shape
carat
color
clarity

Photoshop experts needed for potential EC bezel

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Are your latest inspirational pictures just about the size of the melee/halo or the overall ring design?

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
It will look big! That’s another reason I really encourage you to go to Tiffany. Tell them you are in the market, they should find you one in a couple days
@Emeraldsaremyfavorite and @PintoBean I went to Tiffany's and all they had was a 1/2 carat EC halo.... but they said they would bring in a 3ct halo for me to see. I will upload photos later but the soleste halo was more "prongy" and I wasn't loving it. I then looked at another "soleste" halo and it was much more fluid... she said it was "bead set" but I believe that means more of a channel - milgrain type, no? It definitely looked more like a Victor Canera "neo French Pave" (more shallow cut so you only see the diamonds) - I preferred that. Although she was saying they were both the same but they looked totally diff to me.

So questions for you both:

1. How low can I make the basket if my stone is 5.11 deep

2. How many mm do you think the halo should be or what size malee should I use? I read that a dainty one is about 1.10?

3. Can I make my shank 1.5mm? I really want it dainty... Tiffanys was very delicate and I compared it to the Memoire Band which is 1mm width...which i would do in a second if they would agree to it. I'm sure they won't nor do I think they will agree to 1.5 It is currently to be 1.75mm

4. I really like the "round" band.. where the stones melt into the side of it. Adam thinks this is cheap looking.. I really like it. What do you think?

AGain, I realize it is a personal preference but I would like to ask someone who is passionate about jewelry and cares what the outcome is to be.

Thanks again.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Emeraldsaremyfavorite and @PintoBean I went to Tiffany's and all they had was a 1/2 carat EC halo.... but they said they would bring in a 3ct halo for me to see. I will upload photos later but the soleste halo was more "prongy" and I wasn't loving it. I then looked at another "soleste" halo and it was much more fluid... she said it was "bead set" but I believe that means more of a channel - milgrain type, no? It definitely looked more like a Victor Canera "neo French Pave" (more shallow cut so you only see the diamonds) - I preferred that. Although she was saying they were both the same but they looked totally diff to me.

So questions for you both:

1. How low can I make the basket if my stone is 5.11 deep

2. How many mm do you think the halo should be or what size malee should I use? I read that a dainty one is about 1.10?

3. Can I make my shank 1.5mm? I really want it dainty... Tiffanys was very delicate and I compared it to the Memoire Band which is 1mm width...which i would do in a second if they would agree to it. I'm sure they won't nor do I think they will agree to 1.5 It is currently to be 1.75mm

4. I really like the "round" band.. where the stones melt into the side of it. Adam thinks this is cheap looking.. I really like it. What do you think?

AGain, I realize it is a personal preference but I would like to ask someone who is passionate about jewelry and cares what the outcome is to be.

Thanks again.
Who is the vendor you're working with?
I honestly wouldn't go to 1.5mm, even if this was hand forged.

When it comes to how low it should go, maybe the best thing to do is hash it out with the designer first and then come back to us.

If you want pave, thinner shank and a design that incorporates a lower stone that is proportional, maybe you should seek out a vendor that has a handforged bench and better hand holding, design wise.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wish I could help you with all the nitty gritty details but I just don't have the knowledge to! I think a 1.5 or 1.75 will look dainty. Can't wait for you to see the Tiffany's then you can tweak what you really want. Do you have a picture of the rounded band?

My suggestion would be to go to all these websites and see what these "top notch" designers do for EC halos...Jean Dousset, Leon Mege, Victor Canera and Stephen Kirsch. That should give you a pretty good idea. I love Jean Dousset...everything! Have seen his designs in person, magnificent.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I believe he does rounded bands
22218192_10155781112329595_1924401063987755106_o.jpg

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I would also contact Maytal Hannah! Her handforged halos and pave work are incredibly delicate, and she is completely committed to making her customers 100% happy. I agree with the posts above - I think it would be most helpful for you to hash out your thoughts with the designer.

And as a side note I'm super excited to see the finished product -- your stone is simply stunning! I totally understand the need to get the setting exactly right.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
4A7BF00B-7D09-4620-8087-2CADAB633B7F.jpeg 6A956009-4B41-4776-A4B7-395117AF2AD6.jpeg 01EB96C3-25BD-4E22-95CB-71B0C855E979.jpeg A6F975B3-4EB1-4565-B728-9C325E3A42AF.jpeg FA000F9E-7614-4099-91D8-97A93329B4BF.png
I believe he does rounded bands
22218192_10155781112329595_1924401063987755106_o.jpg
Hi again! @Emeraldsaremyfavorite @PintoBean
I posted above my Tiffany outing. So - I am comparing the two “Soleste” halo’s for you to see. The split shank is the one I perceive to be more fluid looking w the pave. The EC is more dainty but you see the prongs easily. I also posted the memoir band (or is it metro) and I love that the best. Lol. Ignore my fat looking fingers. I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic and was in the ER pumped w steroids. Lovely. In any event - I also am posting the “round” shank/ring that I mentioned that I prefer.

