shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE Help - GIA report Has Argyle inscription # but no inscription on diamond!

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Ok- I'm still not understanding this exactly. You're saying the diamond was "physically examined and it matches the report exactly" And then you took it to the independent jeweler. Who physically examined the diamond? Did they say the inscription was there or not? Or is the first person the jeweler who did the setting? And then you took it somewhere else for an appraisal? I thought you said the jeweler who did the setting also did the appraisal. I am just a bit confused.

The video of the diamond is beautiful. I wonder why there were no close up photos or video sent of the Argyle Inscription? The setting pictures make the diamond look more square than the video, but hopefully that is just the photos. I have seen very poor photos on appraisals so that may easily be what is showing here.

I bought the diamond and they shipped it to me. After i received it, i took it to a Jeweler to have it appraised and to verify i got what i paid for. This jeweler was supposed to appraise the diamond and then set the stone into a ring for me. When i went to pick up my ring and looked at the appraisal, i noticed that they did NOT verify the inscription BEFORE they set it....so no inscription was visible after it being mounted. I was very concerned about that but the manager assured me that because their appraisal and the GIA matched, there was no need to have the diamond removed, verify the inscription and then have the stone reset. It HAD to be the right diamond that was on the GIA report. She advised against removing it to verify because when you remove or set a diamond there is always risk that the diamond could get damaged so i didn't want to take that chance if i didn't have too.

10 years later i found a buyer for the diamond upon verification of the inscription to validate the diamond as an Argyle. Rather than send the entire ring to Australia for verification of the inscription, and then get them to send the setting back to me, i decided it would be best if i took the ring back to the same place where i got the Appraisal done and the diamond set into a ring because it was their error in the first place for not verifying the inscription before they set the stone.

When i took the ring back to the same jeweler who did the appraisal back in 2012, they had 3 certified GIA people examine the ring (without dismounting it). They assured me that no inscription could be seen AND that it would be IMPOSSIBLE for there to be an inscription because at least some of the inscription should be visible and nothing was. However, i didn't need to worry because it was definitely the ring described on the GIA because their examination matched the GIA report. They told me that they had personally received stock that was supposed to be inscribed that wasn't and it was an easy fix. Send it to GIA and they will inscribe it and send it back.

Of course, i found out the next day that GIA can't inscribe it. The inscription was supposed to be done by Argyle who was now closed. Now i am freaking out. None of this made any sense. I have remained friends with the person who sold me the ring over the years. I would send him an email anytime i had questions as i had been thinking of selling it for a few years now. He always replied and took the time to help me, even right up to days before i was told there was no inscription on the ring. I was totally confused and had a very hard time believing that this person who had been so helpful to me for so many years had actually scammed me?

I was scared to have the diamond removed for risk of damage but i had no other choice. My buyer would not purchase without verification of inscription and i had to know if i had been scammed. in the end i believed my seller over these experts who told me their was no inscription and after posting my story on here, I have seen pictures of how small the inscription is and believe it could be hidden under a claw.

So here i sit....still waiting to hear back from these experts about the true value of my diamond and totally regretting that i didn't make them take it out and verify like they should have all those years ago when i first paid for the evaluation. If they are wrong, and my diamond is verified you can bet there is not a chance i will pay them to have the stone removed!

They know how anxious i am about this entire thing that is really their fault because they didn't verify inscription when they first examined it!! They have a jeweler on site and it would have taken maybe 5 minutes to remove stone and verify yet i am still waiting to hear. The manager made it clear when i returned to have the stone removed that i will be paying for the removal and i would have to wait my turn as they had 7 appraisals ahead of me. What a bitch!!

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Pink Diamond Lover,

Instead of shipping the diamond, you could hand deliver it to Australia. Make a little vacay out of it. :)

It's a beautiful diamond. It's highly probable the inscription will be found. :)

Would that be awesome! The fact that i have still not heard back from the jeweler about my diamond infuriates me! They have a jeweler onsite. It would take only a few minutes to remove stone and verify for me yet this manager is making me wait. It is almost like she hates me because i have such a nice diamond and i didn't get it from them.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Ok- I'm still not understanding this exactly. You're saying the diamond was "physically examined and it matches the report exactly" And then you took it to the independent jeweler. Who physically examined the diamond? Did they say the inscription was there or not? Or is the first person the jeweler who did the setting? And then you took it somewhere else for an appraisal? I thought you said the jeweler who did the setting also did the appraisal. I am just a bit confused.

