shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE Help - GIA report Has Argyle inscription # but no inscription on diamond!

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
You cannot upload a video directly to here. I recommend dragging and dropping the video file/s on imgur.com and copy-pasting the URL that results. It is more intuitive than uploading a video to YouTube or Instagram.
If you can't manage, photos are great to if you have any =)2

I will give that a try. Thank you!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well there you go!

BTW
if the inscription is on the diamond, i will check out malcaamit. Did you send your diamonds in a padded box or is a padded envelope good enough?

They recommend getting two FedEx boxes, one small one medium.
Make sure the smaller one can fit into the larger one.
Put the stone and GIA report into the smaller box with some kind of packing material.
Seal the small box.
Put the small one into the larger one.
Seal that.

I believe they can come to your home or place of business to pick it up.
But it is much cheaper if you can bring it to one of their many locations.
Same on the receiving end.
Find out whether the buyer can travel to their nearest Malca-Amit location.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Well there you go!

BTW

Put the stone and GIA report into the smaller box with some kind of packing material.
Seal the small box.
Seal that.

I believe they can come to your home or place of business to pick it up.
But it is much cheaper if you can bring it to one of their many locations.
Same on the receiving end.
Find out whether the buyer can travel to their nearest Malca-Amit location.
I actually still have the box i received it in. It is all padded. It will just cost me a lot more money to ship the 11x6x3 box than a padded envelope.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually still have the box i received it in. It is all padded. It will just cost me a lot more money to ship the 11x6x3 box than a padded envelope.

With Malca-Amit I wouldn't assume anything.
They are different from the usual shippers.
Call them with your questions.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I don't.
I don't even know whether regular shippers can insure a stone as valuable as yours.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful Pink!
.... and what a great size too. :P2

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Oh it's stunning, @pink diamond lover! I can't imagine this diamond will be difficult to sell at retail market value in any instance!! But I wait with baited breath to see if the inscription is hiding under a prong. :idea:

The wait is killing me lol. Reading all these supportive posts have been so helpful to make the time go faster. I do think it is a stunning diamond. I just can't imagine it not being authentic. I love the setting i picked and was sad to have it removed but was very necessary. Thank you for your kind words.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
Did you ever get the diamond reappraised?

I am having it reappraised after they removed and hopefully verify the hopefully hidden inscription. it was appraised in 2012 for $38,000 CAN. I am excited to see where it is sitting now.

baublelove

Rough_Rock
Seal the small box.
Seal that.

I’d add taping a “in case of loss” return label with Malca-Amit’s address on the sealed inner box in case the outer box gets trashed or ripped.

Your diamond is beautiful. I wish you the best of luck with the inscription. I’m in the it’s-under-a-prong camp and your seller was on the up and up.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
I truly do love it.

Kenny do you have a way to see the video clearer than most of us? 2 of the corners where i think the inscription could be are shown but i can't see well enough any kind of inscription.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA would have only included the inscription details if they were on the diamond when they examined / assessed it.
GIA examines the diamond and records what they see, including “inscriptions” which would be lazered onto the girdle.
And only Arygle has the right to inscribe diamonds with their “trademark and number” otherwise anyone could just start fraudently inscribing diamonds and passing them off.
And no, I don’t think that Arygle would accidently forget to inscribe one of their diamonds. Arygle however did sell diamonds without inscriptions. Only the best examples were offered as tender with inscriptions and certificates.
There are also plenty of pink diamonds out there that aren’t Arygle diamonds.
It’s the rarity and origin that commands the big prices and without the Arygle inscription on the girdle it’s impossible to be certain that it is as claimed.
Are you 100% sure that your diamond matches the GIA report?
Did you send the diamond away for the GIA report ? Otherwise it could be a case of that report is not actually for your diamond.
It could have been an error on behalf of the vendor or worse, a switch a rooo.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
GIA would have only included the inscription details if they were on the diamond when they examined / assessed it.
GIA examines the diamond and records what they see, including “inscriptions” which would be lazered onto the girdle.
And only Arygle has the right to inscribe diamonds with their “trademark and number” otherwise anyone could just start fraudently inscribing diamonds and passing them off.
And no, I don’t think that Arygle would accidently forget to inscribe one of their diamonds. Arygle however did sell diamonds without inscriptions. Only the best examples were offered as tender with inscriptions and certificates.
There are also plenty of pink diamonds out there that aren’t Arygle diamonds.
It’s the rarity and origin that commands the big prices and without the Arygle inscription on the girdle it’s impossible to be certain that it is as claimed.
Are you 100% sure that your diamond matches the GIA report?
Did you send the diamond away for the GIA report ? Otherwise it could be a case of that report is not actually for your diamond.
It could have been an error on behalf of the vendor or worse, a switch a rooo.

