shape
carat
color
clarity

Please give me your thoughts...

SB621

Ideal_Rock
missydebby|1363181722|3403783 said:
"And for a personal note, this whole situation has made me have zero faith in a vendor just because they're a Pricescope vendor. I had so much faith in dealing with Pricescope vendors because I felt that, if Pricescope and Pricescopers back them, they MUST be trustworthy and would bend over backwards with Nordstrom-esque customer service to serve me. Luckily, the vendor I did go with did not cause me such troubles and heartache. But I will no longer be so trusting. And I don't think I will ever feel comfortable with using bank wire or check again. This sucks, but Cygnet's experience should be a warning to us all to never trust a vendor 100%, to keep all communication in writing by emails, and to use credit cards for an extra layer of protection at the expense of losing a wire discount."

Yes

DBL isn't a PS vendor. They gave him the boot not to long ago.

OP- honesty all I have to say is I'm so sorry this is happening on your first custom piece and your Ering no less! Don't let this ruin your dream ring or your egagement! I'm really torn as what to type here. I feel if I have been my vocal about my experiences with DBL you wouldn't be having this problem. However, when you speak your mind negatively about a vendor (he was at the time) you can get eaten alive.

I will just say to follow Dreamer's advice. Really DBL is losing here because of this thread-and google search is a big can of whoop a$$ karma :bigsmile: So do whatever you have to do to get past this, have another vendor make you a beautiful bezel ring for your engagment and show off that GORGEOUS diamond! I hope this gets resolved quickly.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1363178033|3403753 said:
madelise|1363152022|3403653 said:
cushioncutnut|1363148667|3403611 said:
kalima|1363148420|3403607 said:
Rockdiamond said:
THIS I really dont understand... i would love to hear why

I'd be very interested ( honestly) to know the policies of your ( or anyone's) favorite bench on working on stones they did not sell.

How many provide insurance?

I beleive most have insurance while the customer's diamond is in their care. Is that the case with your policy?
What is the issue with your insurance and in what circumstance(s) are you not covered by your insurance?

Were you covered at the outset of accepting the diamond by your insurance?

I asked this of my local jeweler when they have my diamond/jewelry in their posession. He said right away that they are fully insured through his insurance.

David,

I didn't even have to pay my vendor. I dropped off my diamond, and that was deposit enough for her to do the job. And yes, she insured it for me while she set it. I was about to buy Jeweler's Mutual for my stone, but she insisted it was unnecessary since she was going to insure it as well. She said I could insure it up to a million bucks, if I wanted to, but I had her insure it for the value I purchased my stone at.

This was with SN Queens, who insured it purely for the good of the customer. They are not a Pricescope vendor that needed to be backed into a corner in a thread in order to do the right thing. Please, for the love of God, just do the right thing. She does not need to be spending MORE money on shipping it back to you and having another vendor unset the stone… IF THAT'S WHAT SHE CHOOSES. But honestly, in my own opinion, if I were her, I wouldn't want you to touch the diamond again JUST SO IT WON'T HAVE TO BE MAILED FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME. But, that should be HER choice.

So, since you cannot un-ship the ring, the only thing I see as acceptable for you to fix the situation as much as you can is to:
A) Pay the shipping label for the ring to be shipped back to you, unset the stone, and ship it back to her to any address she chooses, be it her own, and appraiser's, or another vendor's. Refund her within 36-48 hours.
or
B) If she chooses to unset it herself, reimburse her for the unset fee. If Cygnet feels uncomfortable mailing the whole ring back to you for fear of the ring being lost in transit, she should be able to have the choice to have it unset elsewhere. BUT YOU SHOULD BE PAYING FOR THAT UNSET FEE, AS IT IS YOUR FAULT SHE HAS THE RING ANYWAY, since she has clearly stated to you that she did not want you to ship it to her. You should NOT have shipped it to her when she did not want you to!

And for a personal note, this whole situation has made me have zero faith in a vendor just because they're a Pricescope vendor. I had so much faith in dealing with Pricescope vendors because I felt that, if Pricescope and Pricescopers back them, they MUST be trustworthy and would bend over backwards with Nordstrom-esque customer service to serve me. Luckily, the vendor I did go with did not cause me such troubles and heartache. But I will no longer be so trusting. And I don't think I will ever feel comfortable with using bank wire or check again. This sucks, but Cygnet's experience should be a warning to us all to never trust a vendor 100%, to keep all communication in writing by emails, and to use credit cards for an extra layer of protection at the expense of losing a wire discount.