The video of the diamond is beautiful. I wonder why there were no close up photos or video sent of the Argyle Inscription? The setting pictures make the diamond look more square than the video, but hopefully that is just the photos. I have seen very poor photos on appraisals so that may easily be what is showing here.

Yes you are right the picture is from the first appraisal. They are doing a new appraisal after they remove the ring from it's setting.

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I bought the diamond and they shipped it to me. After i received it, i took it to a Jeweler to have it appraised and to verify i got what i paid for. This jeweler was supposed to appraise the diamond and then set the stone into a ring for me. When i went to pick up my ring and looked at the appraisal, i noticed that they did NOT verify the inscription BEFORE they set it....so no inscription was visible after it being mounted. I was very concerned about that but the manager assured me that because their appraisal and the GIA matched, there was no need to have the diamond removed, verify the inscription and then have the stone reset. It HAD to be the right diamond that was on the GIA report. She advised against removing it to verify because when you remove or set a diamond there is always risk that the diamond could get damaged so i didn't want to take that chance if i didn't have too.

10 years later i found a buyer for the diamond upon verification of the inscription to validate the diamond as an Argyle. Rather than send the entire ring to Australia for verification of the inscription, and then get them to send the setting back to me, i decided it would be best if i took the ring back to the same place where i got the Appraisal done and the diamond set into a ring because it was their error in the first place for not verifying the inscription before they set the stone.

When i took the ring back to the same jeweler who did the appraisal back in 2012, they had 3 certified GIA people examine the ring (without dismounting it). They assured me that no inscription could be seen AND that it would be IMPOSSIBLE for there to be an inscription because at least some of the inscription should be visible and nothing was. However, i didn't need to worry because it was definitely the ring described on the GIA because their examination matched the GIA report. They told me that they had personally received stock that was supposed to be inscribed that wasn't and it was an easy fix. Send it to GIA and they will inscribe it and send it back.

Of course, i found out the next day that GIA can't inscribe it. The inscription was supposed to be done by Argyle who was now closed. Now i am freaking out. None of this made any sense. I have remained friends with the person who sold me the ring over the years. I would send him an email anytime i had questions as i had been thinking of selling it for a few years now. He always replied and took the time to help me, even right up to days before i was told there was no inscription on the ring. I was totally confused and had a very hard time believing that this person who had been so helpful to me for so many years had actually scammed me?

I was scared to have the diamond removed for risk of damage but i had no other choice. My buyer would not purchase without verification of inscription and i had to know if i had been scammed. in the end i believed my seller over these experts who told me their was no inscription and after posting my story on here, I have seen pictures of how small the inscription is and believe it could be hidden under a claw.

So here i sit....still waiting to hear back from these experts about the true value of my diamond and totally regretting that i didn't make them take it out and verify like they should have all those years ago when i first paid for the evaluation. If they are wrong, and my diamond is verified you can bet there is not a chance i will pay them to have the stone removed!

They know how anxious i am about this entire thing that is really their fault because they didn't verify inscription when they first examined it!! They have a jeweler on site and it would have taken maybe 5 minutes to remove stone and verify yet i am still waiting to hear. The manager made it clear when i returned to have the stone removed that i will be paying for the removal and i would have to wait my turn as they had 7 appraisals ahead of me. What a bitch!!

