shape
carat
color
clarity

Slipped into the pink diamond rabbit hole...help pull me out!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't buy loose white diamonds...much less colored diamonds. And now I am freaking a bit because I just made a totally uneducated impulse pink diamond purchase without any knowledge or idea what to do with them.

I went to visit my local bench and I wanted to buy something since I gave him no business during Covid. Great affordable bench, honest guy but his pricing is always all over the place. He was showing me stuff that he bought from an estate and these caught my eye. Unlike a lot of FCDs I've seen (which aren't many), I liked the color (good saturation, no brown modifiers, baby pink to purplish pink depending on lighting). Came with GIA reports (shown below) so I bought them. I paid $1500 for the pair. That puts them on par with the some of the rarest CS in terms of per carat price for melee size stones...yet it isn't uncommon to see pink diamond melee in settings? Now I am looking at prices on-line and they seem to be all over the place. Without knowing how to differentiate outside of the obvious, at least it seems like I didn't overpay - phew! Like other CS pricing, it's so confusing. Another rabbit hole :doh:. They don't give clarity but there are no chips, etc.

The real problem (since they are already purchased and a sunk cost) is I have no idea what to do with them as they are different sizes and small. I don't wear dainty well. Not even sure it's worth doing anything custom with them or if I just keep as one-off novelties in the gem box.

Anything you can tell me about the quality/relative value of these based on the stats and/or suggestions for setting (or not) would be most appreciated. Thank you~

Attachments

• 20220219_165339.jpg
    20220219_165339.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220219_152520.jpg
    20220219_152520.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220219_151723.jpg
    20220219_151723.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220219_151714.jpg
    20220219_151714.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty diamonds! Would a bypass ring with halo (or double halo) give you enough coverage?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

0.15 5PP SI2 with GIA. This stone has sold but Waybackmachine has it cached. List price was over 15k USD.

Of course price always depends on how an FCD looks but with a stone with both Argyle and GIA evaluation, well, it def ain’t the Wild West anymore!!

$1500 for them both… :shock:

3FF29A61-AEF9-48C9-B385-66650952AA96.png

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Those were/are worth a lot more than 1500.00 bucks. You have yourself a deal.
What about a nice cluster or medallion cluster pendant? You could incorporate those into so many designs!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He was showing me stuff that he bought from an estate and these caught my eye

Amazing find and amazing story! Congratulations! And nice work by sleuths @yssie and @Asscherhalo_lover above!

And: this is what will happen to most of the carefully-curated stuff on PS. :lol-2:

When jewelers would rhapsodize about "passing something down," we would nod and say how great it will be when our kids sell it for drug money. (Not so funny now that they are older, though...:confused2:)

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
Very nice! A pendant would be pretty. 24E00F96-4B71-4EFF-AF8A-31E2DA5B4CAE.jpeg

Attachments

• 8349EBDB-EE3D-4E6E-BCB1-00D96D270DAC.jpeg
    8349EBDB-EE3D-4E6E-BCB1-00D96D270DAC.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 09A17109-8453-4238-8C84-3539F5567372.jpeg
    09A17109-8453-4238-8C84-3539F5567372.jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 7C7BC0F0-B05B-4611-810B-FCC0D8AA13F8.jpeg
    7C7BC0F0-B05B-4611-810B-FCC0D8AA13F8.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 177E9ED3-739A-4965-99AD-714FAEFD4467.jpeg
    177E9ED3-739A-4965-99AD-714FAEFD4467.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 29

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW. BIG THANK YOU @yssie and @Asscherhalo_lover (and others) for the info. I did not realize the inscription meant Argyle or linked to another certification.

In passing, I always thought FCDs were just out of my budget and so I figure it was a chance to own some. Online, I saw prices from $2K to crazy numbers and assumed these must be lower quality somehow. I am a little in shock...I hesitated in asking and while I hoped I got a good price wanted to be clear that if I didn't, it was OK. Never expected anything quite like this.