Madelise, if you take a look at the list of PS vendors (Resources, Featured Sponsor), you may note that Diamonds by Lauren is no longer a PS vendor. Thankfully, though, there are trustworthy non-PS vendors who make settings such as Victor Canera. He has proven to be great to work with and to produce outstanding settings. I hope your ring turns out perfectly and that we can add SN Queens to our list of trustworthy vendors. We do have to rely a lot on recommendations on this forum, and I have learned about vendors I would never recommend, also, due to their behavior on the forum as well as questionable business practices. I did not like it that David did not send a potential diamond directly to a PSer to look at recently but instead insisted on setting it in her chosen setting before letting her see the stone (supposedly with no obligation). Even Dreamer questioned that as being psychologically manipulative and I totally agreed. This situation seals the deal for me as far as Diamonds by Lauren goes.

+1 what DS said--have been ogling earrings on his site--as a result of this, will not purchase from this vender--EVER.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, the more I think about this...

Could it be possible that DBL's bench simply doesn't feel like they have the skill to remove the diamond safely? This might simply be a matter of they are too embarrassed to admit they aren't confident in their abilities to cut out the diamond. We're assuming all sorts of things, and that could be the simple explanation.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1363188447|3403876 said:

Could it be possible that DBL's bench simply doesn't feel like they have the skill to remove the diamond safely? This might simply be a matter of they are too embarrassed to admit they aren't confident in their abilities to cut out the diamond. We're assuming all sorts of things, and that could be the simple explanation.

No way that is possible, Laila. If they are that unskilled, they shouldn't be setting stones, either! That is not it. Promise.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1363188929|3403886 said:

No way that is possible, Laila. If they are that unskilled, they shouldn't be setting stones, either! That is not it. Promise.

Okay, then it's just so odd!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1363189142|3403892 said:
diamondseeker2006|1363188929|3403886 said:

Okay, then it's just so odd!

I will agree with that! But it seems to me that the motive is to force her to take possession of the ring in hopes that she changes her mind and keeps it. I think that is true in some cases, but I wouldn't keep this ring under any circumstances if I had been treated this way.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure people have said this but it sounds to me like they have in there contract agreement that you have to see it before you can return it. To me seems like they think there pictures won't do it justice so you have to see it first before they will let your return it. Now I don't like that because it does seem manipulative but sounds like thems the rules.

Now I think rules should have been bent in this situation when both the owner and the customer know its poorly done. Sticking to your generic rule outline is a bad idea at this point. I work for an insurance company. I can tell you a job with more rules and regulations you would be hard pressed to find, but our company lives by the idea that if the rule isn't fitting the situation, try to bend.

I would set this in a sholdt semi bezel or a simple solitaire and let it go. No reason to stick it in a drawer for a few month. The sooner its set the sooner its done and over with. Also for what its worth lots of people get engaged without a ring at that time. No reason to hold of your engagement any longer.

Also I think a ritani bezel similar to mine would be stunning on this as well ad budget friendly. But I know I know get it out of that beast first, then look for another settong

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
makemepretty|1363172957|3403733 said:
ISecond, to my untrained eye-the inspiration ring looks identical(except for different shaped diamond) to the custom ring. Yes, the halo is big and bulky and clunky but that's the way it looks in the inspiration ring to me. I seriously see no difference. I don't think DBL would have been my choice based on the inspiration ring. I'm just going by the photo collage comparing the two side by side, I don't know where any other pictures are of this setting but in the side by side comparison- I see no difference.

Yeah... this is how I feel too. Sorry, but DBL's bezel work just isn't that crisp, sleek, or delicate. They ALL look like wonky spaceships. If you look at the magnified pics of the inspiration rings, they all look like that. Most of them are slightly twisted seeming too in the setting, where you are like "is it really set straight?" I've noticed this before. The moment I got to the post where they said the vendor was DBL it was like, ohhhhhh I can see how if they got a bezel ring that could be an issue. So I think this isn't an issue of breach of contract/failure to deliver expected items but a failure to have the correct expectations of the jeweler you are employing. Which is something we warn about all the time here.

With that said, since DBL's policy is to offer refunds on these things, why on earth does it have to be shipped out and back before returning it? And why has this escalated so far? That's just craziness, and is really making DBL look bad when there is an amazingly simple solution. (Although I guess the time for that is past. But really. Why ship it to her if she specifically says not to ship it to her? That seems so disrespectful. And I won't even touch the enraging "husband" comments.) I agree that if they want someone else to unset it, they should cover the cost of that.

And I too vote for a Sholdt semi-bezel for right-now wear.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1363193700|3403942 said:
makemepretty|1363172957|3403733 said:
ISecond, to my untrained eye-the inspiration ring looks identical(except for different shaped diamond) to the custom ring. Yes, the halo is big and bulky and clunky but that's the way it looks in the inspiration ring to me. I seriously see no difference. I don't think DBL would have been my choice based on the inspiration ring. I'm just going by the photo collage comparing the two side by side, I don't know where any other pictures are of this setting but in the side by side comparison- I see no difference.

