carat
color
clarity

Please give me your thoughts...

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Freke,
Clearly you've got some sort of dog in this fight. Egging on hostilities, which is a shame for Cygnet, she does not deserve it.
After emails became unproductive I asked cygnet to please call- as it is sometimes easier to resolve concerns when you can actually hear the person's voice,
Cygnet replied that she was uncomfortable speaking over the phone.
Since I had also spoken to her husband, I suggested she ask her husband to call to more easily resolve this

About our money back guarantee- it is described on our website, and explained why here. Furthermore, the odds of Cygnet getting ANOTHER money back guarantee is slim. None of the most oft recommended vendors here will give a money back guarantee on a custom made ring, according to their published policies.
Asking that the client complies with what is a very generous , and published policy seems reasonable to me,
Unsetting:
As mentioned earlier- if Cygnet gets insurance, we'll do the work.

morgin

Rough_Rock
Just from a photoshopping perspective, that imagine is pretty disingenuous as you can easily see the band on the left image is much bigger than on the right, meaning we are looking at these from different distances. It makes the right one appear much smaller than it is.

Edit: Also, this is one of my fears with going custom :( I'd be pretty annoyed if the end resut was so far from my inspiration images. I get a money back guarantee is rare, but you do have to make the item that the person asked for. How would it not have been better to look at this, go "yep, that's not really even close" and unmount and return diamond or offer to correct? Always amazes me when these disputes get so heated. There was such an easier solution about 10 steps ago.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1363142309|3403504 said:
ame|1363141293|3403495 said:
Cygnet:
I don't see why YOU should have to foot the bill for this at all, and further, I don't see why you should have to ding your insurance because of the Vendor's unwillingness to refund your money for a poorly done custom job. YOU didn't screw up here, and YOU weren't the one playing hard ball. You hired this person and paid him for a service under specific terms and conditions based on images provided of previous work indicating that he and his bench are capable of doing this particular piece well. He didn't deliver what you paid for. Therefore you are expected to receive a refund when you tell him you're not happy, without games, and without having to get a package sent to you that you explicitly told him you would not accept---that should not have been sent out in the first place. I don't understand why someone would behave so unprofessionally, especially who is widely recognized on here. You should not have to see it in person to know it's not what you wanted.

I also hope you don't let anyone bully you into doing anything you're not comfortable with.

Just to expand my own reasoning for my suggestion: For me, the cost of paying to unset the diamond myself is much less than the cost of agonizing and stressing about my ring for another few weeks. I think the chances the stone is damaged are so low that it is hardly worth considering. So for me its a cost-benefit analysis.

I also hope cygnet is able to reach a resolution she is comfortable with.

+1. I wouldn't mind spending a little extra money for my own peace of mind (having my stone safely back, and well on my way towards a refund). I also don't think it's unethical to have someone else unset it. How is it unethical? I just had a bezel sawed open to take out a chipped stone (though I knew it was chipped before hand). There was no problem. It was easy.

I'm just chiming in because I'd hate Cygnet to get even more worked up, and have this drag on for much longer, and have the diamond going through the mail again and again...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1363143174|3403529 said:
Hi Freke,
Clearly you've got some sort of dog in this fight. Egging on hostilities, which is a shame for Cygnet, she does not deserve it.
After emails became unproductive I asked cygnet to please call- as it is sometimes easier to resolve concerns when you can actually hear the person's voice,
Since I had also spoken to her husband, I suggested she ask her husband to call to more easily resolve this

About our money back guarantee- it is described on our website, and explained why here. Furthermore, the odds of Cygnet getting ANOTHER money back guarantee is slim. None of the most oft recommended vendors here will give a money back guarantee on a custom made ring, according to their published policies.
Asking that the client complies with what is a very generous , and published policy seems reasonable to me,
Unsetting:
No, I've just been trying to help a friend wade through her tribulations with you, and your ever changing policies.

"Since I had also spoken to her husband, I suggested she ask her husband to call to more easily resolve this"

Why did you think her "husband" could more easily resolve it?

I'm glad that you plan to honor your money back policy, I expect that Cygnet will be reimbursed for shipping the empty setting back to you as well as the unsetting fee from another bench.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1363143559|3403541 said:
Hi Freke,

Unsetting:
No, I've just been trying to help a friend wade through her tribulations with you, and your ever changing policies.