I keep checking back to see if you’ve heard anything yet. After reading this, now I’m anxious. You would think they would try to accommodate you because it was their error that caused the problem. I’m sorry you are going through this. I hope you get good news soon.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I am wondering if you might not have been better off taking it to a different jeweler for removing the diamond-especially with their attitude. I just recently took a ring in to get the diamond removed and the jeweler did it right in front of me. It's always bothered me that you said the jewelers talked you out of removing the diamond the first time. They should have known, especially if they were "experts" that GIA would not have listed the Argyle Inscription on the report without seeing it on the diamond when they examined it.
I really do hope this turns out well for you.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
I found more pictures of the ring. You can see how big the claws are. The pictures do distort because when you actually look at the ring the claws don't stick out like they look like they do in these pictures rings 001.JPG rings 002.JPG pictures of the ring :)

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
I am wondering if you might not have been better off taking it to a different jeweler for removing the diamond-especially with their attitude. I just recently took a ring in to get the diamond removed and the jeweler did it right in front of me. It's always bothered me that you said the jewelers talked you out of removing the diamond the first time. They should have known, especially if they were "experts" that GIA would not have listed the Argyle Inscription on the report without seeing it on the diamond when they examined it.
I really do hope this turns out well for you.

I agree with you pinkjewel. Hindsight is always better lol. I really don't understand why she was being such a btch. Because the diamond wasn't from them i think they really didn't want to touch it. I took it there because they are big and very well known. I should have taken it elsewhere.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
I agree with you pinkjewel. Hindsight is always better lol. I really don't understand why she was being such a btch. Because the diamond wasn't from them i think they really didn't want to touch it. I took it there because they are big and very well known. I should have taken it elsewhere.

It all comes back that i should have INSISTED they remove it and verify when they first did it. But she sold me on her insistence that it HAD to be the right diamond and i was so excited to wear it and she made me fear having it be removed and then replaced.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
I keep checking back to see if you’ve heard anything yet. After reading this, now I’m anxious. You would think they would try to accommodate you because it was their error that caused the problem. I’m sorry you are going through this. I hope you get good news soon.

I really did expect this from this manager. She made it clear that it wouldn't be fair to her other customers if she did this for me ahead of them and that she would get to it when she had the time! Not at all the attitude that i would expect after all i have been thru BECAUSE of them!! But it does add to my anxiety greatly that she hasn't gotten back to me. I am having it reappraised after they remove it but she knows i don't want to wait for the appraisal ....i just want confirmation of the inscription. Her attitude, i am sure, is because i wanted them to remove the diamond at no cost to me because it was their error 10 years ago. This with the fact that it is probably more valuable than anything they have in their store and she doesn't want to be responsible if an error occurs and damage is done to the stone upon removal. She is just a very angry woman and she is taking it out on me. That is ok.....i was going to buy another diamond to be put in the empty setting but i sure won't be buying it from them now!!

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
I am waiting with baited breath on the results of this thread! The diamond is gorgeous and I truly hope the Argyle inscription appears once unset.

Me too GliderPass! I will post as soon as i hear anything!!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I really did expect this from this manager. She made it clear that it wouldn't be fair to her other customers if she did this for me ahead of them and that she would get to it when she had the time! Not at all the attitude that i would expect after all i have been thru BECAUSE of them!! But it does add to my anxiety greatly that she hasn't gotten back to me. I am having it reappraised after they remove it but she knows i don't want to wait for the appraisal ....i just want confirmation of the inscription. Her attitude, i am sure, is because i wanted them to remove the diamond at no cost to me because it was their error 10 years ago. This with the fact that it is probably more valuable than anything they have in their store and she doesn't want to be responsible if an error occurs and damage is done to the stone upon removal. She is just a very angry woman and she is taking it out on me. That is ok.....i was going to buy another diamond to be put in the empty setting but i sure won't be buying it from them now!!

Well, I know if it was me (and I'm a pretty tolerant person) I would have just asked for a chair and told them I would wait there until they got to it. Well ,actually, if it was me I would have taken it somewhere else-lol. And I would not have let the ring out of my sight- insisting that they remove the diamond and search for the inscription in front of me. I am getting all sorts of red flags from your jeweler's behavior.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Well, I know if it was me (and I'm a pretty tolerant person) I would have just asked for a chair and told them I would wait there until they got to it. Well ,actually, if it was me I would have taken it somewhere else-lol. And I would not have let the ring out of my sight- insisting that they remove the diamond and search for the inscription in front of me. I am getting all sorts of red flags from your jeweler's behavior.

