home closer to my kids and grandchildren.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
You're welcome.

I'm so glad it worked out for you.
I'm thrilled to be able help with some rarefied and esoteric expertise :praise: ... which is nearly always useless.

I'm sure this will never happen again.

I am sure you have helped many more people that you realize!

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
With the mine closed, there may be less marketing for the Argyle brand/origin going forward. Whether the origin premium will 'stick' as strongly as, for example, Kashmir origin did in sapphire (and in a more organic way than Argyle I presume), no one knows.

The good thing for me is, no replacement mine has been found yet. Even if they found a possible spot it takes years to get a mine up and running and you won't really know what you are going to produce until you are ready to produce. I think even if they found something else tomorrow, it would take about 10 years before they would be actually producing. It is going to be interesting to see what happens to the market when the wholesalers start running out of their stock.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results