shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE Help - GIA report Has Argyle inscription # but no inscription on diamond!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Here is picture of my diamond

I have a radiant cut just like yours. It has four prongs and after i looked at your picture, i can see how it could be hidden under one of those prongs. Each prong is on an edge just like this one. I think they are wrong and it is hidden so i went back and they are removing the diamond so i know 100% if it is there or not. I think it has to be there! I have remained friends with the person who sold me the ring over all they years and he has answered my questions for me over that time. I was in such shock when they told me that it couldn't be small enough to be on there i wasn't thinking clearly i just reacted with overwhelming fear. GIA Certificate Pink D 001.jpg

Ah I see they actually SAY INSCRIPTION- not just the Argyke report number. So my theory is out.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
If the Argyle inscription is notated on the GIA in the comments section under the “Inscription:” header, then it was present on the stone when GIA examined it, no alternative. GIA is not validating, seconding, confirming, or evaluating anything under the “Inscription:” header - GIA is just notating that this inscription exists on the stone.

However, @Ionysis brings up a good point - we don’t know precisely how this inscription is appearing on the GIA report. I can’t think of any other way, but best to not make assumptions I suppose!! I edited my questions to OP above to request a screenshot of the GIA to answer this!

Here’s a CS thread with a couple of examples:

Crossed posts Yssie! You’re right the GIA cert appears to be unequivocal. Let’s hope that number is under the prong.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Wow. What a mess. I'm so sorry this is happening to you .
To answer Autumn in New England- Yes!! Argyle pinks are sold at a premium price over other pink diamonds.
What is bothersome to me is that the GIA report has the inscribed Argyle number, which means it had to be inscribed when they looked at it. So, I'm sorry I am not sure where you can go from here. It's unfortunate that so much time has elapsed from when you purchased the diamond. Is the original dealer still in business? Was it Leibish by any chance? I totally trust them. I think the first thing I would do is try to contact the dealer and see if they kept original photos of the diamond and then go from there

I still have the video of the diamond the seller sent me after i bought the diamond. I just can't believe he would defraud me.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Leibish sold me an pink with Argyle's laser inscription on the girdle.
GIA graded it 0.27 ct., VVS1 Fancy Deep Purplish Pink, but Argyle graded it pure pink (P3).
Pricescope chose my pic to include in their Education section on FCDs, in their pink article.

86.png

Being a macrophotographer geek, I managed to get a pic of the girdle inscription.

55.png

Perhaps I may be able measure the width of the inscription, and I do mean perhaps.
These things are tiny and I don't have a stereo microscope with a dial caliper stage for precisemeasurement of such things.
If I could tell you the width of the inscription (assuming your Argyle number also has 6 digits and the A icon like mine) you may find that your prongs (if you can manage to measure them with a calipers) are wider.
If so, your Argyle inscription may be hidden by a prong.

I'll give this measurement a go, and post later.

You may already have this but here's the link to Argyle's website's Authentication page, where you enter the Argyle number and it tells you Argyle's grading of the stone.

As always with competent labs, grades may not match perfectly (but of course should be very close).
For instance GIA graded my emerald cut VVS1 Fancy Deep Purplish Pink.
Argyle graded it pure pink (P3) and VVS2.
All other parameters matched.
I point this out because it addresses the assumption some folks make that all specs must match exactly.+

From my understanding P3 on an Argyle Certificate is clarity not color. Color is graded from 9-1. On my GIA report the color is Fancy Intense Purplish Pink. On copy of Argyle certificate it is color coded as 6PP which i believe is very similar with my limited knowledge. On GIA clarity is SI2 on Argyle it is P1. Visual appraisal i had done matches GIA perfectly because they use same grading system.
If GIA said your diamond was VVS1 Fancy Deep Purplish Pink I would expect the Argyle would have probably rated your stone a 7PP or maybe even 8PP (9 being deepest color and most valuable) PP stand for Purplish Pink. If they graded it as pure pink it would instead be 7P or 8P. When the Letter is first and number after i understood they were talking about clarity.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
But do you think the GIA would risk copying an inscription number from an outside document on their own report, without first verifying it for themselves on the actual diamond? That seems really reckless to me. :???:

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the person who appraised it is wrong about there being no inscription. I will let everyone know the outcome when they remove the stone and verify 100%.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
You could contact argyle diamonds and provide them with the information you have and the number. Ask them when the diamond was mined and the chain of custody.
[email protected]

It is highly probable the inscription is hidden by a prong.