I would have if it wasn't for the fact that they were closing in the next 1/2 hr and i recently had cataract surgery on both eyes, and i lost my distance vision so i can't drive until they fix it. Otherwise i would have driven back first thing this morning and sat and waited with ring in hand. I am sure though, that the problem is with this manager.....she is the one who is making me wait. It is a big company....that is why i took it to them. I have now learned that bigger is not always better lmao!

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
If it wasn't for all the responses i have received on this forum and the assurance i have felt from some who have given me valid reasons to believe they will find the inscription when they remove it i am sure i would be in bed paralyzed with depression and anxiety! I will be going above this managers head with complaints about how i have been treated and how long i was made to wait for something that could have been solved in less than 5 minutes!! Thank you so much for all your support it has meant so much to me!

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I would have if it wasn't for the fact that they were closing in the next 1/2 hr and i recently had cataract surgery on both eyes, and i lost my distance vision so i can't drive until they fix it. Otherwise i would have driven back first thing this morning and sat and waited with ring in hand. I am sure though, that the problem is with this manager.....she is the one who is making me wait. It is a big company....that is why i took it to them. I have now learned that bigger is not always better lmao!

What company is it?

I found more pictures of the ring. You can see how big the claws are. The pictures do distort because when you actually look at the ring the claws don't stick out like they look like they do in these pictures rings 001.JPG rings 002.JPG pictures of the ring :)

Oh they're v-prongs! I don't know how the jeweler felt the inscription could not be hiding under there somewhere. They take up a lot of real estate!!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I am sure though, that the problem is with this manager.....she is the one who is making me wait. It is a big company....that is why i took it to them.

I don't know much about pink diamonds, but I do know a little bit about getting people to give you what you want despite them not wanting to.

File a complaint with upper management or whoever is above the store manager. Most shamelessly. Go full Karen on them. :bigsmile:

If you're faced with bad service and lack of professionalism, let them know. You're the person with the fancy super expensive diamond. You're the person with the means who will now opt to not spend said means on their goods. You're the one who will take her business and money elsewhere.

The store manager doesn't care. Her salary doesn't depend on you. (That's the problem with big companies. Of course with smaller businesses you might face other issues.) So don't feel the slightest bit guilty about standing up for yourself.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Sh*t, I was hoping for good news by now.
Those are honkin' big prongs.
I have a (cheap) UV GIA oval that my jeweler could barely read with her loupe, it's the smallest inscription I've ever seen. Or not seen. Betting yours is even tinier.
Either way, you have a really rare and beautiful diamond. Wow.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I suspect I know a reason they may be mistaken.
After all, we're all human.
FCDs are rare.
Pink is one of the rarest colors.
Argyle pinks inscribed with their Argyle number are even more rare.
Only the Argyle Tender diamonds are more rare.

How many Argyle girdle inscriptions do you suppose these 3 jewelers have seen in person, with their loupe?
I'd guess zero, unless they specialize in top-drawer FCDs.
I'm sure those jewelers certainly exist but I think they are not every corner jeweler.
But I'm sure all 3 of your jewelers have seen many GIA inscriptions, which are much longer.
I doubt a GIA inscription would fit under any prong, unless that prong is holding HRH The Queen's 3,106 carat rock. ;))

The emerald cut's girdle has eight facets, the two long ones, the two shorter ones, and the four extremely short ones at the four corners.
My inscription in the pic above is on one of those short corner facets.
On a 0.27 ct emerald cut those corner facets are tiny and the inscription takes up maybe 85% of the corner facet.

54.png

I'll try to get a measurement.
Then you'll need to carefully measure your prongs with a calipers or micrometer you can buy on Amazon.
Or take it to a jeweler who has a calipers or micrometer.

I'll try to get a measurement for you.

Kenny, bless your heart for all this.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Ok folks,,,,drum roll please lol.....the inscription IS on the diamond!! OMG I can't tell you the relief i am feeling. Thanks to all of your for support during this very difficult time for me.

I finally got so stressed with the waiting that i posted a long very negative review on their website and on FB. I also told them that the longer it took for me to hear back from them the more reviews i was going to be doing!! Amazingly enough....the phone rang right after the posts lol. So if you want action post a negative review lol.

