color
clarity

Please give me your thoughts...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1363124341|3403167 said:
FrekeChild|1363123086|3403151 said:
The vendor forced her to pay by check, and he said that he insured the stone while it was being set.

You guys are all bringing up very good points and confirming my suspicions that this was all very abnormal behavior on his part.

I think "integrity" needs to be the word of the day.

I don't know what else to say at this point.

She is aware of the thread, but she isn't ready to "out" the vendor for various reasons.

ETA: Gypsy, the ring should be there tomorrow.

He forced her to pay by check???!!!! This gets worse by the minute. That would have been a red flag right there.

If she is reading this thread, I want to say that I think it is a grave mistake to receive the ring and do anything with it. It needs to go back where they can remove their faulty setting and return her diamond to her. I can't think of a reason not to out the vendor at this point. It can only go uphill from here because I think they'll be forced to do the right thing. I am worried that they are twisting her arm or something to keep her from naming them.

I would disagree - the vendor has made clear that he's finished with the situation. IF she refuses the package and it goes back to the vendor, is a signature required - or could it sit on a doorstep for a couple of days? If a signature is required and he refuses to sign, what then?

I'm wondering if FedEx or USPS could hold the package at a location - that way she could "get" it and ship it off to the appraiser without ever leaving the location, and without "taking possession" of it for more than just a few minutes... Since it'd be such a short time it could even be videotaped start to finish.

What I think of this situation:
-It's a f'n disaster
-This whole experience has obviously been disappointing, and that it's a PS vendor is baffling
-They need to just send her the damn refund. Now.

This whole thing is completely, totally absurd.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many vendors give a little discount if you pay by cash instead of CC. But it is always the customer's choice about how they prefer to pay and the vendor shouldn't even comment on that. So I guess we'd have to know more about what the vendor's role in that was.

wbarnwell

Shiny_Rock
There isn't any private messaging feature on this forum, is there?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
wbarnwell|1363125773|3403185 said:

Nope. Sorry.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1363125555|3403181 said:
The vendor forced her to pay by check, and he said that he insured the stone while it was being set.

You guys are all bringing up very good points and confirming my suspicions that this was all very abnormal behavior on his part.

She is aware of the thread, but she isn't ready to "out" the vendor for various reasons.

He forced her to pay by check???!!!! This gets worse by the minute. That would have been a red flag right there.

If she is reading this thread, I want to say that I think it is a grave mistake to receive the ring and do anything with it. It needs to go back where they can remove their faulty setting and return her diamond to her. I can't think of a reason not to out the vendor at this point. It can only go uphill from here because I think they'll be forced to do the right thing. I am worried that they are twisting her arm or something to keep her from naming them.

I would disagree - the vendor has made clear that he's finished with the situation. IF she refuses the package and it goes back to the vendor, is a signature required - or could it sit on a doorstep for a couple of days? If a signature is required and he refuses to sign, what then?

I'm wondering if FedEx or USPS could hold the package at a location - that way she could "get" it and ship it off to the appraiser without ever leaving the location, and without "taking possession" of it for more than just a few minutes... Since it'd be such a short time it could even be videotaped start to finish.

-It's a f'n disaster
-This whole experience has obviously been disappointing, and that it's a PS vendor is baffling
-They need to just send her the damn refund. ASAP.

She is letting him control her by receiving the package. She said she did not want the ring, it was a mess, and they should remove her diamond and refund her money ASAP. Period, end of story. She should NOT have to pay someone to remove HER diamond from their unacceptable setting and then have to send the faulty setting back!!!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

wbarnwell

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1363125820|3403187 said:
wbarnwell|1363125773|3403185 said:

Nope. Sorry.

I guess I understand why, with the potential for some serious spamming, but this is an instance where it would be extremely useful. Carrying on...

morgin

Rough_Rock
This is one of those times outing could actually resolve a situation. I wouldn't want the wrath of this place bearing down on me.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
wbarnwell|1363124976|3403176 said:

I guess I could understand someone paying by check, if they were working very closely to a budget, and trying to avoid transaction fees...I would really like to know who this vendor is

Freke...did you have any say/tips in this before she picked the vendor?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1363125837|3403188 said:
Yssie|1363125555|3403181 said:

-It's a f'n disaster
-They need to just send her the damn refund. ASAP.

She is letting him control her by receiving the package. She said she did not want the ring, it was a mess, and they should remove her diamond and refund her money ASAP. Period, end of story. She should NOT have to pay someone to remove HER diamond from their unacceptable setting and then have to send the faulty setting back!!!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Agreed!!
I actually edited - she shouldn't be getting the refund "as soon as possible" like I originally said, the only thing that should've been mailed is the diamond in an envelope along with a refund cheque!
But I worry about what will happen to the stone with everyone refusing the package, and she's a lot more invested in the stone than the vendor is :sick:

ETA: I also agree that receiving the package is letting the vendor win. But I'm concerned that fighting the good fight now, before she gets her refund, will make it that much more of an uphill battle to the prize - said refund!

