shape
carat
color
clarity

P.S members whats your occupation ?...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

palmbaybabe

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! I am a commercial insurance rater (don''t ask!) but yes, i love my job - at least with this company

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello

I am a fulltime law student. Should graduate in 1 1/2 years hopefully..

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/10/2004 2
6.gif
4:29 PM
Author: Bethanying
I am a speech-langauge pathologist. I diagnose and treat speech and language disorders. I work with a myriad of kids- ranging from a simple ''r'' problem to those with Down Syndrome, Cerebral palsy, autism, etc.

Love the kids. I am getting a little bored with my current occupational situation. Would soon like to move to work with birth- age 3. I have kids from 3-22 now.

B :)
Hi,

I too am a speech/language pathologist and work in the schools in Michigan. I do love working with my students after all these years (24) but am really sick and tired of the special education paperwork. Its going to drive me out of this profession for sure. I also play the flute (freelance) for extra pocket money.

Suz

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
I am a talent manager in Los Angeles working primarily with actors, but we do handle one "up and coming" band. The hours are long, but I love what I do, so it is worth it. It is the pefect profession for me. I am able to combine aspects of my personality- I satisfy my love for the art of performance, my need to nurture, and my strange desire to make a deal.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bump up for new members.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a school counselor - for the past 20 years - work in elementary school. K-5. (worked at an alcohol treatment center until I finished my masters)...Have taught lots of parenting classes, including court-ordered classes for divorcing parents.....I enjoy what I do, but it is sometimes very hectic!!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am student at the University of Alabama...I have one year left and hard core internship. I like school okay but I would like a job where I get paid.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I just read this thread, glad to see so many nurses! I have been a nurse for 22 years. I started out in orthopedics and neurology, then for a couple of years I was worked in admistration as an admissions coordinator AND as a discharge planner (opposite ends of the spectum), and finally for 10 years I worked as an ER nurse, and moonlighted as a transport nurse/paramedic. I got pretty burned out after that gig, and "retired" 6 years ago after my youngest was born to be a stay-at-home-mommy. That has been the BEST job I''ve had so far
1.gif
, although I really love being a nurse and miss working in the ER a lot sometimes. My hubby is an ER doc, so I get to live vicariously through him most of the time, and I get to hang out with the old ER cronies sometimes. I''m still licensed to practice in the state of Illinois as an RN, and I''m thinking about recerting as an EMT soon so that I can work part time for the local fire department''s rescue squad. Hubby doesn''t really like that idea, though.
20.gif

In the last 6 years while doing my mommy stuff, I have also been working on resurrecting my musical ambitions, which was what I spent much of my early life training for. Does anyone know of a band that needs a pretty good jazz saxophonist or a keyboard/piano player with classical training?
9.gif

Van Graff

Rough_Rock
I have two very different jobs that I love and I am very happy working doing what I do, one is jeweler because my family is of jewelers for generations.

Since I was a kid I played with all the jewelry tools and machinery in my father''s shop and at an age of 11 or 12 one of the old master jewelers taught me to do jewelry at the bench, I had the best teachers there and I love to creating jewelry.
As a kid on vacations I helped my father sieving or selecting the small diamonds with a kind of percolator to separate the different sizes of mele and doing several parcels of different sizes and selecting the stones to set the pieces, lots of small diamonds and color stones.

My other job is designing and making propulsion rocket systems and aircraft parts, I have a very small aerospace company.
I invented the pentametallic catalyst pack used in the rockets (playing with the jewelry galvanic process) and I invented also a machine to produce the rocket fuel (90-98% hydrogen peroxide).
I have a great passion for speed and I am making three rocket powered racing vehicles for quarter mile drag racing.
I am a commercial aircraft pilot (fixed and rotor wing) but I don''t fly any more.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I am a newly licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in Orange County (CA, not NJ). I am trying to start up a private practice, but marketing is my weakness that I''m trying to make my strength!! I also teach part-time for a educational seminar company.

Do I love my job? I love providing therapy and working with the clients I do have. I also love teaching!! I''ll be happier when my practice takes off and I can then make my own hours...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2005 11:41:47 PM
Author: Van Graff
I have two very different jobs that I love and I am very happy working doing what I do, one is jeweler because my family is of jewelers for generations.

Since I was a kid I played with all the jewelry tools and machinery in my father''s shop and at an age of 11 or 12 one of the old master jewelers taught me to do jewelry at the bench, I had the best teachers there and I love to creating jewelry.
As a kid on vacations I helped my father sieving or selecting the small diamonds with a kind of percolator to separate the different sizes of mele and doing several parcels of different sizes and selecting the stones to set the pieces, lots of small diamonds and color stones.

