shape
carat
color
clarity

P.S members whats your occupation ?...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/10/2004 9
6.gif
1:13 PM
Author: onedrop

Date: 12/10/2004 6:23:20 PM
Author: Buena Girl
Civil Engineer, mostly dealing with highway transportation

I like what I do, but hate having to deal with some of the people. Has anyone near Washington D.C or Baltimore heard of the ICC (Intercounty Connector) ?
Buena: I live in Maryland. My parents live in Mont. Co. We know ALL about the ICC. I can only imagine what you have to deal with given the differing opinions on whether it should be built!
yup, fun times
26.gif

There are dozens (maybe hundreds?) of engineers and environmentalists working on ICC plans. We get lots of phone calls and emails making sure "we are on the same page as everyone else".

The citizens from Mo.Co. who have talked to me whenever I have been doing field work are usually o.k. Some of the more oppinionated citizens who have come to Public Meetings have been a lilltle scarier.
32.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2004 6:23:20 PM
Author: Buena Girl
Civil Engineer, mostly dealing with highway transportation

I like what I do, but hate having to deal with some of the people. Has anyone near Washington D.C or Baltimore heard of the ICC (Intercounty Connector) ?
Oh Yeah, I''ve heard of it.
2.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I am one of the lucky ones who also works from my home -- mostly in my pijamas! I''m a medical transcriptionist. My main account is a hospital in Washington, DC. I live in Southern Maryland. I really do love what I do. I''ve been doing it for 14 years. I got into it because I wanted to have children and be at home to raise them. I''m up at 5 a.m. everyday, but I''m able to work on a flexible schedule so I can manage my home/family responsibilities too.

DiamondLil

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2004 11:43:46 AM
Author: sevens one
I''m an unpaid chef, counselor, taxi driver, financial advisor,teacher, nurse, house cleaner,referee, landscaper,party planner, fashion consultant, financial institution (or so it seems), AND finder of lost items!!!!

AND my kids'' biggest fan!
31.gif
VERY well said, Nan.
emwink.gif

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Sevens, you have 7 children? Did I read that right?? Awesome! I feel like such a wimp as I only have one, and I can't keep up with her! What age range?

Dancing Fire, I have a business degree (two actually) and a business background with a Fortune 200 company in the automotive industry. Spent many years there until my husband and I needed a change of pace (began to HATE that job with all the politics!!). Moved to a resort town where the motto is 'you lose 1/2 your pay for a view of the bay'! It is true, but this is a very lovely area and worth it for the quieter pace.

I am now a certified Pilates instructor (how is that for a real change of pace??) and own my studio. I have been teaching for about 4 years now. I received my certification from New York so I spent a lot of time in the city. I am considered a 3rd generation Pilates teacher as my certifier obtained her credentials from Romana Kryzanowska. Romana worked directly with Joseph Pilates and his wife Clara for many years. I have had the pleasure of working with another of Joseph Pilates master teachers (one that worked with Joseph and Clara for over 20 years). I LOVE my job!! It is so rewarding to help other people achieve their physical goals and in the process improve their confidence in themselves. I have had the opportunity to work with some clients with some pretty debilitating physical issues who have had great success with Pilates! There is a lot involved to getting the proper education and certification.

So Dancing Fire (I think I liked Vtigger better!), since I am so busy in the summer time, I really only have a modicum of time to spend on the 'yacht'!
8.gif
My husband is retired also, but unlike you, he does not have an interest in diamonds!
7.gif
Maybe you could talk to him for me???

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Another RN here...I work in a small ER...I like it...am going to grad school as well...just to keep me out of trouble...and the tuition is keeping me from buying more diamonds :(

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
I''m paid to be a nurse! I''m also a non-paid housekeeper, dog sitter, and im currently going to school all over again as I help my daughter do her work and projects! Her last project, The Ghost Orchid, was interesting, but some is boring.....I also clean, cook, and get very stressed out!!!!I have 4 children, and yep thats including the husband and precious dogs!
face20.gif

Lori/yellow

sdm

Rough_Rock
I work at a university in human resources in the area of training and organizational development. I really like my job....I mostly train in the areas of professional development type of classes: effective business writing, management development, preventing sexual harassment, time management, etc.

I have also worked as a certified massage therapist...I loved that job. Of course in that job I didn''t wear any rings, so I missed seeing my jewelry
emteeth.gif

stephinextremis

Rough_Rock
I am the office manager for a small telecommunications company in Orange County, CA. The company is so small that I am one of only two people on payroll! I run the show and work alone just about every day, which means I do basically everything: A/P, A/R, reception, dispatch, customer service, troubleshooting, even the filing and coffee making. My boss (the owner) is in the office once in a blue moon, but prefers to be out at the job sites with the technicians. It can be stressful, since I have had to become familiar with a lot of technology and terminology I didn''t know previously, and since everything really is MY problem
6.gif
Some days it''s a lot to have on my shoulders!