Yeah... this is how I feel too. Sorry, but DBL's bezel work just isn't that crisp, sleek, or delicate. They ALL look like wonky spaceships. If you look at the magnified pics of the inspiration rings, they all look like that. Most of them are slightly twisted seeming too in the setting, where you are like "is it really set straight?" I've noticed this before. The moment I got to the post where they said the vendor was DBL it was like, ohhhhhh I can see how if they got a bezel ring that could be an issue. So I think this isn't an issue of breach of contract/failure to deliver expected items but a failure to have the correct expectations of the jeweler you are employing. Which is something we warn about all the time here.

With that said, since DBL's policy is to offer refunds on these things, why on earth does it have to be shipped out and back before returning it? And why has this escalated so far? That's just craziness, and is really making DBL look bad when there is an amazingly simple solution. (Although I guess the time for that is past. But really. Why ship it to her if she specifically says not to ship it to her? That seems so disrespectful. And I won't even touch the enraging "husband" comments.) I agree that if they want someone else to unset it, they should cover the cost of that.

And I too vote for a Sholdt semi-bezel for right-now wear.

I can see that the inside bezel is thicker than it should be. But I agree that bezel I wouldn't have ever picked to emphasize the Octavia lovely shape. Especially when I compare it to a crisp ritani bezel. Just looks chubby and lumpy.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi guys-- sorry I won't have a lot of time for now to get to your questions. I have to be at a job interview pretty soon. But I have it here now and pics were requested. I'm so happy to see my diamond again. Less than pleased with the setting. I will be sending the setting back to David as I am even less satisfied with the real thing than with the photos.

Sorry about the crummy phone pics. The one with flash pretty clearly illustrates what I see every time I look at the ring. As I'm typing and moving my hand about, all I can see is this HUGE LINE OF UNPOLISHED METAL that completely doesn't gel with the rest of the ring. It's incredibly distracting and makes it look even worse. There are also gouges in the metal in every corner of the trench and those are extremely noticeable in real life, more so than they were in the pictures.

imag1858.jpg
imag1855.jpg
imag1853.jpg
imag1851.jpg

Okay, have fun, be nice, etc. I'll be back later today after I have hopefully landed myself a new job.

p.s. to those who criticized the original bezel-- yes it wasn't perfect, but I was assured by David that if I chose the uber bench, those issues would be corrected. I paid a premium for that and the promised result was not delivered.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
:-o

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh that was the uber bench too!! :blackeye:

I'm sorry sweetie! Good luck with the job!!!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Hi cygnet! I looked through your previous threads and I see you're located in Seattle. Me too! I strongly suggest you stop by the Sholdt showroom in Seattle and take a look at their settings. The people there are really nice and easy to deal with. I'm sure they can make you a setting in unplated WG.

Edit: I'm sure they can get your diamond out of the setting too. They unmounted my diamond in about 25 seconds (it was not bezel set though).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I can see why you don't love it. But I gotta say...from your pics, the lines on that ring are much sharper than the pics you received (meaning, I can clearly see an octagonal outline on the bezels. And it definitely looks like two bezels.)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to send you big hugs!

If I were you I'd ship it right to BGD-they were the ones (well WF but then Brian was there still) Laurenthepartiers bezel asscher ring and another one identical to it. They can unset the stone without damage-ship the setting back to DBL and make you a new ring with much crisper bezels that will flatter that stunning stone.

HUGS!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with the job interview!!!!

Glad you are one step closer to freeing Octavia!!!!!

We need bumper stickers! :bigsmile:

FREE OCTAVIA!!!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:errrr: :-o That bezel totally overtakes that gorgeous diamond.............. If it wasn't love at first site in a picture, it is usually not much better in person. I am so sorry that you had to go through all the aggravation but I am glad it is safely in your posession. Good luck in your job interview! I hope you nail it!!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
cygnet|1363194928|3403959 said:
Hi guys-- sorry I won't have a lot of time for now to get to your questions. I have to be at a job interview pretty soon. But I have it here now and pics were requested. I'm so happy to see my diamond again. Less than pleased with the setting. I will be sending the setting back to David as I am even less satisfied with the real thing than with the photos.

Sorry about the crummy phone pics. The one with flash pretty clearly illustrates what I see every time I look at the ring. As I'm typing and moving my hand about, all I can see is this HUGE LINE OF UNPOLISHED METAL that completely doesn't gel with the rest of the ring. It's incredibly distracting and makes it look even worse. There are also gouges in the metal in every corner of the trench and those are extremely noticeable in real life, more so than they were in the pictures.

imag1858.jpg
imag1855.jpg
imag1853.jpg
imag1851.jpg

Okay, have fun, be nice, etc. I'll be back later today after I have hopefully landed myself a new job.

p.s. to those who criticized the original bezel-- yes it wasn't perfect, but I was assured by David that if I chose the uber bench, those issues would be corrected. I paid a premium for that and the promised result was not delivered.