ETA: honestly, I just can't believe any of this. I really can't. :(sad

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The vendor forced her to pay by check?

I can see a vendor saying:
This is the price. This is the price with a cash discount. Pick one.
Or even:
We don’t accept credit cards (a LONG time ago, when I was first getting quotes for my setting Leon only accepted wire transfers, no credit cards), all transactions require a deposit to be paid by wire transfer.

But forced? She could have just said no and gone with another vendor. I’m scratching my head about this. If a vendor forced me to do anything at the start of the project—there would be no project. I’d just take my business else where. More fish in the sea. I can't think of ONE custom setting design where I couldn't find another vendor to make the thing just as well.

Also, did she pay for this thing in WHOLE already? I gotta say, every vendor I’ve worked with has only required a deposit at the start of a project— with the remainder paid after I have pics of the complete product, they have my approval, and the item is ready to be shipped out. And really, it's not like I've had to be a pain about it. We agree on specs and pricing and timing. Someone asks about the deposit (me or them), the deposit is paid, and then when the thing is done there is an email with pics and a balance owed.

There is so much wrong here.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1363125837|3403188 said:

WORD.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wait, sorry if this was mentioned, but...is this is PS vendor, as in one that sponsors PS - or one that just is mentioned here (or participates?)

wbarnwell

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1363126418|3403202 said:
The vendor forced her to pay by check?

I can see a vendor saying:
This is the price. This is the price with a cash discount. Pick one.
Or even:
We don’t accept credit cards (a LONG time ago, when I was first getting quotes for my setting Leon only accepted wire transfers, no credit cards), all transactions require a deposit to be paid by wire transfer.

But forced? She could have just said no and gone with another vendor. I’m scratching my head about this. If a vendor forced me to do anything at the start of the project—there would be no project. I’d just take my business else where. More fish in the sea. I can't think of ONE custom setting design where I couldn't find another vendor to make the thing just as well.

Also, did she pay for this thing in WHOLE already? I gotta say, every vendor I’ve worked with has only required a deposit at the start of a project— with the remainder paid after I have pics of the complete product, they have my approval, and the item is ready to be shipped out. And really, it's not like I've had to be a pain about it. We agree on specs and pricing and timing. Someone asks about the deposit (me or them), the deposit is paid, and then when the thing is done there is an email with pics and a balance owed.

There is so much wrong here.

I was about to pay in full for something not yet completed. Now I am rethinking that decision. Also, I was told that the "custom setting" is non-refundable...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1363126217|3403196 said:
wbarnwell|1363124976|3403176 said:

I guess I could understand someone paying by check, if they were working very closely to a budget, and trying to avoid transaction fees...I would really like to know who this vendor is

Freke...did you have any say/tips in this before she picked the vendor?
No. I wish I had.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1363126303|3403197 said:
But I'm concerned that fighting the good fight now, before she gets her refund, will make it that much more of an uphill battle to the prize - said refund!

I don't agree.

Here's my 2 cents.

From the sounds of it this vendor has had the upper hand from the moment she agreed to pay by check, against her good judgment (that said, I have personally paid with wire transfer for all my custom projects and never had an issue that could not be resolved with the vendor). And it sounds like the vendor has continued to hold the upper hand. There has been no ‘check’ to his power because well, Freke’s friend either couldn’t or wouldn’t stand up to him or walk away. So now the thing is on its way to her, against her explicit instructions. He can refuse to take it back if SHE refuses. And she’s stuck with her stone in a setting she hates from what Freke relays.

Also, if he is like most of the jewelers on here. His insurance on the package is through his PRIVATE insurance. So he might HAVE to take the package back if she refuses it, else his insurance will get fussy.

What exactly is she thinking she is going to lose if she posts on here or refuses the package?

I see that she has everything to gain by posting the minute she gets the package. And frankly, if the vendor has been acting this way all along, posting here and having us act as a ‘check’ to this behavior might be the only way she actually GETS her refund. And frankly if it were me I WOULD refuse to accept the package. She probably has a tracking number, I’d call them and ask them how to refuse the package now.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, you know my venting is not directed at you! :))

Good question, TGal!

wbarnwell, custom settings are normally not refundable. But in this case, the ring did not meet the specifications asked for and the workmanship was not up to par, if I understood Freke correctly. Therefore, a refund is in order.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1363127208|3403211 said:
Wait, sorry if this was mentioned, but...is this is PS vendor, as in one that sponsors PS - or one that just is mentioned here (or participates?)
I cannot be as specific as I'd like to be, TGal, I'm sorry. I will say that they have been mentioned here on PS (not in this specific thread).

wbarnwell

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1363127546|3403219 said:
Yssie, you know my venting is not directed at you! :))

Good question, TGal!

wbarnwell, custom settings are normally not refundable. But in this case, the ring did not meet the specifications asked for and the workmanship was not up to par, if I understood Freke correctly. Therefore, a refund is in order.