"Since I had also spoken to her husband, I suggested she ask her husband to call to more easily resolve this"

I'm glad that you plan to honor your money back policy, I expect that Cygnet will be reimbursed for shipping the empty setting back to you as well as the unsetting fee from another bench.

I don't agree with the comment (to ask her husband to call) - but I think the answer is obvious from years of reading this forum. Women can be much more emotional about their rings vs the men who buy it for them.

And before I get flamed - y'all know what I mean by "buy it for them"...just talking about the ering process and men in general!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1363143660|3403542 said:
Hi Freke,

Unsetting:

I don't agree with the comment (to ask her husband to call) - but I think the answer is obvious from years of reading this forum. Women can be much more emotional about their rings vs the men who buy it for them.
Sure, TGal, but does that inspire any confidence in you? How do you think Cygnet felt to hear that? How would you react to having someone you've paid a lot of money to, ask to speak with your "husband" because you were not complying with what he wanted?

If my (very feminist) husband heard anyone say anything like that to me, his head would have exploded, and they would have gotten a piece of anatomy doubled. If I hadn't administered that myself before he got around to it.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Hi Freke,
Cygnet replied that she was uncomfortable speaking over the phone.Since I had also spoken to her husband, I suggested she ask her husband to call to more easily resolve this

Unsetting:

I'm glad that you plan to honor your money back policy, I expect that Cygnet will be reimbursed for shipping the empty setting back to you

And before I get flamed - y'all know what I mean by "buy it for them"...just talking about the ering process and men in general!

David explained why he again asked to speak with the husband. Cygnet had told him she was uncomfortable speaking on the phone.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
GemFever|1363143491|3403538 said:
Dreamer_D|1363142309|3403504 said:
ame|1363141293|3403495 said:
Cygnet:
I don't see why YOU should have to foot the bill for this at all, and further, I don't see why you should have to ding your insurance because of the Vendor's unwillingness to refund your money for a poorly done custom job. YOU didn't screw up here, and YOU weren't the one playing hard ball. You hired this person and paid him for a service under specific terms and conditions based on images provided of previous work indicating that he and his bench are capable of doing this particular piece well. He didn't deliver what you paid for. Therefore you are expected to receive a refund when you tell him you're not happy, without games, and without having to get a package sent to you that you explicitly told him you would not accept---that should not have been sent out in the first place. I don't understand why someone would behave so unprofessionally, especially who is widely recognized on here. You should not have to see it in person to know it's not what you wanted.

I also hope you don't let anyone bully you into doing anything you're not comfortable with.

Just to expand my own reasoning for my suggestion: For me, the cost of paying to unset the diamond myself is much less than the cost of agonizing and stressing about my ring for another few weeks. I think the chances the stone is damaged are so low that it is hardly worth considering. So for me its a cost-benefit analysis.

I also hope cygnet is able to reach a resolution she is comfortable with.

+1. I wouldn't mind spending a little extra money for my own peace of mind (having my stone safely back, and well on my way towards a refund). I also don't think it's unethical to have someone else unset it. How is it unethical? I just had a bezel sawed open to take out a chipped stone (though I knew it was chipped before hand). There was no problem. It was easy.

I'm just chiming in because I'd hate Cygnet to get even more worked up, and have this drag on for much longer, and have the diamond going through the mail again and again...

It'a not unethical to pay another jeweler to unset it. What's unethical is to stick Perfect Circle/Jeweler's Mutual with the bill for a damaged stone if indeed the stone was damaged by DBL during setting. The damage would be discovered by the second jeweler and Perfect Circle/JM or the second jeweler's insurance company would be stuck paying for damage done by DBL. I realize that we're all speculating, and that the diamond is probably okay. But it bugs me that DBL is not assuming the risk to unset the stone when they clearly assumed the risk to set the stone.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I HATE how emotional women get. My husband never allows me to buy jewelry or other big purchases by myself. My boobs are always getting in the way, and what with my period and all... I just can't keep a straight thought!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And on a more general note ... if the vendor with whom I am having my issues had asked to speak to my presumably more rational male counterpart, flames on the side of my face would have ignited everything within a five block radius.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lula|1363144203|3403546 said:
I realize that we're all speculating, and that the diamond is probably okay. But it bugs me that DBL is not assuming the risk to unset the stone when they clearly assumed the risk to set the stone.