My other job is designing and making propulsion rocket systems and aircraft parts, I have a very small aerospace company.
I invented the pentametallic catalyst pack used in the rockets (playing with the jewelry galvanic process) and I invented also a machine to produce the rocket fuel (90-98% hydrogen peroxide).
I have a great passion for speed and I am making three rocket powered racing vehicles for quarter mile drag racing.
I am a commercial aircraft pilot (fixed and rotor wing) but I don''t fly any more.
Juan
WOW!!! 2 fun jobs a master jeweler and a rocket scientist.
6.gif
36.gif
36.gif

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Hi all , this is a fun and interesting thread. I am currently a stay at home Mom. I love my job and I am so glad my DH is able to afford me to stay home. we just found out we are expecting another.
Before I became a mommy I was and interior lanscaper in Philly, Nj and suburbs. I worked for a large company and we installed and maintained interior landscapes, I loved that job! I always had a passion for plants and design. I worked in that industry for almost 10 yrs.
I also make handbags, very simple but fun bags and sell them locally. It is something to keep me busy, not that my 2 yr old doesn''t!!!

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
I'm juggling my 2 jobs as a Pediatrician and mom to a 3 year old. I work four days a week.

Fortunately my husband has flexible hours and is able to help with our daughter a lot. He is an insurance agent. My little girl is in preschool/afterschool daycare five days a week.

I never wanted to work in any other profession than what I am doing.

So when I am actually seeing patients and doing what I trained to do that is what keeps me going in my job.

The other stuff - the business end of the profession and the sometimes long hours can be a drag (although I'm part time so I have worked things out there to about as good as it can get).

My plan is to become increasingly part time as I get closer and closer to retirement age.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
I''m the Director of Training and Marketing for a Wholesale Optical Co. here on LI...I love my job, no day is ever the same, as I''m also called upon to handle Human Resources...quite the challenge! I''ve been with them for 10 years doing everything from "Girl Friday" work to CS Manager and everything in between, but have been at my current position for 5 yrs.

Very shortly my job will be changing to Account Manager for Manhattan
23.gif
so I''m trading in my comfort zone and office job for hitting the streets of NYC on a daily basis! In theory, I did it for the challenge and for the potential to earn more $$ (next year''s jewelry want list includes diamond studs & pendant
3.gif
) but right now I''m scared I did the wrong thing......

Anyone in Sales who would like to lend some wisdom & helpful hints? I''d be more than greatful!

BTW- my BFA is in Fine Art photography with an emphasis on 19th Century processes...how I ended up in the Optical Field is still a mystery.....

mary

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am a nurse administrator. Love my rings. I can now wear them to work since I no longer do physical patient care.

m

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
I''m currently a Federal Employee doing Administrative Work. A step above the secretary job I had til last year. It pays well especially considering I work 4 days/week. And I enjoy it. The job I loved the most was my stay at home mom to two boys job (never felt like a job), but since that job is no longer in demand (both in college now), I work to pay for their education. After 3 years of college, I married my DH, so I may go back in a couple of years and complete my degree. I was a economics major, but I don''t think that''s what I want to do. Too boring. If I get an engineering degree (which I''ve considered), I could keep working where I currently am and they would help pay for it, so that may be what I end up doing. My dream job is being a "kept woman" as my DH puts it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2004 3:17:43 PM
Author: sparker

Date: 12/10/2004 2
6.gif
4:29 PM
Author: Bethanying
I am a speech-langauge pathologist. I diagnose and treat speech and language disorders. I work with a myriad of kids- ranging from a simple ''r'' problem to those with Down Syndrome, Cerebral palsy, autism, etc.

Love the kids. I am getting a little bored with my current occupational situation. Would soon like to move to work with birth- age 3. I have kids from 3-22 now.

B :)
Hi,

I too am a speech/language pathologist and work in the schools in Michigan. I do love working with my students after all these years (24) but am really sick and tired of the special education paperwork. Its going to drive me out of this profession for sure. I also play the flute (freelance) for extra pocket money.

Suz
My sister is a SLP for a local school district (rockwood). She LOVES it.

Christy42

Shiny_Rock
I''m a self-employed CPA. Tax season just ended! Yay!!!!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!!!! Party!!!!!!! Sorry, just a teensy bit excited.
36.gif

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
I am a veterinarian (small animals only) p/t and a f/t mom to three (6,4, almost 2). My husband is also a vet. He owns three animal hospitals which works out great for me because he can squeeze me in somewhere when I get the chance to leave the kids for the day.

I wanted to be a vet since I was three, so it was surprising to many when I decided to become a f/t mommy after my first baby was born. Probably most surprising to me!
9.gif

I love both my jobs very much.

