shape
carat
color
clarity

Please give me your thoughts...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Galateia! :wavey: Nice to see you again!

As a newcomer to this thread, and having just slogged through 7 pages of it, I have just a few observations:

1) I don't happen to think there was a lot of off-line chatter/conspiracy... and I like to think that I have good antennae for that type of thing. As a consumer information site, it's only natural that people argue to disclose the name of the vendor in a situation like this, both because it appears that the consumer with the issue is being forced against a wall and because we want to be aware of problem vendors as we make recommendations to others. Freke was very circumspect in trying to avoid naming the vendor or providing any information that would allow anyone to identify the vendor.

2) I'm impressed that cygnet has agonized over this in silence for two weeks, apparently hoping for a better resolution, before posting about it (in proxy)

3) I love the inspiration ring, and I'm ver sorry this experience has ruined that concept for cygnet.

4) Looking at the pictures of cygnet's ring, it does appear that the workmanship is not up to par with that in the inspiration ring. The first thing that caught my eye is that the innermost "circle" looks more like a circle than an octagon... which sort of negates the whole idea. It also looks like the proportions are significantly different from the inspiration ring. Those two things would be enough for me to call for a do-over. There are other concerns, but I can't be sure how many of those are due to reflections in the photograph rather than actual issues.

5) I know I'm going to take some fire for this, but... is it possible that there are some symmetry issues with the stone itself that are magnified by this particular setting? The base of the leg at about 7 o'clock looks shorter to me than those of the corresponding corners. If that's the case (and it could just be the picture angle) that would be more apparent in this setting than in some others.

cygnet - personally I'd take Dreamer's suggestion and move on.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Rockdiamond|1363145737|3403572 said:
kalima|1363145191|3403564 said:
Rockdiamond said:
double_bezels.jpg
Hi Everyone,

The liability issue: Given that our client has expressed such lack of faith, we are not inclined to do further work on the ring.

I must admit I have not read everything nor do I know of any "secret groups" discussing this as I'm certainly not a part of them. I am curious about if you care about how bad this seems to look from the point of view of a casual observer who doesn't know either party.

Please clarify if these are accurate statements:

You refuse to unset the diamond and return it to the customer. You expect them to unset the diamond and send it back to you so that you can avoid any liability if the diamond is/was damaged during setting and setting removal?

(From a consumer perspective I see no way how you could possibly comprehensively inspect the diamond or the girdle now that it is covered by a double bezel). I also could envision the messy fight if the diamond is/was damaged and a third party is asked to unset the diamond.

The customer has already stated unequivocally and publicly that they will not be satisfied with the work or the way you have handled the transaction yet you are following your policy and delaying the refund (indefinitely?) and paying two way shipping on the off chance they will be happy with the ring once they see it.

I see no possible way the customer could unset the diamond and return the setting while still satisfying this line in your policy "We cannot accept items for return that have been altered or damaged." The bezel will have to be damaged to remove the diamond.
Hi Kalima,
We already clarified this issue, in writing, that the ring can be returned after cutting out the diamond. We also extended the money back- we are honoring our policy, and requiring the client to also do the same.

Wow did this thread explode since I first read it.

Kalima's questions are right on the nose with what was running through my head when reading this, but your response doesn't really answer them. If you have set a stone into a custom made order that isn't what your customer wanted, why would you expect your customer pay to remove it? I haven't worked with you personally, but I have to admit I would have reservations from going custom with you after reading this.

It's like ordering a wedding cake, if the baker doesn't make it to my specifics, not only am i not paying for it, i'm not going to be responsible for throwing it out either. I wouldn't have them ship it to my house to see it before sending it back.

This just doesn't make sense to me. I've got to be missing something

kalima

Rough_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond said:
THIS I really dont understand... i would love to hear why

I'd be very interested ( honestly) to know the policies of your ( or anyone's) favorite bench on working on stones they did not sell.

How many provide insurance?

I beleive most have insurance while the customer's diamond is in their care. Is that the case with your policy?
What is the issue with your insurance and in what circumstance(s) are you not covered by your insurance?

Were you covered at the outset of accepting the diamond by your insurance?

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kalima|1363148420|3403607 said:
Rockdiamond said:

I'd be very interested ( honestly) to know the policies of your ( or anyone's) favorite bench on working on stones they did not sell.

I beleive most have insurance while the customer's diamond is in their care. Is that the case with your policy?
What is the issue with your insurance and in what circumstance(s) are you not covered by your insurance?

