shape
carat
color
clarity

Please explain the logic of lousy cutting for more carats?

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Re: Please explain the logic of lousy cutting for more carat

This has gotten to be a very humorous post as Gene and many non-cutters know... every piece of rough is a little different than the brother or sister gem from the same mine as they are like us; individuals with their own personalities...

Gene is correct on the saturation deal as they(meaning the deep belly cutter ) keep the color in the gem by by keeping the pavilion fat thereby keeping the "saturation" in the gem. If you cut it with proper reflective light angles /facets you will lighten the tone; you too are also cutting away excess material that is what we call the bulge factor. Now you can precision cut the gem in a fashion like the acorn or step cut pavilion and retain some of that saturation due to holding the light in the gem and keeping the angles where they will bounce back and forth lower in the pavilion and not angled to send the light back up through the table... But you will not get the brilliance in the gem like you do when using steeper or reflective angle facets like in the brilliant cuts...

Okay stay with me group :) As you all know as a fact the larger the stone the more saturation of color in the gem; that is because the stone is bigger and less light can float around and exit the gem. So if we want to increase the color we will have to cut the angles where light will bounce around and not exit the table; if we want to lighten the gem we do the opposite and angle the facets to send the light out the table and brighten the gem...

If a gem is dark like a black C axis tourmaline there is very little you can do to eliminate the saturation on those ends. Thus you usually only get 90 degree ends on rectangle or square cuts; making it a nightmare to set as there is no place for a seat on a prong...

We most of the time want the best of both worlds if we can get it; brilliance and color ; I do not think you can get too much brilliance as if that were the case none of you would own a diamond??? But you can get too much color saturation and many of you will know some gems need to have some of that saturation removed; and some we would love to add to it...

Basically.... All gems are not created equal; and we as cutters both Eastern and Western should be doing our very best to bring out the very best in the gems we are cutting...

I think the majority of the consumer/cutter will always choose the gem that has the best color and life... We as cutters just really hate to see a wonderful gem that has all the things we hold dear in that particular gem mineral; hacked by someone that did not give to shakes of a donkey's tail about the craftsmanship and care needed to make the gem what it truly could have been.

If you want to know the plain truth... that is what ticks off us cutters is to see what something could have been IF treated with the optical respect that mineral should have been treated with...

If you love your gem whether it be precision or non-precision cut be happy with it as it has a personality just like you do; who gives a rat's rear if someone else does or does not like it; it was your money that bought it; not theirs... Enjoy what you have as we are just caretakers for them while we are here... :) LOL

And I know there is at least 2 of you that do not have one of my cuts ;-) LOL

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified Supreme Master gem Cutter # 96cge 42

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results