I have sent them a message thank you for email! :)
If the Argyle inscription is notated on the GIA in the comments section under the “Inscription:” header, then it was present on the stone when GIA examined it, no alternative. GIA is not validating, seconding, confirming, or evaluating any of the content under that “Inscription:” header - GIA is just notating that this inscription exists on the stone.

However, @Ionysis brings up a good point - we don’t know precisely how this inscription is appearing on the GIA report. I can’t think of any other way, but best to not make assumptions I suppose!! I edited my questions to OP above to request a screenshot of the GIA to answer this!

Here’s a CS thread with a couple of examples:

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the person who appraised it is wrong about there being no inscription. I will let everyone know the outcome when they remove the stone and verify 100%.

I hope this is the case too, my friend! From what I'm gathering of other members' experiences, we're talking about a super tiny inscription. And @kenny's is located exactly where a prong would lay. Please do keep us posted. I will be sending positive vibes your way that you have a good outcome!

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
I have posted a copy of the GIA report on here. GIA NUMBER IS 2131240586

Say Inscription: argyle symbol 303425

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
I hope this is the case too, my friend! From what I'm gathering of other members' experiences, we're talking about a super tiny inscription. And @kenny's is located exactly where a prong would lay. Please do keep us posted. I will be sending positive vibes your way that you have a good outcome!

Thank you so much everyone for giving me some hope. I was depressed when i was told it wasn't there.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally have a measurement.
The length of the corner facet of my emerald cut is 0.024".
Eyeballing the inscription I'd say it takes up, oh, say, 87% of that facet.
So, 0.024" x 0.87 = 0.021"
Argyle's inscription, including their logo, is 0.021 inches long.

But how wide is a prong?

I have only one old diamond ring with prongs.
So, under my 4 " LED magnifier using a high quality Swiss-made calipers I measured the diameter (width) of a prong.
It was 0.040".

So the entire Argyle inscription can easily fit under a prong.
Actually, TWO inscriptions would nearly fit.

Of course not all prongs are the same diameter, but since my inscription is only half the length of my prong I stand by my measurements and arithmetic and it's virtually certain that your laser inscription is under a prong.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see your stone is a radiant.
That means the prongs are almost certainly at the 4 beveled corners, like my emerald cut.
Since it's Argyle itself (not GIA) that laser inscribes these diamonds perhaps all the inscriptions are in the same place on rectangular 8-sided cuts like ours.

Yep, I'd bet my neighbor's paycheck that it's hiding under a prong.

Last edited:

But how wide is a prong?

I have only one old diamond diamond ring with prongs.
So, under my 4 " LED magnifier using a high quality Swiss-made calipers I measured a prong.
It was 0.040".

Actually, nearly TWO inscriptions would fit.

Obviously not all prongs are the same diameter but I stand by my measurements and arithmetic and am quite certain it is possible your laser inscription may be under a prong.

That means the prongs are almost certainly at the 4 beveled corners, like my emerald cut.
Since it's Argyle itself that laser inscribes these diamonds it may be a safe assumption all the inscriptions are in the same place on rectangular 8-sided cuts.

This is great news and really helpful info... I hope that turns out to be the case for OP! :)

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
The inscription is 0.021 inches long.

But how wide is a prong?

I have only one old diamond ring with prongs.
So, under my 4 " LED magnifier using a high quality Swiss-made calipers I measured the diameter (width) of a prong.
It was 0.040".

Actually, TWO inscriptions would nearly fit.

Obviously not all prongs are the same diameter but I stand by my measurements and arithmetic and am quite certain it is possible your laser inscription may be under a prong.

Thank you so much for this info Kenny. Reading all the information people are sharing is giving me hope and making the wait to find our more bearable.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
How do i edit my original post? I would like to add the GIA CERTIFICATE to it. Ty

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do i edit my original post? I would like to add the GIA CERTIFICATE to it. Ty

We are only allowed 45 minutes to edit our posts.
After that it's locked forever, unless you ask admin to fix it.
To notify admin click on REPORT CONCERN in the lower left corner of the post you want fixed.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Three questions:
What year is the GIA report from?
Have you had the stone in your possession since your purchase in 2012?
Can you post a screenshot of the GIA report where it notates the Argyle inscription?

Ditto @kenny.

Just remove the stone and look at it under a microscope (actual microscope, not billion-magnification loupe - most people who aren’t macro photog experts like Kenny can’t use those super high-mag lenses/loupes).
I’m 99% confident the inscription is there, hidden under a prong, exactly what these experts are telling you is impossible.
There is a 1% possibility that the girdle was repolished and the inscription removed in the time between when the GIA report was issued and when you purchased it, assuming you have had the stone in your possession since purchase in 2012.