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I just graduated w/my M.S.W ( masters in clinical social work)...on the hunt for a job as a therapist....have had a few interviews at children''s homes in my area....just starting out in my career...exciting! I am a little scared though, I have been in school since I was 4...never actually worked a full time job except camp counselor in the summer

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow Jesses Girl! Good Luck with your jub hunt. Bless you heart...I hope you land a job you love.

Rebemdee

Shiny_Rock
I''m a psychiatrist. I really enjoy my job; I do outpatient and inpatient consult work, and have an interesting mix of patients, from the severely mentally ill to those who will recover quickly. It''s wonderful to see people get back to their baseline function and get back to their lives.

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the bump. it has been interesting to read about everyone.

i am an architect/designer. my full time work is mostly corporate interiors. my freelance work takes a turn towards residntial and high end retail. almost all modern, clean aesthetic, and refined spaces.

....and if that isnt enough to keep me busy, then i do web design (mostly flash)

some days seem to drag on forever, but for the most part i like what i do.
26.gif

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a registered pharmacist (I think the only one that I have seen on this forum!
2.gif
) I really like my job but some days I totally hate it.

I am working part time right now b/c my kids are very little. I like the flexibility of my profession - there are many areas a pharmacist can work in besides your neighborhood pharmacy.
9.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just read this whole thread and . . . wow!

Right now, I''m a financial planner/corporate lender for a credit union here in Dallas. I was only meant to be here temporarily as I came from the software industry in 2002, but was laid off due to my inablility to relocate with the company I was with. I am anxiously awaiting word on a new job with another software company startup here in Dallas. I''ll be running Business Development for the company, and eventually take over their contract negotiation division as well. Keep your fingers crossed! I should know something by this afternoon!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Ohh this is a fun thread!

I am just finishing my first year as a medical student (a mere three more years to go), and this summer I''ll be heading back to the lab to do some research.

I''m not sure what kind of doctor I want to be yet, but I am learning thus far toward ophthalmology or anesthesiology. And probably later a fellowship in pediatrics- so perhaps I''ll be a pediatric ophthalmologist someday!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Interesting that there seems to be quite a few people in the medical fields......

I work for the local newspaper. My job is Database Marketing & Market Research. I''m the person who finds and keeps all the creepy information about individuals...what they do for a living, how much they make, what they buy, how often they shop via internet, how many kids they have etc. You would be amazed at the trail of bread crumbs everyone leaves. We use the information for stastical analysis (what type of people buy our products) or for news stories (tell about people who live in the neighborhood where something important just happened) or for advertising (Lowes wants a list of everyone with wood siding so they can send a flyer for vinyl siding.) Mostly I like my job. Newspapers are funny that each department is kind of a "silo" and departments don''t really work much together. So, my job is supposed to neutral...so everyone will use my services. It''s kind of fun getting to know all the different areas.....

Ideally, I''d like to do a more creative job. I really like flower gardeing, painting, photographer etc.... I''d also like more time at home with my 8 year old son. Someday....

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock
Jack of all trades, but master of none. These were jobs that I had after graduating college.
-Contract Tax Consultant
-Ex Project Engineer downsized by the dot com bust and now a Domestic Engineer

Current Interests:
-Budget Traveller who is an avid reader of the Lonely Planet
-Wannabe Jewelry Queen/Pricescope Lurker
-Relocating back to the fire at the end of the month...Silicon Valley...I hope I don''t get burned this second time around.

Jobs that I loved:
-Volunteer Teacher''s Aid during college for the America Reads program
-English Teacher in a foreign country
-Working for my parents'' restaurant as their bartender/dishwasher/bus girl...I got to spend time with the people I loved and not have to stress out about crazy deadlines, corporate politics, and downsizing.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2005 12:15:27 PM
Author: icekid
I''m not sure what kind of doctor I want to be yet, but I am learning thus far toward ophthalmology or anesthesiology. And probably later a fellowship in pediatrics- so perhaps I''ll be a pediatric ophthalmologist someday!

William Potter in Greenwich, Connecticut.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/2/2005 12:15:27 PM
Author: icekid
Ohh this is a fun thread!

I am just finishing my first year as a medical student (a mere three more years to go), and this summer I'll be heading back to the lab to do some research.

I'm not sure what kind of doctor I want to be yet, but I am learning thus far toward ophthalmology or anesthesiology. And probably later a fellowship in pediatrics- so perhaps I'll be a pediatric ophthalmologist someday!
Everyone we know in the medical field keeps telling us that the two most lucrative areas of medicine right now are anesthesiology and radiology. If you decide on anesthesiology instead of opthamology, and do the peds fellowship, you could always work as an anesthesiologist in a children's hospital. I think that most hospitals are always looking for (and willing to pay a premium for) any type of specialty who also has done a peds fellowship.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results