Open to all thoughts.

PS I had requested my halo to be 1.4mm and the shank 1.75, as I was trying to mimic “Frankie’s” 3rd ring w VC. It is stunning! Hers looks so dainty and beautiful. However, I have seen smaller halos and then I worry that 1.4 will be too big. If anyone has seen any measurements in previous posts, lmk. I’m currently looking thru older posts for other examples.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Who is the vendor you're working with?
I honestly wouldn't go to 1.5mm, even if this was hand forged.

When it comes to how low it should go, maybe the best thing to do is hash it out with the designer first and then come back to us.

If you want pave, thinner shank and a design that incorporates a lower stone that is proportional, maybe you should seek out a vendor that has a handforged bench and better hand holding, design wise.
Adam is working w some bench press he said is phenomenal. I may be completely wrong but does CVB have their own or do they use someone that others can use? I ask bc he’s good friends w her and I got the feeling they use the same one? I may be completely off on this. Also- what size would you do for the shank? I originally said 1.75 (based on Frankie’s post) w her VC halo and all her measurements that she was kind enough to share for her 3ct stone. Her ring is gorgeous. I did not go w him nor Steven bc of cost. Again- I’m going More for the delicate factor and trying not to be a such a perfectionist about it (other than just trying to achieve the correct ratios to look both dainty and appropriate for my stone size). I want it to look pretty but if I wanted it to be really perfect and great, I would have gone w Victor. Ps. Adam said it is being hand forged.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Are your latest inspirational pictures just about the size of the melee/halo or the overall ring design?
Hi @EC8 - I actually do not know the answer to that. I could not find any information on the inspirational rings. I only know that I was thinking 1.4 for the halo and 1.75mm for the shank. (Again, based on fellow Pricescoper Frankie’s VC Ring). I’m open to any and all feedback.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
32E5753E-0ECC-4F4C-97E9-97DD09F7F83D.jpeg E88B536A-69B6-4CDF-B978-8FA29D6F9826.jpeg 2BF2B9C5-B6AF-4182-9D86-AF14B4336B42.jpeg 020EAF48-A96C-4C86-B9C1-997187009132.jpeg
I would also contact Maytal Hannah! Her handforged halos and pave work are incredibly delicate, and she is completely committed to making her customers 100% happy. I agree with the posts above - I think it would be most helpful for you to hash out your thoughts with the designer.

And as a side note I'm super excited to see the finished product -- your stone is simply stunning! I totally understand the need to get the setting exactly right.

@SandyK Awe- Thank you so much. I really appreciate your kind thoughts. I posted a photo of how the CAD looks (doesn’t it look smaller than the photo w the baguettes)? I also posted a dainty halo that I am envisioning for my setting).
W regard to Maytal- I would love to contact her (Ironically, I was googling her today for potential EC Halo photos) as I have read so many wonderful things on here about her. However, I do feel like I need to stick w Adam. He’s been so good to me and patient. He is adamant that his contact is one of the best. I think I need to have him either let me speak w them directly or at least have them give me some sort of feedback based on appropriate proportions and what to expect. I feel like I have micro managed this whole thing (and clearly I’m no expert) and I may be creating a potential disaster. Perhaps they can recommend and assure me that they know what to do and I need to sit back and merely request: dainty, shallow cut pave and set relatively low. Oh and to create a unique and somewhat Art Deco/-antique type of basket. Lol. I actually am at the point where I’d probably be very happy if they can show me a setting and plop my stone in there. I’m such a visual person and this whole CAD has gotten me boxpleated. Ugh. It looks so chunky, ornate, overpowering and small (I know. I did just say that). Whereas the baguette setting made it look so much larger. I just can’t wrap my head around it. I’ll post a photo of both.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much more were the SK and VC handforge quotes compared to OWD?

I think you need to ask Adam what the designers are recommending and then present that to us here and we discuss that.

