shape
carat
color
clarity

Photoshop experts needed for potential EC bezel

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DACF83C7-B15C-40D3-909D-6022875DA010.png DD25CF0E-3903-4AB7-BC70-79951E54F96D.jpeg 57EA08D5-0CFF-4ED7-A0B2-3AC1F5ACE504.jpeg 90CD67BE-A077-4794-9BBD-026F72835E32.jpeg

@diamondlove123 @SandyK @PintoBean @Matthews1127 @Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Hi all- so I went to Tiffany’s to try on a 3ct Halo for a a reference with regard to proportions, etc. They were able to bring in a 2.8 EC Halo. It was (ironically 6.88 X 9.04 (my old one was 7x9) and it looked quite substantial in person. I loved the daintiness of the halo and shank. I thought it was a bit “crusty” looking (for lack of better terms) in that it looks a little choppy w the metal. However, it made me feel more at peace with the halo concept and what to show Adam for proportions.

Again, interestingly enough, it looked much bigger and even daintier in person. Excuse my hands, as I clearly need lotion. PS @Emeraldsaremyfavorite I put the Metro Bands on to show you how it looks w the EC stone for a reference for yours. I also added a 2nd one to show you the “guard” look. I’m DEf having one made to look exactly like it. I love how dainty it is.

The “FIRST” Photo is how I want the diamonds to actually look (with the Tiffany Proportions). All thoughts welcome. Thank you again for all your help.

I like the daintiness of that halo.
Is there ANY way you can open the gallery, to allow more light to hit the pavilion of the EC?
I just don’t want your EC to dim due to lack of light exposure.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I like the daintiness of that halo.
Is there ANY way you can open the gallery, to allow more light to hit the pavilion of the EC?
I just don’t want your EC to dim due to lack of light exposure.
Hi @Matthews1127 - do you mean open it up from my CAD or more from the Tiffany setting?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Matthews1127 - do you mean open it up from my CAD or more from the Tiffany setting?

The Tiffany setting.
I realize it’s rather open, already, but the EC in that photo tends to dim, at certain angles. I can’t help but think it’s contributed by the halo, to some degree....

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
DACF83C7-B15C-40D3-909D-6022875DA010.png DD25CF0E-3903-4AB7-BC70-79951E54F96D.jpeg 57EA08D5-0CFF-4ED7-A0B2-3AC1F5ACE504.jpeg 90CD67BE-A077-4794-9BBD-026F72835E32.jpeg

@diamondlove123 @SandyK @PintoBean @Matthews1127 @Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Hi all- so I went to Tiffany’s to try on a 3ct Halo for a a reference with regard to proportions, etc. They were able to bring in a 2.8 EC Halo. It was (ironically 6.88 X 9.04 (my old one was 7x9) and it looked quite substantial in person. I loved the daintiness of the halo and shank. I thought it was a bit “crusty” looking (for lack of better terms) in that it looks a little choppy w the metal. However, it made me feel more at peace with the halo concept and what to show Adam for proportions.

Again, interestingly enough, it looked much bigger and even daintier in person. Excuse my hands, as I clearly need lotion. PS @Emeraldsaremyfavorite I put the Metro Bands on to show you how it looks w the EC stone for a reference for yours. I also added a 2nd one to show you the “guard” look. I’m DEf having one made to look exactly like it. I love how dainty it is.

The “FIRST” Photo is how I want the diamonds to actually look (with the Tiffany Proportions). All thoughts welcome. Thank you again for all your help.

I love the first picture and the look of the halo. This is what also gave me the inspiration to do an EC halo ring a few years back. I cannot wait to see how yours will turn out. I think I will eventually do a halo for my EC as well. Are you making your ring out of plat or white gold?

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
The Tiffany setting.
I realize it’s rather open, already, but the EC in that photo tends to dim, at certain angles. I can’t help but think it’s contributed by the halo, to some degree....
@Matthews1127 I’m just not sure how that could be accomplished? Have you see. Other style baskets that are more open that you could show me? I’m glad you said that, as my CAD is definitely not that open and it’s probably an excellent point. I need to reconsider the style to allow the most light...

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I love the first picture and the look of the halo. This is what also gave me the inspiration to do an EC halo ring a few years back. I cannot wait to see how yours will turn out. I think I will eventually do a halo for my EC as well. Are you making your ring out of plat or white gold?
@diamondlove123 - It’s being made out of 90% platinum and 10% rhodium.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 I’m just not sure how that could be accomplished? Have you see. Other style baskets that are more open that you could show me? I’m glad you said that, as my CAD is definitely not that open and it’s probably an excellent point. I need to reconsider the style to allow the most light...