I have to agree there. I still think the stone is fine, but... why can't DBL just unset it, after Cygnet sees and returns it as their refund policy requires? I don't get that part. RockDiamond said Cygnet would have to get her own insurance for that? Why?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
missydebby|1363144220|3403547 said:
I HATE how emotional women get. My husband never allows me to buy jewelry or other big purchases by myself. My boobs are always getting in the way, and what with my period and all... I just can't keep a straight thought!

:lol:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
GemFever|1363144372|3403549 said:
I realize that we're all speculating, and that the diamond is probably okay. But it bugs me that DBL is not assuming the risk to unset the stone when they clearly assumed the risk to set the stone.

I have to agree there. I still think the stone is fine, but... why can't DBL just unset it, after Cygnet sees and returns it as their refund policy requires? I don't get that part. RockDiamond said Cygnet would have to get her own insurance for that? Why?

THIS I really dont understand... i would love to hear why

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1363144167|3403545 said:
Hi Freke,
Cygnet replied that she was uncomfortable speaking over the phone.Since I had also spoken to her husband, I suggested she ask her husband to call to more easily resolve this

Unsetting:

I'm glad that you plan to honor your money back policy, I expect that Cygnet will be reimbursed for shipping the empty setting back to you

David explained why he again asked to speak with the husband. Cygnet had told him she was uncomfortable speaking on the phone.
Yes, she was uncomfortable because he was saying something different on the phone vs. what he would actually email to her.

You'll notice that I chose my wording carefully. "Why did you think her "husband" could more easily resolve it?"

I don't talk about email vs phone AT ALL. And David can speak for himself.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

See...and assuming that the women knew David made that comment....I can see why tempers have exploded and the hunt was on. :cheeky:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Post of the evening missydebby :lol: :lol: :lol:

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I have to de-lurk for this. So much for scanning for engraving vendors!

:-o

Be that as it may, TGal, that doesn't mean it's acceptable to suggest it, because that smacks of "Step aside, lil' lady, let us menfolk take care of business!" Which is just hugely disrespectful, not to mention that he is not her husband, because thanks to DBL's delays on the ring, he hasn't even been able to propose yet.

If I was trying to nail down refund details in writing so a vendor could not renege on it, trying to get my husband on the phone where it would need to be recorded (to protect myself)-- my head would explode. Wanting things in writing is not emotional, so his request just smacks of either being shady, which I would prefer to think DBL is not trying to be, or just plain sexist and disrespectful.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: :lol: :lol: missydebby!!!

David, this is not Cygnet's fault and it isn't Freke's fault. You could have avoided this entire thing by doing the right thing when she saw that the ring was not what she ordered and asked for it NOT to be sent to her. Stop casting blame on everyone else and take responsibility. It is a little late for an apology, but that is what you should have done before it even came to this forum. An apology and a prompt refund and return of her diamond. That is absurd that you can insure her stone during setting but you won't in order to remove it???!!! :nono:

kalima

Rough_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond said:
double_bezels.jpg
Hi Everyone,

The liability issue: Given that our client has expressed such lack of faith, we are not inclined to do further work on the ring.

I must admit I have not read everything nor do I know of any "secret groups" discussing this as I'm certainly not a part of them. I am curious about if you care about how bad this seems to look from the point of view of a casual observer who doesn't know either party.

Please clarify if these are accurate statements:

You refuse to unset the diamond and return it to the customer. You expect them to unset the diamond and send it back to you so that you can avoid any liability if the diamond is/was damaged during setting and setting removal?

(From a consumer perspective I see no way how you could possibly comprehensively inspect the diamond or the girdle now that it is covered by a double bezel). I also could envision the messy fight if the diamond is/was damaged and a third party is asked to unset the diamond.

The customer has already stated unequivocally and publicly that they will not be satisfied with the work or the way you have handled the transaction yet you are following your policy and delaying the refund (indefinitely?) and paying two way shipping on the off chance they will be happy with the ring once they see it.

I see no possible way the customer could unset the diamond and return the setting while still satisfying this line in your policy "We cannot accept items for return that have been altered or damaged." The bezel will have to be damaged to remove the diamond.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Galateia|1363144921|3403561 said:

Be that as it may, TGal, that doesn't mean it's acceptable to suggest it, because that smacks of "Step aside, lil' lady, let us menfolk take care of business!" Which is just hugely disrespectful, not to mention that he is not her husband, because thanks to DBL's delays on the ring, he hasn't even been able to propose yet.