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
32E5753E-0ECC-4F4C-97E9-97DD09F7F83D.jpeg E88B536A-69B6-4CDF-B978-8FA29D6F9826.jpeg 2BF2B9C5-B6AF-4182-9D86-AF14B4336B42.jpeg 020EAF48-A96C-4C86-B9C1-997187009132.jpeg

@SandyK Awe- Thank you so much. I really appreciate your kind thoughts. I posted a photo of how the CAD looks (doesn’t it look smaller than the photo w the baguettes)? I also posted a dainty halo that I am envisioning for my setting).
W regard to Maytal- I would love to contact her (Ironically, I was googling her today for potential EC Halo photos) as I have read so many wonderful things on here about her. However, I do feel like I need to stick w Adam. He’s been so good to me and patient. He is adamant that his contact is one of the best. I think I need to have him either let me speak w them directly or at least have them give me some sort of feedback based on appropriate proportions and what to expect. I feel like I have micro managed this whole thing (and clearly I’m no expert) and I may be creating a potential disaster. Perhaps they can recommend and assure me that they know what to do and I need to sit back and merely request: dainty, shallow cut pave and set relatively low. Oh and to create a unique and somewhat Art Deco/-antique type of basket. Lol. I actually am at the point where I’d probably be very happy if they can show me a setting and plop my stone in there. I’m such a visual person and this whole CAD has gotten me boxpleated. Ugh. It looks so chunky, ornate, overpowering and small (I know. I did just say that). Whereas the baguette setting made it look so much larger. I just can’t wrap my head around it. I’ll post a photo of both.

Hi- so I did exactly what you are doing with my EC halo, I went to tiffany’s on 5th ave and tried so many different halos including the EC halo. I tried on a 5 carat D VVS EC halo with a price tag of over 1MM, that was fun. But I needed to see proportions and size of melee and size of shank etc. what I am seeing in your Cad is that I think the basket is a bit bulky or boxey. I think the Tiffany one with the delicate look not only have smaller melee but also a bit angled basket so you don’t see like a box underneath if that makes sense. I will try to see if I still have the 5ct EC halo I tried on at Tiffany’s to show you. When I did my Ec halo, it was about 1.4mm melee and about 2mm in band. I had a rounded (rolled) band and the jeweler said it was handforged. It was not as amazing setting as VC’s work but it was a lot cheaper.

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
2E381349-4BAE-4166-BC1B-F05A9177F475.png 3489008E-47CF-4607-9E36-CC376B7224AF.png 62326675-9611-44B4-BEEE-D496A8505405.png 27F7FF09-F1C7-4B90-824C-89357149432E.png Sending you for reference the 5ct D VVS and 3ct H VVS I tried on a few years ago at tiffany’s. The 5 carat was a terrible cut despite the quality and price tag as I can see some windowing, nonetheless, it was so helpful for me to get a sense of the halo style. You can see the basket is angled and very simple. The 3ct H looks very warm compared to my current L even. I remember thinking it was so yellow.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
DDB595C8-1C20-4913-AEEA-8310FB53D141.jpeg Hi @diamondlove123
I would LOVE to see the Tiffany 5ct if you can find it! I am in CT but could hop in the city to go to the one there. I saw your halo from your prior Emerald Cut- that was also so beautiful. Yours was a 1.4 halo? I ask bc it looks bigger than Franki’s (I’ll post a pic of her 1.4 halo). Ps. Thanks so much for the help.

Hi- so I did exactly what you are doing with my EC halo, I went to tiffany’s on 5th ave and tried so many different halos including the EC halo. I tried on a 5 carat D VVS EC halo with a price tag of over 1MM, that was fun. But I needed to see proportions and size of melee and size of shank etc. what I am seeing in your Cad is that I think the basket is a bit bulky or boxey. I think the Tiffany one with the delicate look not only have smaller melee but also a bit angled basket so you don’t see like a box underneath if that makes sense. I will try to see if I still have the 5ct EC halo I tried on at Tiffany’s to show you. When I did my Ec halo, it was about 1.4mm melee and about 2mm in band. I had a rounded (rolled) band and the jeweler said it was handforged. It was not as amazing setting as VC’s work but it was a lot cheaper.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
How much more were the SK and VC handforge quotes compared to OWD?