I have not, but I will search to try to find an example for you.
The halo is delicate, and should not shade the gallery too much. I just want to make sure your design allows the most light as possible to avoid any dim angles of your beautiful EC.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
QUOTE="Matthews1127, post: 4539240, member: 93015"]I have not, but I will search to try to find an example for you.
The halo is delicate, and should not shade the gallery too much. I just want to make sure your design allows the most light as possible to avoid any dim angles of your beautiful EC.[/QUOTE]
@Matthews1127 Wow. THANK YOU so much! I’m really so grateful you mentioned that being due the the fact it’s a J, I certainly need the most light so as to avoid enhancing any of its color.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, for $1,500 I would get the VC. I dont love all of VC's designs, but the Emilya is just tight and done right. There is no one I'd go to but VC for this look. If you are likely to seek out a reset again, then yeah save that $1,500.
Can’t agree with @PintoBean more. For $1500, it saves you a lot of stress and probable disappointment. It would be one thing if you didn’t really care how the halo looks. But you do. So face facts that you would probably be unhappy if it wasn’t exactly as you hope. And the fact that you are micromanaging way more than you should, and you know this, does not bode well.
You’ve already sunk that much money into the stone. Why scrimp on the setting which can completely affect how much you enjoy the ring in a daily basis?
I get you feel obligated to Adam, but you shouldn’t. You’re the one looking at the ring day in and day out. You have to take responsibility and do what is right for you. If it doesn’t turn out the way you want, you have no one to blame but yourself. And how will knowing that you tried to make Adam happy help you then?
Good luck. Please know I just want you to be happy with the final product.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@happysnowbunny’s halo ring.
E1EFB840-2CFE-4ABC-87CD-51F5F65A19C5.png 4593FFC5-9FB5-44B1-AD8A-5269146CF4CA.png C8C872E9-956E-43C8-996C-9A8AAE66492E.png

It’s not an EC, but it demonstrates the open gallery idea I’m thinking of.
This can be achieved with an EC.

What do you think?

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Can’t agree with @PintoBean more. For $1500, it saves you a lot of stress and probable disappointment. It would be one thing if you didn’t really care how the halo looks. But you do. So face facts that you would probably be unhappy if it wasn’t exactly as you hope. And the fact that you are micromanaging way more than you should, and you know this, does not bode well.
You’ve already sunk that much money into the stone. Why scrimp on the setting which can completely affect how much you enjoy the ring in a daily basis?
I get you feel obligated to Adam, but you shouldn’t. You’re the one looking at the ring day in and day out. You have to take responsibility and do what is right for you. If it doesn’t turn out the way you want, you have no one to blame but yourself. And how will knowing that you tried to make Adam happy help you then?
Good luck. Please know I just want you to be happy with the final product.
Lol. Yes- I agree. I may just set in a simple setting and give it more thought. Honestly- you are correct that $1500 is not a lot at the end of the day. However- there does have to be a cut off. We already went over budget by thousands. I appreciate the tough love (I really do appreciate any and all advice). Your comments make perfect sense. Thank you again! I think it will be a surprise at this point on what I get (and to me)! Haha.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
E1EFB840-2CFE-4ABC-87CD-51F5F65A19C5.png 4593FFC5-9FB5-44B1-AD8A-5269146CF4CA.png C8C872E9-956E-43C8-996C-9A8AAE66492E.png

What do you think?
@Hoppysnow

What do you think?
hi @peachy @happysnowbunny. Thank you both! For some reason the photos are showing up all blurry but it may be my internet. Thank you for sending them!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So glad you went and tried a halo on and felt it was substantial! I think the size of the melee is great and just have Adam tweak the fine details for you, to make it look really sleek and to your liking. Keep us updated!

And thank you for sharing the thin pave band with me, I tried that on at Tiffany’s actually and it just didn’t look good with my five stone. I’m starting to realize three and five sound settings are very hard to find a good match;)2

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
@SandyK ps. What setting will you be doing for your new stone? What did you end up getting? Ps. I actually looked to buy your 4ct!!! But it sold so fast (lucky girl) It was beautiful but (I get why you sold it though and good for you for being true to yourself :).

Ahh I had no idea, I wish I had known but your stone is incredible, so you definitely should not have any regrets!! (I have realized that I have very little patience for private sales and am very risk-averse haha, so I have a tendency to take a bigger loss just to sell more quickly and be done with it. I am definitely not going to get myself back into that situation ever again!!). I ended up finding a great deal on a 3ct, F color EC and I am going to have Maytal Hannah do the setting. So excited! I am 99% sure I'm going to put it into a simple solitaire setting, but still trying to make up my mind for sure.

Okay now off to catch up on the rest of this thread!