If I was trying to nail down refund details in writing so a vendor could not renege on it, trying to get my husband on the phone where it would need to be recorded (to protect myself)-- my head would explode. Wanting things in writing is not emotional, so his request just smacks of either being shady, which I would prefer to think DBL is not trying to be, or just plain sexist and disrespectful.

OR it could be "I am not dealing with an emotional person, as it's not getting us anywhere. I've spoken to your husband, so I'd like to talk to him now to get a resolution please."

I only say this because my husband is the more emotional of the two of us and he never gets anywhere when it comes to resolutions. :tongue:

But I agree...if someone said that to me, emotional or not, I'd be like, Now listen here, mister (or missy!)

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1363144564|3403553 said:
Hi Freke,

Unsetting:

Yes, she was uncomfortable because he was saying something different on the phone vs. what he would actually email to her.

You'll notice that I chose my wording carefully. "Why did you think her "husband" could more easily resolve it?"

How ironic FC that you should say this to me, considering this happened to Cygnet, yet here you are.

You highlighted the above, yet left out the sentences right above it. Took it out of context. David thought it was easier to talk on the phone rather than through email. Cygnet conveyed she was uncomfortable doing so. So since David had already talked with the husband on the phone, he suggested doing so again. No where did he imply the husband could resovle it better than she could because he is a man and she is just a woman. Email was not getting it done so he thought a phone call might.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
missydebby|1363144480|3403551 said:

I'd be very interested ( honestly) to know the policies of your ( or anyone's) favorite bench on working on stones they did not sell.
How many provide insurance?
DS No one, other than I, on this forum has seen this ring, therefore they can't accurately say the ring does not match the order. It does. Are details different, yes of course- the stone is a different shape than the ones on the site. It's clearly unreasonable to look at those photos, and declare the ring looks "nothing" like the ring ordered.
But of course I'm trying to push back women's rights 100 years trying to speak on the phone to a client to resolve an issue.

Freke, and others, seemingly have motives far beyond "helping a friend" they've never even met.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kalima|1363145191|3403564 said:
Rockdiamond said:
double_bezels.jpg
Hi Everyone,

The liability issue: Given that our client has expressed such lack of faith, we are not inclined to do further work on the ring.

I must admit I have not read everything nor do I know of any "secret groups" discussing this as I'm certainly not a part of them. I am curious about if you care about how bad this seems to look from the point of view of a casual observer who doesn't know either party.

You refuse to unset the diamond and return it to the customer. You expect them to unset the diamond and send it back to you so that you can avoid any liability if the diamond is/was damaged during setting and setting removal?

(From a consumer perspective I see no way how you could possibly comprehensively inspect the diamond or the girdle now that it is covered by a double bezel). I also could envision the messy fight if the diamond is/was damaged and a third party is asked to unset the diamond.

The customer has already stated unequivocally and publicly that they will not be satisfied with the work or the way you have handled the transaction yet you are following your policy and delaying the refund (indefinitely?) and paying two way shipping on the off chance they will be happy with the ring once they see it.

I see no possible way the customer could unset the diamond and return the setting while still satisfying this line in your policy "We cannot accept items for return that have been altered or damaged." The bezel will have to be damaged to remove the diamond.
Hi Kalima,
We already clarified this issue, in writing, that the ring can be returned after cutting out the diamond. We also extended the money back- we are honoring our policy, and requiring the client to also do the same.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1363145483|3403569 said:
FrekeChild|1363144564|3403553 said:
Hi Freke,

Unsetting:

How ironic FC that you should say this to me, considering this happened to Cygnet, yet here you are.

You highlighted the above, yet left out the sentences right above it. Took it out of context. David thought it was easier to talk on the phone rather than through email. Cygnet conveyed she was uncomfortable doing so. So since David had already talked with the husband on the phone, he suggested doing so again. No where did he imply the husband could resovle it better than she could. Email was not getting it done so he thought a phone call might.