I asked this of my local jeweler when they have my diamond/jewelry in their posession. He said right away that they are fully insured through his insurance.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi David/Rockdiamond,

Could you kindly please explain why you and your bench don't want to unmount the stone yourself? A lot of us are confused. Thanks!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cygnet|1363135047|3403377 said:
Thank you GemFever. I hope you are right!

This whole thing has got me so worked up that I'm about ready to take a break from even thinking about my engagement ring, and just putting the stone in a drawer for the next few months and not thinking about it.... but we have been wanting to get engaged for quite a long time and prolonging it further would be a shame.

But man am I burnt out.
now i'm confused... :confused: so the stone has been removed from the setting?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1363149532|3403622 said:
cygnet|1363135047|3403377 said:
Thank you GemFever. I hope you are right!

This whole thing has got me so worked up that I'm about ready to take a break from even thinking about my engagement ring, and just putting the stone in a drawer for the next few months and not thinking about it.... but we have been wanting to get engaged for quite a long time and prolonging it further would be a shame.

But man am I burnt out.
now i'm confused... :confused: so the stone has been removed from the setting?

No, it is in the ring on it's way to her because Diamonds by Lauren would not take the stone out and return it to her. She meant she felt like doing that once the stone was unset.

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
1)Unset cygnet's stone and give her a full refund.
2)Move on.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1363145543|3403570 said:
Freke, and others, seemingly have motives far beyond "helping a friend" they've never even met.
Such as? What the heck do I get out of this?

And how would you know that none of us have ever met? I've actually met quite a few people from PS in real life. And OMG, believe it or not, people might actually steer real life friends and family to PS for diamond education and help! Plus there is this huge thing called the PS GTG that's held annually! Where people from the internet get to MEET IN PERSON.

You know David, I've always thought you acted like an ______ (take your pick) on PS, but I hadn't thought until now that your business practices sucked.

Also, I'm curious why a customer has to pay 100% down for a custom project. I tend to have a LOT of custom projects made for my colored stones, and I've always put 50% down as a deposit, and been asked to pay 50% once it's completed. Is 100% down customary for non-etsy vendors?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
tina sparkle|1363150061|3403628 said:
1)Unset cygnet's stone and give her a full refund.
2)Move on.
If it weren't in transit to her, this probably would have been the best option. :nono:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Since David queried how other vendors handle outside stones, I thought I would relay LM's policy when he did my ring in 2009. At that time his insurance covered my stone for the whole period it was in the jeweler's possession, including the FedExing period. Additionally, when it had to be returned to LM for immediate repair (loose center stone), it went back under his insurance when I dropped it at FedEx and remained under his cover until I signed for it again.

That stone is surely covered by DBL's insurance while unmounting. His declining to do so himself seems like a big "f you" to me, nothing more or less. I don't think there's damage, I think he's ticked that the setting isn't quite right (though I'm sure there was a bit of effort put into its manufacture) and he hasn't been given the option to improve it and still reap a bit of profit. A full refund without having been viewed in person, or given the chance to shave back the bezeling? From a business point of view, that would sting. He's pissed and fighting back the only way possible, right or wrong.

If it were me, to garner resolution I would do exactly what Dreamer outlined. Pick your battles in life. It sounds like this has worn you out completely - sometimes being right isn't worth the sacrifice of being happy.

Big hugs to you, cygnet. Your gorgeous Octavia will find the right home.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
justginger|1363151325|3403643 said:
That stone is surely covered by DBL's insurance while unmounting. His declining to do so himself seems like a big "f you" to me, nothing more or less. I don't think there's damage, I think he's ticked that the setting isn't quite right (though I'm sure there was a bit of effort put into its manufacture) and he hasn't been given the option to improve it and still reap a bit of profit. A full refund without having been viewed in person, or given the chance to shave back the bezeling? From a business point of view, that would sting. He's pissed and fighting back the only way possible, right or wrong.

If it were me, to garner resolution I would do exactly what Dreamer outlined. Pick your battles in life. It sounds like this has worn you out completely - sometimes being right isn't worth the sacrifice of being happy.

Big hugs to you, cygnet. Your gorgeous Octavia will find the right home.

Yes, yes, yes, exactly! Well said, justginger!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and David, while you're answering questions, I have one.

So you're saying that your insurance does not cover the stone being unset at this point. Cygnet would have to get her own insurance and then you'd be happy to do that for her.

If she had wanted uber bench or the lesser bench to conduct a do-over and remake this ring, would the insurance have covered your bench unsetting it? If so, what is the difference?

Also, you seemed to be willing to have your bench unset it so you and a gentleman from another jeweler could look over it together 4 days ago. What's up with that?