Last edited:

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
And just chiming in to agree with the others re choice of vendor - I hate disappointing other people and I completely understand why you feel like you should stay with Adam, but that isn't more important than getting exactly what you want for your setting. I'm not sure that is going to happen if you stay with Adam, and you are already really stressed about the final outcome. You can give Adam your business with a different project in the future! Like an old cut in a bezel pendant or bracelet or RHR. Vendors understand that sometimes things don't work out, and I really do think you need a pave master like Maytal or Victor. I think that Ring Concierge pic you posted is a good example of a halo setting letting in a lot of light, as @Matthews1127 noted.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh I had no idea, I wish I had known but your stone is incredible, so you definitely should not have any regrets!! (I have realized that I have very little patience for private sales and am very risk-averse haha, so I have a tendency to take a bigger loss just to sell more quickly and be done with it. I am definitely not going to get myself back into that situation ever again!!). I ended up finding a great deal on a 3ct, F color EC and I am going to have Maytal Hannah do the setting. So excited! I am 99% sure I'm going to put it into a simple solitaire setting, but still trying to make up my mind for sure.

Okay now off to catch up on the rest of this thread!
Good for you! I can’t wait to see it!! And I took quite a loss myself - as I was too afraid to sell privately.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
And just chiming in to agree with the others re choice of vendor - I hate disappointing other people and I completely understand why you feel like you should stay with Adam, but that isn't more important than getting exactly what you want for your setting. I'm not sure that is going to happen if you stay with Adam, and you are already really stressed about the final outcome. You can give Adam your business with a different project in the future! Like an old cut in a bezel pendant or bracelet or RHR. Vendors understand that sometimes things don't work out, and I really do think you need a pave master like Maytal or Victor. I think that Ring Concierge pic you posted is a good example of a halo setting letting in a lot of light, as @Matthews1127 noted.
So - I gave it all a lot of thought and spoke w my husband. I know many will not understand this but I am just going to have faith and stick w Adam. He assured me the bench he uses (in NYC) is one of the best. I also know he is good friends w (Caysie) Of CVB Design’s and often collaborates w her. I love her work. Each design he has recommended was exquisite. I was just trying to make mine look “different”. While I love classical and traditional things, I always like to throw in my own personal twist. Therefore, that is what I was trying to do. However, I believe at the detriment of the final outcome. I have decided to just provide him with a photo of what my overall goal is and to stipulate a few things I feel strongly about (dainty, deep u cut pave and slight tilt on halo- as to avoid a shelf like appearance, which he said they would have done regardless). I also read thru all of fellow pricescoper, Franki’s posts and her journey of finding the perfect halo. Her ring is absolutely spectacular. That being said, I also loved Steven Kirsch’s... Leon’s I did not care for bc I felt the halo was too large. So, while I am particular, I know I will be happy if it is dainty and less metal. Adam is 100% confident this will be achieved. If you ever met him, you’d see how sincere he is. Call me crazy but I am just going to have a leap of faith. If I really hate it, I’ll just make it a traditional 3 stone baguette setting (which I almost did as my first choice). My husband is fine if that’s the case and just really likes Adam and thinks it will all turn out fine. So who knows, perhaps this will all turn out alright and then there will be an additional option..... and with a little savings. Wish me luck. Xoxo

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
So - I gave it all a lot of thought and spoke w my husband. I know many will not understand this but I am just going to have faith and stick w Adam. He assured me the bench he uses (in NYC) is one of the best. I also know he is good friends w (Caysie) Of CVB Design’s and often collaborates w her. I love her work. Each design he has recommended was exquisite. I was just trying to make mine look “different”. While I love classical and traditional things, I always like to throw in my own personal twist. Therefore, that is what I was trying to do. However, I believe at the detriment of the final outcome. I have decided to just provide him with a photo of what my overall goal is and to stipulate a few things I feel strongly about (dainty, deep u cut pave and slight tilt on halo- as to avoid a shelf like appearance, which he said they would have done regardless). I also read thru all of fellow pricescoper, Franki’s posts and her journey of finding the perfect halo. Her ring is absolutely spectacular. That being said, I also loved Steven Kirsch’s... Leon’s I did not care for bc I felt the halo was too large. So, while I am particular, I know I will be happy if it is dainty and less metal. Adam is 100% confident this will be achieved. If you ever met him, you’d see how sincere he is. Call me crazy but I am just going to have a leap of faith. If I really hate it, I’ll just make it a traditional 3 stone baguette setting (which I almost did as my first choice). My husband is fine if that’s the case and just really likes Adam and thinks it will all turn out fine. So who knows, perhaps this will all turn out alright and then there will be an additional option..... and with a little savings. Wish me luck. Xoxo
This makes sense, and you (and your husband!) have obviously put a lot of thought into this. Adam has a great reputation and I am sure that he would not promise something he did not feel his bench could execute, and I'm really excited to see the final product!! I hope that you do not end up having to wait too long -- waiting on bling is the worst!! And haha yes, good plan about just sticking to the high level guidance and then taking a step back from the process ;)2