I think you need to ask Adam what the designers are recommending and then present that to us here and we discuss that.
@PintoBean - I agree. VC and SK are
Basically the same and this was about $1500 less.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
2E381349-4BAE-4166-BC1B-F05A9177F475.png 3489008E-47CF-4607-9E36-CC376B7224AF.png 62326675-9611-44B4-BEEE-D496A8505405.png 27F7FF09-F1C7-4B90-824C-89357149432E.png Sending you for reference the 5ct D VVS and 3ct H VVS I tried on a few years ago at tiffany’s. The 5 carat was a terrible cut despite the quality and price tag as I can see some windowing, nonetheless, it was so helpful for me to get a sense of the halo style. You can see the basket is angled and very simple. The 3ct H looks very warm compared to my current L even. I remember thinking it was so yellow.
Thank you so much for that! It’s funny, the 3ct looks like an asscher at first glance. The 3ct halo also looks bigger than the 5ct one??? I hate to say this but I honestly am not loving the Tiffany halo. I feel like I can easily see the prongs/metal more easily. I know I could in the smaller EC halo I saw today. I also did ask for the halo to be more “tilted” so you do not see the basket right away and to also shave it down a bit. I don’t know. Where could I buy an already made dainty halo? Anywhere? I need to see what it will look like or just get a baguette side stone setting. Or Traps but I think I’m leaning more towards baguettes if push comes to shove, as it will showcase my stone more (I like the ratio) and don’t want to hide that.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock

The wax mold would throw me off too - I am definitely not an expert and I know the final product will be much more refined, but it does seem a little bulky.

On the halo, I definitely agree that it would be helpful if there were any settings they could put your EC in so you could get a sense of what looks best to you. And if they don't have anything that would fit your EC, maybe they could take pictures of your EC next to other halo rings with melee the size you are contemplating? That might help you visualize it, and maybe they could photoshop the melee around your EC? Not sure what all the options are for computer generated images of the final product.

I do think that you should be able to show them a picture of the halo you want and ask if they are able to recreate the look for you, and what melee size that would entail, etc.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
The wax mold would throw me off too - I am definitely not an expert and I know the final product will be much more refined, but it does seem a little bulky.

On the halo, I definitely agree that it would be helpful if there were any settings they could put your EC in so you could get a sense of what looks best to you. And if they don't have anything that would fit your EC, maybe they could take pictures of your EC next to other halo rings with melee the size you are contemplating? That might help you visualize it, and maybe they could photoshop the melee around your EC? Not sure what all the options are for computer generated images of the final product.

I do think that you should be able to show them a picture of the halo you want and ask if they are able to recreate the look for you, and what melee size that would entail, etc.
Thank you for that. I DEf will ask Adam to ask. He’s away now but I think I need a conference call or a direct conversation w them and photos on my vision etc. the malee next to my stone is a great idea!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know Victor recommends at least 1.8mm for a pave shank for durability. 1.8mm is very thin. Even 2mm is very thin!

I love a halo on a step cut! One thing I would strongly encourage is bringing your base in some so a band can sit a little closer to the e-ring. I can see some of the rings posted in this thread are like that, but your wax is not. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of one.

Here's Victor's 4 ct EC in an Emilya halo. I think it is so gorgeous!

VC4ctEC.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I found the video of that ring! If you watch long enough, you get a glimpse of the base (it's not exactly a doughnut since it is rectangular!). But you can see that the stems fold inward and the base is much smaller than the top/halo. This is a far better design, IMO.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I know Victor recommends at least 1.8mm for a pave shank for durability. 1.8mm is very thin. Even 2mm is very thin!

I love a halo on a step cut! One thing I would strongly encourage is bringing your base in some so a band can sit a little closer to the e-ring. I can see some of the rings posted in this thread are like that, but your wax is not. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of one.

Here's Victor's 4 ct EC in an Emilya halo. I think it is so gorgeous!

VC4ctEC.jpg [/QUOTE
Wow @diamondseeker2006!! Where did you find that! Do you hav want closer ones? Is it a Pricescope member? It is gorg. I do love his work. Ugh. I feel like I can’t turn back now. Do you know FB hako soze? My shank is to be 1.75. So almost 1.8. I DEf want as small as possible. And do you mean to “lower” the basket when you say “bring the base in”