Yup, sounds like a big fat "F you" indeed, justginger!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cushioncutnut|1363148667|3403611 said:
Rockdiamond said:

I asked this of my local jeweler when they have my diamond/jewelry in their posession. He said right away that they are fully insured through his insurance.

David,

I didn't even have to pay my vendor. I dropped off my diamond, and that was deposit enough for her to do the job. And yes, she insured it for me while she set it. I was about to buy Jeweler's Mutual for my stone, but she insisted it was unnecessary since she was going to insure it as well. She said I could insure it up to a million bucks, if I wanted to, but I had her insure it for the value I purchased my stone at.

This was with SN Queens, who insured it purely for the good of the customer. They are not a Pricescope vendor that needed to be backed into a corner in a thread in order to do the right thing. Please, for the love of God, just do the right thing. She does not need to be spending MORE money on shipping it back to you and having another vendor unset the stone… IF THAT'S WHAT SHE CHOOSES. But honestly, in my own opinion, if I were her, I wouldn't want you to touch the diamond again JUST SO IT WON'T HAVE TO BE MAILED FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME. But, that should be HER choice.

So, since you cannot un-ship the ring, the only thing I see as acceptable for you to fix the situation as much as you can is to:
A) Pay the shipping label for the ring to be shipped back to you, unset the stone, and ship it back to her to any address she chooses, be it her own, and appraiser's, or another vendor's. Refund her within 36-48 hours.
or
B) If she chooses to unset it herself, reimburse her for the unset fee. If Cygnet feels uncomfortable mailing the whole ring back to you for fear of the ring being lost in transit, she should be able to have the choice to have it unset elsewhere. BUT YOU SHOULD BE PAYING FOR THAT UNSET FEE, AS IT IS YOUR FAULT SHE HAS THE RING ANYWAY, since she has clearly stated to you that she did not want you to ship it to her. You should NOT have shipped it to her when she did not want you to!

And for a personal note, this whole situation has made me have zero faith in a vendor just because they're a Pricescope vendor. I had so much faith in dealing with Pricescope vendors because I felt that, if Pricescope and Pricescopers back them, they MUST be trustworthy and would bend over backwards with Nordstrom-esque customer service to serve me. Luckily, the vendor I did go with did not cause me such troubles and heartache. But I will no longer be so trusting. And I don't think I will ever feel comfortable with using bank wire or check again. This sucks, but Cygnet's experience should be a warning to us all to never trust a vendor 100%, to keep all communication in writing by emails, and to use credit cards for an extra layer of protection at the expense of losing a wire discount.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Oy vey...and then some.
What a shit storm.
After slogging through all this I still can't believe the part about being forced to pay by check. That would've been the deal breaker for me. There are far too many fish in the sea.
It's a beautiful stone. I agree with whoever said get a nice Scholdt setting and be done with it for a while. Life is too short.
P.S. to Freke
I'm loving my spinel. Might even make it into a engagement/wedding ring someday.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
By the way, the reason cygnet didn't give him a chance to reset it is because he lied to her about how it looked and tried to send it to her without pics. Needless to say, she lost her trust in him and Diamonds by Lauren.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
texaskj|1363152137|3403655 said:
Oy vey...and then some.
What a shit storm.
After slogging through all this I still can't believe the part about being forced to pay by check. That would've been the deal breaker for me. There are far too many fish in the sea.
It's a beautiful stone. I agree with whoever said get a nice Scholdt setting and be done with it for a while. Life is too short.
P.S. to Freke
I'm loving my spinel. Might even make it into a engagement/wedding ring someday.
Yay! I miss it sometimes! Give it a squeeze for me and tell it I'm glad it went to a home where it's loved!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lula|1363142456|3403510 said:
Dreamer_D|1363140815|3403490 said:
cygnet|1363135581|3403386 said:
How do I go about getting it insured ASAP and then getting it unset and shipped it back within 7 days?

I'm a noob. And I'm tired. Please help.

:read:

Your appraisal takes 30 mins from any local person, just make sure they state in the description that it is a branded stone and reference the AGS report. Then you go online to Perfect Circle and apply, you attach all your documents, and I beleiev you are covered right away! If not you can call Perfect circle, explain that you want to have some work done on your ring right away and that you need immediate coverage. Go see a jeweler and they can unset it in like 10 mins -- they use a bitty saw and it won't damage your diamond (the saw is softer than diamond) I have unset many diamond this way. Then ship the setting back using express mail with insurance. Should take less than 7 days!