Cygnet was just very, very smart to keep it ALL in writing.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1363145543|3403570 said:
missydebby|1363144480|3403551 said:

I'd be very interested ( honestly) to know the policies of your ( or anyone's) favorite bench on working on stones they did not sell.
How many provide insurance?
DS No one, other than I, on this forum has seen this ring, therefore they can't accurately say the ring does not match the order. It does. Are details different, yes of course- the stone is a different shape than the ones on the site. It's clearly unreasonable to look at those photos, and declare the ring looks "nothing" like the ring ordered.
But of course I'm trying to push back women's rights 100 years trying to speak on the phone to a client to resolve an issue.

Freke, and others, seemingly have motives far beyond "helping a friend" they've never even met.

But this doesn't really give the answer... why not unset? If the stone is undamaged, it should be no problem. What does the insurance policy of other vendors have to do with this? I'm not trying to attack, just trying to understand the logic here.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal|1363145335|3403566 said:

OR it could be "I am not dealing with an emotional person, as it's not getting us anywhere. I've spoken to your husband, so I'd like to talk to him now to get a resolution please."

I only say this because my husband is the more emotional of the two of us and he never gets anywhere when it comes to resolutions. :tongue:

But I agree...if someone said that to me, emotional or not, I'd be like, Now listen here, mister (or missy!)

Then why not ask for her "husband" to take over email correspondence? ;)) Freke already stated that cygnet's request for email over phone was motivated by 'changing policies' concerns and things being "different on the phone vs. what he would actually email to her"

If my husband was the one doing the ordering, and he requested all communications be done via email for documentation, and the vendor told him to put me on the phone instead because I know more about jewellery than my poor DH**, I would be immediately suspicious on why they didn't want the interaction documented.

** Edit: this would be just as legit, if not more so, as wanting to deal with someone who was less "emotional", and would seem like an otherwise reasonable request ... except for that teeny-tiny documentation problem. Do you see what I mean?

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal|1363145335|3403566 said:

I hear ya...

And if her boyfriend entered into the transaction, then fine. But like... if the only person doing the transaction is the customer and she writes the check, then asking for the bf at this point is insulting.

It like if I had a problem with the, oh I dunno... customer service at Best Buy... and instead of dealing with the customer (me) they asked to speak to my father

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1363145103|3403562 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: missydebby!!!

David, this is not Cygnet's fault and it isn't Freke's fault. You could have avoided this entire thing by doing the right thing when she saw that the ring was not what she ordered and asked for it NOT to be sent to her. Stop casting blame on everyone else and take responsibility. It is a little late for an apology, but that is what you should have done before it even came to this forum. An apology and a prompt refund and return of her diamond. That is absurd that you can insure her stone during setting but you won't in order to remove it???!!! :nono:

Delurking as well! This is my thought all along. Why put both of you through the aggravation? Is it about having the upper hand? I am missing something. The refund policy that you so generously offered her became disengenuous when you returned (because of policy that as the owner of DBL can so easily make an exception to)it to her (after she told you not to) view it in person, get it insured, have it unset, ship the ring back, and then she may get a full refund............ Why make this so complicated??? I know lots of time & money were involved but why cost even more time & money and especially the aggravation! This is a passionate purchase from the get go and I feel horrible that the experience has been tainted. I say birth the child and get on with it...........

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1363145737|3403572 said:
kalima|1363145191|3403564 said:
Rockdiamond said:
Hi Everyone,

Hi Kalima,
We already clarified this issue, in writing, that the ring can be returned after cutting out the diamond. We also extended the money back- we are honoring our policy, and requiring the client to also do the same.

It is interesting how a policy exception can be made so that the damaged setting can be returned (after stone removal at an extra cost to her), but an exception cannot be made for her to get a refund and her stone returned without the ring being physically sent to her.

kalima

Rough_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond said:

Hi Kalima,

But that isn't following your policy the the letter. You have already made two modifications to it.

If you were following your policy explicitly the customer should return the ring to you unmodified and you should unmount it and return their diamond. It is not your policy to accept returns where damage or modifications have occurred nor ask the customer to have a third party work on the setting.

In addition just to point out the obvious the ring in the top right has almost a triple bezel and it appears to be a 25% or more thicker bezel than the example rings. I don't know how any reasonable person could claim this is the same as the other examples. The inner bezel is also cushion shaped and does not keep the shape of an asscher, it rounds out the corners which is in contrast to the 3 other examples. These are not minor details, but then again I haven't seen the work order.

Do you wish to post the details of the work order to support your claim that the ring is acceptably close to what was ordered and should at least be viewed by the consumer before processing a refund?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results