This job is really more of a placeholder. I studied aviation science in school, and I''m still not doing what I want to do "when I grow up." I''ve been recommended for hire to the FAA for a position as an air traffic controller (which is what I WANT to do), but they''re mired in politics and reorganization so I have no clue when that may actually happen...for now, I''m in a good place, though.

Stephanie

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
I''m a receptionist/admin chick at the moment. It''s nothing fascinating but it pays the bills and lets me study as I am doing 2 courses at the moment - My diploma in Travel & Tourism and my Diploma in Gemmology.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!

I am an eye doctor. I LOVE my chosen career. There are so many facets to the profession and I never get bored. But sometimes I don''t like my actual job. I work for a group practice. I love being able to meet new people and help give them the greatest gift ever--sight. I learn something from each patient encounter. I don''t get a lot of respect though, because I am young and female. Older patients tend to question me a lot "How long have you been doing this" etc (almost 3 years now!). That''s when I start to think "I spent this many dollars and this much time in school and this is the respect I get?" My coworkers are the greatest but the management leaves something to be desired. They also cram too many patients on my schedule and a lot of times I get behind because I like to spend time talking to and educating my patients, and getting to know them. Hopefully someday when I get my student loan debt down a bit I can buy into or start my own practice and work under MY rules on MY time! 8^)

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Hey all, this is fun. I am a VP of a consulting firm and a springboard diving coach. I would really like to help animals in some way. That is my goal!!!
28.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2004 10:18:56 PM
Author: glaucomflecken
Hi everyone!

I am an eye doctor. I LOVE my chosen career. There are so many facets to the profession and I never get bored. But sometimes I don''t like my actual job. I work for a group practice. I love being able to meet new people and help give them the greatest gift ever--sight. I learn something from each patient encounter. I don''t get a lot of respect though, because I am young and female. Older patients tend to question me a lot ''How long have you been doing this'' etc (almost 3 years now!). That''s when I start to think ''I spent this many dollars and this much time in school and this is the respect I get?'' My coworkers are the greatest but the management leaves something to be desired. They also cram too many patients on my schedule and a lot of times I get behind because I like to spend time talking to and educating my patients, and getting to know them. Hopefully someday when I get my student loan debt down a bit I can buy into or start my own practice and work under MY rules on MY time! 8^)
HI:

My girlfriend is in Optometric school (is that the correct terminology??) in Chicago at present. Hope they aren''t working her tooooooo hard!!!!

cheers--Sharon

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2004 8:50:28 PM
Author: doxiemom

Also I am in NC and in search of a mortgage W/out PMI!
9.gif
(Looking to be a first time home buyer
1.gif
)
A suggestion.....if your credit is good, ask your mortgage company about an 80/15/5 or an 80/10/10 loan.

In both scenarios, the primary mortgage is only 80% (hence the 80/).....the second number is the percentage of the second mortgage, and the third number is the % down.

By keeping the primary mortgage to 80% LTV, you can avoid paying PMI.

My hubby and I just bought our first home and we did an 80/10/10. We put down 10%, took a first mortgage for 80% of loan, and took the second mortgage for the remaining 10%. It saved us about $125/mo in PMI!

It''s also a way to reduce your mortgage payment.....we plan to pay off our second mortgage within 3-4 years, and when we do, our mortgage payment will drop $250 a month.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock

Buena Girl, hang in there! My fiance'' was a Planner with Maryland Park and Planning and those community meetings can be a handful. I sure hope the ICC gets built in my life time and the Purple line too!

genie

Rough_Rock
I am in Medical School, but I am graduating in May 2005! I am applying for residency in pediatrics in CA. I live in northern VA right now and school in DC, but planning on moving back to my home state.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am an Art Director. I think my technical term is "Director of Print Graphics" But in all reality, Im a graphic designer.

simplepleasures

Rough_Rock
I''m a photographer and an newby digital artist

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2004 4:56:19 PM
Author: yellowfan
I'm paid to be a nurse!

Lori/yellow

Curious what you were thinking about the St John's Mercy strike.

Sounds to me like the hospital is not very interested in keeping a happy, well-compensated and well-trained staff.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/13/2004 10:12:25 AM
Author: canuk-gal
Date: 12/12/2004 10:18:56 PM

Author: glaucomflecken

Hi everyone!

I am an eye doctor. I LOVE my chosen career. There are so many facets to the profession and I never get bored. But sometimes I don''t like my actual job. I work for a group practice. I love being able to meet new people and help give them the greatest gift ever--sight. I learn something from each patient encounter. I don''t get a lot of respect though, because I am young and female. Older patients tend to question me a lot ''How long have you been doing this'' etc (almost 3 years now!). That''s when I start to think ''I spent this many dollars and this much time in school and this is the respect I get?'' My coworkers are the greatest but the management leaves something to be desired. They also cram too many patients on my schedule and a lot of times I get behind because I like to spend time talking to and educating my patients, and getting to know them. Hopefully someday when I get my student loan debt down a bit I can buy into or start my own practice and work under MY rules on MY time! 8^)
HI:

My girlfriend is in Optometric school (is that the correct terminology??) in Chicago at present. Hope they aren''t working her tooooooo hard!!!!

cheers--Sharon

Hi Sharon!