Ok, I've been just lurking on this thread because i didn't want to say anything without seeing the product. I have to say, it looks terrible. I'm sorry you've had this experience! I absolutely can't stand how bulky it looks and that unpolished middle really really annoys me. I hope you can get this resolved soon. I'm glad you have your stone back! I know how hard it is without it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. Just...no. NO. That is not acceptable workmanship, and I don't know why on earth he would think it would look better to you in person. I still think he should do the unmounting, but if you go with someone else, I'd suggest GOG, simply bec they can film the unmounting and inspect the stone and KNOW for sure if it was damaged during setting.

Huge hugs to you.

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
That Octavia :love: :love: :love:. That bezel...I agree with TravellingGal seems much crisper in your photos than the close ups you were sent. However.. my eyes keep on wanting to cut out the outer bezel and the trench leaving the inside one..it's driving me nuts! :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: .

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That weird unpolished crevice is SO WEIRD. Usually things look better in peson but this looks worse in your pics than in his. Ugh yes send it back.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's horrible!! So sorry, cygnet. ;(

That said, I hope you don't take offense, but I really don't think a bezel is a great idea with this stone, period, no matter who does it. That Octavia is such an amazing cut that I think it deserves to shine and be unbezeled so you can really see the edge to edge light play.

ETA: Good luck with the job interview!!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
distracts|1363196952|3403998 said:
That weird unpolished crevice is SO WEIRD. Usually things look better in peson but this looks worse in your pics than in his. Ugh yes send it back.

It looks like it's waiting to become one of those Primak-style baguette halos. Not acceptable workmanship, IMO.

LetItShine

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry that what was supposed to be a joyful and exciting experience has turned into such heartache. From the photos, your ring was definately a botched job. Magnified images or not, women look VERY closely at their wedding rings. It wouldn't take a magnified image for you to realize that this ring ISN'T a quality piece.

I insured my diamond through JM during the setting process because I bought it elsewhere. However, the diamond here should be unset in the same manner it was set. If DBL insured it during the setting process, they should insure AGAIN to unset it. It seems they were willing to do it for the sake of the sale and are now unwilling to do it because of the loss.

I hope they do the right thing! Unfortunately, it seems ego might dictate otherwise. Hopefully you receive a refund soon and are able to quickly move on and enjoy this time.

DBL...what a costly mistake...I recommend doing what you possibly can to rectify the situation.

ETA...glad you have your diamond back. Beautiful diamond! I agree, the setting is lacking! Send it back...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, seriously shoddy work. This is his "uber" bench? I shudder to think what the regular bench work looks like. And whether the edges are crisper in real life or not, the bezels are WAY TOO THICK and completely overshadow your gorgeous stone. And the bezel looks much, much thicker than the inspiration photos.

Not to mention how terrible it sounds like dealing with Diamonds By Lauren has been. Why David would force you to see it and get another jeweler to free your Octavia from the setting is beyond me. Whether it's in their return policy or not, he is the OWNER and can certainly make exceptions to his own rules.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, and I hope you can get a setting you love very soon, minus all the drama of this experience.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck on your job interview!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1363195723|3403973 said:
Yeah, I can see why you don't love it. But I gotta say...from your pics, the lines on that ring are much sharper than the pics you received (meaning, I can clearly see an octagonal outline on the bezels. And it definitely looks like two bezels.)

I agree with you that the edge of the bezel touching the diamond looks much straighter and crisp in cygnet's photos and that there are two distinct bezels. It's the disgusting trough of unpolished metal between the two that is utterly offensive (I know I mentioned this further back but I feel like it's so terrible it merits mentioning again).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clairitek|1363203086|3404085 said:
TravelingGal|1363195723|3403973 said:

I agree with you that the edge of the bezel touching the diamond looks much straighter and crisp in cygnet's photos and that there are two distinct bezels. It's the disgusting trough of unpolished metal between the two that is utterly offensive (I know I mentioned this further back but I feel like it's so terrible it merits mentioning again).

OK, but go back and look at the original inspirations pieces. Don't they look...well...the same?

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond is beautiful. The setting looks like a spaceship with a moat.

(((big hugs)))

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1363204253|3404099 said:
OK, but go back and look at the original inspirations pieces. Don't they look...well...the same?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Not at all. The bezels in the inspiration rings follow the lines of the stone. They seem to flow and they dont have visible solder points. They have a liquid look - aka polish, I suppose - that's missing from cygnet's ring. And that's not even looking at the question of stone/metal proportions, which I am certain are very different.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results