@kgizo @ItsMainelyYou @thirdrock - Thank you for the setting suggestions! Unfortunately, now I might be afraid to wear them :lol-2:

@LilAlex so true...maybe not for drugs but not having a clue what things are worth.

@T L thank you but it's how I feel every time you post one of your beauties.

Best thing about PS...having experts to help research stuff and a community to share the thrill of a find.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
What about selling one of the diamonds to fund a bucket list project, and then bezel the other in a diamonds by the yard style necklace or bracelet?

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Omg that’s a STEAL. Holy crap. Those are beautiful!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh WOW, what a steal you lucky duck! I can't wait to see what you do with them. My pinks are bezeled in a set of drop earrings.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, wow! Incredible find, and I'm excited to see how you'll set them!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, you could do them as little drops with your favorite CS or like a 'pebble' pendant! That way they won't take as much damage. (Yes, I am designing what I would like, you know, for when you gift those pinks to me :lol:)

C2_540198_l.jpeg
TS_hand_shots_April_3_2016_edited_15_2048x.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Rfisher @Grymera @Sprinkles&Stones @Catmom @lovedogs @ItsMainelyYou for adding your wonderful comments and ideas.

I feel like I hit the jackpot yesterday and today I did my taxes...talk about wins and losses :lol-2:

My gut reaction was that these are too valuable to set/wear and need to go into the safety deposit box. While I might do this for the short term, I buy gems to wear and enjoy. I know they are not investments (which are only last until the next find and/or demand stays high).

I like the idea of a cluster (and @Rfisher 's suggestion is genius) but I wouldn't want these to get lost with other stones (which makes it hard as my taste does not lean towards soft colors). If only I had a few more more FCD's haha-- NOT going there. (Although, I was really bummed that my jeweler sold the pair of GIA certified untreated blue diamonds from the lot before I came in or I would've grabbed those.). Anyway, I will take my time to get it right.

@Grymera's suggestion occurred to me. I could sell one (or both) of these and get one of those types of showcase pieces that I often lust over here on PS but would never consider for myself. But if I am honest, it's always been more a matter of what's in my comfort zone in owning and not finances. As such, I am admittedly wrestling a bit with the idea of setting and wearing these knowing their value. (I know it sound stupid and I need to get over it)

Enough of my crazy rambling when I should be (and am) doing a happy dance. THANK YOU all for helping and sharing in my excitement! When I do something, I will let you know for sure (and likely ask for feedback as these are special and deserve for me to get it right).

@Catmom I had to go back and look up your earrings - they are to die for :kiss2:

Last edited:

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
YES!!and Yay for you @lilmosun! I’m very happy these are yours and you didn’t pass them up! You did good and @yssie your just such an awesome PSer.

-C4C

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations @lilmosun, what a find!
Especially the .18 carat, that’s great clarity and colour.
I like the idea of selling one and keeping the other.
Tiny they might be, but in the Pink diamond world being Arygle matters and the mine is now closed.
Woo Hoo.
Go back to your jeweller and check out what else he might have picked up from that estate……….

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @blingmeupscotty @Crazie4Cuts (and agree, @yssie is awesome sharing her knowledge with so many of us) @Bron357 @demantoidz
If only I had a few more more FCD's haha-- NOT going there.

Okay, I lied...not the first time :doh:

With your input, I am leaning towards a cluster piece of some sort. Wanting more FCDs without spending a lot, I went back to look at the yellow orange diamonds which I had passed on. Orange/yellow aren't my colors and they were expensive relative to the pinks (pink being more in demand/rarer)

But like the pinks, they had good saturation and no brown so I think they will go well together with a sprinkle of white diamonds. (Still crying over missing out on the blue diamonds).

Anyway, I figured it made sense to grab them as opposed to going through the angst of on-line shopping later. At least I know these looked nice in person. Plus now knowing what a bargain I got with the pinks, I didn't mind that these weren't. (And at $1200/pair, I think they would still cost me more at retail.)