We just called it optometry school. I graduated from the same school in Chicago!!! Its a great school and I had fun. But yes, they do work ya pretty hard there!
34.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2004 10
6.gif
3:57 AM
Author: Jean
Hey all, this is fun. I am a VP of a consulting firm and a springboard diving coach. I would really like to help animals in some way. That is my goal!!!
28.gif
Jean~
What type of consulting do you do?

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ame!

I hope your getting settled into your new home! Basically, at St. John''s they should give into the requests, replacement nurses will have a hard time with routines, and such of the staff there. Nursing is not the easiest/hardest job, but there are patients health at risk and uping the payscale and benefits for the nurses will not bust the bank. St Johns is one of the major trauma areas besides being flown downtown to Barnes. Looked at hospital bill lately and see what you''re charged? A fortune. I don''t work at St. Johns but I know a lot that do and I think nurses are worth the $$$. Personally go to MO Baptist or downtown.

Take Care!

Lori/yellow

indigirl

Rough_Rock
I''m a flash developer/requirements analyst/java and html geek for a small startup. And I get to work from home, most of the time. That perk makes up for the long hours!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
After not working for 26 years, I am now building homes! How did I get myself into this - hmmm?

I love what I do - right after I get new plans from the architect, I start seeing all the great things I want to "do" to the house. Most times I only get a ways into it before we sell the house. I always fret that the new owners will mess up our baby! But after a while, the house just becomes another house, though we are always proud of the finished product. We build mostly custom homes 3500 sq. ft. and up. We also build about 3 spec homes a year. I honestly have to say the job has allowed me to meet some wonderful people. My office is 95 miles from my home, so I have a few nights away from home per week, which is the downfall to this and the money is not great, but the opportunities are!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
10% parent coordinator at my kids' elementary school (mostly a volunteer job), 90% Domestic Engineer or Domestic Goddess as I love to call myself. I love my job(s). Sometimes the pay stinks
9.gif
but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Sevens, I didn't realize you had 7!!!! I have less than half of what you have in children (3), and somedays it's all I can do just to declare my sanity!!
32.gif

From a bumper sticker which was given to me by my MIL (similar to Seven's job description):
"Chauffer, Chef, Answering Service, Social Director,Boss, Banker, Zoo Keeper...MOM!!"

Sevens, it must be fate we have such similar careers. Heck, this year I even added "General Contractor" to my job description. And guess what? I survived it and lived to tell!
9.gif

Ann, welcome to Pricescope! I am also on a similar path as you. After building our house this year, my DH swears I can do this for a living, and has pegged out a career for me as the project manager building more homes once the market settles down here. We plan to do as you are doing, build homes for others and spec them out. I really enjoyed the managment part of it, though it was stressful at times as we had our personal vested interest in this home. For spec homes I'm hoping that we could separate ourselves emotionally from it and just keep it strictly business. Things should be much easier next time around.

What a fun thread!

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Ann and Kmom, I think women make exceptional builders!! They tend to have an extremely good eye for details. Our house was built by a woman and her attention to the little things was phenominal.
9.gif

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
I am a high school English teacher...I went through the post and I can''t imagine I''m the only teacher on here. Do I love my job? Absolutely. I get to talk about cool books everyday! klr

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
I am an RN but have never worked as a nurse, go figure, by the time I was done with nursing school..............I wanted nothing to do with it LOL. I worked for years as a construction manager for residential construction company and quit to be a SAHM to my now 6yo dd. After I got divorced when she was 2, I sold on Ebay full time until I got married a little over a year ago. I still sold on Ebay part time until a few months ago and now my only job is to bake these babies that are growing in my belly :)

Jaime

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2004 5:28:13 PM
Author: heart prongs
I am a high school English teacher...I went through the post and I can''t imagine I''m the only teacher on here. Do I love my job? Absolutely. I get to talk about cool books everyday! klr
HI:

Although technically I am a registered nurse. I taught nursing in an undergraduate program at the University here (BScN) , and also taught in a practical nurse (LPN) program. In fact my Masters is in Adult Education as well as my uncompleted PhD. So you are, in principle, not alone!!! Glad you love your job--I cannot imagine it is a very easy one. BTW, I loved English in High School and University--I learned soooo much!

cheers--Sharon

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2004 5:28:13 PM
Author: heart prongs
HP, I''m also a substitute teacher, but for lower elem in mostly grades K-4. I don''t go higher than that because the kids are all much bigger than me (yes, including some 5th graders--I''m only a petite 4''11") so I steer away from them. Middle school is a no-no, and high school is a hell-no.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results