After a long, and very emotional face to face conversation with the same lady that assured me 10 years ago that my stone was what was on the GIA because the mapping matched and who had talked me out of having it removed, verified and then remounted, because of the risk of damaging the diamond, again explained from a business point of view; how devastating and costly and sad it would be if they removed it and it got damaged. Very different than just popping an ordinary diamond out of a setting. She explained that if they damaged the diamond during removal not only was it extremely rare but that it could never be replaced because the mine is closed. Looking at it from her view gave me a better understanding of the business side of not even wanting to touch that diamond. After hearing each other out we came to an agreement that i still wanted them reappraise the diamond making sure they had the inscription on the new appraisal!!!! She was 100% better to deal with than the other manager i had dealt with the past couple of days.

When i told her that the buyer i had found was from Australia, her face dropped. She said that recently, she knows of 2 people who have sent pink diamonds to Australia who never got their money. She said would do some research on them before i sent the diamond to them. They might even consign it for me rather than me sending it to another far away country lol. I am glad we resolved our differences and i am not sure if i am going to tell my buyer yet that it is inscribed and move ahead with the sale. I might wait a bit.

Ok folks,,,,drum roll please lol.....the inscription IS on the diamond!! OMG I can't tell you the relief i am feeling. Thanks to all of your for support during this very difficult time for me.

I finally got so stressed with the waiting that i posted a long very negative review on their website and on FB. I also told them that the longer it took for me to hear back from them the more reviews i was going to be doing!! Amazingly enough....the phone rang right after the posts lol. So if you want action post a negative review lol.

After a long, and very emotional face to face conversation with the same lady that assured me 10 years ago that my stone was what was on the GIA because the mapping matched and who had talked me out of having it removed, verified and then remounted, because of the risk of damaging the diamond, again explained from a business point of view; how devastating and costly and sad it would be if they removed it and it got damaged. Very different than just popping an ordinary diamond out of a setting. She explained that if they damaged the diamond during removal not only was it extremely rare but that it could never be replaced because the mine is closed. Looking at it from her view gave me a better understanding of the business side of not even wanting to touch that diamond. After hearing each other out we came to an agreement that i still wanted them reappraise the diamond making sure they had the inscription on the new appraisal!!!! She was 100% better to deal with than the other manager i had dealt with the past couple of days.

When i told her that the buyer i had found was from Australia, her face dropped. She said that recently, she knows of 2 people who have sent pink diamonds to Australia who never got their money. She said would do some research on them before i sent the diamond to them. They might even consign it for me rather than me sending it to another far away country lol. I am glad we resolved our differences and i am not sure if i am going to tell my buyer yet that it is inscribed and move ahead with the sale. I might wait a bit.

Oh woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am doing a happy dance for you, my friend! How relieved you must feel. Props to the PSers who were confident from the start that it was there. I'll admit I was concerned. Big congrats to you, and good luck with the sale!! :dance:

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Oh woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am doing a happy dance for you, my friend! How relieved you must feel. Props to the PSers who were confident from the start that it was there. I'll admit I was concerned. Big congrats to you, and good luck with the sale!! :dance:

thank you so much Autumn! After the pictures Kenny sent me i had some real hope that it was hidden under the claw, but until visually it has been verified there is always the chance it is not there. I just can't explain how his information helped me survive the very long wait!! I am also can't describe the relief because i have wondered about this for 10 years when they failed to verify inscription on first appraisal!

thank you so much Autumn! After the pictures Kenny sent me i had some real hope that it was hidden under the claw, but until visually it has been verified there is always the chance it is not there. I just can't explain how his information helped me survive the very long wait!! I am also can't describe the relief because i have wondered about this for 10 years when they failed to verify inscription on first appraisal!

Well you're good to go now, my friend! So happy for you!! I hope you continue to post with us in the future. :wink2:

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
I will continue to post Autumn. I have met some amazing people on here. Now that i have the inscription verified, and i am getting a new appraisal done i have a lot more options on what i am going to do with the stone. I have received a few other emails from interested buyers so i am going to take my time before i sell it. I also have to pick out another diamond to fill my setting :). I will keep everyone informed of what happens going forward :). Am i best to make a new post when things happen or to put the updates on this thread?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results