Okay, I am trying too hard to rationalize what isn't rational. The truth is I am an impulse shopper with little patience in waiting for things. It's a problem.

And that completes my quick impulse foray into FCD's...I think I have enough for a nice project when the time comes and it's time to step out of the rabbit hole. Thanks for taking the journey with me! :D
20220221_152601.jpg 20220221_152658.jpg 20220221_152718.jpg 20220221_161153.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @blingmeupscotty @Crazie4Cuts (and agree, @yssie is awesome sharing her knowledge with so many of us) @Bron357 @demantoidz

Okay, I lied...not the first time :doh:

With your input, I am leaning towards a cluster piece of some sort. Wanting more FCDs without spending a lot, I went back to look at the yellow orange diamonds which I had passed on. Orange/yellow aren't my colors and they were expensive relative to the pinks (pink being more in demand/rarer)

But like the pinks, they had good saturation and no brown so I think they will go well together with a sprinkle of white diamonds. (Still crying over missing out on the blue diamonds).

Anyway, I figured it made sense to grab them as opposed to going through the angst of on-line shopping later. At least I know these looked nice in person. Plus now knowing what a bargain I got with the pinks, I didn't mind that these weren't. (And at $1200/pair, I think they would still cost me more at retail.)

Okay, I am trying too hard to rationalize what isn't rational. The truth is I am an impulse shopper with little patience in waiting for things. It's a problem.

And that completes my quick impulse foray into FCD's...I think I have enough for a nice project when the time comes and it's time to step out of the rabbit hole. Thanks for taking the journey with me! :D
20220221_152601.jpg 20220221_152658.jpg 20220221_152718.jpg 20220221_161153.jpg

Oh, how exciting! Did he just have the blues, pinks, and oranges, or were there other colors?

On a quick search on Leibish, looks like you still got a very nice deal on the oranges.

Can't wait to see your cluster piece unfold!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
These are beautiful :kiss2: Halo the pinks in pink diamonds, pink gold and love your idea of the cluster!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shame about the blues but you also snagged the yellow/ orange ones so that’s great news.
It isn’t uncommon with deceased estates that people have no idea / can’t be bothered with researching the true value of items but it’s almost “unbelievable” that the jeweller who bought them, obviously for a pittance as he definitely made a “profit” selling to you, did not realise their true worth. It’s a pretty big rock he was living under!
Three cheers for you.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A new FCD cluster - how exciting @lilmosun
:) :) :love:
Are you thinking with round white diamonds or fancy shapes?
(I think of those small perfect heart shaped diamonds that I think pop up on LT from time to time, or those gorgeous little ovals someone posted elsewhere here with a lovely h/a pattern - so striking for an oval!)

I’m so excited to see where this project takes you!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher @bling_dream19 I'm REALLY excited - I never dreamed of owning a non-yellow FCD much less a cluster so it's hard to believe what happened.

@Kim N - yes, that was it except for a larger brownish yellow diamond. There were a lot of finished pieces - some with certs, some without. I didn't know how to compare to Leibish pricihg as I thought they were premium

it’s almost “unbelievable” that the jeweller who bought them, obviously for a pittance as he definitely made a “profit” selling to you, did not realise their true worth. It’s a pretty big rock he was living under!

Great point. My son questioned how a jeweler could underpricing things. My jeweler is an old-school experienced bench but he has no formal training in stones (especially CS) and is not internet savvy.

It likely his real profit came from selling the finished jewelry pieces from this lot - some of it was pretty high end.

I am pretty sure the bulk of his business is repairs, high-end custom work, buying scrap gold and selling to regular clientele for a reasonable profit. Most of his inventory is stuff he bought from walk-ins or took as trade-ins -- much of which he never puts out but will show to his regulars he think might be interested (or will pull out if someone asks for something). I say this because most of his displays are empty and what's there doesn't change much.

He quotes prices on the fly and I've had him give me a significantly different prices on the same piece on different visits. I used to find his off the wall pricing frustrating until I understood it wasn't intentional. Plus having a good affordable local bench is priceless.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results