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, look at the video I posted above your last post. I believe that is the ring pictured and if you watch to the end of the video, you can see the base. See my post above yours. You may need to refresh your page. My last post may not have been showing when you posted last.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
No, look at the video I posted above your last post. I believe that is the ring pictured and if you watch to the end of the video, you can see the base. See my post above yours. You may need to refresh your page. My last post may not have been showing when you posted last.
I’m so sorry that I didn’t see that before. I love it!!! I like that the halo is not plopped on the shank. I prefer a rounded basket on edges but I don’t care at this point - so as it looks like that! Hahah. Thank you SO much!!! I wish I knew the halo size or malee. Was that on his web page? Is it a PS Member? I love it!!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry that I didn’t see that before. I love it!!! I like that the halo is not plopped on the shank. I prefer a rounded basket on edges but I don’t care at this point - so as it looks like that! Hahah. Thank you SO much!!! I wish I knew the halo size or malee. Was that on his web page? Is it a PS Member? I love it!!!
Honestly, for $1,500 I would get the VC. I dont love all of VC's designs, but the Emilya is just tight and done right. There is no one I'd go to but VC for this look. If you are likely to seek out a reset again, then yeah save that $1,500.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
:loopy:QUOTE="PintoBean, post: 4537403, member: 52836"]Honestly, for $1,500 I would get the VC. I dont love all of VC's designs, but the Emilya is just tight and done right. There is no one I'd go to but VC for this look. If you are likely to seek out a reset again, then yeah save that $1,500.[/QUOTE]
I know. What’s another $1500 in the scheme of things. Lol. It does keep adding and adding. But I agree. It could be another double digit total out of pocket if it is not done right the first time.... ugh. I feel like Adam would be upset. Am I being weird??? He’s been so nice. Maybe I need to speak w his guy and see if they have any photos of their work. Also - what about SK? He’s close by and I do like his work.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't think it's a PS member. I do know she showed the ring on another forum, but it's either the same picture or not much different. The video shows the most. I first looked on Victor's site and couldn't find the ring at all!!! So then I googled it and found the video, thankfully! Even though I like antique designs, I don't think anything complements an emerald cut like a delicate pave halo!

There are certainly other fine pave ringmakers. I doubt you'd get to speak to the ringmaker, but maybe Adam can get a couple of photos of their pave work. I agree that since you've been working with him, I'd at least follow through to see if you should complete the project there.

(and I know people who will tell you they prefer Victor's pave over the other person you mentioned)

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the VC halo... go with him if you can! It’s a sure bet.

WhatAboutTheCats

Rough_Rock
@Emeraldcutlover Here are a couple of mock-ups with your diamond. I didn’t mess with shanks, side diamonds, etc., but I did one combo with a halo & double claw prongs just to see what that might look like. Let me know if you want to see any of these with a particular side diamond/shank (post straight-on pics of what you like please), and I’ll try to get to those next.

ETA: your diamond is the same size in all of these images; the halo and/or airline really changes the appearance of size and how much finger coverage it will give.

6F244D63-9EA4-4532-9571-147E7E67B6D1.jpeg

You are so good at this! *ADMIRATION* You’re just too good! Better than any CAD from any jeweler that I’ve ever received!

Amazing how the same center looks of a different size with each type of halo.

I’ve recently started to lust after emerald cuts after not having any interest in them for the longest time. I’ll definitely be lurking on this thread….

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock

@SandyK ps. What setting will you be doing for your new stone? What did you end up getting? Ps. I actually looked to buy your 4ct!!! But it sold so fast (lucky girl) It was beautiful but (I get why you sold it though and good for you for being true to yourself :).

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
DACF83C7-B15C-40D3-909D-6022875DA010.png DD25CF0E-3903-4AB7-BC70-79951E54F96D.jpeg 57EA08D5-0CFF-4ED7-A0B2-3AC1F5ACE504.jpeg 90CD67BE-A077-4794-9BBD-026F72835E32.jpeg
@SandyK ps. What setting will you be doing for your new stone? What did you end up getting? Ps. I actually looked to buy your 4ct!!! But it sold so fast (lucky girl) It was beautiful but (I get why you sold it though and good for you for being true to yourself :).

@diamondlove123 @SandyK @PintoBean @Matthews1127 @Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Hi all- so I went to Tiffany’s to try on a 3ct Halo for a a reference with regard to proportions, etc. They were able to bring in a 2.8 EC Halo. It was (ironically 6.88 X 9.04 (my old one was 7x9) and it looked quite substantial in person. I loved the daintiness of the halo and shank. I thought it was a bit “crusty” looking (for lack of better terms) in that it looks a little choppy w the metal. However, it made me feel more at peace with the halo concept and what to show Adam for proportions.

Again, interestingly enough, it looked much bigger and even daintier in person. Excuse my hands, as I clearly need lotion. PS @Emeraldsaremyfavorite I put the Metro Bands on to show you how it looks w the EC stone for a reference for yours. I also added a 2nd one to show you the “guard” look. I’m DEf having one made to look exactly like it. I love how dainty it is.

The “FIRST” Photo is how I want the diamonds to actually look (with the Tiffany Proportions). All thoughts welcome. Thank you again for all your help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results