For future consideration, don’t ever buy any jewellery as an investment. Your family and friends are right: For anyone not in the trade it’s a really terrible idea.

Year of report is april 1, 2011. The stone has been in my possession since my purchase in 2012. I did post the GIA Report on this thread so you can see where the # is.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
We are only allowed 45 minutes to edit our posts.
After that it's locked forever, unless you ask admin to fix it.
To notify admin click on REPORT CONCERN in the lower left corner of the post you want fixed.

Good to know thank you! I just wanted everyone to know that i posted on this thread the GIA Report as well as the video of the diamond they took before i purchased it. I don't know where to find where they are lol. I am a newby

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Since it's Argyle itself (not GIA) that laser inscribes these diamonds perhaps all the inscriptions are in the same place on rectangular 8-sided cuts like ours.

I so hope you are right Kenny! That is exactly where the claws are and they do cover those entire edges!

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Can everyone see the GIA report i posted and the video of the diamond? I have seen the GIA report but have no idea where the video is lol.

Ellipses

Rough_Rock
I so hope you are right Kenny! That is exactly where the claws are and they do cover those entire edges!

This is honestly quite the ride to watch on the sidelines. But yah, seeing the math, it should be under the prongs. And the fact that the setting you had has it covering the corners probably doesn’t help. I personally think that before posting the diamond up for sell, knowing there was “no inscription” on the diamond, I would of asked to remove the diamond entirely, and then get a reputable lab to check for the inscription. Also, I too see no video.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For shipping I'd give www.malcaamit.com a call.
They ship high value stuff, jewels, fine art gold bullion etc.
I think many in the diamond industry use them, but you don't have to work in the industry.

I've used them several times and never lost a stone
Can everyone see the GIA report i posted and the video of the diamond? I have seen the GIA report but have no idea where the video is lol.

I saw the GIA report but no video.
I think you have to upload it to some site like youtube and then post a link to it.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
This is honestly quite the ride to watch on the sidelines. But yah, seeing the math, it should be under the prongs. And the fact that the setting you had has it covering the corners probably doesn’t help. I personally think that before posting the diamond up for sell, knowing there was “no inscription” on the diamond, I would of asked to remove the diamond entirely, and then get a reputable lab to check for the inscription. Also, I too see no video.

I wasn't told till yesterday that the diamond couldn't be inscribed because they could not see and numbers at all so they assured me it wasn't there. If i wasn't so shocked by that news i would have insisted yesterday that they completely remove the diamond and have it checked. They were so sure it wasn't there. After talking with others today, and seeing pictures of how small it really was,,,,i took the diamond back to them for removal and verify that it is not there because it not being there makes no sense with all other documents verifying the validity. Plus i very much trust the person who sold me the diamond and we have kept in touch over they years. I was just so shocked when they told me it wasn't there it sent me into an emotional spiral. I had a buyer for the diamond but it was conditional on the inscription on the diamond and that was why is was so devastating.

I don't know why the video didn't post. i will keep trying to get it to post as it is very beautiful :)

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
I'd ask the buyer if they want the ring, or just the stone.
Maybe they don't even want the setting.

Then removing the stone would work out for both of you.

The buyer didn't want the setting, just the stone. that is why i decided to trust my gut and have it removed so i could be absolutely sure it wasn't hidden after their assurances that it wasn't there. I am sure if you are right Kenny my Buyer will still want the diamond. Before i spent a couple of thousand insuring and shipping it to Australia i thought it best to verify before i shipped. If the inscription is not there, i will have saved myself wasting that money and incurred more cost having to pay to have them ship it back to me.

Last edited:

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know why the video didn't post. i will keep trying to get it to post as it is very beautiful :)

You cannot upload a video directly to here. I recommend dragging and dropping the video file/s on imgur.com and copy-pasting the URL that results. It is more intuitive than uploading a video to YouTube or Instagram.
If you can't manage, photos are great too if you have any =)2

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
For shipping I'd give www.malcaamit.com a call.
They ship high value stuff, jewels, fine art gold bullion etc.
I think many in the diamond industry use them, but you don't have to work in the industry.

I've used them several times and never lost a stone

I saw the GIA report but no video.
I think you have to upload it to some site like youtube and then post a link toif

if the inscription is on the diamond, i will check out malcaamit. Did you send your diamonds in a padded box or is a padded envelope good enough?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results