Yes, the diamond has been physically examined and it matches the GIA report exactly. No i received the diamond with the GIA report. I then took it to an independent Jeweler who examined it and did an appraisal. Unfortunately for me, they mounted the diamond before the realized that they hadn't verified the inscription and then it couldn't be seen. I should have made them remove, verify and remount but they convinced me that it had to be the same diamond because you just couldn't get another natural diamond to fit that match. They are too rare. I also now have seen a copy of the Argyle report and it also matches. I think these Jewelers are just not familar enough with RCD they don't realize how small the Argyle inscription is. Hopefully, i find out if it has indeed been hidden by a claw. The wait is grueling. I have a buyer but it is all dependent on that inscription being on the diamond. It just has to be there. Nothing else makes sense. These stones are so rare they really are one of a kind. I have that on my side.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am suffer from chronic depression and anxiety and I just can't figure this all out!! I am completely overwhelmed. I took all my money out of my RRSP's 10 years ago to invest in this diamond for my retirement. Everyone thought i was crazy when i bought it and I was so close to showing that it was smart investment after all..... and now it has all fallen apart. It is all I have. There just has to be a solution somewhere.

I really do need to comment directly on this part.

I had to look up RRSP - we don’t have that in my country. But we have something extremely similar, so I understand it well enough. I said this before and I’ll say it again directly: Your friends and family were 100% correct to question your decision. Taking all your money out of your RRSP to buy a diamond was incredibly risky and not something any of us would EVER advise anyone outside the diamond trade to consider. It was NOT a smart investment. It had(has) an extremely high probability of ending poorly - the fact that it might not for you is sheer luck, nothing more and nothing less.

For anyone reading - do NOT copy this investment strategy for any dollar amount you aren’t willing to flush down the loo.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, 0.024" x 0.87 = 0.021"
Argyle's inscription, including their logo, is 0.021 inches long.

That's only 0.5 mm which is smaller than any prong.

An easier and more accurate thing to do would be to just post the dimensions of your stone. Then it would be trivial to estimate the size of ~ 80% of that cut-corner facet in any image analysis program like PhotoShop.

Just from a screenshot, I see that each corner facet is ~ 1/7th of the longest dimension of the stone (actually ~ 13.9%). And the inscription is 79% of the width of that facet. So the inscription width is almost exactly 11% of the long dimension of the stone.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
The GIA report with dimensions is above

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GIA report with dimensions is above

No, I mean the dimensions of the stone upthread where the Argyle number can actually be read -- that can be used to easily deduce the width of the laser inscription, as per my post right above yours. The dimensions of the stone with no visible inscription won't help at all there.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
No, I mean the dimensions of the stone upthread where the Argyle number can actually be read -- that can be used to easily deduce the width of the laser inscription, as per my post right above yours. The dimensions of the stone with no visible inscription won't help at all there.

Oh I see! Doh! Yes good point.

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
Best wishesI #pinkdiamondlover I’m sure the Argyle inscription will be found on your diamond. A vivid pink Argyle diamond is extremely beautiful & valuable so kudos to you!
I decided the only diamonds I was interested in were Argyles after a chance meeting with a Rio Tinto associate in 2010.
I rang diamond merchants around Australia till I finally spoke to a Gemologist who had access to Argyle diamonds straight from the mine.
On the day we spoke he was flying from the WA mine back home with diamonds & he only lived 20 minutes from us which was perfect!
I had a choice of pinks, champagnes & cognac diamonds all within different price ranges. They were all so beautiful, the pinks were divine with fairly decent prices for the time.
We had just bought a house so I was mindful of budget but my husband was happy to indulge, I didn’t choose a pink as I fell in love with a C4 champagne.

Last edited:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the diamond has been physically examined and it matches the GIA report exactly. No i received the diamond with the GIA report. I then took it to an independent Jeweler who examined it and did an appraisal. Unfortunately for me, they mounted the diamond before the realized that they hadn't verified the inscription and then it couldn't be seen. I should have made them remove, verify and remount but they convinced me that it had to be the same diamond because you just couldn't get another natural diamond to fit that match. They are too rare. I also now have seen a copy of the Argyle report and it also matches. I think these Jewelers are just not familar enough with RCD they don't realize how small the Argyle inscription is. Hopefully, i find out if it has indeed been hidden by a claw. The wait is grueling. I have a buyer but it is all dependent on that inscription being on the diamond. It just has to be there. Nothing else makes sense. These stones are so rare they really are one of a kind. I have that on my side.

Ok- I'm still not understanding this exactly. You're saying the diamond was "physically examined and it matches the report exactly" And then you took it to the independent jeweler. Who physically examined the diamond? Did they say the inscription was there or not? Or is the first person the jeweler who did the setting? And then you took it somewhere else for an appraisal? I thought you said the jeweler who did the setting also did the appraisal. I am just a bit confused.

The video of the diamond is beautiful. I wonder why there were no close up photos or video sent of the Argyle Inscription? The setting pictures make the diamond look more square than the video, but hopefully that is just the photos. I have seen very poor photos on appraisals so that may easily be what is showing here.

pink diamond lover

Shiny_Rock
That's only 0.5 mm which is smaller than any prong.

An easier and more accurate thing to do would be to just post the dimensions of your stone. Then it would be trivial to estimate the size of ~ 80% of that cut-corner facet in any image analysis program like PhotoShop.

Just from a screenshot, I see that each corner facet is ~ 1/7th of the longest dimension of the stone (actually ~ 13.9%). And the inscription is 79% of the width of that facet. So the inscription width is almost exactly 11% of the long dimension of the stone.

Wow you are so smart! Thank you LilAlex!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results