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
This makes sense, and you (and your husband!) have obviously put a lot of thought into this. Adam has a great reputation and I am sure that he would not promise something he did not feel his bench could execute, and I'm really excited to see the final product!! I hope that you do not end up having to wait too long -- waiting on bling is the worst!! And haha yes, good plan about just sticking to the high level guidance and then taking a step back from the process ;)2
Hahha. It is torture waiting. I think I bought it 3 weeks ago now? But once I had decided upon a halo- I had the CAD 2 days later. Adam was then on vacation and I was in limbo trying to decide which direction to go. Now that he’s back and I’m committed - I hope I can get it ASAP! :appl:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Emeraldcutlover
Did you ever get to see examples of finished rings from OWD with the type of pave/settings you are wanting?
If so- can you please share?
Thank you -

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
@Emeraldcutlover
Did you ever get to see examples of finished rings from OWD with the type of pave/settings you are wanting?
If so- can you please share?
Thank you -
@Rfisher Hi- Yes, I did! We changed it drastically to be lower, more simple open basket and a round shank. Overall it looks much simpler. I figured I would wait and just show everyone the final product, as I did not want to analyze it any further for fear of me ruining it (as OWD did see photos of my vision and the CAD did look accordingly). Also, in fairness, I really cannot tell how the end result would be based on it, as it portrays add’l thickness due to the fact that the metal will be shaved away for the pave. I gave the go ahead on Thursday, so maybe I will have it next week? I’m not sure how long it typically takes. I’m hopeful it will be beautiful :). Thanks so much for asking.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I'm confused. If this is handforged, why is there a CAD and wax mold involved at all?

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi- I believe a Computer Aided Design is sometimes used for a client to see more clearly what the final
Outcome would be. (I’ve seen examples of this on here w other hand forgers to their clients). A wax mold is used for a visual, derived from the CAD. At the time, I really needed to see how it would feel, fit and sit on my hand and they said they could do this for me. There is an add’l charge for this actual model (if I were to scrap the whole idea and go w something completely different). Not a ton but something. To your question, some parts may be perhaps not hand forged but I know most of it will be. I personally do not care about that, as long as the end result is what I was hoping for. Also- it was a very fair price and I do not feel like I would be over paying by any means if some parts have been cast. I know another vendor we heard via a PS member that not all of their work is but I believe the problem was that they felt that they had “paid” a premium for that service, as well as, the advertising of it being that. I can clarify w OWD if you are interested in a setting from them. Im attaching something I found after your question.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with the project. If you’re committed then here is no other way to move except forward. I do know Adam is a great guy. I bought my oec from him. So I know he is sincere. Whether he is correct is a whole other issue. To claim that his bench can reproduce VC level work is reaching a bit. And I’ve seen hIs bench bench work IRL. I think part of it will be being reasonable with your expectations. If you haven’t seen one of Victor’s halos IRL, that may be a good thing. You may never even know exactly what to expect. Good luck and I hope your ring is everything you hope for.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP
I truly hope your ring is everything you dream it to be.
My concern is that you have noted at least twice that OWD is a good choice for the design you want because of the existing business relationship with CVB.
I can see someone coming in PS for guidance and being misled by this thread.
He offers some of her line, and I do believe he can finish some of her items at his location. I’m trying to remember how he described it to me. But I can’t exactly.
One’s je ne sais quoi isn’t transferred to the other by osmosis.
I truly hope your ring is everything you dream of.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher I agree with you that it doesn't sound like this has anything to do with Caysie because her bench is not in NYC, for one thing. So it is best to have that clear that his custom setting is his own design and bench.

I can't wait to see your ring, emeraldcutlover!

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
@Rfisher I agree with you that it doesn't sound like this has anything to do with Caysie because her bench is not in NYC, for one thing. So it is best to have that clear that his custom setting is his own design and bench.

I can't wait to see your ring, emeraldcutlover!
Yes. My apologies if I sounded as if I was suggesting that. What I meant was that he is good friends w her and also has worked w her and appreciates her craftsmanship and therefore (to me) was aware of the type of quality I was after. He said he has total confidence w his bench. It personally made me feel better that he had mentioned her bc I think her rings are beautiful. @LLJsmom - I want to be crystal clear that I never said that OWD compared themselves to VC whatsoever. His name was never mentioned. He only stated his relationship w Caysie and her settings are so beautiful. He asked me to look at her designs to see if I liked them. He then said he works w a great bench that he is completely confident with to create a beautiful and quality piece. To your other point, While I am after a setting w good craftsmanship, I did state that I am not picky enough as to have to have a VC ring. My LM ring was a big disappointment to me and I paid thru the nose it. I am not looking for perfection. I just want it to be dainty and beautiful to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results