Gee, I sure hope that the Perfect Circle/JM rep isn't reading this thread :rolleyes:

Why? I am not sure where there is anything unethical here. There is NO proof of damage to the diamond? I am not suggesting lying. She wants insurance in case of damage when she unsets her ring, no? ETA: That is how I see it: insuring a ring while I have it worked on. All this talk about existing damage etc is, IMO, just fanning flames, and it not a realistic possibility.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've just had a read thru all the previous 9 pages and don't think there is anything to be added about the specifics of cygnet's problem. I only hope she gets a suitable solution, and by that I mean a quick solution as by now there is no good to come from it. It can only get worse. I think you should both cut your losses and walk, no, run in opposite directions .

I also want to say that I think its a shame that she felt uncomfortable posting personally in the first place. I too would have been scared of the potential flaming and given how this thread has gone she was right too be. PS is becoming a very judgemental place. I wonder how many others of us are deciding not to post as we dont want to be the victim of a mass stoning.

I am not taking any sides and don't want to get into any of the ins and out of the conversations between cygnet and david. The only thing I can say is that I personally would have been unhappy to receive the ring cygnet received, it swamps that beautiful stone.

And to show what an asscher in a well made double halo would look like I post several examples from the lovely Laurentthepartier

There are also several other examples in the following thread......
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/sh...d-cuts-asschers-a-collection-t113993-480.html

laurentthepartier_1.jpg

laurentthepartier_2.jpg

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I just don't understand...

If a diamond is sent to the vendor unset, why isn't it returned to the owner the way they received it(unmounted). I don't buy the whole "insurance won't cover it now that we've set it". Businesses have liability insurance, if they damage it, they are responsible for it, if it's not damaged, there's no problem. Heck, they'd be subjected to more liability sending it off and letting the owner unmount it because they'd never have proof it was sent back in it's original condition.

Second, to my untrained eye-the inspiration ring looks identical(except for different shaped diamond) to the custom ring. Yes, the halo is big and bulky and clunky but that's the way it looks in the inspiration ring to me. I seriously see no difference. I don't think DBL would have been my choice based on the inspiration ring. I'm just going by the photo collage comparing the two side by side, I don't know where any other pictures are of this setting but in the side by side comparison- I see no difference.

I hope the diamond finds a better setting home and all things are resolved but I think you lucked out not ending up with this setting style.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Good luck to you, cygnet. I'm so sorry you went through this, and I honestly do not understand why David won't unset the diamond, especially given the questions that have come up over the last page or two about it being covered if they were going to re-work the setting and looking at insurance policies other jewelers have. I'm a sentimental, emotional person at heart and I totally understand the desire to put the stone in a drawer and forget about it for a little while, but hopefully from here you are able to find a respectful, helpful vendor that can make you something beautiful.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1363152022|3403653 said:
Rockdiamond said:

David,

I didn't even have to pay my vendor. I dropped off my diamond, and that was deposit enough for her to do the job. And yes, she insured it for me while she set it. I was about to buy Jeweler's Mutual for my stone, but she insisted it was unnecessary since she was going to insure it as well. She said I could insure it up to a million bucks, if I wanted to, but I had her insure it for the value I purchased my stone at.

This was with SN Queens, who insured it purely for the good of the customer. They are not a Pricescope vendor that needed to be backed into a corner in a thread in order to do the right thing. Please, for the love of God, just do the right thing. She does not need to be spending MORE money on shipping it back to you and having another vendor unset the stone… IF THAT'S WHAT SHE CHOOSES. But honestly, in my own opinion, if I were her, I wouldn't want you to touch the diamond again JUST SO IT WON'T HAVE TO BE MAILED FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME. But, that should be HER choice.

So, since you cannot un-ship the ring, the only thing I see as acceptable for you to fix the situation as much as you can is to:
A) Pay the shipping label for the ring to be shipped back to you, unset the stone, and ship it back to her to any address she chooses, be it her own, and appraiser's, or another vendor's. Refund her within 36-48 hours.
or
B) If she chooses to unset it herself, reimburse her for the unset fee. If Cygnet feels uncomfortable mailing the whole ring back to you for fear of the ring being lost in transit, she should be able to have the choice to have it unset elsewhere. BUT YOU SHOULD BE PAYING FOR THAT UNSET FEE, AS IT IS YOUR FAULT SHE HAS THE RING ANYWAY, since she has clearly stated to you that she did not want you to ship it to her. You should NOT have shipped it to her when she did not want you to!