Yes, I understand, and that was my understanding with my own purchase. Thanks for the clarification.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
missydebby|1363123070|3403150 said:
This might sound weird... but I can't wait to never give this vendor my business

Except there are two sides to every story, and we're not even hearing one side directly from the horse's mouth...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had not thought about his insurance, Gypsy. Do we know how that works? Does it just cover the diamond while in his care? Where does that stop? Upon her receipt?

wbarnwell

Shiny_Rock
What are the risks involved in removing a diamond from a bezel setting? Does it become more risky?

Is he just trying to avoid liability for the sole diamond by sending it with his setting (which I'm sure he has insured) but not the uninsured diamond? Would he have to re-insure the diamond to send it by itself?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
wbarnwell|1363127282|3403212 said:
I was about to pay in full for something not yet completed. Now I am rethinking that decision. Also, I was told that the "custom setting" is non-refundable...

Please start or bump a separate thread for any follow ups.

Custom settings are non-refundable AS LONG AS THEY MEET YOUR CONTRACTED FOR SPECS.

So make sure your contract (emails, whatever) is documented and states what you need (design, timing, metal, size, diamond color clarity and metal weight, etc). You can read what I have previously posted on the subject in this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vendors-and-customers-price-change-in-the-middle-of-custom.177184/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vendors-and-customers-price-change-in-the-middle-of-custom.177184/[/URL] paying special attention to this post:
Post by Gypsy » 30 Jun 2012 06:39
"With vendors, long distance especially, it's important to understand that your emails are part of your contract with them. So for me, I make sure my emails are very precise as to what I expect."

If what you receive does NOT meet your contract then it is a breach, and then you are due a re-work or a refund, and usually which you chose is up to you, though if the vendor states UPFRONT that a re-work is required for any nonconformies then you are bound by that unless you have specifically gotten them to agree otherwise.

For anything custom over 500 bucks I do not pay the total for anything up front. I just won't work for a vendor that requires it (and never have). I give a deposit up to 20% of the project or 500 whichever is greater usually. And then when it is complete and I have pictures, I'll pay the rest off.

And yes, bezels are risky for setting. For unsetting, well you have to cut them off the stone.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know what to tell her to do at this point.

She's obviously upset and no matter what, this ring is no longer mindclean in the slightest for her. The La Brea Tar Pits are more so.

Obviously the most important part is getting her diamond back and intact. It is absolutely irreplaceable.
Second most important thing would be to get a refund in full because it's shoddy workmanship and the ring looks nothing like what she's paid for.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1363127877|3403224 said:
I had not thought about his insurance, Gypsy. Do we know how that works? Does it just cover the diamond while in his care? Where does that stop? Upon her receipt?

He has insurance on the whole ring while it is being shipped to her and that is why I think it is a mistake to sign for it. There cannot be anyone who would think she should have to pay to have her diamond removed by a third party. That is nuts!!!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal|1363127732|3403222 said:
This might sound weird... but I can't wait to never give this vendor my business

Except there are two sides to every story, and we're not even hearing one side directly from the horse's mouth...

True dat. I am curious as to what the other side is

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1363127877|3403224 said:

When BGD or another vendor sends me things via Fed Ex (that is usually the preferred carrier), they do not buy insurance for their packages from Fed Ex, as I understand it. Their own insurance EXTENDS to all their packages provided they follow the instructions they have to follow (for BGD that's usually a small box in a medium box with both boxes having specific labeling and a few other instructions, for example).

So if BGD sent me a package, and I refused it, as long as it is in transit their insurance is liable. From what I understand. So it would be in their best interest to take the package BACK than to let it float out there on a shelf.

When BGD sends me a label to send things back to them, same thing goes. As long as I follow the instructions given to me for packaging, the package is insured by BGD's carrier the minute it is accepted and scanned by Fed Ex.

Now, some vendors, especially ones that do not do a lot of long distance business (IDJ) have not followed this practice when I have shopped with them. But all most all of the larger ones have.

wbarnwell

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the thorough response, Gypsy. I wasn't trying to hi-jack the thread.

Gypsy|1363128120|3403227 said:
wbarnwell|1363127282|3403212 said:
And yes, bezels are risky for setting. For unsetting, well you have to cut them off the stone.

It just sounds to me like he feels like there is a high probability of damaging the diamond. At this point, if you couldn't trust him to set it the way you wanted, would you trust him to remove it? Especially if the stone is irreplaceable?

His lack of communication is the one thing that is most confusing to me. If he has legitimate concerns, he should have communicated that toward her.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
missydebby|1363128363|3403230 said:

And I've been around PS long enough to smell when something isn't quite right....

And something isn't quite right here. Every one is too keen to take this vendor to the stake....

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
missydebby|1363128363|3403230 said:

Me too.

I am trying to be as general as possible at this point because I don't want to step on any toes or make any missteps in this icky icky process.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, wait wait wait. I'm confused here. Do we have pics of the ring? The friend has NOT seen the ring yet, correct?

Don't we always say around here to look at the darned thing and save judgment for real life viewing?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results