And for a personal note, this whole situation has made me have zero faith in a vendor just because they're a Pricescope vendor. I had so much faith in dealing with Pricescope vendors because I felt that, if Pricescope and Pricescopers back them, they MUST be trustworthy and would bend over backwards with Nordstrom-esque customer service to serve me. Luckily, the vendor I did go with did not cause me such troubles and heartache. But I will no longer be so trusting. And I don't think I will ever feel comfortable with using bank wire or check again. This sucks, but Cygnet's experience should be a warning to us all to never trust a vendor 100%, to keep all communication in writing by emails, and to use credit cards for an extra layer of protection at the expense of losing a wire discount.

Madelise, if you take a look at the list of PS vendors (Resources, Featured Sponsor), you may note that Diamonds by Lauren is no longer a PS vendor. Thankfully, though, there are trustworthy non-PS vendors who make settings such as Victor Canera. He has proven to be great to work with and to produce outstanding settings. I hope your ring turns out perfectly and that we can add SN Queens to our list of trustworthy vendors. We do have to rely a lot on recommendations on this forum, and I have learned about vendors I would never recommend, also, due to their behavior on the forum as well as questionable business practices. I did not like it that David did not send a potential diamond directly to a PSer to look at recently but instead insisted on setting it in her chosen setting before letting her see the stone (supposedly with no obligation). Even Dreamer questioned that as being psychologically manipulative and I totally agreed. This situation seals the deal for me as far as Diamonds by Lauren goes.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Further...I want to know WHY DBL agreed to work on this project in the first place when it's kind of known around here that their policy is to NOT work on stones they didn't sell? He's refused to work on some PSers stones that were sold to them from other vendors, why make the exception for this project? Just because you wanted to see an Octavia in person?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
justginger|1363151325|3403643 said:
Since David queried how other vendors handle outside stones, I thought I would relay LM's policy when he did my ring in 2009. At that time his insurance covered my stone for the whole period it was in the jeweler's possession, including the FedExing period. Additionally, when it had to be returned to LM for immediate repair (loose center stone), it went back under his insurance when I dropped it at FedEx and remained under his cover until I signed for it again.

+1. But I don't agree with the part about using your own insurance as a resolution. Cygnet and her fiance have invested enough time and money in this and I don't think it's fair to get insurance on something not made correctly and then have to claim on a brand new policy to get it made right. Why should she have to claim something brand new that isn't her fault at all? That's just illogical as hell. I think that's all on DBL, the vendor just needs to remove his head from his anus and do the right thing.

And I truly hope this stone is in pristine condition. Hopefully when DBL wises up and cleans the poop out of his ears the stone can be inspected by GOG for confirmation.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
"And for a personal note, this whole situation has made me have zero faith in a vendor just because they're a Pricescope vendor. I had so much faith in dealing with Pricescope vendors because I felt that, if Pricescope and Pricescopers back them, they MUST be trustworthy and would bend over backwards with Nordstrom-esque customer service to serve me. Luckily, the vendor I did go with did not cause me such troubles and heartache. But I will no longer be so trusting. And I don't think I will ever feel comfortable with using bank wire or check again. This sucks, but Cygnet's experience should be a warning to us all to never trust a vendor 100%, to keep all communication in writing by emails, and to use credit cards for an extra layer of protection at the expense of losing a wire discount."

Yes

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
This whole situation is so dissapointing.

David,
I purchased by Daussi ring from you not long ago, and I had no problem with our transaction (other than the fact that you wouldn't budge at all at the price).
I truly hope you will do the right thing, and refund this distraught lady. I'd hate to think that you're a shady dealer.
In the end, please realize that you are dealing with people that are your bread and butter. Great customer service goes a long way.

DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!!!!!!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1363178033|3403753 said:
madelise|1363152022|3403653 said:
Rockdiamond said:

David,

or

Madelise, if you take a look at the list of PS vendors (Resources, Featured Sponsor), you may note that Diamonds by Lauren is no longer a PS vendor. Thankfully, though, there are trustworthy non-PS vendors who make settings such as Victor Canera. He has proven to be great to work with and to produce outstanding settings. I hope your ring turns out perfectly and that we can add SN Queens to our list of trustworthy vendors. We do have to rely a lot on recommendations on this forum, and I have learned about vendors I would never recommend, also, due to their behavior on the forum as well as questionable business practices. I did not like it that David did not send a potential diamond directly to a PSer to look at recently but instead insisted on setting it in her chosen setting before letting her see the stone (supposedly with no obligation). Even Dreamer questioned that as being psychologically manipulative and I totally agreed. This situation seals the deal for me as far as Diamonds by Lauren goes.

Interesting. When I was trying to find the perfect item for my $1000 PS voucher, DBL was definitely a PS vendor. That was the case the last time I checked - maybe 4 weeks ago? This is a new development.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results